BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/29/2016 7:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stoney0102]
I am strongly considering starting keto. Right now I am 254lbs at 6ft. I am plenty strong, but my body fat needs to get in check. I am pretty knowledge about the science behind it. I am looking for beginners tips and tricks you wished you had starting out. I have 3 young kids (who we still need to cook "normal" meals for) and work in an office, so I need to take that into account for meal prep. Ideally I would make meals for the week on Sunday night. Anyone successful with this? Hang ups? Snake oil?

ETA:  I added the poll just to see how many people are doing keto.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I lost 150lbs in 18 months, back to my college weight

it does work
cooking at home makes it work, everything in the "world" is all carbs, all the time.

www.reddit.com/r/keto

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I've thought about doing it myself....

Just can't decide if it's right for me or not.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Works good when I did it but not MY preferred diet to maintain strength.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:

it does work
cooking at home makes it work, everything in the "world" is all carbs, all the time.

www.reddit.com/r/keto

View Quote

I'd like to be down 50lbs. I am not a picky eater so that should help.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MyName1sMud:

View Quote

Agreed. Some of the big questions I have are can it be done relatively cheap and what's the cycle for staying in ketosis? I know you have to come out periodically with a carbon heavy meal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Stoney0102:

Agreed. Some of the big questions I have are can it be done relatively cheap and what's the cycle for staying in ketosis? I know you have to come out periodically with a carbon heavy meal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You don't have to come out periodically, or ever. Shit coming out sucks for me, bloating, diarrhea, feel hungover. Some people practice CKD or TKD which involves targeted carbs or cyclical.

As for cheap, we eat alot of bone in pork chops, the "cheap" ones with lots of marbling, dark meat, and fat. Pan fried and deglazed with apple cider vinegar and butter.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Avidrook] [#7]
I have a question if I may about this diet

How does a high fat diet affect cholesterol?

Is it age dependent?

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
After many years of insulin resistance causing inflammation.............discovery of keto, quite by accident was the fountain of youth for my 62 YO body.

I am way healthier than many active peers and bloodwork is perfect.

Inflammation is rare and I lost a ton of weight, 75lbs

So many other benefits, like great sex, healed prostate, skin, hair...

I get a cold maybe every 2-3 years is max ailment.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#9]
I tried it last month, went from 199 to 183 in a month.  Would have lost more fat if I hadn't drank carb-free tequila I substituted for beer.  It's carb free, but the calories in alcohol are the first thing the body burns for fuel, even ahead of sugar.  But, I at least would stay in ketosis and go back to burning fat after the alcohol was metabolized.

I've tried it before a couple years ago, but things went better this time because I didn't get the "keto flu" (foggy, hangover-like feeling in your head when your body transitions from using glucose from carbs to ketones from fat).

I didn't get it because I supplemented with potassium citrate, ate more salt by adding it to warm water, and took calcium magnesium supplements.  Ketosis drains you of electrolytes which causes the weird flu-like symptoms.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I quit my first attempt at keto because I was sicky of the foggy head.

Making a lot of meals ahead of time and boxing it up helped a lot.  I'd make 5 2-egg omelets and bake a bunch of bacon on Sunday evenings.  That would be my mid-meal, along with avocados, I'd eat 4 hours between breakfast and lunch.

Make sure the main macronutrient you eat is fat, something like 70% of your calories.  This is probably the hardest thing to do, because it's so weird and you've probably avoided eating so much fat because it's been drilled into your head all your life that fat is bad for you.  

So what I did for fat was lots of avocados, lots of eggs, lots of Kerry Gold grassfed butter, and I made smoothies for my breakfast and lunch that contained 1-2 tablespoons of high quality medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil.  Mixed it with a tablespoon of sunflower lecithin to emulsify it and it is good for the brain and liver.  Regular soy lecithin is sticky granules and it doesn't blend very well.  Sunflower lecithin is a fine powder and works great.  This was an easy way to accurately measure and control how much fat & protein I ate (I also used whey protein in the smoothies).

Don't eat too much protein.  Don't eat like you're a body builder where they eat 1-2 grams protein per lb of lean body mass.  If you eat that much protein, the liver converts some of it to glucose, which is not what you want, because the body will stop converting your fat into ketones for your body and brain to burn.

What else?  I intermittently fasted, which means I had 3 meals in an 8 hour window after waking up, and then didn't eat for the rest of the day (16 hours, including sleep).  No snacks.

I usually wasn't hungry when I ate my midpoint meal of an omelet, bacon and avocado, but I ate anyway.  If I ever started getting hungry in the evening, I'd add more fat to my lunch smoothie the next day.  Eating broccoli seemed to help fill me up too.

