Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 2:48:02 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I wonder if denying those air strikes won any hearts and minds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if the General's staff had the Lt's bang out memos while their dudes were getting blasted.

"He fucked up the signature block!!!! Denied."
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What're the chances each cas request went to PR for analysis and a % chance of swaying public opinion , etc.

Then they just shrug it off, no biggie! Marines can get shot at a little while longer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a Marine. But I'd imagine the ground commanders are doing a cost/benefit analysis on their own careers. It's not going to cost him anything to deny approval, but could potentially cost him his career if he authorizes a 9-line and it goes sideways.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
More Kiowas..........and Apaches too I guess.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought kiowas got axed? Anyways , this makes it seem like it doesn't matter whether it's apache, turboprop, or space ship providing cas; if the commanders won't authorize them , then.......... dildos
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
@Sylvan

ETA: @Kubota3430
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
lol,

the semi-annual USMC calfex in Helmand that takes up every asset in RC South and does absolutely nothing useful except provide justification for EOT awards.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, but probably cost U.S. a few.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The funny thing is, the USMC has their own dedicated air force (assets) just because they don't trust the USAF to provide their air support...and then they go and (doctrinally) use their air force (Marine Air) just like the USAF treats the Army WRT CAS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a Marine. But I'd imagine the ground commanders are doing a cost/benefit analysis on their own careers. It's not going to cost him anything to deny approval, but could potentially cost him his career if he authorizes a 9-line and it goes sideways.
View Quote
This.

Back before things became as PC as they became, typically "the commander" could authorize CAS/CCA with the commander being the guy in charge of whatever the supported unit was (typically a PLT LDR or a CO CDR; in extremis, a PLT SGT or 1SG).

Then it became "the commander" (CO CDR)...then BN/TF CDR, then battlespace/AO/BDE CDR...etc...and then came the weaponeering from afar.

Once they started wiping out everyone in the CoC if something went wrong, it was over.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The funny thing is, the USMC has their own dedicated air force (assets) just because they don't trust the USAF to provide their air support...and then they go and (doctrinally) use their air force (Marine Air) just like the USAF treats the Army WRT CAS.
View Quote
marine CAS doctrine is much closer to the USAF version of CAFthan CCA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312795/IMG-2292-190880.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Pq5JZ2Fd8

View Quote

The first WIA in that video is my ex wife's cousin Casey Doc Morrison he was pissed!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The best fire support asset in my experience was field artillery.  Those people were on your FOB, had a CoC in your TOC, ate next to you, slept next to you, and cared about you. If you took care of them theyd take care of you

Shadow UAV crews were also highly effective...if they were on your FOB.  UAVs with field artillery were tough to stop.

CAS and CCA were not your tribe. They were strangers. They might care, they might not.  

Its still a people business.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The best fire support asset in my experience was field artillery.  Those people were on your FOB, had a CoC in your TOC, ate next to you, slept next to you, and cared about you. If you took care of them theyd take care of you

Shadow UAV crews were also highly effective...if they were on your FOB.  UAVs with field artillery were tough to stop.

CAS and CCA were not your tribe. They were strangers. They might care, they might not.  

View Quote
After major TICs my NCOs and I would convoy over to the aviation base and watch gun tapes with the crews and S-3 of their battalion
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

After major TICs my NCOs and I would convoy over to the aviation base and watch gun tapes with the crews and S-3 of their battalion
View Quote
this.

If you know you're gonna use air, do AGI.  build capacity, sell the mission, integrate
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

this.

If you know you're gonna use air, do AGI.  build capacity, sell the mission, integrate
View Quote
at some risk and great PITA we would bring back motorcycles and shit for them so they got some war booty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
If this is true.... real retarded
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The first WIA in that video is my ex wife's cousin Casey Doc Morrison he was pissed!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312795/IMG-2292-190880.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Pq5JZ2Fd8

He sounded pissed, like dammit I just got here !!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed except for the CCA...nothing like having a 58 or even an Apache once land in the middle of your firefight for a face-to-face.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#20]
... We're our own worst enemy. It will never go away in my lifetime. But can you imagine the awesome force of a unified USA military would be?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top