Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2008 5:03:40 AM EDT
A motor Officer friend of mine found this and forwarded it to me.  Spot-on!

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Allow me to introduced myself. I am a police officer. More importantly to this post, I am a police officer who is sick and damned tired of dealing with certain things on a day to day basis:

1) Contrary to what you might think, I am not an idiot. That ring on my finger is a BA from Texas Tech. My GPA was a 3.71 and I was in fact the president of my frat (which means I got a lot of stories that start out "So, this one time, we were fucked up, and...). So, when I make the mistake of mispronouncing your name (the last name with 17 fucking letters, only two of which are vowels), dont give me that look like I just kicked your puppy.

While I may not be an idiot, I am human and I do fuck things up from time to time. When I apologize for pulling you over because I thought your tags were out, just take the sorry and be on about your way. DO NOT get a high and mighty attitude. Our state has over 5000 traffic laws, I can find one to help you get over your tude.

2) No, I do not have "real criminals" I should be out looking for. Did you happen to notice the fucking Harley parked behind you with LED's blinking? Lemme give you a hint - if you see a motorcycle officer, our entire job relates to asshole drivers. Asshole drivers are the ones who make your daily commute dangerous (Or, a complete standstill, once they wreck out). With that in mind, shut up about the other "important" things I "should be doing." Believe it or not, I tried to get this job. Dont act like you wouldnt like to get paid to ride a Harley for 8 hours a day. But, the main benefit of this job, is I dont have "Real criminals" to fuck with. No shagging calls, dealing with domestics, and so on. My worst days are telling someone they lost a loved one in a wreck I just worked. Which, brings me to my next point:

3) If I was a dick from the beginning of the stop, I apologize. I mean that with all sincerity. I am human. If I've dealt with 10 assholes before I stopped you or maybe delivered a death notification, I may have done the wrong thing and assumed you were gonna be one too. Believe it or not, after my shift on the way home, I'll probably reflect on my day and feel a bit shitty if our interaction stands out because I was a jerk. Yours wouldnt be the first citation I've "lost" because I thought I was being an overbearing prick at the time I wrote it. We all have our bad days.

4) No good deed goes unpunished. I know that. But, if I give you a warning - DO NOT assume I pulled you over for a bullshit reason and then lost my nerve. Just because I didnt write you for 7 over the limit, doesnt mean I was profiling and you should set up a meeting with my Chief and your NAACP rep. You complaining that "He stopped me for nothin, oterwise he'd have given me a ticket," is bullshit and, frankly, is the reason most of us have stopped giving warnings.

Profiling is BULLSHIT, by the way. You're hauling ass past me at 70+ mph. I have to see your speed, if you have a front license plate, registration sticker, inspection sticker and if you're wearing a seatbelt in the split second you pass me. I couldnt give two shits if your black white or green.

5) No, you may not see my RADAR gun. For a few reasons. First, I dont have to show it to you. You bestfriend's roommate's boyfriend who talked to a cop once is fucking wrong. I dont have to show it to you, I dont care what you heard. Second, I dont want to show it to you, because I dont want you out of your car. Why? You may not know that you're not gonna attack me, but I dont know that. If you're seated, you're less of a threat and I like feeling as comfy as I can. Also, I dont have a RADAR anymore. I have LIDAR. If you're gonna act like a lawyer on the side of the road, get your shit squared away first and know what you're talking about. Finally, you cant see the LIDAR for your own safety. You feel that way your car rocks every time an 18 wheeler flys by? I'd rather not get sued becuase your stupid ass fell into traffic and got killed on my stop.

While I'm on my good pal LIDAR, it has some neat features. It's a laser beamed device, so - no, I couldnt have gotten the guy next to you. It's got a scope on it, and the scope's dot was aimed directly at your car's grill. Also, it tells me the distance in feet that i clocked you at. So, dont tell me, I couldnt have gotten you from that far, because I can. Its accurate to 2500 feet (half a mile or so), and I can clock you, get two swigs of coffee and eat three donut holes by the time you get close enough to see my motorcycle on the shoulder.

