Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 4:22:14 AM EDT
for a change. Dont care much for Tom Cruise one way or another but this is refreshing.

AP

Tom Cruise Says He's Keeping Vote Private

Cruise Says He's Keeping Vote Private

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Tom Cruise says he respects the right of entertainers to participate in political campaigning, but his vote in the upcoming presidential election will remain private.

During a news conference in Mexico's capital Monday to promote the local release of "Collateral," Cruise was asked his preference when it comes to President Bush and Democratic nominee John Kerry.

"Politics is something that is very personal to me," Cruise said. "I am not going to comment publicly (about) who I'm going to vote for. ... I don't want what I say to become a political football."

But when asked how he feels about other performers lobbying for their favorite candidate, Cruise signaled his approval.

"It's their right to do that and I respect that," said Cruise, appearing next to posters of the gray and grizzled hit man he plays in "Collateral."

"But I do believe and I encourage people to go out and study the issues, get beyond the propaganda," he said.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Propaganda huh? He's gotta be talking about Michael Moore. I bet ol' Maverick is voting for Bush. I might have to take that guy off my shit list now.

On another note, I had to add Matt Damon to my shitlist after hearing him announce he was voting for Kerry on Letterman a few nights ago.

For every decent Hollywood celebrity I can count, I can count about 50 assholes. The ratio isn't even close. But there are a few like Tom Selleck who I greatly respect.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Actors are all political MORONS, PERIOD!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I can respect that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
As a general rule, when they say "it's private" what they're really saying is "I'm voting republican but I can't admit that in public or I will be outcast by Hollywood."
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
What I respect most about the reply he gave that question was the fact he wasn't trying to influence anyone's decision. Regardless of who he votes for, he accepts his role as an actor and isn't trying to play political pundit like the Dixie Chicks, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Moore or the various other celebrity assholes we usually see. So even if he supports Kerry (which I doubt he does based on his comments), I still have more respect for him than I do those constantly flapping their jaws.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Me too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like he's a Log Cabin Republican.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As a general rule, when they say "it's private" what they're really saying is "I'm voting republican but I can't admit that in public or I will be outcast by Hollywood."

Very doubtful.  A year or two ago, he said in public how he's moving his kids to Australia because the US is such a scary place nowadays.  He was talking about the political climate.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm... Tom decides to keep his mouth shut about his politics and we've also heard that he took shooting classes (which apparently paid off) for "Collateral".

Interesting...

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

[cough] TOM SELLECK! [/cough]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

GunLvr

yep, his shits always packed
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
He is a Scientologists and therefore by definition a certifiable nut.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Everybody Loves Raymond's Patricia Heaton...

"Dennis Prager was thrilled with actress Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond), who was on Bill O'Reilly's show. She said she was pro-life, would vote to ban abortion if a justice on the US Supreme Court. Wasn't this an unpopular stand? She said that in the end, she will have to stand before God, not Barbra Streisand."

And yes, she is a Republican.  Although she kinda played it off as she like to do the opposite of what is expected of Hollywood celebs in her interview on Craig Kilbourne's show.  But with the above quote, I think she was just trying to diffuse ths situation.  The above quote sounds way too conservative to vote for a Democrat. The quote is from a different interview.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Why become the next Dixie Chick?

(The last time I saw Natalie Maines, she was on the back of a milk carton)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#15]
You know, when I was little I once asked my Grandfather who he voted for.  He told me that he would not tell me and that I shouldn't ask a question like that.  Since that day I haven't dirrectly ask "who are you or did you vote for?"  

anybody else raised that way or was it just me?  

Dg84
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

GunLvr

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Good answer.

I heard another good 'celebrity' quote from Bradd Pitt a while back.  A journalist asked him what he thought about the war in Iraq, and he responded: "What are you asking me for?  I'm just an actor."
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Everybody Loves Raymond's Patricia Heaton...

"Dennis Prager was thrilled with actress Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond), who was on Bill O'Reilly's show. She said she was pro-life, would vote to ban abortion if a justice on the US Supreme Court. Wasn't this an unpopular stand? She said that in the end, she will have to stand before God, not Barbra Streisand."

And yes, she is a Republican.  Although she kinda played it off as she like to do the opposite of what is expected of Hollywood celebs in her interview on Craig Kilbourne's show.  But with the above quote, I think she was just trying to diffuse ths situation.  The above quote sounds way too conservative to vote for a Democrat. The quote is from a different interview.

But her signature is on the '50 actors/actresses who support the AWB' thingy...Link please someone.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
But her signature is on the '50 actors/actresses who support the AWB' thingy...Link please someone.

BigDozer66

Actually, it isn't just "support the AWB" it is a petition to give a stronger, take 'em all style AWB sponsored by Violence Policy Center. Though whether any of the people who signed it know a semi-auto from a fishing pole is a fair question I'd imagine...

www.vpc.org/press/0407rollcall.htm

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[cough] TOM SELLECK! [/cough]

[cough]Heston[\cough]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

yep, his shits always packed

Yep...and he is NOT a lover of bush.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You know, when I was little I once asked my Grandfather who he voted for.  He told me that he would not tell me and that I shouldn't ask a question like that.  Since that day I haven't dirrectly ask "who are you or did you vote for?"  

anybody else raised that way or was it just me?  

Dg84

I don't ask people who they voted for.  IMO it is a personal matter and not really any of my business.

As for Mr Cruise, I couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

]
me3
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Guys,

Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are both very smart guys when it comes to their careers.  They are top actors, with top-tier salaries for a reason, and they are smart enough, and well-enough advised, that they don't want to jeapordize their position in Hollywood.

Right now, America is pretty evenly divided, so no matter who you vote for, you're voting differently than around half of the voters.  The lesson of the Dixie Chicks and others has not escaped the attention of actors and others in Hollywood who have ACTIVE careers and want to stay on top, and so the smart ones are electing to keep their mouths shut.  It's the safe, smart thing to do, because that isn't going to alienate you from either side.

Not every actor, artist, or musician is that smart, that's obvious.  Some are in such a strong position that they can afford to alienate people, and others simply don't care if they do.  Still others are going to feel the wrath; their lesson is coming.

But don't assume that just because someone isn't saying who they're voting for that you know who they'll vote for.

-Troy

BINGO!!!!! We have a WINNER!!!

And can I add...."Besides, who gives a crap really??" They make their living LYING and PRETENDING to be someone that they are not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Cruise is a big lefty
www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?st=CA&last=Cruise&first=Tom

CRUISE, TOM
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067
ACTOR BOXER, BARBARA (D)
Senate - CA
FRIENDS OF BARBARA BOXER $1000 03/31/03

CRUISE, TOM
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067
ACTOR CLINTON, HILLARY RODHAM (D)
Senate - NY
NEW YORK SENATE 2000 $5000 12/27/99

CRUISE, THOMAS
LOS ANGELES, CA 90067
DNC SERVICES CORPORATION/DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL COMMITTEE (D) $5000 10/11/96
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top