Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 1:21:04 PM EDT
US Drone Thwarts Base Attack, Kills 11 Rebels: Military
Baghdad (AFP) Sep 05, 2005

"Listen. And understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead." from the movie-The Terminator
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A unmanned US spy plane Monday thwarted an Iraqi rebel mortar attack on a sprawling US base, firing two missiles which killed 11 insurgents and wounded four more, the military said.
US forces "located two groups of attackers with a coalition unmanned aerial vehicle and engaged them," according to a US Army statement.

"A US Air Force Predator expended two Hellfire missiles against a mortar firing position in the vicinity of Balad" in central Iraq, the Air Force said for its part.

The Predator is a small remote-controlled drone aircraft which has been deployed in both Iraq and Afghanistan for surveillance purposes.

The drone "was also used to track the wounded, who were observed being loaded into two vehicles at one of the mortar sites," the Army said, adding that 11 rebels had been killed.

"The vehicles took the wounded to a hospital in Khalis, in Diyala Province" where US and Iraqi forces arrested six of the suspects, the statement added.

The dawn raid by rebels targeted base Anaconda, near Balad.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
We sure are getting our money's worth out of those toys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
There's video of this, but I can't remember where.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
WOOT!

Aint technology a bitch!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing.  I love it when fags like that are whacked before they can shoot or set off bombs.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Could it be our Nevada HTF members that accomplished this?

Check it out
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
helfire on an unarmored target like infantry?

how well does that work?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I think HE works pretty well against cruchies too
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

how well does that work?

I think it shoots the missile right at them or into the ground or rocks beside them and it blows up killing or injuring people around where it hit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

how well does that work?

If it was a thermobaric version of Hellfire, I figure it would live up to it's namesake.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Hellfire works darn well, thank you very much.  Thank your local Lockheed rep.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably would have detonated their little stack of mortar rounds as well...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Hell yeah! technology at it's finest....

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Kinetic and chemical energy are mother fuckers.
FYI, most of our modern UAV technology came from Israel

Weren't the 1st drones used in Vietnam, Lightning Bug, and Cookie something......I think those would pre-date any Isreali versions.

FYI......also, Chinese based most of their cruise missiles, and drones from downed/recovered US drones during the Vietnam war.

www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_344.shtml
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I think they made a grooved sleeve that fits around the body of the Hellfire to create greater frag patterns...  I remember seeing a show on it and the results of one hitting a car in Yemen - not much left...

Do you get combat pay for flying a Predator?  How about medals if you're the guy who pulls the trigger on the Hellfire that smokes OBL?

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
UAV Ace?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Wonder if you'd be popular with the ladies..."ya,,I fly a predator," sniff sniff adjust pilot's sunglasses.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kinetic and chemical energy are mother fuckers.
FYI, most of our modern UAV technology came from Israel

Weren't the 1st drones used in Vietnam, Lightning Bug, and Cookie something......I think those would pre-date any Isreali versions.

FYI......also, Chinese based most of their cruise missiles, and drones from downed/recovered US drones during the Vietnam war.

www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_344.shtml

Hell, the first drones were WWII.  We had remote control B-17s and B-24s (That is how Joe Kennedy Jr. died, btw)
The modern UAV with modern navigation and flight controls with sat comm were developed and used by Israel in the 1982 Bekkaa valley.
The leaps that made UAV so versatle and useful were made by Israel.

Yep.  The Israelis used them to locate all the Syrian SAM/radar sites and the frequencies of their radars.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
helfire on an unarmored target like infantry? how well does that work?

It works like a grenade with more metal parts flying around. If they hit something that can be broken up, such as Haji's car, the metal shards tears up bodies nearby.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Wonder if you'd be popular with the ladies..."ya,,I fly a predator," sniff sniff adjust pilot's sunglasses.

And after you adjust your aviator glasses, play some beach volleyball.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember old news stories of the 1980's UAVs.  Typical BS, how the pentagon was taking a tried adn proven weapon and Gold Plating it.

Funny, those Israeli UAVs were little more than a radio controlled camera.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
... Everything you ever wanted to know about UAV's but were afraid to ask.

Right click - Save As

... Caution - HUGE file, but worth the wait if you are in to UAV's

UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS ROADMAP 2005-2030
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Can't wait for the next gunshow....so I can see what that UAV Predator mil-surp flight suit looks like.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Can't wait for the next gunshow....so I can see what that UAV Predator mil-surp flight suit looks like.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Actually, the first drones flew in WWI believe it or not. (USA and England)
Air-to-Air missiles existed in WWII (Germany)
Air to Ground Missiles existed in WWII (Germany)
Night vision existed in WWII (Germany)

Etc., Etc.. The shit we have now works better though.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

how well does that work?

Apparently, well enough.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I love it when fags like that are whacked before they can shoot or set off bombs.  

"Fags"?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love it when fags like that are whacked before they can shoot or set off bombs.  

"Fags"?

That comment might tell you something about the poster.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:15:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Now I have a mental image of hairdressers and male flight attendants attacking Army bases.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Dave

The US had night vision in WWII too, the M3 Carbine (M2 with a night scope attached).
I thought the WWII German air to air and air to ground missiles were more unguided rockets than actual missiles with homing capability? Got a link, I'd love to read up on the history of them?

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dave

The US had night vision in WWII too, the M3 Carbine (M2 with a night scope attached).
I thought the WWII German air to air and air to ground missiles were more unguided rockets than actual missiles with homing capability? Got a link, I'd love to read up on the history of them?

Kharn

www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust12.htm
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Cruise missiles in a sense are a UAV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted: Can't wait for the next gunshow....so I can see what that UAV Predator mil-surp flight suit looks like.
 www.hawaiianshirts.us/Hawaiian%20shirt%2076.jpg

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Cool!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#37]
FWIW:  Hellfires are also available with Blast-Frag warheads.  Those tend to work well against people in open areas.  Last I heard, there is also a Thermobaric warhead in the pipeline.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#38]
dup.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I often rag on today's generation as being a bunch of do-nothing Vidiots, but if all the hours playing computer games pays off with some vidiot becoming a UAV pilot and smoking a bunch of camel jockeys, then I must admit that all the hours of playing computer games wasn't really such a waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#40]
i didn't know til a little while back that marines flew drones also my nephew did that over in the sand box and got him a couple of hodgies with some hellfires also. i told him all that video game time was time well spent.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Watch as CAIR starts monitoring all those computer game tournaments on al-Qaeda's behalf.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I wounder if anybody in the UAV world has ever though about putting a machinegun with say about a 1000 rds on it with an automatic search and destroy capability on anybody in civys with weapons or with movement tracking and locking where the operator would be instantly informed by onboard search engine of anybody below with weapons that the uav see's.  Have the gun slaved into it so as soon as the operator sees's a tango he can instantly shoot the gun and drop them.  Have a couple of dozen flying over any hotbed of tango activitiy.  Gosh Terminator kill techno is pretty much here now!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top