Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 6:21:32 PM EDT
[pissed][chair]

[url]http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/4/043510-6434-093.html[/url]

Parents fume over school ruling on Bush appearance

By Josh Duke
[email protected]
May 16, 2003

A Westfield eighth-grader’s singing appearance during President Bush’s visit struck a sour note with school administrators who refused to treat her missed classes as an excused absence.

Brianna Tull won’t be allowed to make up any work or get credit for the classes she didn’t attend because she was singing with the Indianapolis Children’s Choir during Bush’s appearance Tuesday at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

Chris Tull, mother of the Westfield Middle School student, was incensed by Principal Ed Mendoza’s decision.

“As parents, this is the straw that broke the camel’s back,” Tull said. “With this new (attendance) policy we can’t take our children out of school for virtually anything.”

Mendoza, who was not at school today, was unavailable for comment. However, district superintendent Mark Keen said Brianna’s case didn’t meet the standard for excused absences.

However, Tull argued that it did fit under “other educational activity” as described in school policy.

“If attending a presidential speech isn’t educational, I don’t know what is,” Tull said. “She is working on a report about the experience that we are going to present to Mr. Keen.”

School policy defines “other educational activity” as “relevant to the child’s academic growth and equivalent to the child’s school activities/experiences.” The absence requires 30-day notice and must be approved by the building principal.

Brianna sang during Bush’s appearance at the fairgrounds. The president spoke about the war on terrorism and pushed his tax-cut plan in his speech in the Pepsi Coliseum.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Screw 'em! The kid's not even in high school so credits don't count on the transcript for college so who gives a fat rats ass????

I'd write the paper on "How totally stupid my school administration is!"
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Last year I had to tell my daughters 8th grade female principal, "you know, one of these days you liberals won't be in charge of our schools anymore".

I guess they still are.[:(]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Yet one more story that makes me laugh, then feel like crying, but then feel all better.  You see, my kids are homeschooled, and answer to nobody but their parents, who are responsible for their education and enrichment.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The National Education Association (NEA) is one of the most powerfull unions and they are PISSED that Gore is not in the whitehouse
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Top Top