Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2010 6:53:42 PM EDT
... that I just can't believe.
His statement, as close as I can remember the wording, is that he has invested in funds that make 12% or more EVERY YEAR, he doesn't know why other people can't find these funds, and he feels sorry for them. Then he backtracked and said that 12% might actually be too conservative. His actual returns were better.

I hope Mr. Ramsey simply misspoke, but he seemed very deliberate.

And then he gave no clue as to what funds those were.
I mention this not because I'd rush into the investments, but without that info, I can't look them up to see if he was telling the truth.

Did anyone else hear him say this? I believe the date was 8-23-10- I was listening to the podcast version.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
please let me know what those funds are
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard that also, I somewhat rolled my eyes over it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I invest in the LeShaun Jackson Neighborhood Pharmaceutical Corporation and Javier Rodriguez Herbal Transport Incorporated.  Both are up way more than 12% this year.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I invest in the LeShaun Jackson Neighborhood Pharmaceutical Corporation and Javier Rodriguez Herbal Transport Incorporated.  Both are up way more than 12% this year.

This is sound advice; I would like to subscribe to your podcast as well.

-Hobbit

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Now we know Dave Ramsey's secret..
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
please let me know what those funds are

Me too!
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#7]
A quick yahoo search revealed 6243 mutual funds that were up over 15% in one year.  You can search funds by return.  I would like to know myself what he is invested in, but surely in his position he can't reveal such things.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
... that I just can't believe.
His statement, as close as I can remember the wording, is that he has invested in funds that make 12% or more EVERY YEAR, he doesn't know why other people can't find these funds, and he feels sorry for them. Then he backtracked and said that 12% might actually be too conservative. His actual returns were better.

I hope Mr. Ramsey simply misspoke, but he seemed very deliberate.

And then he gave no clue as to what funds those were.
I mention this not because I'd rush into the investments, but without that info, I can't look them up to see if he was telling the truth.

Did anyone else hear him say this? I believe the date was 8-23-10- I was listening to the podcast version.

-Hobbit

He's been saying that for years, not just last week.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A quick yahoo search revealed 6243 mutual funds that were up over 15% in one year.  You can search funds by return.  I would like to know myself what he is invested in, but surely in his position he can't reveal such things.

Easy to find during the "recovery".

During the best of markets, it's just not the case.  In the early 00's you could find a few that had access to closed IPO's, but I really don't remember anyone keeping 12%+ performance over a 10 year period.  There may be a few.

But look at it over time to get a real picture.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]
some funds are only available to people willing to put in $500k or $1 Million up front.  He has those kinds of funds to do that.  Yes there are funds that yearly get 12% or better.  I broker has a list of all funds and what they do yearly.  It also shows how much you have to put in as a minimum.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't listened to that day yet, but if been listening to him since May of this year. We have paid off over 10K in debt so far and we will be completely debt free including our house by May of 2010... That is if I can keep from buying more guns and ammo! .  When you are a multi millionaire and you pay cash for everything you purchase, then you can get better then 12% on your investments. I know you said mutual funds. When you can purchase real estate and bank foreclosures in this economy with cash you can get a heck of a return on your money when things pick up and from rentals.  I believe Dave Ramsey is a man of integrity and I have no reason not believe him.  Maybe check out one of his ELP’s that handle mutual funds in your area and they can turn you on to what he is doing. I don’t think is going to talk about it on air.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Plus John White Cold Medicine Company

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#13]
The comment I've heard was money market mutual funds have averaged 12% over the past 70 years. Possible that was it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top