Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 7:33:37 PM EDT
Got a quick question....but first heres some background

I am a student at UH downtown and currently live (have paperwork to prove it) in Houston.  Being a student, I am still a legal resident of West Virginia and still have a West Virginia Drivers License.  I know for a fact that I can buy a rifle or a shotgun here in Texas but not a Pistol (from a dealer).  

I was wondering if that same rule applied to private sales, ....I know I can buy a rifle or a shotgun in a private sale, but can I buy a pistol from a private citizen in a private sale?

Any help will be much appreciated
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an attorney, but my understanding is that IF there is nothing that prevents you from purchase of a handgun, ie: felony, drugs, family violence etc, there is nothing preventing you from a private party purchase of said handgun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you...I appreciate it......if anyone has any opinion to the contrary, let me know, I am looking to buy a pistol soon
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Private sales of both long guns and handguns are only legal between residents of the same state. If the state of Texas does not consider you a resident of the state then you are limited to purchasing only long guns from a Texas FFL.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Read the post again - He's talking PRIVATE PARTY sale......
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If he is not a legal resident of the state of Texas as determined by Texas law then he is prohibited from private party transfers of all firearms under Federal law.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your post...I appreciate the info.

The thing is, I tried to buy a handgun at a local gun shop here, and even after I told them my story and that I could show them my car insurance policy with my Houston address on it, they told me that they still couldn't sell to me because I don't have a Texas driver's license.  

I guess I could get a Texas drivers license, but don't you have to be a resident for like 6 months first, and I really dont want to get one, because I like still a WV license (it's where I vote, hunt , and do other things where it's still helpful to have a WV drivers license)....

there has to be some way for me to buy a hangun from an FFL  here without getting a Texas license
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#7]
You can establish residency in as many states as you want to based on the individual states law. Your state of domicile (generally) is the state where you file your federal income tax return, vote from and always intend to retun to someday. Some states (FL for one) will issue you a driver license that is only good in that state and allow you to keep your other license. You need a .gov issued ID to prove residency in a state to purchase firearms but it doesn't have to be a driver license.

Some states consider college students residents while others do not. You have to check with the state of Texas to see what their residency requirements are.

"New residents moving into Texas, who have a valid driver license from their home state, have 30 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas driver license. To apply for a Texas driver license, applicants will be required to:"

www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/movingtotexas.htm
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he is not a legal resident of the state of Texas as determined by Texas law then he is prohibited from private party transfers of all firearms under Federal law.

rkbar15-
I learn something new every day on this board and this is one of 'em.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Dude- since you got your insurance in your name, delivered to your address, then go get a TX DL
I had a TX DL when i was living in Oklahoma- as long as you  have a bill in  your name that shows TX residency then you are good to go!
Good luck on your purchas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top