6) Arguements take place in court, not on the side of the road. No exceptions. And, yes, I will show up to court. Even on my day off. I get paid (by you, thanks for reminding me) OT to show up to court, and I'm trying to con my wife into letting me buy a new boat, so I need that money. Now, once we get to court, follow a few easy rules:

Dont lie. My bike has a video camera on it, and that box on my belt is a mic. The camera is hooked into my fixed 4 way RADAR, so it shows your speed (if I didnt clock you with a LIDAR unit, that is). Oh, and judges dont like all those cuss words you used out at the scene...

Dont yell at me outside the court room. This is not a personal matter to me, even if it is for you. After this, Im going home and watching my Texas Rangers fuck up another promising season. You will be the furthest thing from my mind.

Guys and gals, we are the same as you. We've got a home life that might suck, bills to pay, college loans, the damned team that never wins (Tech losing in the first fuckin round! Damn you Bobby Knight), and so on. We have feelings, personalities, and dreams just like you. When Im at your window, look at my face. You met a hundred guys like me in college, and loved em. I was that guy a few years ago, and not much has changed. Im still a nice guy, treat me like one and you might just get a warning.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 5:52:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 5:54:32 AM EDT by Bowhntr6pt]
So true...

Yesterday, while training a new deputy, we stopped a vehicle for following too close.  Radar had the lead vehicle at 41 MPH in a 35 MPH zone (no issue there, only 6 over...big whoop) but the second vehicle was about 1 car length behind.  The following car was REALLY REALLY close so I initiated a traffic stop.

I let the trainee approach and make contact... the driver took it all down hill fast.

I wrote out a WARNING ticket and walked back to the violator to take over as primary in order to calm the driver down and hopefully set a good example for my trainee.

Well, as I tried to explain the reason for the stop and the fact I was only writing a warning, the driver continued to deny following too close as well as the speed both vehicles were going.

I told the driver that his attitude has demonstrated to me his unwillingness to realize the error of his ways thus I would not be issuing a warning, I am going back to my vehicle to prepare a normal Traffic Citation.

When I got back to my car, I realized that I was kind of pissed, and many on here know I NEVER write a citation out of anger and I train ALL new deputies with that philosophy.  So I paused, and reproached the violator WITH OUT my trainee.

I immediately informed the driver that I left the trainee back at my vehicle for a reason.. I then told him that I am just trying to train a new deputy on how to enforce traffic laws, talk to citizens, and educate the motoring public on the dangers of poor driving.  I then told him that he has made these goals very difficult.  By now I could see his attitude change.  I SWARE, HIS EYES GOT WET... I think he was about to start crying...

After I told him why we do what we do, he apologized multiple times for his conduct blaming past officers for his defensiveness.  I think that when it was all said and done, I accomplished what I set out to do:

1.  I educated a driver on the importance of paying attention to their driving AT ALL TIMES without taking their money.  Imagine that, I did not want the $$$ from the ticket.

2.  I showed a potential anti-LEO citizen that we are human, and not all of us are assholes.  What?... you mean I did not try to get "the last word"?

3.  I demonstrated to a new deputy how important it is to not take things personal in this job and sometimes taking the "high road" requires discipline and patience.  Wait a minute, you mean I did not show the new guy how to "put people in their place"?

The new deputy visits this site and if he reads this, he can chime in...
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:24:15 AM EDT
fair enough, but let me say if I get pulled over for speeding and the deputy tells me to surrender my legally carried firearm because ya'll "don't feel comfortable" with me having it while you run my license, It ain't gonna happen again.

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:36:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 6:40:41 AM EDT by AROKIE]

Originally Posted By Shooter62:
fair enough, but let me say if I get pulled over for speeding and the deputy tells me to surrender my legally carried firearm because ya'll "don't feel comfortable" with me having it while you run my license, It ain't gonna happen again.

while I can understand your concern, and yes it would be wrong for an officer to ask you that, under some circumstances. he can do so if he so pleases.. and trust me, if he wants your gun he will get it.

I know alot of folks here are gonna bitch and moan and piss there panties that i said that. Even if that officer is wrong for doing so, and yes officers do get shit wrong. he will get your gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:02:13 AM EDT

Ok.  Good luck with that.

When you do that, post an AAR....if you make it.

And Darwin claims another "victim".

