Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/22/2013 1:18:36 PM EDT
Just a glimpse into the messes I tend to get myself into.

This brick chimney is being used to vent a fuel oil boiler and it is well past it's prime. It probably could have been prevented years ago with a regular inspection and repair, but now the whole thing has to come down. It was just about ready to collapse right onto the roof, I was able to take it apart just by picking up the bricks, practically no mortar bond left and just gravity holding it together.

45 buckets lowered down 4 sections of roof jacks and then 5 sections of scaffold. Can't wait to hoist the new stuff back up tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you caught that in time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine would have been on that road as well, but luckily I caught it before it failed. Some mortar damage, but still sound. I did wind up casting in place a new concrete crown with proper drip edge. On a 4x4 foot square chimney (don't ask, house built in the 50's, was a design element) that was a pita.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to recommend they bring in a roofer to properly flash that chimney?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks eerily like a lightning strike.  Was the chimney cap messed up at all?

Also, those are T-lock shingles.  Don't mess one up... They don't make them anymore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to recommend they bring in a roofer to properly flash that chimney?
View Quote

He is coming in behind me to reshingle the whole house and put new flashing on the chimney.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
No liner in the flue either?  How long has it been around?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing 54 tubes of black-jack can't handle!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That looks eerily like a lightning strike.  Was the chimney cap messed up at all?

Also, those are T-lock shingles.  Don't mess one up... They don't make them anymore.
View Quote

We had a strike 2 years ago, looked like an rpg hit it. Seriously, shrapnel went thru the ridge cap and landed over a hundred feet away.
OP's looks like weathering of the mortar.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm  going  up  on  moms  roof  w/ a  mason  next  weekend . There  has  been  a  leak  from  damaged  flashing  that  requires   a  mason  to  replace .
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#11]
We used to have a member here named “sweep” (or something similar). A chimney guy.

He was also a moderator if I remember correctly.

I wonder if he is still around since he might be a good resource for this thread.

Mike

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm  going  up  on  moms  roof  w/ a  mason  next  weekend . There  has  been  a  leak  from  damaged  flashing  that  requires   a  mason  to  replace .
View Quote

Did you have a roofer up there yet?

I can flash in chimneys, but whenever possible I leave it to a roofer since they do a lot more of it so they can typically do it faster and cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We had a strike 2 years ago, looked like an rpg hit it. Seriously, shrapnel went thru the ridge cap and landed over a hundred feet away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. It is just weathered. About a quarter of it was re-laid in the last 20 years, poorly. The rest has been ground and and grouted back in a few times, but half the brick on the backside was just deteriorated and crumbling.

As far as age the house is from the 1800's, so the chimney may be original down to the basement.

The really scary part, all around here there are brick chimneys in old houses that look worse than that, and people have the balls to burn wood with them. Crazy, most of the old ones don't have liners either.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, next spring do yourself a huge favor...

Look up CrownCoat and Chimney Saver.  Apply.  Enjoy years of happiness.

And for the love of everything holy, tell me there is a liner in that chimney, or their will be.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Bricks started falling off my office (I rent , thank God) this spring, there have been two guys there remortaring for about six weeks, I shudder at the cost
View Quote

Damn....Do they look like this guy?

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yup. It is just weathered. About a quarter of it was re-laid in the last 20 years, poorly. The rest has been ground and and grouted back in a few times, but half the brick on the backside was just deteriorated and crumbling.

As far as age the house is from the 1800's, so the chimney may be original down to the basement.

The really scary part, all around here there are brick chimneys in old houses that look worse than that, and people have the balls to burn wood with them. Crazy, most of the old ones don't have liners either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing that struck me as odd is multiple bricks are cracked straight through.  I've seen lightning hits that look like a fat man sat on it, all the way to apparent RPGs.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And for the love of everything holy, tell me there is a liner in that chimney, or their will be.
View Quote

Blech, bandaids.

The liner isn't my gig. A separate company will need to come in and put in a stainless liner, if they want one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am amazed at the risks I see people take.  They don't give a shit.  Just like cars, most people wait until it is a huge problem they can't possibly avoid before doing anything.  Then, when they have no choice, they seek the cheapest, duct-tape and bondo solution possible.

