Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/22/2017 2:14:17 PM EDT
What the hell have I done?

I was cruising an out-of-state shop and spied a boring Ruger Bisley with cheesy faux stag grips.  As my eyes were about to keep on scanning I noticed the hole in the barrel was big- really big.

It is a Linebaugh custom 500 Linebaugh 5.5" Bisley.  Grips aside it is mint and locks up like a bankvault.  

I got it coming in to my in-state dealer.

WHAT IS THIS?  Why?  I have no rational reason for a revolver that can push a 525 gr bullet out to ?1100? fps.  It isn't even a .50 caliber- is is a .51!

It only weighs 48 ounces.

Hold me, GD.  I am scared.

ETA: added bad pics, page 2
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I was cruising an out-of-state shop and spied a boring Ruger Bisley with cheesy faux stag grips.  As my eyes were about to keep on scanning I noticed the hole in the barrel was big- really big.

It is a Linebaugh custom 500 Linebaugh 5.5" Bisley.  Grips aside it is mint and locks up like a bankvault.  

WHAT IS THIS?  Why?  I have no rational reason for a revolver that can push a 525 gr bullet out to ?1100? fps.  It isn't even a .50 caliber- is is a .51!

View Quote

Start reloading now
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:*snip*It isn't even a .50 caliber- is is a .51!
View Quote

NFA item?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I always liked reading Taffin in American Handgunner in the early 90s.

Have fun with that hog leg.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
You ought to be scared...it's half the weight of the S&W X Frame.

BANG. "Owwwwshit!"
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I know the family, they live out here.  I know some people with the guns too.  If you can afford one, you wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Dustin Linebaugh (john's son) makes some of the best looking single actions out there.

How much did you pay for it, OP?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
If you got it for a great price you got a great score.  

5.5" is about perfection for that platform.  

If you don't "roll your own" go buy a cheap RCBS or Hornady single stage press and a set of dies.  You can load that thing as hot or cold as you want.  I bet you can find a moderate load that will drop anything that walks and yet not suffer from early onset of arthritis.

There is NOTHING better looking that a big bore stainless Ruger Bisley.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Good Luck Buddy!
A friend of mine has a .475 Linebaugh. I fired it 4 times using a PAST recoil glove, that was enough. made my .44 mag seem like a BB pistol!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Dibs on (other) guns!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I got it for 700 bucks.

Buddha was right.  I am the source of my own suffering.

Fortunately Starline makes brass for it.

Maybe I should go whale hunting (fishing?) with it?  Poke bison with sticks?  Slap a grizzly bear?  Play keep away with a horny moose?

I don't know what to do with this boom beast.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear you can shoot down satellites with that round
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got it for 700 bucks.

Maybe I should go whale hunting (fishing?) with it?  Poke bison with sticks?  Slap a grizzly bear?  Play keep away with a horny moose?

View Quote
Post pics!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know the family, they live out here.  I know some people with the guns too.  If you can afford one, you wont be disappointed.
View Quote
The cylinder lock up is like the Freedom Arms revolvers I have handled- there really is no play at all.

The trigger pull is crisp.

It is clearly a custom gun and the cylinder rotates freely both directions.  The bluing is rich and deep.

I think I will put some Micarta grips on it and then just stare at it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#14]
daaaang ammo is spensive for the good stuff... almost pay for its own reloading setup in 2-3 boxes haha.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=32
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Post pics!
View Quote
Will do when I get it in hand.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Wasn't there a gun writer who ended up with a detached retina because he liked the big guns?

How's your vision insurance?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Down load that puppy and enjoy slinging those heavy bullets!  I load my 500 Smith down and just smile when I can see those holes in the target.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a gun writer who ended up with a detached retina because he liked the big guns?

View Quote
Mom said I would go blind for another reason.

Detached retinas??  

Blindness, arthritis, and poverty.  

Goddamn....is this the greatest Country on the Planet or WHAT?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#20]
OP is going to be subsidizing some orthopedic surgeon's boat payments.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mom said I would go blind for another reason.

Detached retinas??  

Blindness, arthritis, and poverty.  

