Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 2:36:32 PM EDT
The wife and I decided, we'll do a few hours a day, and in 10 days, we'll be ready to move.

Damn, I have a lot of crap. Filled 10 boxes today, and I figure it will take another 20 or so tomorrow... and then all my books will be packed.

(Heck, I packed my entire dresser in one (1!) box!)

The only thing I can come with is, I'm gonna have to give a lot of stuff away in the next two weeks. Can't even sell it... no time.

Gonna put a card table out in front of the building... microwave, George Foreman Grill, slow cooker, 4-drawer filing cabinet, stereo equipment, my old refurbed XBox 360... just gonna give it all away.

Putting some nice winter coats in a bag tomorrow, giving them to charity. I'm not moving all this shit.

Moving blows.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The bright side is you are getting out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah... I'm looking forward to gettin' gone. This is just a PITA, though.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah... I'm looking forward to gettin' gone. This is just a PITA, though.

We moved from the city to the country 6 years ago.
I left a shit load of nice stuff for the new owners because I was tired of moving it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, having just moved, it was a fantastic opportunity since it forces you to confront everything you own and decide what to THROW, THE FUCK, AWAY.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Do I use this item?

Will I ever likely use it?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honestly, having just moved, it was a fantastic opportunity since it forces you to confront everything you own and decide what to THROW, THE FUCK, AWAY.

This can be hard, but needs to be done.

Packing a little every night myself.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll pay you for shipping the 360
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you moving out of NY to a free state?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are you moving out of NY to a free state?

Yep. He's moving to Russia.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Sucks for you.

On my move they came and packed everything and shipped it down for me. For free (to me at least).

I still haven't finished unpacking though.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I've moved many times, the last two times while we've had kids.  Fortunately, both times were company moves, so everything was paid for.

If I ever move again, even if I'm footing the bill, one thing I will always have:  Packers!

To me, it's totally worth the money.  A crew of people come in with a bunch of packing paper, packing tape and boxes.  In one day, everything in the house is packed up professionally.  At the end of the day, they leave and all you have it a butt load of boxes scattered around the house.  Total no-brainer to me.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Whither?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Dibs on the free stuff, just leave it there, I'll pick it up when I'm in NY this summer
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Do I use this item?

Will I ever likely use it?

About 8 weeks ago I hauled a buncha scrap material from the basement that I haven't used in years.

In the last 5 weeks it's cost me about $200 to buy materials to cut stuff roughly previous-scrap-sized and previous scrap-shaped for projects that people pay me to do, and I've got all this new leftover stuff taking up room in my just-cleaned-out behind-my-workbench storage area.

I'm never throwing anything away again.  It's too expensive.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
You wouldn't have an SKS cleaning rod that you're not taking, would you?

I took the bayo off of my Norinco, and I can't figure out where the cleaning rod went. . .

Oh, and also, a buttstock cleaning kit?  Just bought a Yugo and it didn't have one. . .

I'm getting ready for the new AWB. . . going SKS. . .

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

IM me. It's yours.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
IM me. It's yours.

nice
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are we splitting up hs gear? What size are his boots? Does he have any gold fillings

How much for your women?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]
You never realize how much shit you have until you have to move it. It sucks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The wife and I decided, we'll do a few hours a day, and in 10 days, we'll be ready to move.

Damn, I have a lot of crap. Filled 10 boxes today, and I figure it will take another 20 or so tomorrow... and then all my books will be packed.

The only thing I can come with is, I'm gonna have to give a lot of stuff away in the next two weeks. Can't even sell it... no time.

Gonna put a card table out in front of the building... microwave, George Foreman Grill, slow cooker, 4-drawer filing cabinet, stereo equipment, my old refurbed XBox 360... just gonna give it all away.

Putting some nice winter coats in a bag tomorrow, giving them to charity. I'm not moving all this shit.

Moving blows.

What stereo gear are you setting out front?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I feel ya bud, moving inspired me to give alot of stuff away to charity, kids, people who wanted it, etc.  I downsized a good portion and still feel the urge to downsize more, don't feel like I'm being suffocated by shit anymore.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moving blows.

What stereo gear are you setting out front?

couple mcintosh tube amps, sunfire stuff, and soudesign speakers...

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I feel ya bud, moving inspired me to give alot of stuff away to charity, kids, people who wanted it, etc.  I downsized a good portion and still feel the urge to downsize more, don't feel like I'm being suffocated by shit anymore.

We moved from a 1700 sq. ft house to a travel trailer.
We now live in an 800 sq. ft. cabin , it's like a mansion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#27]
We gave ourselves 30 days to pack and I still had crap to grab after the move.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to try a minimalist lifestyle.  Not sure if I'm ready to give up all my excess guns, outdoors gear and knives yet though.

Reckon I could just store that stuff at my parents house though, hhmm.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to try a minimalist lifestyle.  Not sure if I'm ready to give up all my excess guns, outdoors gear and knives yet though.

I didn't give up any of that.
I gave up furniture , dishes , nic nacs.
It was real easy. My wife and daughter had already moved .

I drove the last two loads the 3 hr. each way drive.
I got to decide what went on the truck and trailer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't give up any of that.
I gave up furniture , dishes , nic nacs.
It was real easy. My wife and daughter had already moved .

I drove the last two loads the 3 hr. each way drive.
I got to decide what went on the truck and trailer.

Oh good thinking.

I could definetly give up all the silly momentos, and whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I know a certain abrasive asshole who lives somewhat nearby who'll be glad to take some of your stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#32]
When I moved, I had over 100 boxes of books packed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are we splitting up hs gear? What size are his boots? Does he have any gold fillings

How much for your women?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much for your women?

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/Media/Movies/BluesBrothers.jpg

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#35]
In for the XBox, Shipping charges?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I feel your pain man, I just had all my shit packed up and shipped to Japan last week. My family is now effectively homeless and living with my in-law's until the flight out....

It's amazing how much crap we acquire over the years and never really use.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Screw that, I donated almost all of my books last time we moved.  Paying movers to take care of my shit is some of the best money I ever spent.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Having moved 5 times in the last 18 months I know how you feel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Having moved 5 times in the last 18 months I know how you feel.
Wow, that HAD to suck.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Screw that, I donated almost all of my books last time we moved.  Paying movers to take care of my shit is some of the best money I ever spent.  
I'll chuck most anything. Not my books.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I moved books a lot of times.  Then it dawned on me that I hadn't read 90% of them  in years.  Away they went.  It took three moves before I realized I would never ever look at college text books again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll chuck most anything. Not my books.

I hear ya, I almost never read fiction more than once so most of it was just collecting dust anyways, I went petty much 100% ebook about 5 years ago for novels.  I kept my reference books, some autographed stuff I have, and a few that were heirlooms/gifts.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, another day done. Kitchen cabinets are pretty much empty. Lot of furniture broke down. (IKEA  is good for one move, maybe two, then it's trash)

Tomorrow I finish packing my office. After that, other than the TVs, it's mostly garbage.

Told my wife today, a lot of the stuff we packed, will come out of their boxes... and go in the trash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top