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:10:41 AM EDT
pretty simple. "do you have a concealed weapon in you car?"  No sir

"may I look in your vehicle?"  Not unless you have a search warrant.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:11:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Ok.  Good luck with that.

When you do that, post an AAR....if you make it.

And Darwin claims another "victim".

exactly my thoughts, I would like to see someone say "officer Im not going to give you my gun", does he acutally think thats not going to end well? does anyone think thats would end well? Im not arguing right or wrong here, but I guarentee you any one who thinks that an officer will not get your gun off of you one way or another then that person is wrong, DEAD wrong.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:13:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 7:15:03 AM EDT by AROKIE]

he will know if you hand him your ccw card.  are you not going to tell the officer you are legally carrying? or will you hide that fact and take your chances?

so lets say he knows you got a gun, you actually gonna say "no officer you cannot have my gun"?

and if that officer thinks there maybe a firearm in your car,he can search it and will.

and again that wont end well for you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:21:19 AM EDT
I don't normally take weapons from people on traffic stops.  However, if I feel a little bit concerned about the person who I have stopped, then I won't hesitate to.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:22:28 AM EDT
I don't get how you guys figure my 2nd amendment rights are null and void because a traffic cop says he feels uncomfortable about me having it.

That attitude is what makes me dislike cops, This is still a free country. Just because cops think they should have total control over citizens doesn't make it so.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:31:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 7:32:27 AM EDT by Bowhntr6pt]

I don't get how you guys figure my 2nd amendment rights are null and void because a traffic cop says he feels uncomfortable about me having it.

That attitude is what makes me dislike cops, This is still a free country. Just because cops think they should have total control over citizens doesn't make it so.

Cops did not make the law... we simple operate within in.  The SCOTUS has ruled that a law enforcement office may seize any weapons for safety during the course of a traffic stop if he/she feels it necessary.

Your bitch is with the SCOTUS, not us cops.

Is there anything about what I typed that you don't understand?  No... good, stop making it sound like COPS are the ones who WANT to take your gun.  Look... you KNOW who the fuck we are... we have not a clue as to who you are.  "Normal" folks shoot at and kill cops just as frequently as odd balls.

When I stop a person, if they don't want to tell me they have a gun, I could give a shit less.  I have posted on this site for YEARS that I totally support the lawfully armed citizen.  I have NEVER disarmed a citizen roadside that DID NOT end up in jail.  Most, if not all, the cops I work with feel the same way and conduct their business as I do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:39:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 8:05:03 AM EDT by AROKIE]

Did anyone here say your rights are null and void??? did anyone say you cant own a gun?

this has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment.  your 2nd amendment rights are not being violated if an officer takes control of your firearm during  a traffic stop.

a law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the weapon during interaction with the individual to ensure safety of the officer and others. The police officer will return the pistol at the end of the stop unless the individual is being charged with a violation of the act or any other law that allows for the weapon to be seized.

dislike officers all you want, that wont change the fact that what you said you will do will get you in deeper shit than you want. thats the facts. if you cant swallow that then I dont know what to tell you. go back and read my posts again. your mind set is already clouded by the fact you dont like officers and the postion of authority they hold. It has nothing to do with wanting to have "total control" over citizens, officers are citizens too. and for one you dont fully understand what the 2nd amendment covers anyways, thas obvious. there is laws that protect officers during a traffic stop. So please take the time and research and read up on the 2nd amendment. that way next time you will actually know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:44:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 7:45:13 AM EDT by viktor]

Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
Your bitch is with the SCOTUS, not us cops.

This is the winner. +1 including "dui checkpoints", no-knocks, imminent domain, and several other rulings..... but guess what? The decision has been made by the high court. Live with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 8:05:02 AM EDT

I'll take that bet.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 8:10:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 8:12:35 AM EDT by NorCal_LEO]
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 8:55:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 8:56:12 AM EDT by PoopyPants603]

You is what makes me dislike you.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 9:15:54 AM EDT
Civie here- Attitude attitude how true.

I have had one traffic stop in all my years driving just last year.

I started talking to the officer before he could start.

Me: Officer, before we start I would like to tell you that I have a CHL and the gun is in my fanny pack beside me.

Officer: Thank you. Where is your license?