I broke the diet because I really wanted a pizza.  I was surprised after eating half of a small one, I was still in ketosis the next day.  You can use a breathalyzer to check for the presence of acetone in your breath, which means there are a lot of ketones in your blood at the moment.  The pee strips are basically useless.  You can also just smell when you're in ketosis; your BO smells different in a way you've never smelled it.  You'll see.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By raven:
I tried it last month, went from 199 to 183 in a month.  Would have lost more fat if I hadn't drank carb-free tequila I substituted for beer.  It's carb free, but the calories in alcohol are the first thing the body burns for fuel, even ahead of sugar.  But, I at least would stay in ketosis and go back to burning fat after the alcohol was metabolized.

I've tried it before a couple years ago, but things went better this time because I didn't get the "keto flu" (foggy, hangover-like feeling in your head when your body transitions from using glucose from carbs to ketones from fat).

I didn't get it because I supplemented with potassium citrate, ate more salt by adding it to warm water, and took calcium magnesium supplements.  Ketosis drains you of electrolytes which causes the weird flu-like symptoms.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I quit my first attempt at keto because I was sicky of the foggy head.

Making a lot of meals ahead of time and boxing it up helped a lot.  I'd make 5 2-egg omelets and bake a bunch of bacon on Sunday evenings.  That would be my mid-meal, along with avocados, I'd eat 4 hours between breakfast and lunch.

Make sure the main macronutrient you eat is fat, something like 70% of your calories.  This is probably the hardest thing to do, because it's so weird and you've probably avoided eating so much fat because it's been drilled into your head all your life that fat is bad for you.  

So what I did for fat was lots of avocados, lots of eggs, lots of Kerry Gold grassfed butter, and I made smoothies for my breakfast and lunch that contained 1-2 tablespoons of high quality medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil.  Mixed it with a tablespoon of sunflower lecithin to emulsify it and it is good for the brain and liver.  Regular soy lecithin is sticky granules and it doesn't blend very well.  Sunflower lecithin is a fine powder and works great.  This was an easy way to accurately measure and control how much fat & protein I ate (I also used whey protein in the smoothies).

Don't eat too much protein.  Don't eat like you're a body builder where they eat 1-2 grams protein per lb of lean body mass.  If you eat that much protein, the liver converts some of it to glucose, which is not what you want, because the body will stop converting your fat into ketones for your body and brain to burn.

What else?  I intermittently fasted, which means I had 3 meals in an 8 hour window after waking up, and then didn't eat for the rest of the day (16 hours, including sleep).  No snacks.
I usually wasn't hungry when I ate my midpoint meal of an omelet, bacon and avocado, but I ate anyway.  If I ever started getting hungry in the evening, I'd add more fat to my lunch smoothie the next day.  Eating broccoli seemed to help fill me up too.

I broke the diet because I really wanted a pizza.  I was surprised after eating half of a small one, I was still in ketosis the next day.  You can use a breathalyzer to check for the presence of acetone in your breath, which means there are a lot of ketones in your blood at the moment.  The pee strips are basically useless.  You can also just smell when you're in ketosis; your BO smells different in a way you've never smelled it.  You'll see.

View Quote

I really appreciate the info. My wife is worried about having to make some involved 2nd meal for me. However I  can eat anything and would be fine with a meat fat veggie gruel. Hardest part for me would be giving up ice cream (and the occasional scotch).
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]

I really appreciate the info. My wife is worried about having to make some involved 2nd meal for me. However I  can eat anything and would be fine with a meat fat veggie gruel. Hardest part for me would be giving up ice cream (and the occasional scotch).
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By raven:

It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing.  I drank quite a bit of tequila and still lost 15 lbs in a month.

Maybe there's a keto-friendly full fat, sugar-free ice cream out there.  I didn't look.  Most "diet" ice creams aim at being low-cal and made with low fat.  I generally avoided dairy except for butter, because lactose is a form of sugar.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: forker] [#12]
Here is the most important bits I have learned from being a month in:

1) Download My Fitness Pal (MFP) and set it up using the tool it contains to meet your weight-loss goal. Then, change the macros in MFP to allocate the calories 70 percent to fat, 25 percent to protein, and 5 percent to carbohydrates. Enter what you have eaten, and it counts down your macros for you. Its database of foods is quite extensive, and you can even enter your own recipes to it.

2) Your protein goal is mandatory. You have to hit it everyday, or you risk losing muscle mass.  A small amount more is OK, but a lot more is risky, because some can be converted to carbs.

