Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 9:51:48 AM EDT
So, in class today, my comparative politics professor starts talking about John Kerry having a new issue as of yesterday-the assault weapons ban.

He goes on to describe it as a ban, "Not on hunting rifles or guns for target shooting, but semi automatic weapons made to kill people, and LOTS of them."  Well, I happen to agree that is one use-lawful or not, but I was fuming over the way he said it.

Later on in the discussion, he was speaking of police agencies and he asked, "If a burglar is in your home, are you going to call 911 or pull out your pistol and shoot them in the head?"

At which point I yelled from the middle of the class, "You should use your assault weapon!"

My timing was perfect-I got an outburst of laughter from the whole class and the professor had nothing to say.  Why he painted himself into that corner I'll never know but I sure enjoyed pointing it out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Careful, these liberal teachers remember who gave them a hardtime come grading.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
True.

That's why I made sure he was looking somewhere else when I made my "comment".  In a class of 80 people, I'll be hard to distinguish.  Thanks for the tip though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell yes they do!  Still stingy from my B- in comparative religions

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Re-post when you get your grade. Some weenie will rat you out for extra credit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
It's paranoid to ASSUME that a professor will give you a lower grade for disagreeing with him.

Nothing Carabinero1979 posted indicated that this guy is that kind of asshole.

But yeah - those professors are definitely out there (I ran into them twice as a student - only reason I didn't graduate with a perfect 4.0 )
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
POLI SCI --- not poly sci....

I say this because I have a degree in POLI SCI International relations.

You should have kicked him in the nuts too
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's paranoid to ASSUME that a professor will give you a lower grade for disagreeing with him.

But yeah - those professors are definitely out there (I ran into them twice as a student - only reason I didn't graduate with a perfect 4.0 )

+1

college professors hate it when they have to learn something new.

(I work with 200+ college professors a day, trust me in the fact that everything they need to know, they learned before the graduated.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

(I work with 200+ college professors a day, trust me in the fact that everything they need to know, they learned before the graduated.)

That's probably my biggest complaint about them.
and not all of them, but a large portion seem to think that because they are a college professor they know everything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'd disagree with that somewhat, based on my experience.  As a researcher, I've learned much more AFTER I got my Ph.D., and I am continually learning new things as I have to stay on the cutting edge of my research field.  Without continually learning the latest research, it would be impossible to publish and succeed in my career (and time will tell whether I will succeed or not ).

However - a lot of my research isn't reflected in the topics I teach, so you might be seeing that aspect of it.  

That said, students who ask the tough questions and challenge me in class are the ones who are going to get the higher grades (all else equal) - and the ones who never say anything, or just agree, get the lower grades.

Different people have different approaches.  Professors or instructors who try to impose their PERSONAL views on a class (unless that is part of the purpose of the class), or who panalize students who disagree with ther OPINION - are assholes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Grades in college don't mean much just pass and get your diploma and give all your Libby douchbag teachers hell!!!

I made a Hyperliby femanazi teacher CRY in class she was ranting about how awful men were and how women would rule the world better than men, and why if she was head of a large company she would promote all the women, I looked her square in the eyes and said "you despise us (men) and yet you want to be just like us (men)."   All her chicken head Birkenstock lackeys all hushed and she had nothing to say, she stood there in awkward silence for a while trying to think of something to say, I just stared at her making it that much more tense till her eyes welled up and she bolted to the door.

I actually got a decent grade in the class, so I’ll give her that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's probably my biggest complaint about them.
and not all of them, but a large portion seem to think that because they are a college professor they know everything.

That is my biggest bitch in the world. I am a pretty smart kid,

And I argued for 2 hours with my Lit professor about american literature,

she thought she was sooo right!

I never backed down.

and still got 100's on all my papers.

There are some really cool ones, but there are some dicks too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd disagree with that somewhat, based on my experience.  As a researcher, I've learned much more AFTER I got my Ph.D., and I am continually learning new things as I have to stay on the cutting edge of my research field.  Without continually learning the latest research, it would be impossible to publish and succeed in my career (and time will tell whether I will succeed or not ).

However - a lot of my research isn't reflected in the topics I teach, so you might be seeing that aspect of it.  

That said, students who ask the tough questions and challenge me in class are the ones who are going to get the higher grades (all else equal) - and the ones who never say anything, or just agree, get the lower grades.

Different people have different approaches.  Professors or instructors who try to impose their PERSONAL views on a class (unless that is part of the purpose of the class), or who panalize students who disagree with ther OPINION - are assholes.

