Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 10:22:58 PM EDT
The jury was right. She's probabley getting what she deserves.

muahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
This means she'll be going to prison, correct?

Having only heard what the media chose to air, I can't voice an informed opinion on it.  My uninformed opinion is that she was seriously mentally disturbed at the time and should not have been convicted of a crime.  She didn't appear to be a danger to anyone else.  Commitment to an insane asylum until she is old enough to no longer able to have children would have been more appropriate, IMUO.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#2]
But, but, the NOW group says "This was not the verdict we were hoping for.".

Huh?

Oh, that's right.  She made a "choice" to kill her children...  Her's just made the mistake of getting born first.[IMG]http://216.40.198.77/mysmilies/s/contrib/corky/smilies23.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://216.40.198.77/mysmilies/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Yates stated herself that she had thought of harming her children several times before.

Yet she chose not to. Do ya think maybe somewhere deep down she knew it was wrong?

Mentally unstable, disturbed, ill, call it what you want. She demonstrated by her own admission a knowledge that to act on her impulses was wrong in choosing to not to so many times before she finally did. Drown her!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to worry, I am sure there is someone out there who would be willing to hold her under long enough to drown the witch. I think I could live with myself.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 2:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This means she'll be going to prison, correct?

Having only heard what the media chose to air, I can't voice an informed opinion on it.  My uninformed opinion is that she was seriously mentally disturbed at the time and should not have been convicted of a crime.  She didn't appear to be a danger to anyone else.  Commitment to an insane asylum until she is old enough to no longer able to have children would have been more appropriate, IMUO.
View Quote

Nope, she admitted that she knew killing her children was wrong. That is why she called her husband and the police after she was done, she knew she had done something wrong. If you knew it was wrong and you did it anyway then you're guilty in Texas.

I'd be very surprised if she doesn't get the death penalty. Especially since the jury only deliberated 3 hours and 40 minutes over a 4 week trial to come up with a verdict.

The moral of the story is, don't do stupid shit in Texas because we aren't afraid to kill you. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
If you knew it was wrong and you did it anyway then you're guilty in Texas.
View Quote

I'd say that would make you guilty anywhere,but that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
OJ was wrong, knew it, and got off. Gotta love it!!

Just felt argumentative for a sec. pardon me.

Her mental state will have more effect on the sentencing than it did on the trial itself. My original position stands.

Ponyboy stated the moral of this little tale very well IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]
A nice toasty Yates sounds good to me. Fry her!
Regardless of whether she knew it was wrong or not, it WAS wrong, and she must suffer the consequences.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#10]
She knew what she was doing.....and I agreed with the verdict.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#11]
we don't fry them here in Texas.
we inject them!!
we have only been told what the media wants us to hear.  
The jury on the other hand got to hear all the evidence and make an informed decision.

I’m locked and loaded waiting for the soccer mom riots.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The testimony and evidence proved that she knew her actions to be wrong, so by the legal definition she could not plead "insanity".

I doubt that there will be any riots, as the sheer horror of this case sickens everyone - even her defenders.  For instance, her defenders argue that the heinous nature of her acts only proves her insanity.  No one is defending her actions.  I believe that her defenders (i.e. those who strongly argue that she is insane) are simply seeking a REASON to explain her actions.

It really is a strange case.

How do you think her husband fits into the whole picture?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Did anyone hear her lawyer comparing the Texas legal system to the Salem Witch Trials???

He said something like her trial was the equavalent of "taking a demonized woman and burning her at the stake."

Actually, I think we should have a nice humane execution for her.

Burning at the stake should be reserved for lawyers who say stupid stuff in front of TV cameras.

[}:D]  
[flame]
[pyro]
[chainsawkill]

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Yesterday on Fox News they showed the closing arguments.  The prosecutor was damn good and made very good observations about her state of mental illness.

1. The psychiatrists that said she was insane and testified for the defense were both shown on national TV before the trial and before ever meeting her saying she was insane.  The prosecutor made the argument that "of course they were going to testify that she was insane, they had already committed themselves to a diagnosis and wouldn't want to ruin their credibility."

2. After drowning her children, which she only did after waiting for her husband to leave for work and after admittingly planning it the night before, Andrea Yates calls 911 and says she killed her children.  Why? Because she knew what she had done was wrong.

3. After being arrested she had several different reasons for why she did it including that she was told by God to kill one of the children to free them all from going to hell.  Instead she kills all of them when only one would have done the job. Her story has more holes than swiss cheese.

Anyway, I am tired of NOW and all of these other bullsh*t organizations that are crying out for her and saying that this verdict is a persecution not a prosecution.  If this had been a man killing his children these same organizations would be frothing at the bit to condemn him to death.  They are more anti-man than they are pro-woman and this is just another attempt to ignite a cause for women.  I believe in equal treatment for men and women, NOW doesn't, they believe in quotas and preferential treatment for women.  Well, I have written enough for now. I don't care whether they kill her or lock her away for life, Andrea Yates does ot deserve to be a member of our society.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:48:28 AM EDT
[#15]
She drowned all of her children.
She's an evil monster.
She should be caged or killed.
Period.

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I think her husband's an accomplice.

Anybody who continually gets his borderline psychotic wife pregnant against the advise of doctors, shares some of the responsibilty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Anybody who continually gets his borderline psychotic wife pregnant against the advise of doctors, shares some of the responsibilty.
View Quote

And then leaves 5 innocent kids who depend on their parents for everything alone with the psycobitch... What a betrayal of their trust, from BOTH parents. A true shame.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

And then leaves 5 innocent kids who depend on their parents for everything alone with the psycobitch... What a betrayal of their trust, from BOTH parents. A true shame.
View Quote

I felt sorry for him, he may or may not be part of the blame, but he lost everything......A beautiful family. Now we all know that dad had to be at work to bring in the bacon, mom had to be home with the children.  I had this discussion with my wife, and I told her that anytime she felt that the kids drive her insane or that she can't handle it any more, she should give me a call at work and walk away from the children. I will be home to pick up the children and that we will find a way to take care of them. There is no need to harm anyone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I feel real sorry for the husband and all remotely normal people.

It seems like the "I'm not responsible fro what I did" movement has predictable supporters: the perps!

If she didn't know right from wrong, she would have gone blindly careening through the world disobeying all rational rules, robbing banks, driving on the left side of the road, trying to kill anybody she met.  Instead, she picked on the little ones who are now angels.

I'm glad this happened in TX, vs. Maryland, for example.  I hope you guys still have the chair as an option.  I know that as a kid, it scared the shit out of me.  

Her attorney forgot one part in his sound bite:  the fact that she killed innocent little kids.  Salem, my ass!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's hope they decide to make it and even number...She will make #8 for women on death row.[X][BD][xx(]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#21]

I remember seeing on the news that it was unsual for the jury to come back so quick with a decision. ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!! I am surprised they went into deliberation at all. But I guess some needed to use the bathroom, get a coke and a pack of crackers before going back in to the courtroom.

If I were on the jury. I would have simply looked at the other jurors and dragged my finger across my throat. I am sure they would all do the same in response......Brutal comments I know but it would expediate the process if allowed in court.

I don't care if she is certifiablly crazy. The ultimate crime deserves the ultimate punishment.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I think to give her the death penalty, they would need to determine that she was an ongoing threat to society.  I doubt that they can come to that conclusion.  I expect she'll get life.

Is she nuts?  Yes.  Did she know what she was doing anyway?  Yes.  The verdict was correct.  I also believe that fruitcake Rusty should be locked away with her.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#24]

UUHHHH....Who is Rusty?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top