Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 2:45:33 PM EDT
Well fellows, I've been on a week long vacation and traveled around 3,000 miles.  Just got home.

Tman and I went on a tour of some great military museums and took his brother, Bob, who is a retired E-7 from the Army.  Having Bob along was a plus when we went through the gates and security.  The security was pretty tight, but Bob got a quick line-up and a, "Have a good day, Sarge", from the troops.

First we went to the George Patton Museum at Fort Knox.  Here I am standing next to a big exihibit near the entrance.  Anybody know what it is?

Inside, we saw a great cut-away of a King Tiger Tank from WWII.

Of course, there were a lot of exhibits of General Patton's stuff.  Here's his .45 Colt:

Here's his .357 Mag:

We then went to the Air Museum at Dayton, Ohio.  It is the biggest air museum in the country.  It is just great.  There are hundreds of planes in 6 big hangers.  It is an all day trip, and even then, you can't possibly see it all.

Here's some stuff I thought you guys would like to see:

This C-130 Spectre was the main one that straffed the "Highway of Death" coming out of Kuait in Gulf War 1.  It repeatedly straffed the convoy and killed hundreds, maybe thousands of Iraqis.

This is my favorite airplane, the A-10 Warthog.  This particular one helped the aforementioned C-130 straff the Highway of Death in GW1.

Here I am looking at the business end of the GAU minigun.  It did a fine job on the Iraqis.

A great vacation!  I enjoyed it.  If you guys get a chance, don't miss visiting our great military museums.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That tank was developed to bust through the last German strongholds in WWII.  That much, I remember, but I forget what it was called, and don't believe it was ever put into service.  Ft. Knox is an interesting place.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Great pics OP!

Glad you had fun.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

This C-130 Spectre was the main one that straffed the "Highway of Death" coming out of Kuait in Gulf War 1.  It repeatedly straffed the convoy and killed hundreds, maybe thousands of Iraqis.

And apparently 6 camels!!!

(sweet pics)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice pics, looks like you had fun!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=31497

(sweet pics)

When you are shooting at a bunch of camel f***ers, you are going to hit a few camels too.

Cool pics OP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I will have to visit Aberdeen again soon.

Cool pictures
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Great pics Painless!

A big +1 on Wright Patterson.
You could easily spend 3 days there ejoying
all the history that has been presurved.

Glad you had a good trip.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy Smokes, O-Painless!

Is that Spectre awesome, or what?.... plus get a load of the B1 behind it.

Talk about dealin' violence out to the bad guys...........

Must of been quite an experience to see all that in one place. I am definitely going to have to make that trip one day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That tank was developed to bust through the last German strongholds in WWII.  That much, I remember, but I forget what it was called, and don't believe it was ever put into service.  

I'm going to have to give you credit for that one.  You are right on the money.  It was developed to counter the King Tiger, but never saw action.

Did you notice the twin tracks on each side?

What a machine!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Great pics!  Thanks for sharing!

I went to the Fort Knox tank museum when I was little.... too bad I can't remember more.  I guess I will just have to make another visit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

(sweet pics)

Yep.  Don't know what the camels represent, but the Warthog had them too.

Whatever it means, it was bad news for the bad guys.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Holy Smokes, O-Painless!

Is that Spectre awesome, or what?.... plus get a load of the B1 behind it.

Talk about dealin' violence out to the bad guys...........

Must of been quite an experience to see all that in one place. I am definitely going to have to make that trip one day.

Yep, great planes.

I didn't get a picture of the B-2, as it is invisible.

But I did get a picture of the bomb bay of the B-52 on display:

There's room for a lot of bombs!  (As the Iraqi Republican Guard found out.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#13]
that tank in the the first pic is too cool!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
O_P neglected to mention the visit to the Jack Daniel's distillery. We got some hard lemonade at the end of the tour. ( It's in a dry county )

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
O_P neglected to mention the visit to the Jack Daniel's distillery. We got some hard lemonade at the end of the tour. ( It's in a dry county )

I figured that the guys on AR15.com were T-Totalers.

Here's a batch called "Single Barrel" as it all comes out of a single barrel of special blend.

I bet it tastes nasty.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
T28 Super Heavy Tank

A fine piece of research, 2A373.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#18]
This is weird book - I was wondering earlier today where Patton's ivory handled SAA was - I was guessing West Point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#19]
You should have visited some real distilleries when you were near Fort Knoxx. You had Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek all close by.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a batch called "Single Barrel" as it all comes out of a single barrel of special blend.

I bet it tastes nasty.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=31503

It does!(taste nasty)  While you were at Knox, you should have detoured to Lville, and stopped at the Beam distillery!  Would have been a much better tastin' whiskey!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is weird book - I was wondering earlier today where Patton's ivory handled SAA was - I was guessing West Point.

