Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2011 5:06:45 PM EDT
In California we can open carry BUT the weapon has to be UNLOADED.
The Handgun has to be on a Belt Open Holster openly visible from 3 sides (again: it MUST be UNLOADED)
however we can keep a loaded magazine on the other side of our belt

Here is a video of a young black male (who has unfortunately passed away since the video was taken)
Legally open carrying in Berkeley California - Video
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like a fine example of a young man.  Sad he has passed.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't mind having him as a neighbor.
Under what circumstances did he pass away?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome!

I would like to see a white guy do it though. I used to live there. It wouldn't be pretty.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of idiot open carries an unloaded pistol?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Reading wasn't your strongest subject was it?

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]
reading some of the comments on other videos... one person said that he passed away in his sleep.  nothing more than that.

Good Video.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

people who dont want to be arrested in CA

why dont you try open carrying in a similar neighborhood/setting in CT and let me know how it goes for you

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, very well spoken young man. So glad to see him taking full advantage of his right. I imagine someone or group fought very hard to get that legalized there so I am glad to see someone exercising that right. Although, I could understand someone not doing so for risk of an un needed visit from police or public who don't know the law.

So sad he is no longer here, too young.    Glad he left some good messages behind though
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Done,
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd give my right nut to be able to even carry a pistol unloaded. In upstate NY I can't even own a pistol unless I apply and obtain a permit. The process of getting a permit is so ridiculous that I can never even find the time to do it. Then once you apply for the permit it can and will take over a year for you to get it. Talk about bullshit...I'm in the military and can handle a 9mm beretta all day long but god forbid I be allowed to have my own pistol. I commend this guy. If I had the right to carry without jumping through ridiculous hoops, I certainly would.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In California it is ILLEGAL to OPEN Carry a LOADED Gun.
The GUN MUST BE UNLOADED
ALSO YOU CANNOT BE WITHIN 1000 FEET OF A SCHOOL

The California State Assembly just passed a Bill making it ILLEGAL to OPEN CARRY a FIREARM EVEN IF IT IS UNLOADED UNLESS
the person in question has a CCW.

In California it is next to impossible to get a CCW...it is a bit like trying to get a CCW in NYC.

The State Senate should be voting on this bill soon...lets hope it PASSES

WHY PASS? Because that sets up a Court Case challenging the unreasonableness of California's CCW process
where a Chief LEO can DENY a CCW application ARBITRARILY.
The Reason why a Chief LEO can deny a California CCW application is because the applicant must put down
"good cause" for carrying a concealed weapon. However there is no definition as to what "good cause" actually means.
AND LEOs have ruled that the 2nd Amendment or the Possibility of being a crime victim does NOT constitute "good cause"
Since SCOTUS has ruled that we have the Right to Defend ourselves.
And we have a Right to Keep and Bear Arms...it sets up a fight.
We cannot challenge the unreasonableness of California CCW process if we can still exercise our 2nd Amendment right
(granted in a very weak way) being able to carry UNLOADED handguns.

Take this away...and we now have a Court Case. And SCOTUS will eventually have to weigh in
on whether or not our Second Amendment Right 'to bear arms' are restricted at the door of our homes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Californians.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GUN MUST BE UNLOADED

The California State Assembly just passed a Bill making it ILLEGAL to OPEN CARRY a FIREARM EVEN IF IT IS UNLOADED UNLESS

In California it is next to impossible to get a CCW...it is a bit like trying to get a CCW in NYC.

WHY PASS? Because that sets up a Court Case challenging the unreasonableness of California's CCW process
The Reason why a Chief LEO can deny a California CCW application is because the applicant must put down
"good cause" for carrying a concealed weapon. However there is no definition as to what "good cause" actually means.
AND LEOs have ruled that the 2nd Amendment or the Possibility of being a crime victim does NOT constitute "good cause"
We cannot challenge the unreasonableness of California CCW process if we can still exercise our 2nd Amendment right

Take this away...and we now have a Court Case. And SCOTUS will eventually have to weigh in
on whether or not our Second Amendment Right 'to bear arms' are restricted at the door of our homes.

Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Seems like a fine example of a young man.

Indeed....

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GUN MUST BE UNLOADED

As a citizen of Wyoming and an LEO, this is so alien to me. We are the 4th state to pull our head out and recognize citizens already Constitutional RIGHT to carry, concealed or not. I find California's law stating one can carry, but it must be unloaded to be so utterly moronic and counter intuitive to be laughable and sad at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Californians.

We have CCW, unloaded open carry without a permit, and concealed carry without permit on your property and place of work.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/clownburner/OCCCWS/ca_ccw_map-big.png

Shrug, I live in a green zone.

Is it just me or does the red zones correspond to areas of higher rates of crime?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Californians.

We have CCW, unloaded open carry without a permit, and concealed carry without permit on your property and place of work.

Is it just me or does the red zones correspond to areas of higher rates of crime?
It's not just you.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[

I'd give my right nut to be able to even carry a pistol unloaded. In upstate NY I can't even own a pistol unless I apply and obtain a permit. The process of getting a permit is so ridiculous that I can never even find the time to do it. Then once you apply for the permit it can and will take over a year for you to get it. Talk about bullshit...I'm in the military and can handle a 9mm beretta all day long but god forbid I be allowed to have my own pistol. I commend this guy. If I had the right to carry without jumping through ridiculous hoops, I certainly would.

Take a day of leave and get the paperwork done if it's that big of a hastle to 'find the time'. Unless it takes multiple days it should only consist of fingerprints at the cop shop and filling out some paperwork at the court house, even at 4 hours per place thats only 1 day of stuff to do. But i'm not familar with the pistol application process in NY, i've done it in 4 other states though, one being MI where you need a permit each time you buy a handgun (still only took 15 min at the station).
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I support OC wherever and whenever it is practiced.

Kudos to the Californians who do!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Good thread Bostonterrier97
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Californians.

Monterrey? Santa Cruz? Marin? Sonoma? Not all of them.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#26]
God I love the California threads. Even Hank Jr. recognized that ALOT of Northern CA is just as fucking country conservative as anywhere else in this nation. The day the rules change, I am making a b-line back to Humboldt County.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#27]
When I lived in California, my next door neighbor was Sonoma County Sheriff jail staff and couldn't get a CCW until he had proof of a threat against his life.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Californians.

Interesting map. Makes me feel good that the only counties I've been to in CA are dark green.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top