Updated:

Jun 15, 2009 5:35 PM CDT

<noscript><em class="wnDate">Monday, June 15, 2009 6:35 PM EST</em></noscript>

Enlarge this picture

Austin Mullen is accused of taking a seven-week-old Jack Russell
terrier puppy to Hopewell Park east of Muskogee and shooting it up to
ten times with a .22.

Enlarge this picture

Investigators say once Joplin was killed, 23-year-old Krystal Lewis she skinned the dog.

Enlarge this picture

Deputy Roberson says Lewis intended to skin the dog to make a belt out of the hide.

By Craig Day, The News On 6

MUSKOGEE,
OK –– Two people face charges in a shocking animal abuse case in
Muskogee County.  The animal abuse investigation began with a Crime
Stoppers tip to Muskogee Police.

It led to the arrest of
26-year-old Austin Mullen.  He is accused of taking a seven-week-old
Jack Russell terrier puppy named, Joplin, to Hopewell Park east of
Muskogee and shooting it up to ten times with a .22.

"I work
cruelty to animal cases, dog dumping, but never seen anything of this
nature," said Muskogee County Sheriff's Deputy George Roberson.

Mullen is now charged with animal cruelty.

As
if shooting the little dog ten times wasn't bad enough, investigators
say what happened next turns the stomach of even veteran law
enforcement officers.

Investigators say the dog belonged to
23-year-old Krystal Lewis.  Deputies say once Joplin was killed, the
dog was brought to her apartment, where she skinned it.

"What
person would do something like this to a poor defenseless dog, that
can't defend for himself?" said Muskogee County Sheriff's Deputy George
Roberson.

Deputy Roberson says of the animal abuse cases he's
investigated in the nine years he's been with the Muskogee County
Sheriff's Office, this is the most shocking.

"This is the worst case of animal cruelty that I have investigated," said Muskogee County Sheriff's Deputy George Roberson.

Roberson says Lewis intended to skin the dog to make a belt out of the hide.

"This
is very crazy, never heard of anything like this before.  This is the
first time I've ever heard of someone taking a dog out shooting it,
then skinning the dog.  Use the animal to make a belt out of," said
Muskogee County Sheriff's Deputy George Roberson.

Lewis, who turned herself in on Sunday, is also charged with animal cruelty.

The judge in the case ordered a mental competency evaluation for both Mullen and Lewis.

A felony animal abuse conviction could mean up to five years in prison and up to a $5,000 fine.

I wonder if the reaction would be the same if they lived on a farm and this was a pet raccoon or some other animal besides a dog?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
[ARFcom future serial killer] Who cares, just an animal. [/ARFcom future serial killer]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Jack russel terrier pelt belt???

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wonder if the reaction would be the same if they lived on a farm and this was a pet raccoon or some other animal besides a dog?

While I am unequivocally against puppy skinning, the same thought occured to me.

I hope they get a good long while to ponder that thought!!!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
An animal is an animal is an animal, where do you draw the line?

If you kill one (a deer) for its hide, or to eat, why is a puppy off limits?  What about bob veal, from baby calves?
Have you guys seen what slaughter houses are like?

What if you're killing armadillos for digging up your crops, or killing poisonous snakes?

Is it because the dog is fuzzier, cuter and we associate more with it then any other animal?

Is one animal type more prone to rights than others?

Just trying to invoke a thoughtful discussion.  I'm a dog-lover, hunter and a PETA (People Eat Tasty Animals) member. . and yeah, I think those people are filth for killing a puppy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The Quapaw Tribe cut chunks of flesh from a live dog and eat it, in one of their ceremonies.
I am not suggesting that this is still the norm, but it does still happen, serupticiously.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is it because the dog is fuzzier, cuter and we associate more with it then any other animal?

Yes.

And actions like this just sicken me.

