Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 8:36:13 AM EDT
Listen to this, I bought a pair of oakley mars sunglasses msrp $300.00 I paid $225.00.
So a year goes by and I dropped them on my counter top about a 6" fall not enough to
break a pair of "xmetal" sunglasses. but the right ear piece snaps off just infront of the
rubber picec that goes on you're ear. This is the thinnest part of the ear piece.

So upon inspecting the two broken pieces I find an air bubble void in the metal right where the
break occured. So I call oakley they say send it in for A "frame evaluation" + $49.00 to pay for
the evaluation, so I do.

4 weeks later I get a phone call stating that "it was my fault that the glasses broke",

well no shit that is why I sent them in.

he then says that they "only cover manufacturers defects"

well I say "what about the air pocket in the frame where the brake occured?"

he says "that is not our fault so there is nothing we can do"

So I say "fine I will just buy another ear piece since it is removable and just replace it"

He says "sorry we can't do that, but we can replace the entire frame for $180.00"

I said "what the hell are you talking about you can replace the entire frame but you can't replace the ear piece?"

he said "nope we can't do just an ear piece plus it will be a different color than the rest of the frame since the new piece will be clean and the rest of the frame will be dirty"

so I said just send them back I am not going to pay another $180.00 for you're shitty Customer Service.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 on shitty cust. svc.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
That's why I don't buy any sunglasses that are more than seven bucks at the gas station.  Anything more expensive is just a butt magnet for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#3]
no more oakleys for me
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
$225 for sunglasses
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#5]
that's unreal...
You pay that much for sunglasses and they're assholes.

I've got a pair as well, but I was fortunate enough that my dog found them in the front yard of my apartment and brought them inside.

Do you happen to know how much new lenses are?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
$225 for sunglasses

yea I feel like a dumb ass now
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
that's unreal...

I've got a pair as well, but I was fortunate enough that my dog found them in the front yard of my apartment and brought them inside.

no sorry
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#8]

I bought a pair of RayBan glasses several years ago.  A few months after I bought them, they dropped out of my pocket and shattered one of the (glass) lenses on a ceramic tile floor.

I sent the glasses in with a note that explained what happened, and asked them to call me with the repair cost and I'd send a check or pay by CC on the phone.

Within two weeks, they were shipped back to me, fixed, free of charge.  Guess what sunglass manufacturer I have recommended ever since?  

Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's unreal...

no sorry

No less than $70 for a darker tint style.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#10]
$70 for a pair of Bolles that look like $300+ polarized Oakleys, and the Bolles are much more comfortable. Oakleys squeeze into your temples like they were 2 sizes too small. They're only made for people with tiny heads.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have to disagree with you. My one experience with Oakley Customer Service was beyond excellent.

I bought a pair of Oakley M frame (frame only) on eBay because I had a spare lens. I wanted to have two complete pairs, one tinted for shooting on sunny days and one clear for regular range time. The lens would not fit into the frames no matter how hard I tried. I called their customer service, explained my situation, and they said "send them in".

Not two weeks later I got a box in the mail, they fixed them somehow.

I was going to post a "I love Oakley Customer Service" thread but forgot to.  

Oakley rocks IMHO.

Edit: Sorry to say but I doubt you dropped them from 6", I don't believe that. Oakleys are solid and quite rugged. There's a reason they're used by the best (instructors, you name it, just pick up a shooting mag and you'll see Oakleys on most everybody... GIs included...)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#12]
In my past history with Oakley I have had great customer. They even sent me a second pair for free because of a crap pair that I had previously bought. I don't wear them nor do I buy them because they cost about the same as a ZO6 Corvette. I'd rather have the Vette myself. Sport some Nike shades. They rock!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have to disagree with you. My one experience with Oakley Customer Service was beyond excellent.

I bought a pair of Oakley M frame (frame only) on eBay because I had a spare lens. I wanted to have two complete pairs, one tinted for shooting on sunny days and one clear for regular range time. The lens would not fit into the frames no matter how hard I tried. I called their customer service, explained my situation, and they said "send them in".

Oakley rocks IMHO.

Edit: Sorry to say but I doubt you dropped them from 6", I don't believe that. Oakleys are solid and quite rugged. There's a reason they're used by the best (instructors, you name it, just pick up a shooting mag and you'll see Oakleys on most everybody... GIs included...)

