Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 10:30:17 AM EDT
Its been soaked in cosmoline, got all i can out. What would be the best way to make it black, that won't wear off for a long time and is easy to touch up?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sand, tack cloth it, primer, paint 4-5 coats, varnish/sealer/poly...

Krylon work great.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
if you're gonna paint it and it was covered in cosmo, how did you clean it off? My dad has an SKS handguard he painted black to match a poly stock and once it started getting hot from a few hundred rounds of rapid fire, the paint began bubbling a little where more cosmo leaked out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
if you're gonna paint it and it was covered in cosmo, how did you clean it off? My dad has an SKS handguard he painted black to match a poly stock and once it started getting hot from a few hundred rounds of rapid fire, the paint began bubbling a little where more cosmo leaked out.

Soaking it in white gas for a day or so works pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Washed it with hot water and dish soap allot and, had some old VP 114 octane gas soaked it in it, let it dry out, and took a heat gun to it. You can tell when its all gone, it quits smoking.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/1howto.html  Scroll down the page until you get to Stains.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Order some black Solar Lux stain from Garret Wade.  It is actually a dye.  Soak the wood in teh stain, letting it absorb as much as it will.  Alternateively, flood the surface and let it soak in, repeating until it won't take more or you get bored.  This will put the color IN the wood not ON the wood.

Finish with bolied linseed oil, tung oil, Watco oil,... whatever you prefer.  If it gets dinged, restain locally and refinish locally.  This is the beauty of oil finishes as opposed to film finishes - repairs are super easy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out arizonaresponsesystems.com, click on "notes" and scroll down to "Surplus Wood Stock Restoration" for some more ideas on degreasing.
For painting, I always use Brownell's AlumaHyde II.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is how Snoopy paints Woodstock

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#10]
After degreasing, use spray shellac as a base coat. Spray it on thick, let it dry, then sand it back. Shellac is impervious to cosmoline, so ant that is left deep in the wood cannot creep out when it gets hot. I've done this on several surplus stocks, usually refinishing with polyurethane, but I have painted one. Shellac apparently blocks the pores that the cosmoline hides in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top