Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2016 4:32:23 PM EDT
I am wanting to purchase a drill press vise for my drill press. It will be used for some gun work as well as other small jobs. Does anyone have experience with this one- Link

Opinions on which model would be the best?

The 6" model is the one I am eyeing.

Edit- please do not say one from harbor freight would get the job done.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag as I'm needing to get one as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I would also be curious to know if there is ever really a need for a swivel base.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If milling aluminum or wood gently and at a super slow feed rate then mabye. Honestly spend 400 or so in a mini mill from grizzly or hf and you will get way better results.

Quoted:
I would also be curious to know if there is ever really a need for a swivel base.
View Quote

Depends on what you are doing, generally as in 99% of the time that's a no.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are only drilling and not milling, why wouldn't a harbor freight one work?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are only drilling and not milling, why wouldn't a harbor freight one work?
View Quote

Becasue I don't like buying junk.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stuff is mostly made in the same shit hole, qc may be a tad better but that's it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Stuff is mostly made in the same shit hole, qc may be a tad better but that's it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own some Dayton and Westward tools(the 2 vises I am looking) and their quality is on a different planet than anything harbor freight carries.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I own some Dayton and Westward tools(the 2 vises I am looking) and their quality is on a different planet than anything harbor freight carries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wilton.

Kurt.

If you are gonna spend, spend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If milling aluminum or wood gently and at a super slow feed rate then mabye. Honestly spend 400 or so in a mini mill from grizzly or hf and you will get way better results.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is going to cost you more than $400 to get into a mini mill, If I remember right Grizzly is running $645 and the HF mini, which is essentially the same mill is running about $569.00.  Plus you will have to buy some tooling, or a jig kit with the bits and mills.  That said, it is a better way to go, but I have seen a lot of lowers done real nice with a decent drill press, but they are not designed for the side loads like the mini mills.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boy I have been beating the shit out of my HF drill press for years now and it is still going strong, I believe I have had that thing for at least 10 years now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is going to cost you more than $400 to get into a mini mill, If I remember right Grizzly is running $645 and the HF mini, which is essentially the same mill is running about $569.00.  Plus you will have to buy some tooling, or a jig kit with the bits and mills.  That said, it is a better way to go, but I have seen a lot of lowers done real nice with a decent drill press, but they are not designed for the side loads like the mini mills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really interested in a mini-mill as I have access to a mill for machining lowers. I and looking for the drill press vice for other work like drilling/pinning barrels and some other around the shop chores.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a drill press and have also been looking for a good vice to use with it so....tag.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Boy I have been beating the shit out of my HF drill press for years now and it is still going strong, I believe I have had that thing for at least 10 years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's great.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#14]
We have this one from Woodcraft,  It's a cheap Chinese unit, but it's fairly solid for $40.

Linky

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's great.

Here we go again!

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hear we go again!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's great.

Hear we go again!

Here what goes again? I compliment you on having good luck with something from HF and you don't like it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's great.

Hear we go again!

Here what goes again? I compliment you on having good luck with something from HF and you don't like it?

I apologize, I thought you were being smart assed, sorry about that.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wilton.

Kurt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wilton.

Kurt.

Wilton and Kurt are far and away better, but if RC isn't going to be using them daily, they probably won't be necessary.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want the best you can't go wrong with Kurt.  I like buying the best too but I really can't justify Kurt...I do keep trying though
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Just so you know those Daytons are made in China.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not really interested in a mini-mill as I have access to a mill for machining lowers. I and looking for the drill press vice for other work like drilling/pinning barrels and some other around the shop chores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bought mine for 400 new shipped, works well. Anyway go with what you posted, just make sure the swivel base is removeable.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just so you know those Daytons are made in China.
View Quote

Fully aware of that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Check your pm box Op.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check your pm box Op.
View Quote

Responded.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bought mine for 400 new shipped, works well. Anyway go with what you posted, just make sure the swivel base is removeable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You got a good buy if you got one for $400 shipped, I looked for a long time and never saw one that low.  I ended up getting a used Grizzly and a HF mini lathe with all of the tooling, bits and mills for less than a grand.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's great.

Hear we go again!

No need to apologize. I need to work on being more articulate.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Over in the build it yourself section, we have quite a long thread going on about different things doing with mills, drill presses, tooling, vises and such, you might also post your question over there to see what the guys that are building are using, my vise for my mill was custom made by the machinist I purchased my other stuff from.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Wilton used to be a decent brand years ago. Enco is a decent company to deal with if the vise sucks.
http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/92347-11698-wilton-cross-slide-drill-press-vises.html
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I've heard good things about shars.com products. Not aerospace grade but inspected on a granite surface plate and within 2-4 thousandth for flatness across the whole surface and the same for parallelism and square. And not terribly expensive. 6.4" jaws x 5.91" max opening milling vise with removable swivel plate for $135 (or $170 for the same vise without the swivel plate ). They also offer milling tables including one with 11"x7.5" of travel.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Get an angle vise too!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Op, Dayton makes ok stuff........ but Grainger is ridiculously overpriced on pretty much everything they sell... You'll likely still have some slop in the ways with the Dayton, but it will be far better than the harbor freight shit the knuckleheads here suggest.

The one thing you should definitely be considering is the rigidity of the press's table. If it flexes and struggles to maintain it's posture under pressure, your new vise that's mounted to it isn't going to work worth a shit anyway..... so spending $400 for a vise that sit's on a $400 press, is probably not going to yield the results you are hoping for.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#32]
If you  can get a decent price on a used Kurt, do it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old ones had cast iron base plates and cast iron tables. The new ones are stamped steel crap and the chuck runout has gotten worse. I also had one of the new ones jam/lock up much faster or when drill easier things than my older one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Op, Dayton makes ok stuff........ but Grainger is ridiculously overpriced on pretty much everything they sell... You'll likely still have some slop in the ways with the Dayton, but it will be far better than the harbor freight shit the knuckleheads here suggest.

The one thing you should definitely be considering is the rigidity of the press's table. If it flexes and struggles to maintain it's posture under pressure, your new vise that's mounted to it isn't going to work worth a shit anyway..... so spending $400 for a vise that sit's on a $400 press, is probably not going to yield the results you are hoping for.

View Quote

My drill press is GTG, it's a Jet(industrial grade) floor stand model.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I would check with ZORO, pretty sure they are affiliated with Grainger and less $$$, and they have a 20% off coupon going on, and they carry Dayton.

eta:  quick search, and correct:  http://toolguyd.com/zoro-tools-grainger-company/
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since that's the case, I would definitely spend some money on a quality vise. Kurt is what you want. The Dayton is going to piss you off.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top