Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 1:39:44 PM EDT
My mouse pointer started to move on its own.  Just briefly and only laterally 6"s or so across the screen.  I am on a cable line running Zone Alarm.

WTF?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it a laptop?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
using zone alarms default settings? then any hacker knows what settings to attack your system. software firewalls offer questionable protection. if you feel you need firewall protection go with a hardware device like a router.

have you run microsofts security updates lately?

do you have up-to-date virus software?

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Call Ghostbusters or reboot.  Rebooting fixes 99% of all problems I've come across.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Clean your mouse and your mousepad.
Replace the batteries in it (I think you have one of those wireless mousie thingies)
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My does it sometimes too. I think it has something to do with java script, but then again I'm a PC retard! [abused]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it an optical mouse?  My optical mice go crazy if I use them on wood tone deskstops, sometimes moving all over the screen without input.  Try a mouse pad.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Does it move very slowly across the screen or does it move very fast?
Also, are you using one of those little mouse buttons for the laptop?

If so, I have known a number of people with problems with the little mouse button that sits between the keys. It appears after a while they tend to do this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top