There's enough other wild things in Muskogee to skin.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Shooting a dog ten times is either gross incompetence and/or animal cruelty, depending on intent.  But, what is illegal about skinning a already dead animal that you owned?  Granted, the whole situation make a person wonder what was going through their heads, but in reality what they did was no more cruel than dropping off an unwanted pet out in the country to become someone's problem.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Was his name "spot"?

I love dogs. and that's totally fucked up, both need to be kneecapped and skinned. alive.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]
In before the "I can't believe they are even considering felony charges. It was an animal for pete's sake."
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I dunno... my mom has a JRT that is adorable and smart and a great pet.  I can't imagine someone doing something like that.

But how is what they did different than a farmer slaughtering livestock (aside from the incompetence)?

I'm genuinely curious –– where does the law draw the line?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Sick fuckers

HH
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I dunno... my mom has a JRT that is adorable and smart and a great pet.  I can't imagine someone doing something like that.

But how is what they did different than a farmer slaughtering livestock (aside from the incompetence)?

Animal cruelty laws

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If you kill one (a deer) for its hide, or to eat, why is a puppy off limits?  What about bob veal, from baby calves?

What if you're killing armadillos for digging up your crops, or killing poisonous snakes?

Just trying to invoke a thoughtful discussion.  I'm a dog-lover, hunter and a PETA (People Eat Tasty Animals) member. . and yeah, I think those people are filth for killing a puppy.

Domestic dogs were created, in a sense, by human interaction, breeding and domestication and have lived as both servents, companions and pets of human beings for the last 25,000 years. They are, to almost anyone with a shred of common sense, different than livestock, or a wild animal, or food.

Culturally, some have taken to treating them (again) as wild beasts, or even food, but I'll be honest here - those are sucky cultures.

Dogs are cute, and cuddly, and admirable, and fascinating, and compelling because of our inherent relationship with them. When you skin one, you're a fucking loon.

A. Sick. Fucking. Loon.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

And actions like this just sicken me.

There's enough other wild things in Muskogee to skin.

So, you're saying that the puppy has more rights because it's a puppy?, or because it's fuzzier?, cuter?, or is it because we associate more with it than any other animal?

Or option E, all of the above?

Again, just trying to figure out -why- these things are objectionable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

While I am unequivocally against puppy skinning, the same thought occured to me.
Myself as well.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#17]
This is some VERY sick shit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#18]

[/qoute]

Killing for the sake of killing is evil. Skinning the animal for personal entertainment is double evil.

Those sick fks would have eventually killed someones kid

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Killing for the sake of killing is evil. Skinning the animal for personal entertainment is double evil.

Those sick fks would have eventually killed someones kid

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Domestic dogs were created, in a sense, by human interaction, breeding and domestication and have lived as both servents, companions and pets of human beings for the last 25,000 years. They are, to almost anyone with a shred of common sense, different than livestock, or a wild animal, or food.

Culturally, some have taken to treating them (again) as wild beasts, or even food, but I'll be honest here - those are sucky cultures.

Dogs are cute, and cuddly, and admirable, and fascinating, and compelling because of our inherent relationship with them. When you skin one, you're a fucking loon.

A. Sick. Fucking. Loon.

Essentially you, if I am reading you right, are saying that the whole reason that killing and skinning a puppy is wrong is because of our love for the dog.

Do you think that a cow is equal to that of a dog?  A Hindu might argue that we are nothing but garbage for killing, abusing and eating cows.

I guess we can draw the conclusion that what we love is what we fight for.  Makes you wonder about a lot of things.

No argument with you on any of what you've posted.  Just food for thought, without a purpose in mind.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Deputies say once Joplin was killed, the dog was brought to her apartment, where she skinned it.

If it was already dead, who gives a fuck if they skinned it?

In other news, about 10,000 cows were killed and skinned today. Oh wait, that's right.  It wasn't in the news.  Nobody gives a shit about the non-cuddly critters.

The only thing it sounds like they're guilty of is lousy marksmanship.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#22]
IBT________________________________
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Animals are after all property.