So upon inspecting the two broken pieces I find an air bubble void in the metal right where the
break occured. So I call oakley they say send it in for A "frame evaluation" + $49.00 to pay for
the evaluation, so I do.

This is why they broke, if the viod was not there then this thread would not exist.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Great customer service is what I meant.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oakley rocks IMHO.

the evaluation, so I do.

This is why they broke, if the viod was not there then this thread would not exist.

Ah, I missed that part!  

Manufacturing defect- should be covered IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I fucking hate those stupid Oakley glasses.

I think you did yourself a favor by breaking these.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Plastic is Plastic.

Try Revelations by Radians. Under 10 bucks. Adjustable temple length and angle. Polycarbonate too. Different lens shades as well. Who cares if you drop them.

M4
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Plastic is Plastic.

Ambiguous statement there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you pay for them using a Gold or Platinum Visa or MasterCharge?  If so, you get an automatic 1 year warranty on stuff you purchase on those cards.  Might be worth pursuing.

I went through a period where I bought som Gargoyles from Dillon for about $60-$80, dont remember the exact price, I'd hang the glass on my front shirt collar when I didn't need them for a spell, then more than once bent over and they'd fall off and break at the nose.  Gargoyle would replace them for a $5 or so shipping fee, finally I got fed up with them and shit canned them.

For great sunglasses, goto Walmart or Target eyeglass section, get some prescription quality frames and lenses but dont get a prescription for the lenses, you can get a decent pair for about $100.  All they have to do is tint the lenses and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oakley rocks IMHO.

the evaluation, so I do.

Ah, I missed that part!  

Manufacturing defect- should be covered IMHO.

no biggie sometimes I read to fast also
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Did you pay for them using a Gold or Platinum Visa or MasterCharge?  If so, you get an automatic 1 year warranty on stuff you purchase on those cards.  Might be worth pursuing.

I went through a period where I bought som Gargoyles from Dillon for about $60-$80, dont remember the exact price, I'd hang the glass on my front shirt collar when I didn't need them for a spell, then more than once bent over and they'd fall off and break at the nose.  Gargoyle would replace them for a $5 or so shipping fee, finally I got fed up with them and shit canned them.

For great sunglasses, goto Walmart or Target eyeglass section, get some prescription quality frames and lenses but dont get a prescription for the lenses, you can get a decent pair for about $100.  All they have to do is tint the lenses and you're good to go.

unfortunately no I just used a debit card
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I love Oakely sunglass, and have heard nothing but glowing reports of their customer service until now. I've never had to send anything back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
$70 for a pair of Bolles that look like $300+ polarized Oakleys, and the Bolles are much more comfortable. Oakleys squeeze into your temples like they were 2 sizes too small. They're only made for people with tiny heads.

I have a set of Bolle's that were about $70.00 and they are no where near the glasses that either of my Oakleys are.

Not all Oakleys fit the same. Some of them are tight on me also.

I have a pair of Pro M Magnesium Frames with Black Iridium Lenses and a pair of Half Jacket's with Gold Iridium Polarized Lenses in them.

I only have 1 set of eyes and I am not going to put them in jeopardy with [ZZ Top]"Cheap Sunglasses!"[/ZZ Top]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#24]
This is the first time I've heard of a bad experience with Oakley. I had a friend that was at the gas station and was filling his tank when the auto-shutoff failed and gasoline sprayed out of the tank when it got full. It got gas all over the lenses of his Oakleys and quickly ate away the coatings.

He sent them in to Oakley and they sent him a new pair free of charge.

That sucks that they treated you so poorly. Makes me wonder if some kind of new change in their policy or structure has caused them to go down hill?

Regardless, for shooting glasses I really wouldn't trust my eyes to anything other than Oakleys. Not only do they have very good impact ratings, but the lenses are free of distortion.

You'd be surprised at the distortion you get in cheap shooting glasses. If you don't believe me next time you're at the range sit at the bench and look down range. Flip your glasses up and then back down over your eyes. Do this several times. I've done this with several different brands of shooting glasses and all of them, but Oakleys, you can see the image shifting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top