Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2022 4:03:05 PM EDT
Hit the ER about 9:00 Friday night with a corneal abrasion. I was working fitting a hammer into a new receiver design and the hammer launched itself under full spring tension directly into the center of my right eye. A couple painful nights, ophthalmologist pulled the bandage contact out today and I'm healing up and GTG other than needing some ointment at night for a few weeks to keep the new cells from being ripped off in the morning by my eyelid.  

I had a nasty series of like 6 foreign object removal treatments from dremeling a loading gate in an 1860 army a few years ago - I was wearing glasses then but the fragment made its way up from the underside. Having someone dremel on your eyeball sucks. So I'm religious about full seal eyepro for shooting, anything powered, lathes, dremels, belt sanders, etc. etc.

But this is a reminder that spring loaded stuff can be dangerous too, so don't get complacent, and wear your damned eyepro when you're tinkering on stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you're on the mend, OP. If I'm doing anything other than typing at my computer I'm wearing eyepro. I can take the laughing and jokes but I can't take losing an eye.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Be glad it was not a M1919A4 mainspring or you may not be here right now.

Good to hear all will be good though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
eye pro is something to consider for a lot of things.

Many, many years ago I was out on a backpacking trip in Montana..I forget exactly how it happened but I managed to get a corneal scratch by some brush or a branch.

Fortunately I realized something terrible happened and hiked out immediately and by the time I got to the ER I was half blind.

I was treated for it and went home than pretty much spent the next 3-4 days in my darkened apartment the pain was so bad.

Had I not left the woods when I did I'd have been in a fair bit of trouble/distress I am sure.  A pair of glasses is always with me now when I go hiking...
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the safety reminder. Scatter safety glasses where you work, shop, truck, tractor, shooting bag etc so it is convenient to protect your eyes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Was welding once and like an idiot I lifted the helmet to knock a piece of slag off and it went right into my eye.  Was at the eye doc the next morning.  He got that little drill bit out and I asked what that was for.  I almost passed out right then but I waited till he drilled into my eye the 3rd time before I became soaking wet with sweat, gaged a little then passed out against the thing you put your head in.  Good times!  Eye pro, use it!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I was changing magazine base plates and there was one that was being a real bitch to get on. The baseplate retainer slipped out of position and the spring launched it into my face, just below my eye. I'm sure it would've done damage.

Springs are no joke.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Or an FAL recoil spring....holy shit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Had the AR15 ejector slip out and shoot me in the eye. Fortunately saved by my safety glasses.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#10]
unless it's goggles, eyepro is shit for my face. My head and it's shape is so big, regular glasses leave too many gaps.

So I normally just don a shield or goggles
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Many, many years ago I was out on a backpacking trip in Montana..I forget exactly how it happened but I managed to get a corneal scratch by some brush or a branch.

Fortunately I realized something terrible happened and hiked out immediately and by the time I got to the ER I was half blind.

I was treated for it and went home than pretty much spent the next 3-4 days in my darkened apartment the pain was so bad.

Had I not left the woods when I did I'd have been in a fair bit of trouble/distress I am sure.  A pair of glasses is always with me now when I go hiking...
View Quote

My good friend to a branch in the eye while out in the woods, fucked him all up. Safety glasses in the woods isnt bad advice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glad you're on the mend, OP. If I'm doing anything other than typing at my computer I'm wearing eyepro. I can take the laughing and jokes but I can't take losing an eye.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a dream last night in which my brother and I were smashing some of my wife's FiestaWare bowls and plates that were chipped or cracked.  We both wore eye protection.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#14]
My dad is a retired ophthalmologist. Over the years, he pulled every conceivable thing from eyes....glass, insect legs from air boating, metal shavings, fiberglass, wood...you name it.

If I'm doing anything, especially outdoor activities, eye pro is on.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a hot spark go into my eye. I thought I flushed it out but I didn’t. It rusted in my eye overnight and I woke up with a insane swollen closed eye with rusty goo coming out.

They had to drill it out and scrape the infected goo shit under my eye lid out. It was so much fun.

Wear safety glasses.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Eye injury is not fun. Im pretty good about wearing some form of eye protection, but that one time I didn’t I took a piece of a nail to my eye last December - after Christmas when all the eye doctors were closed until after New Years. I’m so lucky I didn’t lose any vision.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Safety glasses were mandatory on the production floor at the last place I worked, and they saved me from an injury. I was setting up some equipment, and had shut off the air to the machine I was working on, but there was still pressure in the 1/4" (edit-1/4" PE tubing) that I needed to disconnect. I did this all the time, but one day the line slipped out of my hand when I pulled it free. The tip of it hit my glasses directly in front of my eye, so it definitely would have done some amount of damage.

I had the opposite effect while shooting one time. I mostly shoot from sitting in my Rzr, and some brass bounced off the roof and landed behind my glasses. I pulled them off as quickly as I could, after putting the pistol down on the passenger seat. (I was afraid of muzzle sweeping my head or my friends). It didn't touch my eye, but it gave me a burn just below it.
View Quote

I’ve had that happen shooting .22s - shell bounced off the lane partition gets caught behind your glasses and burn your skin right  under your eye. I was impressed with myself to see how I still safely handled the gun and cleared it and set it down before I fixed the skin searing issue on my face as I was on a live range with plenty of people around.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]
One of the unintended consequences of having to wear prescription glasses is always having an eyepro on you, at all times...
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I watched a SAW eject its spring into the eye of a young PFC 30 years ago.  He was able to squint and turned slightly so he didn't lose the eye but it was a near thing (he had it cocked and lowered the stock, a common rookie mistake).

