Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2004 5:36:50 AM EDT
Greek Rack Grade.  They got my paperwork on Monday, and it will be delivered this morning!!  Incredible!!  Too bad they didn't send it UPS, since being the UPS pilot for my town, I'd have my rifle by now .  So I have to wait a couple more hours for the FedEx guys to wander into town with it.  But man, that is fast processing on their part.

Just need an Internationl Harvester to complete the collection.  I highly doubt this one will be as nice as my Springfield or Winchester, but need a winter project anyway.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I know.................if it were sent UPS, we'd have to make sure to bust it all to hell before letting the customer have it!!!  

In all honesty and in our own defense, if you saw the "production" it takes to get these boxes from point A to point B overnight, it is $%^&* mind boggling!!  It still amazes me how it's done.  And I don't know about other places, but handling the boxes roughly isn't tolerated.  Sure, it happens on occasion, but I don't have any trouble/problem yelling at the loaders when they get a little rough with the boxes.  

I guess the way I view it, is when the box is in my sight and it is coming on board my plane, it is now my responsibility, just like the plane is always my responsibility.  I know people pay a lot of money to get these boxes overnight and they don't want them beat all to hell.  I take that responsibility very seriously.  

I'll let ya' know the condition of the rifle!!  Whoo hooo!!!!!!!!!!!1

vmax84

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:59:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Springfield service grade last year, and it was a great purchase. I got a rifle made in 1953 with completely correct parts and matching date stamps on the barrel. The rifle has hardly any wear at all, an excellent bore and was clean as a whistle when I got it, and the walnut stock is in good shape.

As far as I can tell it is a completely correct rifle, one of the last ones made.

The rifle is accurate, though my skill with it is greatly lacking. Of course I haven't spent much time shooting it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#4]
CMP Garands = crack cocaine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No kidding. they are addicting as heck.  I thought I'd be "happy" with one Garand.  No, not me!!  Got one of the last Springfield's ever produced with a beautiful stock and new barrel, a World War 2 Winchester with a beat to hell stock (must of been shipped UPS  ) and shot out barrel, and now receiving a Harrington and Richardson.........just need an International!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I really enjoy my AR, drives frickin' nails, but there's just something about them Garands, the .30 caliber round, and that classic sound it makes when the enbloc clip gets flung out.

vmax84

Edited to correct some spelling.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

You get to the point you even start naming yourself after them.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a pic of my Springfield.  I don't know who the dolt was shooting at the target before I started shooting , but here's my best group at 100 yards with it.  Great rifle.

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#9]
And here's my Danish Winchester with a shot out barrel.  Still not too bad and me behind the trigger!!

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You get to the point you even start naming yourself after them.  

That's just one of the things I've always liked about you g-man.

For people that don't yet have one:  Just for the sheer amount of history wrapped into these guns - they are without a doubt - one of top values in the firearms market.

A long time ago, well not that long ago, I had a H&R woodless that I dropped into a new Boyds stock set.  Man, was that a great looking piece - anyway - traded it for a new Glock 34 set-up for my main addiction: action pistol.

Now, sadly, I'm down to two:  A Dane SA with a VAR barrel (which I shoot the hell out of), and what was probably one of the last few Winchester Collector Grades shipped out (waited over a year for it - paid $750 - worth probably over 4X that now).

Despite the fact that I've won 4 state titles using that very same G34, I still kick myself in the ass for selling the H&R.  I will never sell another CMP gun (and that includes my Remington 541x).
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have a link to the website?  I have a C&R, is that all I need?  And about how much do these run?  How much did the ones in the pictures run?  Good looking guns!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I hate all of you

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:20:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anyone have a link to the website?  I have a C&R, is that all I need?  And about how much do these run?  How much did the ones in the pictures run?  Good looking guns!

At the time, the nice looking Springfield was $400 (service grade).  I think I paid $350 or something like that (maybe it was $400) for the Danish Garand.  (A mind is a terrible thing to lose).  