I'm glad I'm no longer a sweep.  I loved the work, but I hated hearing how I was wrong and cousin Jeb was right.  Cousin Jeb was only right because his idea was easy and free.

It's funny, too.  If I had a dime for every supposed "prepper" with the shittiest cobbled-ass ragfuck wood heating setup ever, I'd be rich.  I thought preppers were about long-term sustainability.

People don't fix a roof till the drywall is on their head.
People don't change tires until they hydroplane into a ravine.
Brakes?  They still stop.  Turn up the radio.  Same for bearings and CV joints.
Decks?  Why waterproof them.  
Furnace?  I got a free CO detector from the fire department.
Healthcare? .gov bro!

Sorry. /rant

This is the time of year everyone decides to risk everything by ignoring and avoiding a simple solution.  They tend to post here about how dramatic their lives are.  Go figure.

Thanks for the PSA, OP.  The world needs all it can get.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://gigabiting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/milkman1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bricks started falling off my office (I rent , thank God) this spring, there have been two guys there remortaring for about six weeks, I shudder at the cost

http://gigabiting.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/milkman1.jpg

A running joke we had forever was wearing Byrne Dairy hats on tedious jobs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Blech, bandaids.

The liner isn't my gig. A separate company will need to come in and put in a stainless liner, if they want one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blech, bandaids.

bandaids?  LOLWUT?  Water is the reason you are seeing that damage!  Proper waterproofing after rebuild will extend the life of the chimney significantly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am amazed at the risks I see people take.  They don't give a shit.  Just like cars, most people wait until it is a huge problem they can't possibly avoid before doing anything.  Then, when they have no choice, they seek the cheapest, duct-tape and bondo solution possible.

I'm glad I'm no longer a sweep.  I loved the work, but I hated hearing how I was wrong and cousin Jeb was right.  Cousin Jeb was only right because his idea was easy and free.

It's funny, too.  If I had a dime for every supposed "prepper" with the shittiest cobbled-ass ragfuck wood heating setup ever, I'd be rich.  I thought preppers were about long-term sustainability.

Healthcare? .gov bro!

Sorry. /rant

This is the time of year everyone decides to risk everything by ignoring and avoiding a simple solution.  They tend to post here about how dramatic their lives are.  Go figure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Healthcare? .gov bro!

Sorry. /rant

This time of year sucks. It could snow any day and I get calls from people saying "I need to fire up the furnace/woodstove this week and we need 10 ft of chimney replaced....can you get here by the end of the week?"

Sure, I will put you in front of the 5 others that called this month, they will appreciate that.

I never get chimney calls in the summer, at least not for repairs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Is that lead flashing I see

That would make some nice bullets
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

bandaids?  LOLWUT?  Water is the reason you are seeing that damage!  Proper waterproofing after rebuild will extend the life of the chimney significantly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blech, bandaids.

Doesn't crowncoat go over a crown to seal cracks and spalling? I would rather just pour a new crown.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is that lead flashing I see

That would make some nice bullets
View Quote

Tin......I checked
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Doesn't crowncoat go over a crown to seal cracks and spalling? I would rather just pour a new crown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blech, bandaids.

It will seal the cracks, but it is great over a new crown because it prevents water penetration and erosion.  It is flexible enough that a crack forming underneath won't take moisture.

I pour a concrete crown with forms that include a drip edge, too.  It significantly reduces the amount of water running over the brick surface.

Trust me, a concrete crown with drip edge coated in crown coat and a freshly built chimney sealed with chimney saver will out last any other contraption by decades.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#26]
This one isn't getting a crown by me.

The liner company will have to bend a metal one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Ah.  I take it these people want it fixed cheap as possible, bare minimum?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ah.  I take it these people want it fixed cheap as possible, bare minimum?
View Quote

They just wanted a direct replacement. I am going to corbel the top out though to give it a better look.

Regardless, that sucker was just about ready to tip over. The roofer actually told them to call a mason, they saw the roof was shot and when he was up there checking it out said the chimney was about ready to take a crap.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's gotta be painful!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I had my chimney relined 3 years ago and repointed it last year. Better safe than sorry.

Whereabouts in NY OP?