Me: In my bill fold.

Officer: please step to the back of the truck and we can talk about why I pulled you over.

Nice easy stop with an officer doing his job. He gave me a warning stating that it was because I told him about my chl before he asked. He said at most stops people say 'Oh by the way...' and i was his first to start out with 'I have a chl'.

Stop went well and we turned out to be both hunters. Ended up talking hunting longer then the ticket info(slow day I guess) but it was a plessent meeting.

I just can't see how the officers put up with so much bs. Y'all have my respect.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 12:05:06 PM EDT

ATTN: THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 1:15:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 1:15:20 PM EDT by PoopyPants603]

Originally Posted By Peengwin:

ATTN: THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS

BOLO: Big mouth posing as a manly man.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 2:26:35 PM EDT
been pulled over twice while carrying...told them (not required to, but no one likes surprises that involve firearms) that i was....one guy asked what i had and got excited and talked to me about 1911's....the other guy said "thanks, i don't want to see it..leave it where it is"....two warnings and no problems...
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:22:13 PM EDT

I'm not sure how they do it in TN but in MI, but normally when we pull people over it shows up you are a CCW holder. If you do not adress so, that is a fine and your CCW gets revoked. Always let the officer know. If you're legally carrying then what is there to hide? Only time an officer might take your weapon is for his safety given the circumstances. Just my 2 cents  
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2008 6:27:54 PM EDT by Ratliff60]

Originally Posted By PoopyPants603:

Wasn't aware the 2nd amendment grants you the power to run around with a gun. The option to carry is a RIGHT therfore like other RIGHTS, can be taken away. I'm not sure its about "total control" more than it is safety.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:39:04 PM EDT

While you're researching SCOTUS decisions, check out US v. Carroll, 1925.

I don't need a search warrant.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 10:24:59 PM EDT

Let us know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 10:46:00 PM EDT
All the cops I've ever interacted with have been courteous and professional, and I've tried to show the same attitude right back to them. Amazing how nice those "cops" can be when you treat them as just another person doing their job and give them the same level of respect you'd give anybody else. Some of you guys should try it.

One note though: Don't disarm me when I've stopped as a witness to an accident and was not otherwise involved. Even if you do it politely, you suck if you do that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 1:07:16 AM EDT

Not for you to dictate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 8:56:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2008 8:56:48 AM EDT by PoopyPants603]

Originally Posted By Frost7:
All the cops I've ever interacted with have been courteous and professional, and I've tried to show the same attitude right back to them. Amazing how nice those "cops" can be when you treat them as just another person doing their job and give them the same level of respect you'd give anybody else. Some of you guys should try it.

One note though: Don't disarm me when I've stopped as a witness to an accident and was not otherwise involved. Even if you do it politely, you suck if you do that.

I may have to disarm you if you're stopped because you fit a suspects discription.  Untill I can determine you're not the rapist, or bank robber, or any other form of criminal YOU WILL be disarmed. You suck if you cant understand this.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 9:39:17 AM EDT
Shooter62:  First off carrying a weapon is a right, driving on a highway is not! That sir, is a priviledge and if you choose to do so you play by the rules of those who enforce the laws on the highway! In Tennessee when we run your driver's license ant dispatch also informs us that you have a carry permit(it's info is tied to your DL) and you failed to inform us at first contact as state law requires you will experirnce a thing called "felony Takedown" The friendly officer should inform you from about 20 yards away to exit your vehicle and lie face down in the street, arms out, palms up. If hes smart he also alo is already pointing his M4 or shotgun at you. I'm pretty sure he won't care how you feel about this. Only about his safety. If you don't like this move elsewhere that is the law here and its to protect us from assholes like you!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 9:39:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2008 9:41:04 AM EDT by bodybagger]
Sorry doubled on that one!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 10:45:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2008 10:47:04 AM EDT by Frost7]

Originally Posted By Frost7:

I may have to disarm you if you're stopped because you fit a suspects discription.  Untill I can determine you're not the rapist, or bank robber, or any other form of criminal YOU WILL be disarmed. You suck if you cant understand this.  