Whooo hoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!  My Harrington and Richardson just showed up ($320 delivered).  Nice stock and rear handguard (believe stock is beech or something, locks up tight with the receiver and trigger group), receiver 5,662,,xxx, barrel in great shape with strong rifling, no pitting, just a small ding at the muzzle which doesn't get into the exit of the barrel (whoo hooooo!!!!), H&R barrel 7-55.  Mostly H&R parts with a few Springfield parts (dang, and here I was hoping for an all H&R gun ).  

I'm very happy!!  Overall an outstanding rifle that just needs a good cleaning (actually, it's not that greasy or grimy at all).  Dang thing is alot tighter that I thought it would be.

If you don't have a CMP Garand, now is your time!!  Mailed my paperwork out last Friday, they received it last Monday, and I got my rifle today!!!   ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks CMP!!!  

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A long time ago, well not that long ago, I had a H&R woodless that I dropped into a new Boyds stock set.  Man, was that a great looking piece - anyway - traded it for a new Glock 34 set-up for my main addiction: action pistol.

Man, did YOU get robbed!!Tim
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, did YOU get robbed!!

Tim

Not robbed really - I put less than $375 into the rifle initially and after the sale it paid for a new G34, Wilderness belt, and Ky-tac holster with 3 mag holders - the only part of the set-up it didn't cover all that well was what I had to pay for pre-ban magazines.

Nonetheless - I still kind of miss that M1.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Gave up: Garand

Got: GlockTim
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody know if my receiver and barrel might be original?   Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#19]

receiver 5,662,,xxx, H&R barrel 7-55

Sounds like it - I'd look up the manufacturing date via the s/n and see if it was made in July of 1955.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Got that right.

I ordered my second one today.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

receiver 5,662,,xxx, H&R barrel 7-55

Sounds like it - I'd look up the manufacturing date via the s/n and see if it was made in July of 1955.

Oh yeah.........that's close enough for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

vmax84

I would guess so.  My 5.7 HRA has orig. barrel and it is dated 3-56.  Duffs books don't really have good production dates for post WWII rifles.

Tim
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

vmax84

I would guess so.  My 5.7 HRA has orig. barrel and it is dated 3-56.  Duffs books don't really have good production dates for post WWII rifles.

Tim

My guess is that it's original as well.  Since the ser# is in the later range of H&R's post-war production, it would be odd to have an original barrel replaced with one that's only a few years older.  You'd think that if it was a newer barrel, it'd be a lot newer (like some of the Brenda barrels on the Danes).
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#24]
The Barrel is right.

I've gotten two Greek RG HRA's, the first a 5.58 mil had original finish and was all correct HRA, stock set was beat but it was the orig HRA set. Overall better than most of the Service grade HRA's I've received.
The second I got last week was a Greek refinished 5.63 mil with original barrel in excellent condition TE 2 and sharp muzzle , had HRA trigger group and Bolt  the rest SA.

I think I have atleast ten H&R M1's now Just need a 4.66 mil...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think I have atleast ten H&R M1's now

Maybe it's time you took up crack?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
For people that don't yet have one:  Just for the sheer amount of history wrapped into these guns - they are without a doubt - one of top values in the firearms market.

Despite the fact that I've won 4 state titles using that very same G34, I still kick myself in the ass for selling the H&R.  I will never sell another CMP gun (and that includes my Remington 541x).

I could kick myself for not buying another 2-3 Mossberg M44's when they were $99.

But I'm gonna have to get another  M1.

I have two - a Springfield M1 rack grade, and a full on match Winchester.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Two more for me:  an IHC and a Winnie so I'll have one from each manufacturer.

Tim
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm gonna get one of the Danish rack ones probably end of November or so.  Probably sooner if sKerry gets elected, so I know I don't have to worry about trying to get one once he gets sworn in.

My friend wants one, too.  then, he found out you have to join a CMP-certified club to be eligible to purchase one.  I told him where else you gonna find a $295 garand?  He said somewhere that don't require that stupid shit!  So, here we are, two weeks later, and he can't find any cheaper.  Stupid bastard.  Pay $18 to join the Air Force Sergeant's Association, get a cool magazine every month or so, and get a helluva deal on a garand!