And I completely realize this, but take for instance English professors (or worse Nursing Faculty)
and teaching how to use a computer.

might as well teach my dog to talk, it would take less time.

I get the feeling that you are one of the cool ones

you crazy dutchman
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

He goes on to describe it as a ban, "Not on hunting rifles or guns for target shooting, but semi automatic weapons made to kill people, and LOTS of them."  

I don't know if he would have retaliated against you, but perhaps you missed an opportunity.

You could have (respectfully) said, "Excuse me, Dr. Liberal, but that is not entirely correct.  In fact, the law did indeed have negative effects on target rifles and hunting rifles.  I happen to be a recreational shooter and have been unable to buy new high capacity magazines for my firearms without paying a preimum price.  Etc, etc, etc."

Who knows.  You might have made a couple of converts.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that you take a bad grade if it would have resulted in that.  It would be your call.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And I completely realize this, but take for instance English professors (or worse Nursing Faculty)

I hear ya - and people who act all ARROGANT because of some degree really piss me off.

A Ph.D. is really not that hard to get - all you need is a lot of time, patience and money.  Like you said - Ph.D.'s in things like English or History and stuff don't really impress me that much (hope I'm not offending anyone else here ).  If you're training to actually become a serious researcher in en empirical field at a research-1 university, the PhD can be VERY difficult to get, but most PhD's are not going into those few jobs.

What's interesting is that the people I know and work with (and see at conferences, etc) are some of the top people in their fields, who conduct empirical research and publish in the top journals in the world in their field - and pretty much any of them are really open-minded and humble about things they DON'T know.  

I think a lot of the people who act like assholes are the ones who are inherently insecure - and who may have the piece of paper, but may NOT actually be that good at their jobs.  So they compensate by acting all high-and-mighty towards other people. I can't stand people like that.

you crazy dutchman

Bastard!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya - and people who act all ARROGANT because of some degree really piss me off.

A Ph.D. is really not that hard to get - all you need is a lot of time, patience and money.  Like you said - Ph.D.'s in things like English or History and stuff don't really impress me that much (hope I'm not offending anyone else here ).  If you're training to actually become a serious researcher in en empirical field at a research-1 university, the PhD can be VERY difficult to get, but most PhD's are not going into those few jobs.

What's interesting is that the people I know and work with (and see at conferences, etc) are some of the top people in their fields, who conduct empirical research and publish in the top journals in the world in their field - and pretty much any of them are really open-minded and humble about things they DON'T know.  

I think a lot of the people who act like assholes are the ones who are inherently insecure - and who may have the piece of paper, but may NOT actually be that good at their jobs.  So they compensate by acting all high-and-mighty towards other people. I can't stand people like that.

you crazy dutchman

Bastard!  

Exactly!

Well, except for the Bastard part as that appears to be between you and Ghostchild.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like the bastard I had for "Contemporary Moral Issues" when I was in College.

I could not sit back and let it go. I would call bullshit every time he started in on Gun Control, even wrote my final thesis on the subject.

Had him so mad that one of the other professors told me he referred to me as "The Gun Nut Asshole". I had a shirt printed which said that which I wore to his class.

I even got him so exasperated in front of the class on one occasion that I got him to cuss me. That was a fun day for me.

Funny part of the story? I made an A+ in his class. Apparently, he liked the discourse.

SG
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I have noticed that that in all fields, the people who are actually smart and good at what they do are humble about it, and the idiots act like arrogant jackasses.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Any lib prof is automatically suspect of being a back stabber unless and until they prove their honor come grading time. I was burned three times by libs who promised repeatedly that they were fair. Hardly any lib prof is fair, it is not in their nature. All libs live to shame or harm non-lib students, it is their life's work.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#19]
You will find more conservative, more reasonable, NORMAL people in Economics and Business schools.  They usually give the libs hell in their meetings, as they use calm, reasoned, FACTUAL arguments, not emotional BS.

Not all college profs are like that.

In fact, some of gun owners best friends in academia are economists like John Lott.  Even ones that are not pro-gun can look at the actual studies and facts, and see that they support US, not the antis.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You will find more conservative, more reasonable, NORMAL people in Economics and Business schools.  They usually give the libs hell in their meetings, as they use calm, reasoned, FACTUAL arguments, not emotional BS.

Not all college profs are like that.

In fact, some of gun owners best friends in academia are economists like John Lott.  Even ones that are not pro-gun can look at the actual studies and facts, and see that they support US, not the antis.