This animal cruelty thing is getting  bizarre
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The charge is based on the fact that they shot it.  Granted, 10 shots sounds excessive, but they could have taken exactly one shot to kill it, and some people would STILL call it animal cruelty.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Animal cruelty laws

Do they specifically apply to pets and not livestock? How is this more cruel than killing a cow for leather?

Aside from the cuddliness and the cultural relationship we have with dogs. (I'm a huge dog lover, by the way.)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The charge is based on the fact that they shot it.  Granted, 10 shots sounds excessive, but they could have taken exactly one shot to kill it, and some people would STILL call it animal cruelty.

So when I put down my own dogs I am being cruel ?

edit : I shoot my dogs when  it is time I do not have a vet do the deed
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Need more info. If it was 'their' dog, then it got treated no different than any game animal. Although I think they are sick/
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A. Sick. Fucking. Loon.

Essentially, if I am reading you right, are saying that the whole reason that killing and skinny a puppy alive is because of our love of the dog.

Do you think that a cow is equal to that of a dog?  A Hindu might argue that we are nothing but garbage for killing, abusing and eating cows.

I guess we can draw the conclusion that what we love is what we fight for.  Makes you wonder about a lot of things.

No argument with you on any of what you've posted.  Just food for thought, without a purpose in mind.

I think any creation of man is given (rightly or wrongly) a preference over natural or found resources at his disposal. Cows were domesticated (long before Hindus decided to worship them) and used as livestock.

Dogs were created for nearly every need a man had, from companionship to hunting to protection. Some cultures literally survive around the canine and that bond is old and somewhat special amongst humans, with perhaps horses being another creature we've depended on and chosen to care about.

It doesn't have to be coldly rational, animals are animals, and all that bullshit ARFcom likes to push into extremes, but a dog isn't a cow. We've made sure of that by creating about 500 breeds of dogs for our every whim.

Hey everyone who can't understand why skinning a chicken you're going to eat and skinning a puppy is different both morally and legally? You're dense as fuck. It's not about the animals being different, it's about YOU being a fucking sicko skinning a puppy.

And, this story proves that. Look at these two fuckstains. I'll guarantee they're a clusterfuck of issues and mental problems. They weren't making dinner, they're acting out some fucked up problems on a puppy. That's why rational people want these kinds of things punished....because the loons that do it are sick.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Was his name "spot"?

I love dogs. and that's totally fucked up, both need to be kneecapped and skinned. alive.

When I was young, I had a pet calf.  His name was William.  I raised William from birth, I bottled him fed him, did his shots, took care of him.  The whole nine yards.  You want to know what I did with William?  When he was old enough, I shot him in the head, strung him up, cut a hole in his neck and drained the blood from his body.  Should I be knee-capped and skinned alive?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
somebody oughta skin them

how in the hell could someone do that to a dog? I can see skinning a deer or a coyote, but not a dog
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A. Sick. Fucking. Loon.

Except in those areas of the world where they're eaten as food....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A. Sick. Fucking. Loon.

Did I not specifically address your point? Yup, I sure did.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you have any clue how many breeds of bovine there are ?

You are the other extreme  of the discussion. I love dogs so this is wrong.
http://www.bovinebazaar.com/breedassoc.htm
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

A. Sick. Fucking. Loon.

Yeah you addressed it alright.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#35]
If the dog belonged to them and they dispatched it in a humane fashion then they should be allowed to skin it. Hell, they can eat it if they want as far as I am concerned.

If they stole someones pet, tortured it to death and then skinned it, they should be in jail.

IMO, it is sick and weird for someone to want to skin a dog, but think of all the millions of unwanted dogs who are euthanized every year in shelters or that are dumped in rural areas to form feral packs that pose a danger to livestock and peoples pets.

Sad, but those are the facts..