The Patton Museum is a great museum.  It has a lot of his personal stuff.  He was a very interesting character.

He was probably dislexic, i.e., he saw letters and numbers backwards.  This made his studies in West Point very difficult.  Only his determination and guts got him through.

Sadly, the time we were there, some of the display had been temporaily removed to make room for a special "Elvis Presley" display, that, though interesting, didn't measure up to General Patton's.

George Patton had many flaws, but was a great General Officer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You should have visited some real distilleries when you were near Fort Knoxx. You had Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek all close by.

Dang!  And there I was, as dry as dust.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
T28 Super Heavy Tank

A fine piece of research, 2A373.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Pics will not load for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Something is wrong with the photo server.  

Try again later.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1.

ARF photo server goes down more than a hooker on Fleetweek. im paying 60bux a year for what again?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Photo server must be down,but you must know how much we love yo OP!~

Cause we pretend we can see them and we can in  your mind!!

Good trip OP and you deserve anything you get!   As pictures of your family prove you are an Ok dude!!~

When the server gets up will be looking forward to seeing how real people live!

Good for you OP!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#28]
A bump, now that the photo server is up again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet it tastes nasty.

Damn  my liver started to twitch................That is the Best that Jack has right there, and it all came from the same barrel.

Hey O_P if you want to become a Tennesse Squire let me know
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
That is the Best that Jack has right there, and it all came from the same barrel.

Hey O_P if you want to become a Tennesse Squire let me know

If that involves being a taste-tester at Jack's, count me in.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Excellent looking vacation my friend

Thanks, Lumpy.

The only way it could have been better is if they would have gassed-up that Warthog, loaded the mini-gun, and let me fly it and straff some Iraqis.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Great pictures.  Thanks for sharing!

NorCal
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#34]
The camels stand for (Ibelieve) confirmed t-72 kills.

The T28 bears a strong resemblance to Soviet designs of the same era, which came about for the same purpose . . . to kill King Tigers.  

They have the best collection of Wermacht armor that i have come across, with several other nice pieces beside the King Tiger.  

Unfortunately they do not have any examples of the tankdestroyers which were based on the KT (Jagdpanzer, etc).  One of this type went through a _battalion_ of Shermans and then went home to take a nap.

If you had come through to the Woodford Reserve you could have stopped by and hung out for a while.  That is just a few miles south of my home.  But you would have had to drink all that crap on your own . . . I am a teetotaler.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Ha ha ha ha!!!  We just did the same thing a couple of months ago.  3,400 miles.  Two of the main highlights of the trip were the Patton Museum of Armor & Wright Patterson AFB Museum.  I have all the same pictures (except you weren't in them for some reason).  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Excellent looking vacation my friend

Thanks, Lumpy.

The only way it could have been better is if they would have gassed-up that Warthog, loaded the mini-gun, and let me fly it and straff some Iraqis.

Is that part of the tour, or does that cost extra?

I can always borrow the money, y'know......

Glad you enjoyed the vacation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ha ha ha ha!!!  We just did the same thing a couple of months ago.  3,400 miles.  Two of the main highlights of the trip were the Patton Museum of Armor & Wright Patterson AFB Museum.  I have all the same pictures (except you weren't in them for some reason).  

That's amazing.

Great minds, and all that.

We went through Greenville, AL to pick up brother Bob and while in the vicinity, we also visited Fort Rucker, the home of the Army Air Museum.   It was a fine museum also.  Lots of helicopters.

They even had a frame with a small swath of red cloth that was taken from the plane flown by the Red Baron.

I love military museums.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Great shots Painless.

I recently went to Eglin Air Force Base's Armament Museaum...it was great. The had absolutely EVERY type of weapon ever used, including nukes. Cruise missiles, bombs of every variety, and if it's ever been strapped to a plane/chopper and fires a projectile, it too was there. They also had planes: F15, A10, SR71, B52, F16, AC130 Spectre....among a LOT of others. Quite impressive, and free.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Glad you enjoyed your trip Old_Painless.  Welcome back.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Great shots Aimless.

I'm Painless.

Aimless is the slow-witted guy.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the great pictures, Painless
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great shots Aimless.

I'm Painless.

Aimless is the slow-witted guy.

Gotcha, my bad. Corrected my error. Anyway, hell of a trip you took!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Can see the pics now, very nice, looks like you had a fun time.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Glad you enjoyed your trip Old_Painless.  Welcome back.

Thanks, Shane.  It's good to be back.

Eight days of eating out gets old.  I'm glad to get some home cooking for a change.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
What a trip you guys had!

That's some fine looking hardware y'all got to see, indeed!

But, 'fess up, getting back to Texas was delightful, as well!

Eric The(YeeeHaawww!)Hun

Only a Native Texican can know the joy of crossing the bridge back into Texas.

It's like entering Heaven.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like fun.  Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top