Also, what is the approximate cost for this type of job, just out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had my chimney relined 3 years ago and repointed it last year. Better safe than sorry.

Whereabouts in NY OP?
View Quote

Cortland County
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The only thing that struck me as odd is multiple bricks are cracked straight through.  I've seen lightning hits that look like a fat man sat on it, all the way to apparent RPGs.  
View Quote

Cracked bricks can actually be caused by using mortar that is too strong. Bricks usually require a Type N mortar which has a lower compressive strength than Type S. The idea is that if there is a failure of any kind the mortar joints will be cracked instead of the brick and you can grind out any problems and repoint them.

Notice there is almost no mortar at the bottom from weathering, that likely made it begin to drop, and the rebuilt stuff near the top was held togther with a tougher Type S and it just snapped causing some of the bricks to crack.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Also, get it cleaned if you burn solid fuels....

http://mavenrestoration.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/chimney-fire-prevention.jpg

View Quote

Meh.  That costs money.  The fire department is free.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Huh, can this be a problem if the chimney is never used? I think around here they are just for decoration. . .
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can flash in chimneys, but whenever possible I leave it to a roofer since they do a lot more of it so they can typically do it faster and cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I  myself  can  pass  as  a  proficient   carpenter  to  cut  the  shingle  back  in . The  joints  in  the  veneer  that  hold  the  flashing  have broken  apart  and  are  falling
out . They now  leak , it  needs  more than  another  coat  of  silicon  calk  to  be  done  correctly . . . yes ?
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Huh, can this be a problem if the chimney is never used? I think around here they are just for decoration. . .
View Quote

Most of that damage was from weather, the inside looked just fine even though there is a boiler venting into it.

This is a pretty extreme case though, years without any repair, and the repair before it was just slapped together.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I  myself  can  pass  as  a  proficient   carpenter  to  cut  the  shingle  back  in . The  joints  in  the  veneer  that  hold  the  flashing  have broken  apart  and  are  falling
out . They now  leak , it  needs  more than  another  coat  of  silicon  calk  to  be  done  correctly . . . yes ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can grind out the morart joints a bit and caulk the step flashing back in, then counter flash over it with wall flashing, which is put up parallel to the roof.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Cracked bricks can actually be caused by using mortar that is too strong. Bricks usually require a Type N mortar which has a lower compressive strength than Type S. The idea is that if there is a failure of any kind the mortar joints will be cracked instead of the brick and you can grind out any problems and repoint them.

Notice there is almost no mortar at the bottom from weathering, that likely made it begin to drop, and the rebuilt stuff near the top was held togther with a tougher Type S and it just snapped causing some of the bricks to crack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm calling you next time I have to deal with someone's busted ass chimney.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://mavenrestoration.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/chimney-fire-prevention.jpg

So  are  the  clothes  from  the  Red  Cross .  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small chimney fires (very small) are actually a healthy part of the lifecycle of your liner. Each day you should run your wood stove at full throttle for 15-30 minutes, it can cause small build ups to flame up for a few minutes and quickly burn off, then when you go to sweep the stuff that is left just flakes right off.

What is really scary is when people damper their stoves right down for weeks a time and a thick glaze of creosote builds up. That stuff is miserable to sweep out and can cause pure havoc if it lights up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worse. One I toured before buying a different house here was about that age, and it had a central chimney fed by six fireplaces. The old kitchen hearth had a massive old cast iron stove in it with the pipe ending about two feet inside the flue. None of the other fireplaces had dampers. The whole thing was unlined. There were visible creosote leaks in the attic.

This one? Two chimneys from basement to roof, four flues, all lined. One that was not in use was capped in the finished part of the basement. I opened the lower cover on a windy day and it was like opening a vacuum cleaner, a sudden "WOOSH" of air. "GOOD  DRAW!"
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Worse. One I toured before buying a different house here was about that age, and it had a central chimney fed by six fireplaces. The old kitchen hearth had a massive old cast iron stove in it with the pipe ending about two feet inside the flue. None of the other fireplaces had dampers. The whole thing was unlined. There were visible creosote leaks in the attic.