As an Economist I agree with you.

Oh, BTW, I once told a high school teach to go join his father (six feet under).   He shut up and moved on.  I'm normally a nice guy, but he publicly mocked my dad for being in the power industry.  I gave his medicine right back to him.

He got back at me through grades, but oh well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
True.

That's why I made sure he was looking somewhere else when I made my "comment".  In a class of 80 people, I'll be hard to distinguish.  Thanks for the tip though.

I've doing the 2nd Amend rights thing for awhile, and I've a lot of people. I met this one guy who WAS a teacher in LAUSD, and he claims that he was fired in retribution for his pro-gun views. So a word to the wise when dealing with the anti-gunners.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#22]
This isn't exactly related, but something interesting happened today.  I was in my educational psycology class, and to describe "compartmentalization", she explained that Clinton believed that the fact that he had an affair with Monica and lied about it had no bearing on his presidency and his ability to do that job honestly and well.

She describes herself as a "republicrat".
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#23]
My professor with a PhD., who is very well respected in the business world (the consults for billion dollar companies) shot down the anti-gun ninnies with cold hard facts and in-depth analysis.  

Everyone respects what he has to say.  He was so well spoken I almost fell out of my chair!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I lucked out, I manged to get two semi-conservatives for my socio and poli sci classes here in the heart of SF Bay Area. I couldnt figure out how it worked, but it does. Nice to not have to zip the lip come "class discussion" time.

John
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
He goes on to describe it as a ban, "Not on hunting rifles or guns for target shooting, but semi automatic weapons made to kill people, and LOTS of them."  

Oooooh.... so is THAT why so many police departments use them nowadays - to kill lots of people?

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I corrected an english lit professor couple of semesters ago about WW1.

It all started with some poem by WF Yeats. Anyways, she went on to tell how WW1 started in 1922. I told her it was 10 yrs prior. A colleague told her otherwise, yada, yada. She wrote what I said down.

Next class, when we got our papers back, she had a small post-it on my paper. She said I was right but to never confront, or correct her in class. Sad part was not a single fucking boob in the class knew either. Sad.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It all started with some poem by WF Yeats. Anyways, she went on to tell how WW1 started in 1922. I told her it was 10 yrs prior. A colleague told her otherwise, yada, yada. She wrote what I said down.

Next class, when we got our papers back, she had a small post-it on my paper. She said I was right but to never confront, or correct her in class. Sad part was not a single fucking boob in the class knew either. Sad.

That kind of stuff really burns my ass.

What she SHOULD have done - had she any integrity - is to publicly tell the entire class that you were right, and thank you for bringing it up.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Funny.  My three years of teaching experience (at the college level), few years of grad school, and more than a few hours keeping current have taught me a couple things.

1.  Rude students get their grade hammered, (participation) no matter their political leaning.
2.  I can learn, I learn every day, sometimes even from my students (the open minded ones usually).
3.  Liberal academia is in fact just that, but don't paint us all with the same brush.  Besides, be glad your prof is open about their political leanings, it allows you to identify any bias (and take their political message with a grain of salt..

But, I can add, have some courage.  When you want to challenge a prof don't do it with a one liner behind their back.  That teaches NOTHING.  They didn't open their mind to learn because you didn't show any respect.  You didn't provide a "warrant" (backing information) for your "claim" (one liner), thus you didn't make an argument.  You think you owned your prof, but you didn't communicate a single new fact to that person.   You don't have to agree with everyone, but at least learn to disagree professionally.

shooter
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Where I go to college in Texas, alot of my POLI SCI teachers are very much republican, so these issues never come up  because they arnt considered issues, even one teacher bashes the liberals on a daily basis, only reason I even look forward to going to his class!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]

"If a burglar is in your home, are you going to call 911 or pull out your pistol and shoot them in the head?"

WTF do you think Professor?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Well, nothing other than THE EXACT WORDS OF THE PROFESSOR!!!!!!

Anyone who is THAT irrational about guns IS irrational enuf to grade down people who like guns.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Where I go to college in Texas, alot of my POLI SCI teachers are very much republican, so these issues never come up  because they arnt considered issues, even one teacher bashes the liberals on a daily basis, only reason I even look forward to going to his class!

