Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:53:34 PM EDT
Don't dismiss me as a basher - I had the original Oakley's back around 1980 - GREAT glasses.

Eyeshades

Back even before the Blades.....

Hell, I SOLD Oakley's for years.......

My last pair SUCK.   M-Frames - which cracked once, got it replaced, now they are cracked again - and cracked the lenses with it.

They've been well cared for, but cracked frames were common when Oakley got too big for their britches and started cranking the prices and dropping the quality.

Also, the lenses now scratch real easy.   I used to wipe mud off my 1st pair with a dry t-shirt!

So, any experience with warranty?   I certainly don't have a receipt anymore........
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I returned a broken pair, my style was not made anymore. They gave me $50 towards a new pair of my choice.  Before that, it was like $20 and they would send you new frames. I don't think they warranty lenses.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Last time I returned a broken pair, my style was not made anymore. They gave me $50 towards a new pair of my choice.  Before that, it was like $20 and they would send you new frames. I don't think they warranty lenses.

$50 toward another pair of overpriced CRAP.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Had to do the warranty thing twice, once without a receipt. I stepped on my Square Wire 2.0 with spring hinges. Cost $35.00 and they polished the lenses and put them in new frames for me. Quick turnaround too. *shrug*
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 11 pairs of different styles (2 are M-Frame)  I have sent things in in the past  (in and out of warranty) and I have never had a problem with them at all.  I have recieved them back fixed or replaced and all has been well.  I currently use an Oakley M-Frame Shooting Array 3-4 times a week when I trap shoot.

Call them, get an RMA.  If they are out of warranty, they will ask you to include a $35.00 check for "inspection".  Send them off and see what happens.  You can also call customer service and let them know of your discontent about the seemingly weakewr finish and possibly they will wave the inspection fee.  They have always done right by me in the past.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
ARen't you guys having scratching issues?

My scratched up even using polishing clothes.

My Eyeshades I could literally scrape hardened mud off with a dry shirt w/out scratching.

I used those for YEARS bicycle on road and off.

Wish I still had them......  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
What's a quality alternative? Wiley-X?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My low-end Oakleys aren't  quite wide enough for my head. What's worse is that every time I rub the lenses- not scratch or wipe off with my shirt, but merely reach up and bump the lense with my finger- the reflective blue tint comes off. God forbid I actually use my shirt to wipe some dust off the lenses, they'd be 100% transparent!

I need some metal-frame Oakleys with the blue mirror lenses. Ones that don't suck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I only use microfiber cloths to clean my lenses......I have yet to ever scratch a lens on any of my Oakleys.  I bought my first pair in 1986.  I also clean a couple of them about every other day.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My Eyeshades I could literally scrape hardened mud off with a dry shirt w/out scratching.

I did scratch my standard pair pretty badly, they had been stepped on twice and sat on a number of times so they are back-up now. I liked the square wires so much I bought a titanium pair and then proceeded to step on those. The titianium, however, cost more than $35.00 to replace.

I still had the frames replaced and have not had any scratching issues with the newer ones. Word to the wise- it's a bad idea to keep them in a front shirt pocket. You bend over, glasses come out and crunch.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've caught flying gravel with the lenses on my Juliets while biking, and hot brass casings at the range. Nary a scratch. Dropped, stepped on, sat on...... frame's still ok.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not having that kind of "luck" with my Oakleys.  Love them, and recommend them to shooters and golfers all the time.

I use a shirt, polo, T or dress, very often to clean mine.  No issues with scratching.

I have scratched lenses, but I am pretty careful with them when they are on my face.

Usually I end up dropping them off my hat when they are on my head......

I cracked my original M-Frames earpiece by diving through a 5' wave.  I broke another set of Frogskins on a jetski wipeout.

They offer above average eye protection and very good clarity for the prices I pay....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a $350 pair of Rx Straight Jackets.
They could of at least used some KY and bought me a drink.
They've shrunk the lenses so much to meet "style" desires that they don't perform anymore, too muck light seeps in about the frames because they are too small to fill the gaps.  And this was the largest lens available for Rx lens.

I won't buy anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought these on sunday. GREAT glasses. No problems yet.
oakley.com/o/o1147d
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a pair I've had 2 years or so and besides getting the lenses scratched (my fault) I've had no problem with them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#15]
You have to make sure you use something to remove the dust/sand (Like water or windex) prior using the cleaning bag.  The windex also also takes off the oil from your skin.  Even in the field in Iraq I carried a small spray bottle of glass cleaner to clean my Oakleys and they are still in good shape.