Goddamn....is this the greatest Country on the Planet or WHAT?
View Quote
Yes, yes it is !
Enjoy your hand cannon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#22]
You stole that shit!

When you get tired of it, remember to sell it too me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Neat pistol.  You don't have to load it to full capacity.  Just load it up to whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy it.  Of course, I would have to experiment with high test loads, but usually would shoot milder loadings.

I shot a titanium 44 special that is damned snappy, but I suspect would pale by comparison to your hog leg.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Neat pistol.  You don't have to load it to full capacity.  Just load it up to whatever you are comfortable with and enjoy it.  Of course, I would have to experiment with high test loads, but usually would shoot milder loadings.

I shot a titanium 44 special that is damned snappy, but I suspect would pale by comparison to your hog leg.
View Quote
I fully intend to sissyfy my range ammunition.  The full power stuff hits harder than Squatdog.

I can't wait to haul this thing out at the range.  

You call that a handgun?  THIS IS A HANDGUN.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Load it down a bit for less recoil. That flying ashtray will still do plenty of damage at 900ish FPS! A 454 Casull is a handful with full power 300 grainers, but a little less powder & it's comfortable. Let fly a few full power loads, so the lighter stuff will really be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Handguns? I always hear about it as a consequence of big rifles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Load it down a bit for less recoil. That flying ashtray will still do plenty of damage at 900ish FPS! A 454 Casull is a handful with full power 300 grainers, but a little less powder & it's comfortable. Let fly a few full power loads, so the lighter stuff will really be appreciated.
View Quote
I bet it will give me a PTSD level 9 flinch if I don't work up my loads slowly.  I can handle max. 44 Magnum out of my Dan Wesson without a problem, but this is a whole different kettle of fish.

Suppose it would be a good time to haul the casting equipment down from the attic.  I haven't cast any bullets since the early 90s.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Seems odd someone would put cheesy grips on a custom high buck revolver like that.
Maybe they're Eagle elk Horn?
Anyway, good score for that price.
My Bisley Blackhawk .45 Colt loaded hot with 300g at 1100 is about all I care to touch off in a  packing revolver.
Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll shoot it 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Seems odd someone would put cheesy grips on a custom high buck revolver like that.
Maybe they're Eagle elk Horn?
Anyway, good score for that price.
My Bisley Blackhawk .45 Colt loaded hot with 300g at 1100 is about all I care to touch off in a  packing revolver.
Have fun!
View Quote
Yeah, it is odd about the grips.  I will look the grips over more closely when the gun gets here.  It is possible that it is Elk horn.  I just assumed it was a cheesy "stag" plastic thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You stole that shit!

When you get tired of it, remember to sell it too me.
View Quote
and then you can sell it to me..........LOL
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should me scared .... cool gun and all I guess, but enjoy your broken wrist!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#33]
whoa......WHOA!....hold the hell on...

You picked up a Linebaugh Customs 500L for $700?
Seven hundred....as in seven hundred dollar bills.
i.e. not over $1000 dollars
7 Benjamins

Am I reading that correctly?

So you managed to pickup a 5 shot Ruger Bisley conversion with a 5 1/2" barrel done by "The Man" himself for under a grand?

1) I am extremely jealous
2) You basically stole that gun
3) The owner of the pawn shop must really know nothing about guns AND not have access to the internet
4) OP has taken the first step towards his impending carpal tunnel surgery.

In all seriousness, that is an amazing score on a sledgehammer of a caliber.
It is also probably one of the finest handguns made. If you ever get to the point where you don't shoot it, hang on to it. The old man is not going to make guns forever, and when he stops that gun is going to shoot up in value. Depending on the condition it probably is already a $3000 gun.

I would also encourage you to give Mr. Linebaugh a call to verify the authenticity of the build. I am sure he can give you the specifics of what was exactly done to the gun, and maybe even an original purchase price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Order your mould and dies now or be poor
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I got it for 700 bucks.

View Quote
isn't there a bear in that state?  Reason enough.  If it's too much powah, just load it down to your liking.  Keep some hot loads around for friends or if that bear is sighted
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I got it for 700 bucks.

