Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 10:17:22 AM EDT
Got a ? for ya.....

I have a 98' F-150 extd. cab 4x4 that has the factory 6 disc cd-changer.

For starters I bought the truck new in 97' and have used the cd palyer more than a lot [if that matters].

Sometimes the changer will not acknowledge that the 6 disc cassette is even in it and at others, when it does play, it sounds as if the tracking is all screwed up as the music is echoed, skips, and all other various disturbing crap that I don't want it to do.

Anyone else experienced this or no of any remedies that might result in a quick fix?

Have tried a CD cleaner system which made no difference.  Everything about the FEU is okay.  No probs w/ radio or cassette player..........just the changer.

Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#1]
maube its time for a new one,sounds like the cd player is just worn out.
if you don't want to replace it with a aftermarket,go to the junk yard and you probally will fine a good one.
i would go with a good aftermarket.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Have the very same truck.

The CD changer Ford uses in our truck is a Clarion unit. The changer control cable going to the head unit is prone to comming loose. Has happen to other fellow owners, especially if you go off-roading. Usually when that happens you'll get a 'No DJ' error displayed on the Radio display. The fix for that is just rechecking the changer connections at the changer & at the head unit.

Your changer sounds like it's experiencing different problem though, maybe you can pull it out and have it cleaned. It's very easy to have debrise fall into it, if you don't keep the changer door closed.

Check out the Ford F-150 forums, may try the search functions to see if you can find more info on your problem. [url]http://www.f150online.com/forums/index.php[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You've probably already done this, but have you cleaned the contacts w/ alcohol and a Q-tip? After that I'd say check the connections, finally you just might have worn the poor thing out! I've had CD&DVD players go bad before Usually the laser looses track or it gets squirrely.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.

Hoping it is not worn out as I sure don't need to drop any $ on such as this right now.

Possibly a loose connection...[possibly]....maybe a good cleaning is in order as well.  I found that my step son [when I was married] was always opening the changer door cover and leaving it open......a big NO NO....maybe some junk in there.

Thanks again for the F-150 link....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top