Or just pay $500 and be ripped because of their "bullshit requirement", to quote my friend.

Kevhug.gif
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I just sent my paperwork in today for a service grade Springfield Garand and one of the 1903-A3 Springfields too.  I hope I get some nice ones.  I hope to get some additional Garands in the near future!!  I'm addicted and I have not even gotten the first one here yet!!!

My order of Korean 30-06 on grand clips will get here next Thursday. I will be waiting to see if my rifles get here as fast as I have been hearing some guys getting there stuff.......one week....wow!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two more for me:  an IHC and a Winnie so I'll have one from each manufacturer.

Tim

I want an IHC garand so bad it is killing me. But I don't want to wait the 1-2 years to get it. I think they even stopped taking orders for them right now

I think it would be sweet as hell to drive around in my Scout with an IH garand in the gun rack!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been thinking about getting one of these but I don't know very much about them (I shoot ARs in Highpower comp). Can someone explain to me the differences between the Greek, Danish, IH, Winchester, Springfield, etc. and which one is the best to get ? I'd like to get one for the history behind them and would probably use it in local Garand matches. Also, what is the clip capacity ? If it's 6 or less, I could also use it for deer hunting in my state. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
they only ship fedex 'cause ups sucks so bad!!! heheh!

congrats! i think you will be impressed with the rack grade. mine shoots very well.

i have 2 greeks, a rack and a service...also own a winny (great collector piece imo).

I bought mine about six months ago.  FedEx left my CMP with my liberal/dike/kerry supporter  neighbor. I was not mad about it, I thought it was very funny, she had to see "Civilian Marksmanship Program" on the box
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting one of these but I don't know very much about them (I shoot ARs in Highpower comp). Can someone explain to me the differences between the Greek, Danish, IH, Winchester, Springfield, etc. and which one is the best to get ? I'd like to get one for the history behind them and would probably use it in local Garand matches. Also, what is the clip capacity ? If it's 6 or less, I could also use it for deer hunting in my state. Thanks.

Greek, Danish, Dutch etc just describes the countries that these were LOANED to after WW2 - they are all american made Garands - usually Springfield or Winchester, but also IHC, H&R etc. (Sorry if you already knew that).  Some of them will have replacement parts - like a lot of the Danish Garands have newer Beretta parts on them, and somce have excellent newer barrels on them.  If you get the cheaper grades, you migth have to replace some wood on them - I've heard that some of the Greek ones may have some rough wood, but the Danes seem to have been in great shape.

The clip in a Garand holds 8 roiunds - but you can buy modified cliips (or do it yourself - either way it's very cheap) to make them hold only 5 or 6).

Garands absolutely rock!   You should definitely get one because the CMP deal is an awesome deal.

If you're not certain if you want one, feel free to take advantage of the "no-risk" deal I offer to every arfcommer who is uncertain - nobody has yet taken me up on it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have a CMP Garand they'd be willing to part with?

Like... cheaply?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Sheldon, be aware that the KA Korean surplus ammo on Garand clips is mildly corrosive.  I almost bought some before that was pointed out to me.  No big deal as long as you thoroughly clean after shooting.  I have heard Windex works well.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I bought a Springfield service grade last year, and it was a great purchase. I got a rifle made in 1953 with completely correct parts and matching date stamps on the barrel. The rifle has hardly any wear at all, an excellent bore and was clean as a whistle when I got it, and the walnut stock is in good shape.

As far as I can tell it is a completely correct rifle,
one of the last ones made.

The rifle is accurate, though my skill with it is greatly lacking. Of course I haven't spent much time shooting it.

+1
exept mine was a collector grade H&R made on 11-53
 $750 and a 14 month waite.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I hate all of you

You be quiet and get on the phone!...

