Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 5:48:10 AM EDT
A very interesting post by Victor Davis Hanson on the unanswered questions on  Benghazi.

Oh What a Tangled Web

Supporters of President Obama have dubbed those who question administration statements about Libya as either partisans or conspiracy theorists, on the premise that the administration had no reason to dissimulate. But in fact, it had plenty of political reasons not to be candid, as the following questions make clear.

Why was the administration hesitant to beef up security at the vulnerable Benghazi consulate ahead of time, or to send in military assistance during the seven-hour attack on the consulate and the CIA annex, or at least to be candid after the attack?

The Obama reelection campaign had established a catchy narrative about foreign policy. “Leading from behind” had rid the world of Qaddafi without the loss of American lives, and had prepped Libya for the arrival of the Arab Spring, which would lead to a postbellum reform government. Barack Obama had killed Osama bin Laden and scattered al-Qaeda, dispelling slurs that he was somehow soft on Islamic terrorism. His reset diplomacy had brought a cool professional approach of quiet competency to foreign policy, consistent with a new lower-profile American posture abroad.

The idea of a preplanned hit by al-Qaeda affiliates on a vulnerable and unprepared American diplomatic post had the potential to shatter that narrative right before the election.

Full story at the link, worth the read.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like that guy's essays.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
No better modern political scholar than Mr. Hanson.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I love VDH
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#4]
damn.  I had to read that twice.  That guy is sharp.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
damn.  I had to read that twice.  That guy is sharp.

He does tie up a lot of lose ends and puts them into a very plausible series of events. I do think he has the big picture correct, the details will need a few years to come to light.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
bump
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Spot on.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Nailed it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top