Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 6:21:22 AM EDT
What do you guys think of Century Arm's CETME's? Are they complete junk, or are they a good deal?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Junk.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you mind elaborating?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I've read the early ones had some problems. Century has worked out the bugs and they're suppose to be good guns now. One think I don't like about the CETME's is the sight. It's an open notch for the 100M sight, that makes it hard to get on target. Also, the one's that SOG is selling doesn't have the muzzle brake which leaves the barrel looking naked. If you can spend the extra $120 on the G3 copy that's being built. It is fully compatable with all G3/HK91 parts and has the proper peep sight and muzzle brake. JHMO, talk to ya' later.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#4]
buy a cetme becuase you want one, not as a main rifle. They will function and are good shooters. There have been problems with sights being way off and to correct headspace they have a nasty practice of actually shaving down the bolt.

look here for all the cetme info you could ever want.

[url]http://www.cetmerifles.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=c9aec9b4d075cc22dc9588093eb7ef8d[/url]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#6]
For an inexpensive gun in the G3/Cetme category you might do better spending an extra $120 and getting an Ohio Rapid Fire G3.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine runs fine, but a little drmel work was required to get the sights aligned, as well as loosen up some tight fitting areas. Being able to do the "HK bolt slap" is worth $300.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Had one for a short while, with the brake.  Using old Santa Barbara ammo, stamped 63 without a Nato crosswheel, it shot 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a frosted barrel.  Very nice, but would not ever cycle.  Not once with 60 rounds.  Now with Portugese Nato stamped stuff it cycled every time but the groups went to about 8 inches!!  The only cool things about it were flinging brass over twenty feet and that HK slap.

Traded it off on a Sig P220.  Happy ever since.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine is a decent rifle. I was picking up an FNC from my FFL and saw it. Was one of the nicer ones I'd seen so I grabbed it up. Checked out good but shot left and low like most of them. Took it to a 'smith and it is on now.
I'd probably buy an HK 91 if I had it to do over. That would be my advice if you can afford it. Might sell mine in the future and snag another FAL. I really like my SAR-48 and it shoots great. You might want to consider that as the prices on these are not too bad and mags are cheap. Hope I helped a little.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Century Arms CETME

1. Substandard receiver - The early Cast SS ones were ok and made a decent rifle but the current stamped ones are pure garbage.

2. Very retired CETME parts - Parts kits are in NRA fair to poor condition and most are from rifles with a full military service life. Useful only for scrounging a few viable parts but not for bvuilding a new gun. The early kits that were in exc. to new condition were built on the early Cast SS receiver rifles and that is why they sold for twice as much.

3. Pot Metal US Compliant Parts - Genuine crap. CAI US made 922r compliance parts are the worst I have ever seen.

4. Criminally poor assembly and finish - CAI is world reknown for one of the worst builds ever seen on any gun. The description "Built by trained monkeys" is a common one. Spray can gun finish.

The end result is a firearm that is already retired when new and a pale imitation of the original CETME with none of the reliablity and is in many cases potentially dangerous to the shooter.

A pipe bomb with a pistol grip.
View Quote

coming in at post number 10 on a cai thread. your getting slow.[:D]

mike
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Century Arms CETME

1. Substandard receiver - The early Cast SS ones were ok and made a decent rifle but the current stamped ones are pure garbage.

2. Very retired CETME parts - Parts kits are in NRA fair to poor condition and most are from rifles with a full military service life. Useful only for scrounging a few viable parts but not for bvuilding a new gun. The early kits that were in exc. to new condition were built on the early Cast SS receiver rifles and that is why they sold for twice as much.

3. Pot Metal US Compliant Parts - Genuine crap. CAI US made 922r compliance parts are the worst I have ever seen.

4. Criminally poor assembly and finish - CAI is world reknown for one of the worst builds ever seen on any gun. The description "Built by trained monkeys" is a common one. Spray can gun finish.

The end result is a firearm that is already retired when new and a pale imitation of the original CETME with none of the reliablity and is in many cases potentially dangerous to the shooter.

A pipe bomb with a pistol grip.
View Quote

coming in at post number 10 on a cai thread. your getting slow.[:D]

mike
View Quote

[lolabove]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
So, do you guys think that Century Arm's G3 copies are much better?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
The correct quote is "Built by trained Chimpanzees" and I first used it to describe a CIA-15 several years ago, around 1997.

I do like "Pipe Bomb with a pistol grip." an awful lot though!  Damn descriptive!

Pete Kokalis gave one (CIA CETME) a good review in this months Small Arms Review but I guarantee you he got a cherry picked review sample.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had not a single problem with my two CAI CETMEs.  How many PTR-1 owners can say that?

Search the web for what you need to look for on a CETME.  Take your time finding a nice one, check it out thoroughly.  They are alot of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Just say no to a CETME
And say yes to an FAL
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#18]
ask ohio rapid fire to build you one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like you've had a crappy experience with them Steyr.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had one (stamped receiver) for about one year now.  Other than the normal "sighting in" I've had no problems with it other than initial stiffness in the operation which has now gone away. 1000+ rounds have gone through it - I've had my share of fun times with it for the $298 I paid for it. Wouldn't consider it a front line gun but has been a fun plinker for the money.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's what I had to do to mine to get it to work:

1. Build up tip of cocking lever w/weld to make cocking easier.
2. Build up upper surface of mag catch w/weld & enlarge receiver cutout to seat mags higher. 3. Installed "+4" rollers.

Now she shoots 100% reliable & groups 2.5 MOA with either Australian or Hirtenberger ammo.

The downsides?
1. Stamped carbon-steel receivers not set up for scope mount (stainless ones are though).
2. Safety is ass-backwards.
3. Recoils somewhat harder than an FAL, M1A, AR10, etc.

I think I would go with paying more for a PTR-91. However, if you must go cheap consider the cast stainless steel receiver & inspect as follows:
1. Unground bolt.
2. Mags seat properly in relation to bolt.
3. Easy to cock.
4. Check sights by bore-sighting.

A $300 rifle & $5 mags is seriously tempting (ss receiver more like $400). From someone who's "been there, done that", they can be safe & reliable, but you're definitely taking a gamble, and maybe need to do a little home gunsmithing. Your call.

As for mine? I'm still undecided. I may rework & reverse the safety, keep it, & shoot the hell out of it. Or I may trade it for a PTR-91 someday. The roller-locked system is kinda growing on me. No gas system to clean...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought one back in july, and allthough I do share some of Steyr's thoughts about CAI, I would still buy another one only if I could peronally pick through the available ones to choose my shooter.  Frankly some work and some don't.  On The_Beer_Slayer's CETME, he has no problem using CETME mags.  On mine I have to use G3 mags and modify the mag so the catch will latch.  Overall it is a gamble and if you feel lucky, roll the dice.
the best part about it though is hearing Bookhound and The_reject yellin "Delta you sonavabitch, warn me when you're loading that gun!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top