If you are military and want them you need to contact their mil sales, their SI line can be gotten for allot less from them than anywhere else.  The only thing is that they have one price shipping, a set of 15 dollars lenses will cost the same as (20.00) up to 1000 or so dollars worth of merchandise.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
We had a LOT of boaters have BIG problems with the M-Frames cracking.......
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I made a claim about 5 years ago on some oakleys that I had for 4-5 years (e wires? or something like that?). They didn't make that particular style anymore so they upgraded me to the newest version at no cost (other than shipping).

I was very pleased with the whole process and thought it was a great deal. But that was a few years ago and from the other responses it sounds like they may have changed their policy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#19]
They have turned into junk. Used to be good.   Not now.

Suck it up & get Revos.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#20]
If you don't want your glasses to scratch when you clean them, buy glass lenses.  Plastic scratches, be carefull with them.  I've had my Square Wire 2.0 for over 5 years or so.  They have a couple of light scratches but it's my fault.  I either dropped them or simply neglected them for awhile.   I even bent the frames pretty bad once.  Bent them back myself and kept on going.  Oakleys used to be teh sux because all they were when they started was a bent piece of plastic so the optical clarity was one of the worst out there.  Not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Been wearing a pair of Halfjackets for about a year and a half.

The first set of lenses did get a minor scratch, but it was my fault.

Second set of lenses have been in for about four months no problems.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone ever tried plastic polish for the really light scratches? I have a pair I sent in for warranty repair, had a chip in the mirror finish on straight jackets. Charged me $50 for a new pair of glasses and they too are now scratched.
The damn AO Safety Glasses don't scratch as easily as these cheap POS!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Has anyone ever tried plastic polish for the really light scratches? I have a pair I sent in for warranty repair, had a chip in the mirror finish on straight jackets. Charged me $50 for a new pair of glasses and they too are now scratched.
The damn AO Safety Glasses don't scratch as easily as these cheap POS!!!!

I think Oakley ran out of 'Unobtainum'.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I've sent two pairs in and both were replaced.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm waiting on a reply from them right now to see if they'll recoat my prescription lenses in my A Wires.  It seems like the Gold Iridium is wearing off...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I have two pairs of x-metals, no scratching problems at all on either of them.  of course, I had them custom ordered with prescription lenses too, not the standard lenses they normally come with.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I pretty much abuse mine. The only significant scratch I have ever gotten was when I stepped on them while they were laying on the pavement. Made a scratch right over the pupil of my left eye. Had to get new lenses.

But my replacement lens has been just fine. Yes there are scratches on them (I NEVER keep them in their little bag or in their vault. They are always getting tossed all over the place...) but they aren't big scratches and aren't visible to me. The only visible scratch is one that came from a rock traveling at a billion miles an hour. It hit the bottom of my Strike lens and bounced off. Good thing too, or it would have put my eye out.

I am really happy with my Oakleys. They have survived my abuse just fine, and they work great. I wouldn't clean them with sandpaper or anything, but I typically use just soap, warm water and a normal terry cloth towel to clean them.

Which, looking at them, I need to do again. Yuk.

Best glasses I have ever owned. Considering that I used to buy several pair of cheapie glasses every year, even buying a single new Iridium lens for my M-Frames is cheaper than buying cheapo sunglasses several times....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#29]
FWIW I tried every Oakley they had and ALL of them were too tight and would feel constrictive.
I went with Bolle's instead (polarized, out the door less than $120).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#30]
What I don't get why they don't come in different sizes? And which styles fit watermelon-headed folk? And what are the alternatives?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What I don't get why they don't come in different sizes? And which styles fit watermelon-headed folk? And what are the alternatives?

My M frames fit just fine. And I have a big head...I think....I have never really measured anyone else's head against mine....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
We had a LOT of boaters have BIG problems with the M-Frames cracking.......

I've had several frames crack to the right of the center.
I've sent them in and they usually charge $15.00 to replace the frame.
I'm not real happy about that, but I've got a lot invested in lenses and need the frames.

FWIW, the black crack the worst. I've not had ANY problems with the newer frames, in blue, red, or grey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top