Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Hardy Boys. Tom Swift. Encyclopedia Brown (not old when I read them)

Read "Swiss Family Robinson" yearly for a while until my copy disappeared.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of the ones already mentioned.  My favorite old book though is "The Bumper Book, A Collection of Stories and Verses for Children".  I remember being a very small kiddo and having my mom read this book to me at bed time.

I went to buy a copy for a cousin of mine a few years ago and was surprised to see how many people said that it was a beautiful book BUT that it was a "little too white to buy for their kids".  
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The devils arithmetic
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I loved these books when I was young:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Midshipman Quinn.

The Hobbit.

The Revolution by Ron Paul.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my rocket scientist grandpa got me this set when I was like 8 (not my pic)
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/F9QAAOSwuAdiWEt9/s-l1600.jpg
View Quote
Have that same series. Still on the shelf somewhere 40 years later.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#7]
One of them would be Where The Wild Things Are. Paged through that many times on trips to the library as a kid. Fascinating illustrations even today.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:43:22 AM EDT
[#8]
The odyssey
Old Man and the Sea
To kill a mockingbird

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The Green Berets by Robin Moore was one of my favorite books in Middle School

Landmark historical book series were great as well, my library had those. They were old as hell in the 1990s but fun reads
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]

That book and his castle book was amazing
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Tom Swift (from the 50's)
Choose your own adventure.
The Hobbit.
Hardy Boys.

Eta: The wind in the willows.   See tagline.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone remember the CB Colby books?  I had a bunch of them and read every one cover to cover a zillion times.  Wasn't hard, they were short and had lots of pictures.
View Quote

Yes - I find them ocassionally and pick them up for sentimental reasons, remembering early trips to the library and reading about military gear and guns.

Nuclear recoiless rifle on a jeep - that was a cool pic in one of his books.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#13]
For me - Small Arms of the World by Ezell, 1977 Edition.

I read and reviewed this book constantly in my youth - unlike other sources of information like Gun Magazines, and errant other references, this was full of good technical information.  I built an AR15 after being fascinated by all the AR coverage in the book.  No internet back in those days, just paper and ink.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Did not realise the famas came out the same time as the aug.....
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When I was a kid the first book I read was a wrinkle in time.
I thought it was great, and it made me interested in physics.
Books are nearly always better than their movie adaptations, but the woke mob came for this one with a vengeance.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.tmdb.org%2Ft%2Fp%2Foriginal%2FiVF9V4JEZYHplUgjhm76dx7XYOm.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

View Quote

My youngest daughter's favorite.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Always was a reader from very early. I could mention a long list of authors who've been kind enough to loan me their fertile minds...Tolkien, Rand, O'Brian (on the latter, Capt Jack Aubrey was my avatar before my paid sub expired), to name a few.

The most memorable though was "Where The Red Fern Grows". I was 13 and my 12 year old brother asked me if I'd "read this little book" to him and our 11 year old brother that week. He knew i read effortlessly, but he was too prideful to admit he had trouble. (There was no name for it then, but he suffers with a form of dyslexia called dysgraphia). He knew I'd easily knock that book out that week. I did. Loved the book and my audience sat with rapt attention. What i did not know is that he was in a bind for a book report. He had been failed a grade, so he and our 11 year old brother were both in a bind for a book report....same grade, different class schedules. I'd been had by two clever little bastards.

That being said, it was a great book and i got to help out a couple of little sharps who would do well later in life. Win/win.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#17]
The Boxcar Children, Rascal by Sterling North, Totally Disgusting by Bill Wallace, and the Boy Scout Manual were some of my favorites.

I read one of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (I think it was the 3rd one) in 2nd grade and it freaked me out

As others have said, the World Books were always fun to read too.  The teachers would always let us go grab one from the hallway.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Sharks and Little Fish by Wolfgang Ott.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I read non stop as a kid and young adult, not nearly as much any more. My grandmother got me reading at the age of 4. Standouts are;
"The Machine Gunners" by Robert Westall. I'd think a modern school would probably remove this one, but I found it fascinating as a kid in middle school.
"The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings" - I still have my 1977 boxed set. I read the entire thing in three days.
"Patton: Ordeal and Triumph". My copy went with a staff member who worked for me when he deployed to Afghanistan in 2007. It was in his pocket when the IED sent him to his eternal reward.
Of course, the classic we had to read in school and still fascinates me today, "Alas, Babylon"
My mother collected Readers Digest condensed books and one I still have today, with the 1968 abridged copy of one of the greatest war novels I've ever read, "Once an Eagle" by Anton Myrer. MANY years later I finally found the video of the mini series they made from the book, and after about 20 minutes I turned it off in disgust - they ruined it. I bought an unabridged copy many years later, great book.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#21]
My Mom gave me a bunch of Hardy Boys books and then I watched the TV series back in the day. When I met my EX she had a collections of Nancy Drew books she read growing up. It was something very early in our relationship we talked about. Otherwise it was reading my best friend's MAD magazine and the Sunday comics were always a big hit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dragonlance series.
View Quote

yep
and
where the red fern grows
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top