I guess you're not referring to UT Austin:

A study was done regarding the "diversity" of political affiliation among College Faculty in America. American Enterprise magazine (Sept. 2002) did a review of the political affiliations of College professors across the major Universities and Colleges. The political affiliations of professors (based on primary voter registrations) last year were as follows:

More than 90% of professors who work in the Arts & Sciences Departments at major colleges and universities belong to either Democrat, Green or Working Class parties ("left-leaning" parties) -- with very few registered as either Republican or Libertarian ("right-leaning" parties).  

Here are just some of the comparisons of the numbers of professors who are registered in "left-leaning" political parties (first number listed) versus "right-leaning" political parties (second number listed):

* 59-7 at Berkeley
* 99-6 at University of California-San Diego
* 166-6 at Cornell Univ.
* 151-17 at Stanford Univ.  

* 59-10 at Univ. of Maryland with...
... 24-3 Sociology Professors
... 17-3 Political Science Professors
... 8-4 Economics Professsors

* 50-2 at Harvard with...
... 15-0 Sociology Professors
... 15-1 Economics Professors
... 20-1 Political Science Professors

* 94-15 at University of Texas at Austin with...
... 35-7 English Professors
... 12-2 History Professors
... 15-4 Political Science Professors
... 5-1 Philosophy Professors

* 59-10 at Penn State with...
... 34-3 Sociology Professors
... 8-4 Economics Professors

* 72-1 at University of California-Santa Barbara with...
... 28-1 History Professors
... 21-0 English Professors
... 13-0 Political Science Professors
... 8-0 Journalism Professors

* 116-5 at University of Colorado-Boulder with...
... 29-1 History Professors
... 17-2 Political Science Professors
... 37-0 English Professors
... 14-0 Journalism

* 54-3 at Brown Univ. with...
... 10-0 English Professors
... 17-0 History Professors
... 7-0 Political Science Professors
... 8-0 Sociology Professors
... 5-1 Economics Professors
... 7-2 Engineering Professors

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, nothing other than THE EXACT WORDS OF THE PROFESSOR!!!!!!

Anyone who is THAT irrational about guns IS irrational enuf to grade down people who like guns.

Sorry - I don't see that.   Someone being factually uninformed or having a particular opinion does not automatically to me suggest that they would have no integrity.

Stupid people can have plenty of honesty and integrity, and still be wrong and opinionated.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have noticed that that in all fields, the people who are actually smart and good at what they do are humble about it, and the idiots act like arrogant jackasses.

+1, and good job getting a laugh.

I prefer to engage in a dialog which tends to set the record straight about the sitution. I am still learning how to spell though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I recall you posting this info before. What a pompous moron she was. Truth is truth, whether she likes it or not. I'll bet she would have had no compunction about correcting you in class.

I'll bet many profs corrected her in her day.......

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Sorry - I don't see that.   Someone being factually uninformed or having a particular opinion does not automatically to me suggest that they would have no integrity.

"fear of inanimate objects is a sign of a mental and sexual immaturity."

--Sigmund Freud

I find it wholly plausible mentally immature people would grade down those who dare disagree with them - ESPECIALLY in front of their entire class.

Stupid people can have plenty of honesty and integrity, and still be wrong and opinionated.

Sure and the Red Sox MIGHT one day win another world series.

However, my beleif is that these types of liberal bed wetter profs think its their MORAL DUTY to grade down conservatives to try to "open their  minds" to the liberals fantasy world.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Reminds me of my poli sci class last weeks.

Guy raises his hand and asks "Why don't conservatives protest... there were hardly any of them in Boston and the few that showed up were in a cage?"

I just kind yelled out from the back "Conservatives have jobs!"

Even the prof laughed... he's a good guy.

Don't be afraid to be cool with your Profs.... DON"T be a dick... there is a fine line!  

- BUCC_Guy

EDIT:   I was shootin the shit with the same prof today and mentioned the AWB and he said "So you know a bit about them?"

To which I said "Yes sir, I picked up another one over the summer."

His response?

"Was it a post-ban or a pre-ban?"

I shit you not... college prof asked me.  I was blown away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you're not referring to UT Austin:

A study was done regarding the "diversity" of political affiliation among College Faculty in America. American Enterprise magazine (Sept. 2002) did a review of the political affiliations of College professors across the major Universities and Colleges. The political affiliations of professors (based on primary voter registrations) last year were as follows:

More than 90% of professors who work in the Arts & Sciences Departments at major colleges and universities belong to either Democrat, Green or Working Class parties ("left-leaning" parties) -- with very few registered as either Republican or Libertarian ("right-leaning" parties).  