Heh, that I would understand. Cop that did it though had the reason of "I like to be the only one with a gun. "

His buddy, who was on the scene first, didn't have a problem with me the 15 minutes I was there, in which I was maybe two feet from him the entire time. Not bitter about it. Just thought it had no point.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 10:59:21 AM EDT

Put yourself in their shoes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:13:53 AM EDT
I got pulled over a couple nights ago. I was coming back form picking the wife up from work, and did not bring my holster with me, so I just put the gun in the seatback pocket as I had no plans to exit the vehicle between stops. Highway Patrol pulled me over, and I immediately go into the "oh shit/pucker factor" mode...I swear, it is almost Pavlovian how those blue flashing lights do that...anyway, he walked up and before I could say anything, tells me that my license plate light is out and I need to get it fixed, asks to see my DL, shines the light on it, wishes me a good night and walks away. I did not even have a chance to say "I have a CCW..."
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:13:44 PM EDT
I guess shooter62 got the hint that he was wrong on this one, maybe we saved him alot of heartache next time he gets pulled over and wants to get an attitude
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:16:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kitulu:
I got pulled over a couple nights ago. I was coming back form picking the wife up from work, and did not bring my holster with me, so I just put the gun in the seatback pocket as I had no plans to exit the vehicle between stops. Highway Patrol pulled me over, and I immediately go into the "oh shit/pucker factor" mode...I swear, it is almost Pavlovian how those blue flashing lights do that...anyway, he walked up and before I could say anything, tells me that my license plate light is out and I need to get it fixed, asks to see my DL, shines the light on it, wishes me a good night and walks away. I did not even have a chance to say "I have a CCW..."

Not the  license plate light out stop........How late was it? He was checking to see if you had been to Happy Hour!! Not very good PC, and he may get the runaround in court about it, if it goes that far. We dont do that one or the objects hanging from the rear view mirror.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:29:18 PM EDT

Good luck with that one. No really, post back and let us know how that one works out. Just don't try it on a hot day. The asphalt might stick to your clothes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:29:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mtmag:

Not the  license plate light out stop........How late was it? He was checking to see if you had been to Happy Hour!! Not very good PC, and he may get the runaround in court about it, if it goes that far. We dont do that one or the objects hanging from the rear view mirror.

Ive never lost a tag light case...not once.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:37:47 PM EDT

Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:42:10 PM EDT

Not the  license plate light out stop........How late was it? He was checking to see if you had been to Happy Hour!! Not very good PC, and he may get the runaround in court about it, if it goes that far. We don't do that one or the objects hanging from the rear view mirror.

I've never lost a tag light case...not once.

That's because you are not Profiling
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:49:30 PM EDT

It's a violation of the law here in NC to not have a white light illuminating the plate.  I've never had any problems with it holding up in court, even when it was the pretext to a pretty sizable cocaine bust.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:56:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:

Not the  license plate light out stop........How late was it? He was checking to see if you had been to Happy Hour!! Not very good PC, and he may get the runaround in court about it, if it goes that far. We don't do that one or the objects hanging from the rear view mirror.
It's a violation of the law here in NC to not have a white light illuminating the plate.  I've never had any problems with it holding up in court, even when it was the pretext to a pretty sizable cocaine bust.

Its a violation for sure, Just small town justice the feedback to the Sheriff is bad. after a few DUI arrests, and the PC was a  licence plate light, It was mentioned that We might want to look for a better reason to stop?  Everybody knows the Sheriff we have right now, and Bitch about everything....

Link Posted: 8/26/2008 4:58:37 PM EDT
I write very few citations, less than 10% of traffic stops.    But..............attitude is everything.   Yes, you have a taillight/headlight out. Yes, you did roll through that stop sign. Your car may idle that fast in gear downhill, that's why you have a brake. No, I don't have a quota. No, the city doesn't get the money. Learn the difference between a warning and a ticket because with your driving habits I'm sure I'll see you again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 6:33:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AROKIE:
I guess shooter62 got the hint that he was wrong on this one, maybe we saved him alot of heartache next time he gets pulled over and wants to get an attitude

