Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 10:51:11 AM EDT
I'm re-painting a room. The trim (baseboards, door frame, window sills, etc) is all oak... or some kind of wood.

Rather than replacing it all, is there any reason I should NOT just paint over it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If they were stained and varnished, paint over them first with a good stainkill or your paint will chip off every time they are bumped.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If they were stained and varnished, paint over them first with a good stainkill or your paint will chip off every time they are bumped.

I thought about that but he said "re-painting."  

Re-painting the room. Not the trim.
The trim is still "wood looking".
I kind of assumed it was that pre-stained trim you can buy, but I don't know. It was in the house when we bought it. I assume because the majority of the floors are hardwood and it matches. But I plan on laying a piece of carpet in the room so the wood trim really doesn't go with the planned "look" of the room.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
If the wood is truly oak, you may have trouble painting it.  Oak has very large open pores.  When painted, these pores result in a surface texture that many find objectionable.  

The pores have to be filled before finishing with a surface finish (varnish, paint, etc.) but this takes a lot of extra time.  

If the wood is unfilled oak, you will likely be better off removing it and replacing it with new, pre-primed trim.

Put another way, if the wood has a smooth surface then paint away.  If it has a super rough surface, replace it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top