Here are just some of the comparisons of the numbers of professors who are registered in "left-leaning" political parties (first number listed) versus "right-leaning" political parties (second number listed):

* 59-7 at Berkeley
* 99-6 at University of California-San Diego
* 166-6 at Cornell Univ.
* 151-17 at Stanford Univ.  

* 59-10 at Univ. of Maryland with...
... 24-3 Sociology Professors
... 8-4 Economics Professsors

* 50-2 at Harvard with...
... 15-0 Sociology Professors
... 15-1 Economics Professors
... 20-1 Political Science Professors

* 94-15 at University of Texas at Austin with...
... 35-7 English Professors
... 12-2 History Professors
... 15-4 Political Science Professors
... 5-1 Philosophy Professors

* 59-10 at Penn State with...
... 34-3 Sociology Professors
... 8-4 Economics Professors

* 72-1 at University of California-Santa Barbara with...
... 28-1 History Professors
... 21-0 English Professors
... 13-0 Political Science Professors
... 8-0 Journalism Professors

* 116-5 at University of Colorado-Boulder with...
... 29-1 History Professors
... 17-2 Political Science Professors
... 37-0 English Professors
... 14-0 Journalism

* 54-3 at Brown Univ. with...
... 10-0 English Professors
... 17-0 History Professors
... 7-0 Political Science Professors
... 8-0 Sociology Professors
... 5-1 Economics Professors
... 7-2 Engineering Professors

OH HELL NO ITS NOT UT AUSTIN,  READ SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY, WHERE THE PRESIDENTS WIFE WENT TO SCHOOL! ACCORDING TO SOME COLLEGE GUIDE WERE IN THE TOP 5 SCHOOLS FOR THE PROMOTION OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AND A SCHOOL WHICH STILL "REVELS IN THE REGAN DAYS" WHATEVER THAT SUPPOSEDLY MEANS I DO NOT KNOW, BUT,  SMU IS FOR SURE A REPUBLICAN PLACE, MAKE NO BONES ABOUT IT!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#39]
When my girl friend was in college she had a black femenazi liberal proffesor. I cant rember the class she was in.  She was doing great all year, somewhere in the 90s. She was also the only female in the class. So anyways for her final paper is about how blacks demand to be equal to whites, yet insist on have their own schools, organizations, media and on and on. Her final grade ended up in the low 70s. When she called the proffesor to ask her why she got such a low grade she tried getting around the subject until she threatened to ask the school board about her grade. Her final grade all of the sudden shot up into the 90s.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Let's just put ti this way DKProf -

I would NEVER, EVER depend on the reasonbleness, logic and good will of an anti gunner for anything as significant as this.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Let's just put ti this way DKProf -

I would NEVER, EVER depend on the reasonbleness, logic and good will of an anti gunner for anything as significant as this.

That's probably wise - I'm just saying that people don't KNOW that someone is vindictive and without integrity just because they hold a different opinion from you.

I understand that it's nice to paint everyone who disagree with oneself as irrational or without integrity or common sense (and I like to do that myself  - you crazy man, you! ) - but it's often just not true.  It may be true some of the time - I'm just observing that it is inaccurate (and potentially disfunctional) to assume it is always so.  By questioning in a polite and reasaonable way (perhaps outside class the first time) it might be possibel to create much more stimulating, blanced and interesting discussions in class - that would have been missed by just assuming the instructor is a vindictive, irrational asshole.

My fiancee for example, is a university professor.  She is also quite anti-gun and very pro-Kerry.  However, she also has more integrity and honesty in ehr little finger than most people will ever have in their lives.  She wouldn't even comprehend the CONCEPT of penalizing a student for disagreeing with her, or having a different opinoin.  Her favorite students are the ex-military officers (mostly very conservative), because they are smart, critical thinkers - and not afraid to push back when they disagree with something.

This isn't about my fiancee - she's just a good example because I know her well - I'm just saying it's dangerous to assume that people are dishonest, irrational, etc - because they disagree with you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#42]
On the other side of the coin, as an adjunct instructor for English Composition and basic Lit. courses it's interesting to see some of the misconceptions the students harbor. Since I'm new at the whole teaching thing I, unlike some of the more "established" grad students, encourage hot-button topics for position papers and research. Abortion, Capital Punishment, and Gun Control topped the list of those particular subjects, and I was amazed at how few students want to engage in serious discussion or exploration of their thoughts on these matters. Out of the 100 students I had last year for Composition 1 or 2 only about ten took issue with Abortion and only only two took up Gun Control.