View Quote
You can tug on Superman's cape.
You can pull the mask of that old lone Ranger.
You can mess around with Jim.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I know a guy that sold one because his wrist became to fucked up to shoot it.  

That is why a lot of used model 29 Smiths used to be sold cheap with a box of shells and only 6 missing. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
whoa......WHOA!....hold the hell on...

You picked up a Linebaugh Customs 500L for $700?
Seven hundred....as in seven hundred dollar bills.
i.e. not over $1000 dollars
7 Benjamins

Am I reading that correctly?

So you managed to pickup a 5 shot Ruger Bisley conversion with a 5 1/2" barrel done by "The Man" himself for under a grand?

1) I am extremely jealous
2) You basically stole that gun
3) The owner of the pawn shop must really know nothing about guns AND not have access to the internet
4) OP has taken the first step towards his impending carpal tunnel surgery.

In all seriousness, that is an amazing score on a sledgehammer of a caliber.
It is also probably one of the finest handguns made. If you ever get to the point where you don't shoot it, hang on to it. The old man is not going to make guns forever, and when he stops that gun is going to shoot up in value. Depending on the condition it probably is already a $3000 gun.

I would also encourage you to give Mr. Linebaugh a call to verify the authenticity of the build. I am sure he can give you the specifics of what was exactly done to the gun, and maybe even an original purchase price.
View Quote
Yep, 700 bucks (well, state tax added 43.75 to it).

IIRC it is marked Linebaugh Custom Sixguns on one line on the frame, Cody WY in a second line.  The barrel is marked .500 Linebaugh.

I guess there isn't much market for Bison slaying revolvers in the Northeast!

ETA: I think there was a three digit number marked in front of the trigger guard on the bottom of the frame.  I think it was ?293?  perhaps a build number?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I like loading .44 Mag and .45 Colt with 10 or 11 grains of Unique for a nice, soft-shooting load behind 240 or 250 grain hardcast.

I wonder if that would make for a safe load in a case as big as a Linebaugh, with so little powder and so much space inside the case. Flashover is no joke.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#40]
That ought to be a hoot!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I like loading .44 Mag and .45 Colt with 10 or 11 grains of Unique for a nice, soft-shooting load behind 240 or 250 grain hardcast.

I wonder if that would make for a safe load in a case as big as a Linebaugh, with so little powder and so much space inside the case. Flashover is no joke.
View Quote
Wouldn't a wad prevent that?

Also, I suspect trailboss would be a good powder for a plinking load.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice score.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#43]
That thang going to break yo wrisses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
id use trailboss for doing a soft load.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

id use trailboss for doing a soft load.
View Quote
I have a can of it somewhere, but I've never used it. Does it fill volume better?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep, 700 bucks (well, state tax added 43.75 to it).

IIRC it is marked Linebaugh Custom Sixguns on one line on the frame, Cody WY in a second line.  The barrel is marked .500 Linebaugh.

I guess there isn't much market for Bison slaying revolvers in the Northeast!

ETA: I think there was a three digit number marked in front of the trigger guard on the bottom of the frame.  I think it was ?293?  perhaps a build number?
View Quote
Call John up and ask him about the number.

Other than being "The Man" when it comes to big bore revolvers, his work is some of the highest quality you will find out there. Not fancy, just Swiss watch like tolerances and workmanship and understated design.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have a can of it somewhere, but I've never used it. Does it fill volume better?
View Quote
Its very "fluffy"!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trail Boss is about as fluffy of a powder as you can get.
In all straight walled pistol cartridges you can not put enough Trail Boss in the case to cause a problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Overpowered revolvers are super fun and there is no rule stating they have to be max power loads.

I love my 500s!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's 50 rounds of Buffalo Bore .500 Linebaugh for only $150!  

Buffalo Bore .500 Linebaugh

OP, I know Buffalo Bore is never the cheapest ammo, but I'm guessing most factory loaded .500 Linebaugh is going to be hunting purposed premium rounds.  

If you don't currently reload I'd either plan to start soon or else flip that pistol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top