Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2021 12:28:26 PM EDT
Been in contact with the VA, but I'm in an organization that would like to donate to a Service Dog group that provides PTSD dogs to Vets.

Thoughts? POCs? If you have a dog would like more information as well. Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe try talking to a reputable local service dog organization and they can put you in touch with someone who specializes in PTSD service dogs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I was offered a PTSD service dog. I turned down the offer (I did not need it). But it's a fantastic program. Thank you for contributing!
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
100% Service Connected Marine Corps Combat Veteran and has been a PTSD Service Dog recipient since 2012. Anyone here with a PTSD & TBI Rating is welcome to contact me for a no shit education on Pros & Cons of Service Dog ownership. Been to 3 Residential PTSD Programs and helped many of us learn all about this. Please use Email ONLY as I'll be able to share more with you that way.
Semper Fi Brothers!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#4]
@GunnyFitz email sent, thank you
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crossDAWG:
@GunnyFitz email sent, thank you
View Quote

Got it buddy. I'll definitely get back at ya!
S/F
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you very much
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#7]
email sent!
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 12:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#8]
Gents -

I've been off the grid the last few months dealing with an aggressive melanoma that from diagnosis took over my 11yr old Service Dogs life. Without going into all the details he passed 3 weeks ago and my life is an empty void. For 10+ yrs he'd not been without earshot of me and by ADA Law went every place with me, except the operating room for my Service Connected injuries.  

The Organization I obtained him from in 2012 was Puppies Behind Bars who only accepts OIF/OEF Veterans who sustained a TBI or PTSD, both of which I have. They are wicked selective and the process is lengthy, but the payoff is unbelievable. A highly trained Lab with over 80 commands who's sole purpose in life is YOU. Feel free to read their site, watch their mini documentary on Netflix called "Prison Dogs" and if you feel as if you qualify and want my personal reference - PM me. I've referred several Vets. One was selected and a few others didn't qualify.

This is one thing I tell every Vet, dog lover or not, and something that requires extremely deep thought. Whatever your Service Connection is - would you be able to cope going out in public with a huge sign around your neck saying "Something is wrong with me!"  - because that is exactly what you're doing by holding the leash of a Service Dog. The attention you'll feel, looks you'll receive, questions you'll be asked and shit you'll deal with are astronomical gents! I seriously can't stress this enough! You'd shit if you heard the questions I've dealt with and the conversations people don't seem to think I overheard. SMFH....

Don't think for a second about trying to go thru Veterans Affairs for obtaining a Service Dog. Trust me on this fact. They'll do absolutely NOTHING for you!

Regarding your questions about Service Connected Ratings, Increases, Forms and the correct language which MUST be utilized: Again, DO NOT attempt to do any of this yourself via VA. I'm not going to detail my climb up the Rating Matrix, and don't even attempt to understand because no "calculations" are made the way you think they are! It's an extremely intricate process you should allow a professional to do on your behalf using a specific POA.

From my very first claim submission, to the last increase to 100% I only used one resource which never got denied or kicked back. Disabled American Veterans will have an individual who will tackle every step of the process without you even needing to be a member. I've heard some say that DAV didn't help them at all and used another Veterans Service Organization (VSO) which is understood and perfectly fine. However, if you pay someone, or an Org to process your disability claim for you - or sign off on them taking a certain percentage of your rating - you're a fool. Yes, I just wrote that.

Lastly,, if you'd like a personal referral to a killer DAV Rep who got me thru every rating with obvious success. PM me. It doesn't matter where you live vs where he is, nor branch of Service - though he's a fellow Marine brother of mine.

Hope this helps answer some of the questions sent to me.

Semper Fi,

Gunny

*This was just done last week. Many don't know that ink=carbon and that ashes = carbon as well. The skilled artist who did it sprinkled some of my Service Dogs ashes into the ink before starting. He'll be in me for life!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Very well said Gunny! I have to agree with you.

Now I have seen both sides of having a service dog. Yes they are very helpful when one needs one. I have also seen the negative attitudes towards those with service dogs from people that just don't understand. And I have seen ID10T's abuse having a service dog.

And if you have a PTSD service dog, please don't take it every single place yo go. Some places are just not the right environment. I had to deal with a fellow vet that insisted on bring his service dog into the bar on busy weened nights. A crowed bar full of drunks is not the correct place to have a service dog in. I knew I couldn't keep him from bringing his dog in even though I knew it was going to cause issues. Unfortunately I had to wait until a problem to arise, which it did. I can't blame the dog for its actions though, it was doing what it was trained for and what comes natural.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Very well said Gunny! I have to agree with you.
Now I have seen both sides of having a service dog. Yes they are very helpful when one needs one. I have also seen the negative attitudes towards those with service dogs from people that just don't understand. And I have seen ID10T's abuse having a service dog.
And if you have a PTSD service dog, please don't take it every single place yo go. Some places are just not the right environment. I had to deal with a fellow vet that insisted on bring his service dog into the bar on busy weened nights. A crowed bar full of drunks is not the correct place to have a service dog in. I knew I couldn't keep him from bringing his dog in even though I knew it was going to cause issues. Unfortunately I had to wait until a problem to arise, which it did. I can't blame the dog for its actions though, it was doing what it was trained for and what comes natural.
View Quote

Thanks for your input Chump (no disrespect-lol) You are correct on many levels, but I'm puzzled about this dog/bar story? Did the Service Dog become aggressive or act in a "protective" role? PTSD Service Dogs are not trained (all I've worked with) to be protective to its owner like a Patrol K9 would. In fact, mine never even barked unless I asked him to speak. We are told to bring our dogs every single place we go, so I am unsure what type of role this Veterans dog was. I should know on Day3 of the 2 week training which color and gender Labrador I'll be paired with in August!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all for the input and experiences with your dogs. It definitely sounds like the roller coaster of good and bad depending on situations, which I hadn't thought of before.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Call Piper Gibbons at Healing for Heroes  .... I went through her program, got my second service dog.

Incredible experience and incredible organization out of Peachtree City just south of Atlanta.

They are in my Will.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 3:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#13]
Originally Posted By SCRooster:
Call Piper Gibbons at Healing for Heroes  .... I went through her program, got my second service dog.

Incredible experience and incredible organization out of Peachtree City just south of Atlanta.

They are in my Will.
View Quote

That's great brother! They truly save us from ourselves.

Just got my successor PTSD Service Dog "Bobby" from Puppies Behind Bars

Only 18 months old and won't let me outta his sight!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 5:10:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MouseBoy] [#14]
Thank all you veterans, especially those with PTSD for your massive sacrifice for this great country.  

I pray you all heal and your life is returned to normal asap.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top