Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 2:15:04 PM EDT
I recently applied for a new Passport… my old one was expired so I had to start over.   I have heard lots of horror stories about delays… so I was expecting the worst.  Here is what I experienced:

First, I accessed the forms on the State Department’s website, completed them and then printed them.  Then I called a local USPS office and made an appointment to turn in the application in person.  

The day of my appointment (7/9), the two guys in front of me were turned away… one did not have an appointment and the other had used an outdated application form.   I gave the postal worker my completed Application form, my old Passport, my 2 new photos and two checks ($75 & $25).  She checked my driver’s license, completed her part of the Application and said it should arrive in about a month.  I was expecting 1 ½ to 2 months.  

I was really surprised when I got home from work today (7/21) and found it in my mailbox… 12 days total.  Yes, I am impressed.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You could have saved yourself $25 as well as the time wasted making and going to an appointment if you had just put the application, the old passport and a $75 check  in an envelope and just mailed it to the State Department. Mine took about 7 days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You could have saved yourself $25 as well as the time wasted making and going to an appointment if you had just put the application, the old passport and a $75 check  in an envelope and just mailed it to the State Department. Mine took about 7 days.

Yep.

I also put a note on my old passport and it arrived back in the mail a few days after my new one, so I could keep it as a momento.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I renew them directly, and save the old ones. I have aged well, but why is my hair so white?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to London in August and paid for the rush treatment on my application.  Got everything back in two weeks.  Surprisingly easy.  The part that concerned me was that they mailed my old Passport and my orginal birth certificate with the application and they arrived in regular mail.  Not even a signature to confirm delivery.  I asked the postman, "What happens if my birth certificate gets lost?"  He said, "Then you have a problem with the government."  Luckily, everything worked out...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I renew them directly, and save the old ones. I have aged well, but why is my hair so white?

What in the hell is this "hair" you speak of....????

I cant find mine, that was so abundant, on my first Passport photo.......

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Just renewed my as well.  I put the old passport and renewal application with $75 in an envelope and sent it off.  Received my new one Saturday.  9 days total.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, I was aware aware of that. I prefer to do it in person, though.  Old school...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my 1st one about 4 months ago.

It arrived in less than 2 weeks.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Not leaving this country any time soon.

Nice to be home and feet planted
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
12 days!  What took so long?  Under 3 days
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What in the hell is this "hair" you speak of....????

I cant find mine, that was so abundant, on my first Passport photo.......

Two grandfathers and our father were baldies at my brother's and my age; so much for the gene theory...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top