3) Your carbs macro is a limit. Never exceed it by much or at all. If you do, occasionally, it can throw you out of ketosis. If you have a sweet tooth, get some liquid Stevia to sweeten the things you just have to have sweetened. It is calorie- and carb-free and very versatile.

4) Your fat macro is a suggestion. You do not need to hit it, but it is there to make sure you never feel hungry. Add fat to your protein as needed to avoid feeling hungry between meals. You will quickly learn how and how much. Have convenient and tasty fat sources. I make up a batch of Hollandaise and a batch of aioli to use as necessary to make my proteins more fat-rich, as necessary.

5) Set up your own recipes within MFP for all the common things you will eat, that includes everything in it. Make one for scrambled eggs, for example, and make a big batch to get you through the week.

6) Standardize at least two meals of the day, so you can make big batches, pack or eat them, and go. I have a standard breakfast of avocado piled with scrambled eggs and salsa that is really satisfying and quick to assemble. Same with my coffee and cream. Same for two standardized lunches. I can pack and be gone very quickly. Make ht food satisfying with fat, and after a bit of adaptation, you will enjoy every bite but be completely ate when the portion is done.

7) Plug your standard breakfast and standard lunches into MFP, and the app will tell what's left for supper. I often can't eat what all is left for supper, and that makes you lose weight even faster.

Do it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
It's easy to do, doesn't cost much. I don't meal prep.

Go as low as you can on carbs to start. Less than 15g a day will get you into it quick.

Make sure to get lots of electrolytes.

I usually eat eggs with butter for breakfast, baked chicken for lunch and whatever meat my wife makes for dinner.

I do TKD because I drink a shake with carbs after I workout.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:46:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thormx538] [#14]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

Is it age dependent?

View Quote

Total cholesterol goes up, generally.

That's not a bad thing though. Cholesterol is very important for the body, and eating low amounts of dietary cholesterol just forces your body to make more.

When you look at the actual lipid profile of your total cholesterol (total LDL/HDL/VLDL, LDL-C, etc..), it improves on keto. HDL goes up which is good, and while total LDL generally remains the same, the ratio of larger "neutral" LDL particles to smaller "bad" LDL particles goes up, which is a good thing.

Also, inb4 Geohans, lol
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By thormx538:

That's not a bad thing though. Cholesterol is very important for the body, and eating low amounts of dietary cholesterol just forces your body to make more.

When you look at the actual lipid profile of your total cholesterol (total LDL/HDL/VLDL, LDL-C, etc..), it improves on keto. HDL goes up which is good, and while total LDL generally remains the same, the ratio of larger "neutral" LDL particles to smaller "bad" LDL particles goes up, which is a good thing.

Also, inb4 Geohans, lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thormx538:

Is it age dependent?

Also, inb4 Geohans, lol

As an aside, I have 2 kids with a syndrome where their bodies can't produce cholesterol. They are supplemented with egg yokes or powder cholesterol.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Tried to find an existing thread to post in and this one seemed most appropriate:

Has anyone out there tried Ketone "boosters" (like KetoCaNa or Keto//OS?)  Basically to jumpstart ketosis by supplementing Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB)?

I was at a grad party for my buddy's daughter last night and his BIL has been using Keto//OS and absolutely raved about it.  Just trying to figure out if this stuff is hype or not and am receiving mixed reviews on the net.

This of course would be in addition to my existing exercise routine and diet which is keto"esque".

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

That's a myth,   you never have to.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Is it age dependent?

View Quote

Trigs way down,  HDL stable or up,  LDL coverts  to inert large particle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan_Gray] [#20]
Originally Posted By WrenchBender:
Tried to find an existing thread to post in and this one seemed most appropriate:

Has anyone out there tried Ketone "boosters" (like KetoCaNa or Keto//OS?)  Basically to jumpstart ketosis by supplementing Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB)?

I was at a grad party for my buddy's daughter last night and his BIL has been using Keto//OS and absolutely raved about it.  Just trying to figure out if this stuff is hype or not and am receiving mixed reviews on the net.

This of course would be in addition to my existing exercise routine and diet which is keto"esque".

View Quote

Snake oil unless you're already fat adapted and cramming for finals or an endurance event.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
We have been on the diet for over 2 years at my DRs sugestion.
www.ruled.me is a great site.
Bulletproof coffee makes for an easy breakfast.
I have a few macadamia nuts for lunch.
Most dinners are grass fed beef with spinach etc.

I would convert the house to keto.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]

it does work

www.reddit.com/r/keto

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MNSwede:

This
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MNSwede:

it does work

www.reddit.com/r/keto

This

+1

If everyone is on the same page, you will have better success.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Diet works for me big time.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Friend of mine did it.

