Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 1:25:33 PM EDT
SUB H.B. 347 passed the Ohio House of Representatives 76-18.

Today the Ohio House of Representative passed Sub HR 347. This bill will reform and improve concealed carry and improve the safety and security of our state. The substitute bill was the result of strenuous efforts by Representative Aslanides (R-94) and gun rights groups to address concerns of interested parties while still maintaining as much of the original bill as possible. While many, diverse interests were “at the table” during this process, the substitute bill is still very favorable to gun owners.

The broad bi-partisan support for this bill proves that personal safety and security are important issues to Republicans and Democrats alike, whether they live in rural or urban areas. Women are particularly vulnerable to crime, and the number of female legislators voting for HB347 speaks to its importance for the safety that all women care about.

The most important aspects to gun owners are uniform laws throughout the state and the elimination of “plain sight” for concealed carry license holders (CHL’s). Background checks will become uniform, as will the standard for sealed/expunged records. Restrictions on police officers have been eased. A complete review of the legislation is available on our web site, http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3016.html.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Does this mean I can bring my babies back home from exile in Delaware?

Edit- Nevermind. Still needs to hit the Senate. Still, a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Good on the Buckeye state! They finally did away with that stupid "in plain sight in a motor vehicle" nonsense!! That is good news.

After reading the bill, the only problem I have with it is the 'must inform' clause. I believe that having to inform a cop at a traffic stop is counter productive and can lead to the LEO disarming the subject promoting the opportunity for an AD.

All in all...I'm happy for y'all!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Edit- Nevermind. Still needs to hit the Senate. Still, a step in the right direction.

It passed by a 'non-vetoable margin' from the way the website read. Did I misread it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It passed by a 'non-vetoable margin' from the way the website read. Did I misread it?

I don't think that means the same thing as "it's now the law". Of course I know squat about legal thingys so I could be wrong. Actually hope I am.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

VERY good question ....  As an Ohio CCW holder I'm obviously very interested in this bills passing. I also would have liked to see them make a few other additional changes

like the mentioned "Must Disclose" clause

and then there is the "open records to Journalists" part which really sucks ....

but then again, there is the part where we can't carry in any establishment that serves alchohol, which means I can't carry if I happen to take the family to dinner and they serve so much as a beer in the building.

BUT OTHERWISE, I'm at least happy to carry where I am allowed and do so at every opportunity LEGALLY...  and it will be much better than the current in-car laws now in effect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top