it's been an education. Especially being called an asshole etc. for no real reason.
   I had no idea the cops had the right to do that. It had never happened before.
I've had my carry permit since they became legal in TN. and have ,unfortunately , been pulled over 7-8 times since then. I've talked guns and bikes as well as other things with cops. Always told them I had a permit as well as a gun and it was never a problem before this time.  I usually stick both hands out the window when I get pulled over.
I figure they have enough to worry about. Even with this particular cop I was absolutely respectful and fully complied with out hesitation. It's one of those things that the more I thought about it after the fact the more I felt like my rights had been violated. Going strictly by the 2nd amendment (shall not be infringed) I thought I had been wronged.
  I appreciate what cops do, but when I run across one that has the attitude that they are a higher life form or something, it ticks me off. Do I get mouthy NO, Do I resist NO.
 I'm old enough to know better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2008 11:40:13 PM EDT by Snowleopard]
It's interesting how one particular aspect, not even covered in the initial post, occupies this topic so much. Though I have noticed one particular thing on the net when it comes to the Constitution. People know the US Constitution when they cite it ........ what they don't know is the 200+ years of case law that goes with it or about incorporation. For example, every few weeks I have to educate people of the proportionality clause of the 8th amendment when, say, they are calling for the execution of a child molester. Leaving out the details of the case law, that clause says that unless the person has killed somebody, you can't execute them. That clause prevents "unusual punishment" such as, back in the old days, hanging someone for stealing bread.

People know the Constitution of the United States for what they learned in elementary school. What they don't know is what goes with it or the Constitution, usually, of their own state.

But it does bring an interesting question to mind. If an officer on a traffic stop wants me to hand over my side arm, well, that's the law, isn't it, and I will obey the law. But normally, when I am handing a weapon to someone, it's drop the magazine, open the action. That's normal procedure in so many disciplines ............... but I suspect an officer might rather that one not do that .................... right?

Getting back to the original post. When I was a student worker in computers in the pre internet days, I often worked registration, often calling out names so people could pick up their packets. Well, I'm not such a great public speaker, and often, with people hot, tired, frustrated, I would mangle their names. They would come up, irritated, and say, "It's such and such!" or "this and that!"

I never did this but I was tempted. "Oh, really? Okay, go back to the line and let me try it again!"

And imagine how that might go over if the traffic stop officer did something similar.

In military police, as the "provost marshal" (USN's equivalent is the security officer), I didn't do actual traffic stops but did do gate searches of vehicles. People generally were not insulting but they were irritated. Had a Lt. Commander say on departure, "You can tell your Captain that there are better times to conduct a gate search." ................

.................which would get him a phone call chewing from my Captain because the Captain detested those who tried to tell him how to run his base.

In another situation, on an outbound search, had a Major from an interior command refuse the gate search order, signed by the Captain, saying along the lines, "You are not going to search my car unless you have a warrant." This went back and forth on a couple of passes and I finally said along the lines of,

"All right, Sir, I see you are with [his command]. We will handle this matter thru your command." He left, I reported the matter to my XO and Captain ................ and the Captain yanked his driving privlidges on the spot. If he wasn't going to obey the Captain's orders for driving on his base, then he wasn't going to drive on his base. For the weeks after that, he had to park his car outside the base, walk in,show his ID card at the gate, walk to where his command was on the base. I received an eventual apologetic call from his CO, telling me that he had fixed the officer's attitude.

Now, that's military, and there are different rules, of course. But the basic point is that wherever one goes, if one is going to buck instructions, you better know exactly what rules are on your side. Otherwise, you might be surprised to find which ones the department has control of.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 12:53:37 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/27/2008 1:56:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Shooter62:  First off carrying a weapon is a right, driving on a highway is not! That sir, is a priviledge and if you choose to do so you play by the rules of those who enforce the laws on the highway! In Tennessee when we run your driver's license ant dispatch also informs us that you have a carry permit(it's info is tied to your DL) and you failed to inform us at first contact as state law requires you will experirnce a thing called "felony Takedown" The friendly officer should inform you from about 20 yards away to exit your vehicle and lie face down in the street, arms out, palms up. If hes smart he also alo is already pointing his M4 or shotgun at you. I'm pretty sure he won't care how you feel about this. Only about his safety. If you don't like this move elsewhere that is the law here and its to protect us from assholes like you!  

If he does he should avoid Texas. Our approach is no different.

