Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 10:27:29 AM EDT
For those interested Opera is offering their browser the no-add version they normally charge for free today 8/30 only.

Link below:

http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
For those interested Opera is offering their browser the no-add version they normally charge for free today 8/30 only.

Link below:

Thanks for the link...

It's timing out for me but I will keep hitting it...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link below:

Thanks for the link...

They are getting hit hard right now due to the give away, but keep trying it took me a couple of attempts but I got through.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link below:

Thanks for the link...

They are getting hit hard right now due to the give away, but keep trying it took me a couple of attempts but I got through.

Got the key...
Thank you again
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it's on Slashdot, the server is probably smoking...

Jim
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it any good. Is it a hippie browser?

It has a on it and most mac cultists try to proselytise the browser as a messiah. Is it really good?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I am using Mozilla Firefox and it works on 90% of the stuff I have to do!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am using Mozilla Firefox and it works on 90% of the stuff I have to do!

BigDozer66

I am on FF too and it works for 98% for me. (just some.gov and microsoft dont work) I hope Opera is as compatible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is it any good. Is it a hippie browser?

It has a on it and most mac cultists try to proselytise the browser as a messiah. Is it really good?

Meh... It's not bad.

I'm a firefox adblock junky. Opera no gottie.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]
WTF is Opera, and why switch now?  FF works.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#10]
news.zdnet.com/Microsoft+investigates+another+IE+flaw+report/2100-1009_22-5844431.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnn

Seemed like a good place to post this link... For those of y'all still using IE>
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool - got straight thru.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been using Opera for free for over a year now, and yes it is better than IE.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I was just thinking.

they had a browser that is ad supported???

Just that very fact tells me me they are a crappy lot to deal with from the get go.

Deleting the download right now. Ugh I feel dirty. Screw them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Just got it, both the DL and website went very fast for me.

It's a nice browser (after disabling the ad bar at the top.), but coming from a Mozilla junkie, the interface feels weird. I'll keep it on my laptop and mess around with it some more, but I have a feeling I'll just go back to Firefox after a while.

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just got it, both the DL and website went very fast for me.

It's a nice browser (after disabling the ad bar at the top.), but coming from a Mozilla junkie, the interface feels weird. I'll keep it on my laptop and mess around with it some more, but I have a feeling I'll just go back to Firefox after a while.

Thanks for the link.

It has an ad bar? That should tell you everything you need to know about Opera. Yeah you can disable it, but why even have it in the frst place.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Because it's not a free browser.  To get rid of the ad bar you have to pay to register.

I love Opera, have been using it since version 2.0.  Tried Firefox and wasn't impressed enough to switch.  You can easily block pop-ups and plugin-based ads.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because it's not a free browser.  To get rid of the ad bar you have to pay to register.

I love Opera, have been using it since version 2.0.  Tried Firefox and wasn't impressed enough to switch.  You can easily block pop-ups and plugin-based ads.

They're giving it away, with a registration code.  You enter the registration code, and the ad-bar goes away.  You DON'T have to pay for it today (8/30/2005).

I'm still waiting on my code via email.  How long does it usually take?

I never had to wait for an e-mail. I put in my e-mail address, hit "submit" (or whatever), and it sent me to a web page with registration codes for windows, mac, linux, etc.

Open the browser, enter the code, and no more bar.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for the link. I have always liked Opera but was turned off by the ads.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
worth a try for one day, thanks for the link
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it but my Yahoo DSL home page does not support it .... Tried to log onto my home page and got a message stateing I needed Netscape or IE6
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I like it but my Yahoo DSL home page does not support it .... Tried to log onto my home page and got a message stateing I needed Netscape or IE6

Easy fix, I think: hit <F12> and pick "Identify as MSIE 6"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've been using Opera for free for over a year now, and yes it is better than IE.....

A text-based browser like Lynx is far superior to IE, let alone Opera.

Opera is great though, I allready paid for my version, well worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top