One of the Gun papers was about the recent change in Missouri's CCW, and it was an even-handed research report. The student eventually concluded that only time would tell if the change in the law would be good or bad for society. The other student's paper dealt with the AWB and as an added treat it rambled over a few other hot issues the HCI/Sarah Brady types like to keep bringing up. That student took a good deal of my time toward the end of the semester with me trying to get him to recognize the bias of his secondary sources. I told him and the other students to always go to the primary source of a statistic whenever possible: that most interpretive sources are horribly biased and tend to slant any statistical information they report towards their point of view. Ultimately this kid came up with a paper that considered both sides of the issue and he finally came to a conclusion that indicated that he would keep an open mind on the subject in the future.

When you're criticizing professors, keep in mind what sort of mentalities they're dealing with in their students. MOST, not all, 18-22 year olds in college are just learning to fly with their own thoughts and opinions. For a large number of them it's a brand new experience to be away from home and out from under their parents' influence. I think a lot of liberal college professors are aware of this and subconsciously attempt to exploit it a bit. They know that for the most part they will have a sympathetic audience. So it's a good thing to challenge them on occasion. If they have the nerve to speak up with their biased political opinions, however, they should rightly expect at least some opposition in a few of their classes. It may be difficult to do, but if you get the sense that you are being graded for your political beliefs and not your ability to recall and analyze the class material, you have a legitimate complaint and should take it up with your advisor or Dean.

As a sidenote, I've been told for years how technologically savvy the current crop of students are supposed to be. It really surprised me how many students (mostly 18-19 year olds) were stumped when I told them they were to use MSWord *.doc files or an equivalent from another program converted to .doc format. We also did some work with .html and many of them had very little understanding of files, filesystems and directories. My guess is about 20 of 100 students had zero knowledge of the basics, and  50-60 of them were not comfortable navigating through a directory on an unfamiliar computer. There were 4 or 5 who never figured out the html part at all. Some of these kids had no idea that the output they're looking at on a computer screen is an amalgam of hardware and software parts working together to create the image and document manipulation system that most people are familiar with. These are not inner-city students either. They come from middle to upper-middle class communities and reputable schools. The myth that kids today are inherently knowledgable about technology is probably going to cause some problems in the near future.

So as with the generalities that apply to professors, the stereotypical student is a far cry from reality as well. It's probably safe to go into a class with some fairly specific assumptions, as long as you're prepared to adjust, re-interpret, and reserve final judgment until all the evidence is in.

Giltweasel
Joe Devos
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I understand that it's nice to paint everyone who disagree with oneself as irrational or without integrity or common sense (and I like to do that myself  - you crazy man, you! ) - but it's often just not true.  

My fiancee for example, is a university professor.  She is also quite anti-gun and very pro-Kerry.  However, she also has more integrity and honesty in ehr little finger than most people will ever have in their lives.  .

anti-gun people are BY DEFINITION irrational. Take Freuds word for it, if mine doesn't hold weight.

{edited to send by IM}

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

anti-gun people are BY DEFINITION irrational. Take Freuds word for it, if mine doesn't hold weight.

{edited to send by IM}

I guess I just disagree.   Pretty much everyone is irrational - it just depends what the topic is.  People who don't wear seatbelt for example, are completely irrational to me - but it doesn't mean that I would assume that they are not honest nor have integrity.

Technically, I could quite easily make the point that ALL people are irrational (but you'd be as bored as I would be if I started citing psych and econ research at you

(and as an aside, I don't find psychoanalysis to be science, nor does it - at least to me - prove anything.  YOUR word holds more weight to me that Freud's  )
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I just spew all the bulslhit they feed me back out to them in the test.  70% - 90% of a liberal arts degree is just liberal indoctrination anyways...

The only time I engaged in in-class discourse this semester was the first day...
at the end of the class, one of the other students said, "So, you must be one of those Constitutionalists!"  God, I hope I am...

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Dittos.  I use the "PhD" in my nickname because it probably freaks out liberals, who assume all PhDs are on their side.  I have a dumb-ass soccer mom neighbor who assumes I am a big lefty because my wife is a minority and I have a PhD.  

Pretty sad when people with PhDs insist on being called "Doctor".  

In my field you have to be moderately intelligent and able to do fairly complex math, then as DK-Prof says it's a matter of sacrificing time, income and fun.  

PS.  I saw that at Princeton U the faculty/staff had donated $50,000 to Kerry and $250 to Bush.  Says a lot.  

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top