This one? Two chimneys from basement to roof, four flues, all lined. One that was not in use was capped in the finished part of the basement. I opened the lower cover on a windy day and it was like opening a vacuum cleaner, a sudden "WOOSH" of air. "GOOD  DRAW!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can beat that.

I demo'd a house last year and each bedroom upstairs had a hardwood box built with shelves in it and sitting on top of those shelves there were unlined block chimneys. Each room at one point had it's own wood stove venting into an unsupported and unlined chimney.

I have never seen so much creosote leakage as I saw on those rafters, when we first torn out the ceilings we thought the place had been on fire in the past, everything was jet black.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Small chimney fires (very small) are actually a healthy part of the lifecycle of your liner. Each day you should run your wood stove at full throttle for 15-30 minutes, it can cause small build ups to flame up for a few minutes and quickly burn off, then when you go to sweep the stuff that is left just flakes right off.

What is really scary is when people damper their stoves right down for weeks a time and a thick glaze of creosote builds up. That stuff is miserable to sweep out and can cause pure havoc if it lights up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea . .you're  talkin'  about  me . More  the  problem  is  the  woodstove  is  mounted  in  front  of  the  fireplace  w/  the  backvent  plumbed  up  the  flue  through
a  steel  plate . The  chimney  is  well built  w/ an  intact  ceramic  liner , but  the  chimney  has  so  much  mass  it's  difficult  to  get  the  chimney  itself  up  to  temp
w/out  sweating  us  out  of  the  house .
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can beat that.

I demo'd a house last year and each bedroom upstairs had a hardwood box built with shelves in it and sitting on top of those shelves there were unlined block chimneys. Each room at one point had it's own wood stove venting into an unsupported and unlined chimney.

I have never seen so much creosote leakage as I saw on those rafters, when we first torn out the ceilings we thought the place had been on fire in the past, everything was jet black.
View Quote

That sounds like one of those Victorian era "kill everyone" houses. Did you find any poorly laid out coalgas lines, too?

I'll also add that this house's second floor wiring consisted of Romex jammed behind radiators and hacked into walls to plugs with no box, all of it supplied by a loose, dangling piece of Romex beside the front door. I don't know what they were thinking.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I just had a sweep in yesterday before I fired anything up. House was built in 1944 and has a Kodiak insert in the basement fireplace and another chimney with 2 flies, one for a fireplace and one for an oil boiler.

Ho

Lee

Shit!

The insert in the basement was an old direct connect but they shoved it into a Heatilator type fireplace. He gave me a number for an 8" as liner, and I asked about repairing the flashing as well. He says "What flashing? There's just some j channel from the siding shoved in there." Turns out the flashing repairs were already in the quote and he did some quick and dirty caulking as a bandaid until he could come back.

The other chimney was the real winner. turns out there only *appears* to be 2 flues. Once the boiler flee makes it up from the basement it joins the fireplace flu where the smoke chamber should be and forms one gigantic chamber up to the crown. There is a stub of a Terra cotta liner  sticking out where the boiler flue should have been. Beside it is a 9x13 Terra cotta liner installed on the wrong axis. It goes down through the smoke chamber and terminates right above the damper. Neither the sweep nor I can figure out wtf they were thinking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yea . .you're  talkin'  about  me . More  the  problem  is  the  woodstove  is  mounted  in  front  of  the  fireplace  w/  the  backvent  plumbed  up  the  flue  through
a  steel  plate . The  chimney  is  well built  w/ an  intact  ceramic  liner , but  the  chimney  has  so  much  mass  it's  difficult  to  get  the  chimney  itself  up  to  temp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This problem will be 100% resolved by installing a properly sized and insulated stainless liner.  Burn dry wood and voila!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#48]
My chimney partially collapsed in the storm that caused all the flooding here in Colorado.

It is a 123 year old house/chimney, and it had never been maintained. I had it restored, and now both sections are lined, one with steel for the fireplace and one with aluminum for the water heater and boiler. Should be good to go for a while now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#49]
If we are going to talk crazy people in this thread, I saw a genius run single wall galvanized pipe through an open window into a huge piece of galvanized culvert pipe acting as the "flue".  Nice trim work around the window pass through, though.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine is still loose from our last big earthquake. I fully expect it to fall over when we get our next big one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top