And that is all I am gonna say about that  because I wish to express my enjoyment of the open letter.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
sw1217
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 4:53:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Snowleopard:
It's interesting how one particular aspect, not even covered in the initial post, occupies this topic so much. Though I have noticed one particular thing on the net when it comes to the Constitution. People know the US Constitution when they cite it ........ what they don't know is the 200+ years of case law that goes with it or about incorporation. For example, every few weeks I have to educate people of the proportionality clause of the 8th amendment when, say, they are calling for the execution of a child molester. Leaving out the details of the case law, that clause says that unless the person has killed somebody, you can't execute them. That clause prevents "unusual punishment" such as, back in the old days, hanging someone for stealing bread.

People know the Constitution of the United States for what they learned in elementary school. What they don't know is what goes with it or the Constitution, usually, of their own state.

But it does bring an interesting question to mind. If an officer on a traffic stop wants me to hand over my side arm, well, that's the law, isn't it, and I will obey the law. But normally, when I am handing a weapon to someone, it's drop the magazine, open the action. That's normal procedure in so many disciplines ............... but I suspect an officer might rather that one not do that .................... right?

Getting back to the original post. When I was a student worker in computers in the pre internet days, I often worked registration, often calling out names so people could pick up their packets. Well, I'm not such a great public speaker, and often, with people hot, tired, frustrated, I would mangle their names. They would come up, irritated, and say, "It's such and such!" or "this and that!"

I never did this but I was tempted. "Oh, really? Okay, go back to the line and let me try it again!"

And imagine how that might go over if the traffic stop officer did something similar.

In military police, as the "provost marshal" (USN's equivalent is the security officer), I didn't do actual traffic stops but did do gate searches of vehicles. People generally were not insulting but they were irritated. Had a Lt. Commander say on departure, "You can tell your Captain that there are better times to conduct a gate search." ................

.................which would get him a phone call chewing from my Captain because the Captain detested those who tried to tell him how to run his base.

In another situation, on an outbound search, had a Major from an interior command refuse the gate search order, signed by the Captain, saying along the lines, "You are not going to search my car unless you have a warrant." This went back and forth on a couple of passes and I finally said along the lines of,

"All right, Sir, I see you are with [his command]. We will handle this matter thru your command." He left, I reported the matter to my XO and Captain ................ and the Captain yanked his driving privlidges on the spot. If he wasn't going to obey the Captain's orders for driving on his base, then he wasn't going to drive on his base. For the weeks after that, he had to park his car outside the base, walk in,show his ID card at the gate, walk to where his command was on the base. I received an eventual apologetic call from his CO, telling me that he had fixed the officer's attitude.

Now, that's military, and there are different rules, of course. But the basic point is that wherever one goes, if one is going to buck instructions, you better know exactly what rules are on your side. Otherwise, you might be surprised to find which ones the department has control of.

for fucks sakes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 5:11:36 AM EDT
Meow.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 10:55:53 AM EDT

for fucks sakes.

Oh, really, PoopyPants! Have you known a woman who didn't talk a lot?
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:10:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2008 11:10:40 AM EDT by TxLawDog]

Originally Posted By Snowleopard:

for fucks sakes.

Oh, really, PoopyPants! Have you known a woman who didn't talk a lot?

Only when they are pissed off and riding in a car with me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:22:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2008 11:23:11 AM EDT by Snowleopard]

Originally Posted By TxLawDog:
Only when they are pissed off and riding in a car with me.

Touche!

But I am curious. The officer stops me, tells me she will disarm me. Do I drop the magazine, open the action to hand it over or does she hand it back after taking it from me, being satisfied, with the magazine out, the action open?
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:34:14 AM EDT
You dont do shit with the firearm. If you get pulled over and theres a gun in the car you keep your hands off of it. She will ask you where the gun is at, have you exit the vehicle, pat you down then have you stand at a distance while she enters the vehilce to retreive the weapon. Once she gives the firearm back the condition that its returned in doesnt matter really. She may put the mag back in it or not, maybe action open or action closed. That personal preference for the individual officer for the most part.

just dont reach for the weapon even if she asks you to hand it to her. Let her get it herself to avoid any confusion or mistakes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top