He looked great....lost a lot of weight. Almost had a six pack again.

...........and found out his cholesterol had shot up to 300!!!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Is it age dependent?

View Quote

You do NOT go high fat if you are trying to lose fat. The whole idea is to get your body to use its fat stores instead of giving it dietary fat.
your macros will look like: under 20 grams of carbs, 1.1 grams protein to LEAN body weight (higher is okay), the rest is fat but the fat is not a goal you need to hit like protein.
make sense?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By RANGER_556:

Friend of mine did it.

View Quote

Total means jack shit. Ratio is what matters.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By Solace22:
You do NOT go high fat if you are trying to lose fat. The whole idea is to get your body to use its fat stores instead of giving it dietary fat.

your macros will look like: under 20 grams of carbs, 1.1 grams protein to LEAN body weight (higher is okay), the rest is fat but the fat is not a goal you need to hit like protein.

make sense?
View All Quotes

Is it age dependent?

make sense?

No..

You cannot go that high on protein and be in good ketosis. 70% of calories from fat and you will still piss off fat. Fat is the main goal. Without it you will not be in ketosis. Protein will be converted into glucose when consumed in excess. Ketosis is muscle sparing, and it as hitting 25% of caloric intake will allow gains easily.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:
Friend of mine did it.

View Quote

Did his doc give him any scientific studies as to why that's bad?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:

No..
You cannot go that high on protein and be in good ketosis. 70% of calories from fat and you will still piss off fat. Fat is the main goal. Without it you will not be in ketosis. Protein will be converted into glucose when consumed in excess. Ketosis is muscle sparing, and it as hitting 25% of caloric intake will allow gains easily.
View All Quotes

Is it age dependent?

make sense?

No..
"ketogains" on Facebook has some ripped, built, people.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#31]

No..
View All Quotes

Is it age dependent?

make sense?

No..

yes you can. protein doesnt effect ketosis. fat doesnt cause ketosis either. lack of carbs do = ketosis.
Protein doesnt equal cake
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
View All Quotes

Is it age dependent?

make sense?

No..

ask Luis Villasenor if eating high protein will kick you from ketosis. Ask him if fat is a ceiling or a goal (concerning fat loss). I already know what he is going to say.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Keto is great. Lost 45ish pounds doing it. That said, I don't particularly enjoy it as I am a big craft beer fan, among other foods. It does what it's supposed to, shreds fat. Now that I'm around my goal weight I am more lax and enjoy my beer, Cajun food and ice cream 1-2 days a week. Easily maintaining 185lbs, lifting 5-6 days a week. Cardio sometimes.

Do it OP.

Before, 230ish

" />

That was last summer.

Yesterday, 186lbs:
" />
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#34]

ask Luis Villasenor if eating high protein will kick you from ketosis. Ask him if fat is a ceiling or a goal (concerning fat loss). I already know what he is going to say.
View All Quotes

Is it age dependent?

make sense?

No..

I used the keto gains calculator to get my macros. I would argue there is nothing to gain from going above 30% cal intake from protein. Diminishing returns and fat is cheaper than protein. Unless you're running gear you aren't going to be building muscle fast enough to need that much protein.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Many people it won't.   Some very metabolically damaged people can go out for a bit if they eat a massive steak or several chicken breasts, etc AND aren't building a muscular need.   I've always considered dietary fat the tool to keep yourself full and cut down on intake level and frequency.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Many people it won't.   Some very metabolically damaged people can go out for a bit if they eat a massive steak or several chicken breasts, etc AND aren't building a muscular need.   I've always considered dietary fat the tool to keep yourself full and cut down on intake level and frequency.
View All Quotes

And taking into consideration most people going on keto aren't working out much if at all, large protein intake isn't necessary. The goal is keeping them full and sated, which keeps them compliant and on the diet.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#37]

And taking into consideration most people going on keto aren't working out much if at all, large protein intake isn't necessary. The goal is keeping them full and sated, which keeps them compliant and on the diet.
View All Quotes

I kept my intake around 200-220 a day to keep muscle loss to a minimum while lifting. I did however lose strength. Deadlift dropped from 475 at 230 to 405 at 185.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

exactly.  No need exists,  so why do it.  I shoot for 80 grams a day,  110 if I'm working out
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:

I kept my intake around 200-220 a day to keep muscle loss to a minimum while lifting. I did however lose strength. Deadlift dropped from 475 at 230 to 405 at 185.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:

Performance always drops during adaptation.    It comes back,  with a vengence.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I lost 30 lbs or fat while in keto eating 200+ grams of protein a day. All my lifts are either the same or higher. I work out a lot.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Going to make pizza tonight:

http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pepperoni-pizza/

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:27:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#42]

Originally Posted By BUCK1911:

We have been on the diet for over 2 years at my DRs sugestion.

www.ruled.me is a great site.