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad you’re okay OP. Eyes are not to be taken for granted!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife is an Optometrist. If you’ve ever seen a “foreign body removal kit” you would wear safety glasses.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Brownings are no joke, either the little 1919 or Maw Duce M2.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear it anytime I go into the woods.  Branches can get you even in broad daylight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had a dream last night in which my brother and I were smashing some of my wife's FiestaWare bowls and plates that were chipped or cracked.  We both wore eye protection.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Good PSA, glad your ok. I've had my sunglasses save me from getting poked in the eye by little tree limbs in thick woods a handful of times too.

Las time I hurt my eye though was a freak accident, never happened before or since. You know how you pop the top off a beer with your lighter?

I did that with one of those Guinness draught bottles, and the cap smacked me clean square in the center of my eyeball. Man those things have some pressure in there.

Just made my eye hurt for about a week, the white part was a little bruised for a while. I got lucky.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have worked a number incidents involving eye injuries.  Know that not all eye pro is the same.  

ANZI Z87 is basically just to keep low energy debris out.  Z87+ is "impact rated," but the energy rating is low...as in not adequate to stop a large piece of grinding wheel .  Z87+ is the minimum, in my opinion, that one should use when shooting or working with springs.  

PRF-31013 is the gold standard.  Smith Optics used to make some really nice glasses that met this standard but have since stopped.  It is hard to find PRF-31013 glass with this earpieces that fit beneath ear pro, but well worth looking.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hit the ER about 9:00 Friday night with a corneal abrasion. I was working fitting a hammer into a new receiver design and the hammer launched itself under full spring tension directly into the center of my right eye. A couple painful nights, ophthalmologist pulled the bandage contact out today and I'm healing up and GTG other than needing some ointment at night for a few weeks to keep the new cells from being ripped off in the morning by my eyelid.  

I had a nasty series of like 6 foreign object removal treatments from dremeling a loading gate in an 1860 army a few years ago - I was wearing glasses then but the fragment made its way up from the underside. Having someone dremel on your eyeball sucks. So I'm religious about full seal eyepro for shooting, anything powered, lathes, dremels, belt sanders, etc. etc.

But this is a reminder that spring loaded stuff can be dangerous too, so don't get complacent, and wear your damned eyepro when you're tinkering on stuff.
View Quote

Ouch. Hope you heal completely.
I got some steel drill shavings in my eye once. It hurt like hell. Safety glasses were used from that point going forward.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Perhaps gunsmithing is not the hobby for you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I wear a helmet and eye pro 24/7. Life be dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have worked a number incidents involving eye injuries.  Know that not all eye pro is the same.  

ANZI Z87 is basically just to keep low energy debris out.  Z87+ is "impact rated," but the energy rating is low...as in not adequate to stop a large piece of grinding wheel .  Z87+ is the minimum, in my opinion, that one should use when shooting or working with springs.  

PRF-31013 is the gold standard.  Smith Optics used to make some really nice glasses that met this standard but have since stopped.  It is hard to find PRF-31013 glass with this earpieces that fit beneath ear pro, but well worth looking.

View Quote

Aside from some polarized fishing glasses, I've made it a point to make sure all of my sunglasses are Z87+ rated, just in case of an impromptu range trip or motorcycle ride.

It may not be the best protection, but it's still better than nothing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I almost merc'd myself with a 1919 spring.

Muzzle down, leaning over with a large screw driver in the capture. Applied body weight, screw driver slipped off, and spring went between my shoulder and ear just grazing it. It continued through the sheetrock in the ceiling, into the attic, and punched a nice divot into the sheeting in the roof of the house.

Respect.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was younger I had awesome night vision.

So good that when we where in the field in the dark I was going to be the point man.  Night after night, exercise after exercise.  There was no turns, no sharing, just me.

I wore shooting glasses.  The cheap plastic things.  Saved my eyes many times when I'd walk into a leafless limb/branch while walking and looking/concentrating as far out from me as I could.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I call that "getting face-raped by a salad".  Happens a lot on the moto.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Z87 and a faceshield good 'nuff?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’ve had jobs where I had to wear safety glasses for 8-10 hours a day, after a while it almost feels more natural to have them on than off. I have quite a few sets stashed throughout the house, car, and garage. I caught myself putting safety glasses on the other night just to light the BBQ.

OP, I hope you have a quick and complete recovery.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a good tip. I have a bunch of pairs of the old ESS NVG goggles that I bulk bought on Ebay as surplus for cheap when GWOT was winding down, they conform to 31013. I modified a few of them with little 8mm PC fans on the top so they don't fog up. I wear them when I'm chainsawing or other more dangerous outdoor work, but I'm going to start keeping a set in the car and on my workbench - way more protection than standard Z87 glasses, and full coverage, which is where I messed up with the first eye injury.

Vision is back to just 20/20, I was 20/15 in both eyes, so I'm not 100% but it's healing up good and I think I'll at least be close to where I was before.

One interesting thing I've noticed since the metal removal a couple years ago, is that even though I couldn't detect any difference in vision after it healed, my brain wants me to start shifting to left eye dominance. It's affected my pool game quite a bit, shooting not as much but I use optics on pretty much everything. I may have to up my weak-side drill game
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Z87 and a faceshield good 'nuff?
View Quote

It depends.  For grinding or cutoff wheels, i try to use a welding hood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top