Tell your wenches to start kicking out some more M-2 Ball!, I want them looking under beds, in attics, and under their wooden shoes!..
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Like... cheaply?

The CMP does!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I finally took my CMP Garand shooting two days ago. Holy shit, that thing is fun!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Like... cheaply?

Not me!

Tim
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
He said somewhere that don't require that stupid shit!  So, here we are, two weeks later, and he can't find any cheaper.  Stupid bastard.  Pay $18 to join the Air Force Sergeant's Association, get a cool magazine every month or so, and get a helluva deal on a garand!

Tell him thanks, that leaves more for the rest of us!

Tim
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like... cheaply?

The CMP does!

Without hassles.

The last thing I want to do is spend more than 1 second in a shooting competition here. First of all, I'm going to have to pay to do so... Second of all, I'll be berated as a gun-owner because I like "assault weapons." Then, they'll berate me because they aren't made, designed, and shipped and blessed by Americans (anti-Foreign Firearms).

So, that means, I can't deal through the CMP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Sheldon, be aware that the KA Korean surplus ammo on Garand clips is mildly corrosive.

Well, shit, it HAS to be considering its age and its price.

Seriously, corrosive ammo is not damaging to a firearm as long as you clean it well after using it. If you can't clean the firearm the same day you use corrosive ammo, spray a good 10-second long blast of WD-40 in the action and it'll prevent fouling from being a bitch to remove.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like... cheaply?

The CMP does!

Without hassles.

The last thing I want to do is spend more than 1 second in a shooting competition here. First of all, I'm going to have to pay to do so... Second of all, I'll be berated as a gun-owner because I like "assault weapons." Then, they'll berate me because they aren't made, designed, and shipped and blessed by Americans (anti-Foreign Firearms).

So, that means, I can't deal through the CMP.

IIRC you no longer need to shoot in a formal competition - you just need a range officer to fill out a form that he has observed you handle the firearm and shoot the firearm (there's a bunch of things to check off - you can download the form from the odcmp webpage, I think).

plus, if you've got former (U.S.) military service, they waive the shooting requirement altogether.

I swear, if I was a U.S. citizen, I'd get a Garand every freakin' month of the year!!!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
If you're not certain if you want one, feel free to take advantage of the "no-risk" deal I offer to every arfcommer who is uncertain - nobody has yet taken me up on it.

So, uh, what is your 'no-risk' offer? Just curious.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, uh, what is your 'no-risk' offer? Just curious.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Since I cannot buy directly from the CMP (since I'm not a U.S. citizen) - I always tell people that are not sure if they want one that they can just go ahead and buy it, and if they don't want to keep it, I'll buy it from them (and they can add $50 or $100 or whatever to the price) and they can send it to me.  I have a C&R FFL, so there's nothing inappropriate or illegal about it.

That way there's no risk for anyone - people can buy the Garand from the CMP, knowing that they've got a guaranteed profit and immediate turnaround if they decide they do not like it. It's a win-win, because I'm always happy to pick up another Garand.

I've made this offer numerous times on arfcom over the past three years - and NOBODY has ever offered to sell me their Garand.  (I always know that's going to happen, because everyone LOVES a Garand once they've held one and shot one ).

Don't feel bad for me however - while I always WANT another Garand, I've already got three, so it's not like I'm some desperate poor garandless guy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Don't feel bad for me however - while I always WANT another Garand, I've already got three, so it's not like I'm some desperate poor garandless guy.

Well in that case, I won't feel sorry for you!

I was recently thinking that I might start buying a Garand for each of my nefews and niece (5 so far) and give them out at 18. I have quite a few years to do it, but I got my Garand recently and I still have some time for my paperwork to be valid. Just gotta find the funds. But I have no idea if my sisters would mind, but I really like the idea. Gotta put out some feelers this Thanksgiving...Of course, Uncle Byte would have to function test them and keep them 'tuned'.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Everytime I read these threads I get all psyched to get one!  So I could just go down to my range and have a Range Officer check off some boxes and sign the thing for the competition requirement?!? That would be key!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top