Bulletproof coffee makes for an easy breakfast.

I have a few macadamia nuts for lunch.

Most dinners are grass fed beef with spinach etc.

I would convert the house to keto.

View Quote

I can't find a doctor here that won't yell at me.

My thread in Team (9 pages so far, if anyone is interested) is: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_75/1857273_A_boring_thread___my_keto_diet_metrics_UPDATE_6_06__Just_more_boring_metrics_added__.html

And there's a Keto Lifestyle Recipe thread here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_163/1869661_Keto_lifestyle_recipe_thread_.html

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By davisac:

http://i.imgur.com/K9Nz3kF.jpg
View Quote

It's not awful!

Best advice is to let the crust cook a few minutes before putting the toppings on.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I'm just telling you what luis will tell you he is the keto guru. He runs the ketogains website. Fat I'd the lever. High protein is fine and doesn't turn into sugar.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#45]
One thing that bears repeating, OP.

I've been in ketosis for over two months now, eating about a 30% calorie deficit from my BMR....

AND I'M NEVER HUNGRY.

It really is amazing when you learn that carbs cause hunger, and fats make it go away.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By davisac:

http://i.imgur.com/K9Nz3kF.jpg
View Quote

2000 calories!!! Yes I would eat it all!!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm 6'2". Started at 245 and was 220 this morning.  Been on keto for a couple of months.  Got my weight down, my blood sugar down, and got off my diabetes medicines.

Step one is getting your mind right.  You know it has to be done, now it's just doing it.  It'll be tougher with other peeps in the house still eating carbs but you can drop some keto on them and reduce carb purchases.  Work that out a bit at a time.

I must have watched over 100 hrs of youtube lectures and videos from the best minds in keto-world.  Some not so bright bulbs, too, but you never know until you watch.  Watch over and over if you have to.  Research for more info and links to even more.  Keeps your motivation up.

Realize early that it isn't calories in/calories out.  Eating fat does not make you fat.  And, you don't need to eat at any specific time.  Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day.  And remember, the longest fast has been over 300 days.  You don't NEED to eat every day.

Between cutting carbs to basically nothing, keeping protein to a moderate amount, and using intermittent fasting, it's been a great success.

Fatty steaks, fatty meats, coconut oil, full fat butter, eggs.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ItWasntMe:
Step one is getting your mind right.  You know it has to be done, now it's just doing it.  It'll be tougher with other peeps in the house still eating carbs but you can drop some keto on them and reduce carb purchases.  Work that out a bit at a time.
View Quote

Having tried both keto and paleo it was a lot easier for me personally to give up carbs on keto. After the first couple days, I haven't ever been really hungry.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By ARDog:

After many years of insulin resistance causing inflammation.............discovery of keto, quite by accident was the fountain of youth for my 62 YO body.

I am way healthier than many active peers and bloodwork is perfect.

Inflammation is rare and I lost a ton of weight, 75lbs

So many other benefits, like great sex, healed prostate, skin, hair...

I get a cold maybe every 2-3 years is max ailment.

View Quote

I can attest to the anti-inflammation properties of the keto diet as well.  I have a foot injury from my childhood that has now turned into arthritis in a toe.  Last summer just mowing the yard would have it inflamed so bad that I could barely put pressure on my foot.  An ice bath and diclofenac reduced the pain enough that I could hobble around. I also seemed to have swollen sinuses or allergies all the time.  About a month into the keto diet, which I checked multiple times a day using the strips, I noticed my foot didn't really hurt.  I could mow the yard and I my foot would be sore but not hurting, much less having me rush to plunge it into a bucket of ice water to stop the inflammation from getting worse.  It wasn't until I fell out of ketosis during a stressful time where I carb binged that I realized my sinuses had been feeling great.  It was only an hour or two after the carb binge that I felt my sinuses starting to swell and breathing through my nose had a slight restriction.

If anyone is going to pursue the keto diet the keto test strips are a great way to monitor your progress and to keep yourself honest.  You can lie to yourself and believe that pizza you ate didn't have that many carbs but the test strips will tell you the truth and if you are still in ketosis.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Keto is like Crossfit.  You'll find a bunch of guys who tell you it's the only way to lose weight.

Although my diet is very similar to a keto diet, I would say a healthy does of exercise and a low-carb lifestyle should suffice for most people looking to shred some fat.  I lost 30 lbs and have kept it off for the past 2.5 years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top