Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 2:20:12 PM EDT
Hey friends,

I hope that this is not a dupe since things move so fast around here. I got it from Harmony Central. Here's a link: 93x.com/blog.asp?id=356562&SBID=4444

February 23, 2007
Members of LED ZEPPELIN, VAN HALEN, file copyright infringement aginst Colorado business

Several famous musicians are suing a local business owner for copyright infringement for allowing cover bands to play their songs without permission.

Van Halen Music Company, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Patricia Bonham are all named as plaintiffs in a lawsuit alleging that Vail business owner Steven Kovacik allowed public performances of their songs at 8150, the lawsuit says.

Kovacik, owner of 8150, said he would not comment on the lawsuit. The lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Colorado, names Kovacik and a company named Big Snow Ball LLC as defendants.

The plaintiffs alleged 10 counts of copyright infringement because the defendants allowed bands to play 10 copyrighted songs on Jan. 15 and 16 at 815, the lawsuit says. The plaintiffs are suing for as little as $750 per song and as much as $30,000 per song, plus attorneys' fees, according to court documents.

Source: Blabbermouth.net

posted by The Swartz on 2/23/2007 10:13:39 AM

I'm astounded. Page is the single greatest thief in modern music. He straight up stole from Bert Jansch, Leadbelly, Memphis Minnie, Johnson, Howlin Wolf, Albert King, Martin Carthy, Blind Willie Johnson, Williamson, Baez, Muddy Waters, Otis Rush, and on and on. He did not attribute most of these artists with their tunes.

Of course, I obviously love Page. He is one of the greats, IMHO. But, this just reaks. I don't know much about EVH, other than I respect him for his immense contribution to the instrument. If someone is playing the first few EVH records, I enjoy it. But, I don't know enough about him to say he is as guilty as Page.

Regardless, I think that this lawsuit is going way to far. There have always been cover bands, and there should be. From Jazz standards, bluesgrass and folk traditionals, to rock, folks play music for the enjoyment of people. I truly doubt that Zeppelin gave much to anyone they stole from. Now they, or EVH are going for $30,000 a tune in some cases? This reminds me of the scum in Metallica, who sued their fans for stealing, years after they spoke at length about all they would trade up tons of music with their friends when they were young cause the could only afford one copy - Venom, etc. (yes, I am a child of the 80's and remember Kill 'em all as the classic it was)

Since I play music, I do know of 2 cover bands in my area who play large gatherings, etc., and I believe that they take in over $500, 000 a year. Yes, they should shell out, but I think that this lawsuit applies to those who are not "cover" bands, per se, but enthusiasts and folks just playing in bars. These guys make 50 bucks a piece.

If I was a stronger man I would throw out the Zeppelin records, but I'm weak and pathetic and love Presence and 3. What are your opinions on this?

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad I quit the whole playing in a band thing.  Are these "tribute" bands or did some poor schmuck band just happen to play some Zep and VH songs?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a huge Van Halen fan. Eddie is the one who inspired me to play guitar. But I've lost pretty much all respect for him in the last few years. All he is now is a drunk ego maniac looking to sell out his fans to make a buck. Just look at his new line of "replica" guitars. The retail on them is like 20,000-30,000 dollars. Jimmy Page and the rest of them are all has beens. They should be honored that there music is still being played and cherished today. This is really pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
So we should stop playing "Whole Lotta Love" and "Eruption/You Really Got Me"?

Although, "You Really Got Me" is a Kinks song, that's not the way I play the solo...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Although, "You Really Got Me" is a Kinks song, that's not the way I play the solo...

And "Whole Lotta Love", is  Willie Dixon tune...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
So isn't this what "Fake Books" are for?    Maybe they don't work, or I don't understand.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And "Whole Lotta Love", is  Willie Dixon tune...

touche
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I just lost respect for both of those bands(or those who are left).

The fact that people play those songs for others so many years after they were written and recorded shows that even to this day, Page and EVH are revered and loved. It shows that their influence is felt to this day-even to a bunch of guys who just play for fun.

This is pure greed. Yes, it is technically infringement-howeve, we are talking about a bunch of people who have sold millions of albums and have had multiple HUGE tours. Unless they squandered it, these people have BIG money..BIG BIG money.

These guys should just lean back and be stoked that people want to play their songs and emulate their heros.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe they were lip-synching...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I bet there is more here that we do not know.

as you already know, cover bands are not something new.

I'm thinking someone profited greatly and snubbed LZ & VH and this is a retalitiory strike.

<> I'll hold out for more info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top