FWIW, I am not a hunter and I love animals, especially dogs and the little furry bastard in my avatar. Just donated money to a complete stranger for surgery on their injured pet.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

How many breeds of bovine were created for a companion, a hunting partner, to help find things, or to assist a handicapped person?

Jesus Christ, do I really need to spell this shit out for everyone?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#37]
They look like a couple of real winners.

Quoted:
Need more info. If it was 'their' dog, then it got treated no different than any game animal. Although I think they are sick/

I don't think they got the hunting license and/or JRT permit. So arrest them for poaching if nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
somebody oughta skin them

how in the hell could someone do that to a dog? I can see skinning a deer or a coyote, but not a dog

That's because you're emoting rather than thinking critically.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How many breeds of bovine were created for a companion, a hunting partner, to help find things, or to assist a handicapped person.

And in many places dogs are not and never were bread for companionship or service.  They were bred solely for consumption.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How many breeds of bovine were created for a companion, a hunting partner, to help find things, or to assist a handicapped person.

And in many places dogs are not and never were bread for companionship or service.  They were bred solely for consumption.

We are not in those places. I don't think Muskogee is in those places either. It does sound slightly Chinese though...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A. Sick. Fucking. Loon.

Yeah you addressed it alright.

Well, gee, thanks.

I'm explaining why most people (those divorced from the extremism of ARFcom) object to people killing and skinning puppies. You don't have to agree. Hell, go kill a dog and eat it, just not mine thanks.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are not in those places. I don't think Muskogee is in those places either. It does sound slightly Chinese though...

And in California, the cultural norm is to adopt animals and make them wear cutesy sweaters.

The cultural norm is not always more rational than the person who goes against it.

Would I kill and skin a dog?  No, not normally.  But I sure wouldn't hesitate to eat a dog if I was starving.  Friend or no friend.  And I wouldn't give a fuck what society thought of me for doing so.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was his name "spot"?

When I was young, I had a pet calf.  His name was William.  I raised William from birth, I bottled him fed him, did his shots, took care of him.  The whole nine yards.  You want to know what I did with William?  When he was old enough, I shot him in the head, strung him up, cut a hole in his neck and drained the blood from his body.  Should I be knee-capped and skinned alive?

When I first read this I thought you said cat. When I got to the end I was like "wow way to be an asshole"
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I hope they ate it.  Dog makes a fine meal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You pulled that right out of your ass.
In almost every culture where dogs are consumed those cultures did not traditionally eat or consume canines.
They BECAME consumers of dogs, they did not breed or selectively produce a dog as livestock....most in fact suffered droughts, wars and famine that pushed their dietary needs to include non-standard food sources.
That's why the dogs they eat aren't fat, sluggish and cow-like (which is how you'd breed down a dog if you intended it to be food). They are eating slender mutts, with all kinds of left-over features from companions and hunting dogs they came from.

Dogs weren't domesticated to be food, sorry sport there's no historical evidence of that whatsoever. Every culture that bred down dogs had either livestock and the dogs value as hunting companions was always vastly more than simple food.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was his name "spot"?

When I first read this I thought you said cat. When I got to the end I was like "wow way to be an asshole"

He was delicious too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, I wish you would.. it's actually leading to an interesting discussion.  Frankly, most of the "thoughtful" posts here degenerate into name calling after the first page.

Apparently a lot of people on this thread disagree with you (us actually)- I'm of the mind that you are, dogs have evolved into a companion species and should be treated differently.

I can see the coldly rational side to it that ALL animals that have been domesticated and bred by man are companion animals, it's just a matter of HOW they are utilized.  
I also see the emotional side to it that dogs should be held to a different standard because they are around us so much.  I also perceive that animals other than dogs are used as pets.

I think that discussing this is touching on another sore area that a lot of people get into fights over - the animal rights arena.  Strangely, the emotional vs the logical run in the same territory as that of firearm ownership issues.  Both are convoluted topics that have evolved into a multi-headed beast.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Scum.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Such a nice, well adjusted couple.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#50]
In on one!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top