Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 4:34:18 PM EDT
Is there a trick to it?  Does any of that Oxy-crap on TV work?  I just nuked a relatively nice carpet, and its wall to wall, so replacement is out of the question.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used Oxyclean on lots of stuff with pretty good results, just remember to rinse it well, and always blot, never rub.

Here are some other options:
[url]www.fabriclink.com/carpet/Coffee.html[/url]
[url]www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030112/spectrum/sunday.htm[/url]

We had new carpet put all over the house.  Three weeks later while we were out our puppy pulled an orange highliter of my wife's desk and chewed it all over the family room.  Professionals weren't even able to get it up because of the particular ink.  Oh well. The neon eventually faded and you only notice it when the sun is shining on it.

BTW, when it comes to general carpet cleaning, I highly recommend Chem-Dry.  Much better than the steam cleaning.  Expensive but worth it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The thing that works best for me is new carpet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
One word
Blowtorch!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to a wood floor.[:D]
Tell the wife you planed it that way.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
dunk a cream-filled donut in it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
dunk a cream-filled donut in it.
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
well that depends.  do the drapes match the carpet?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
ok, since I am a rug salesman I will chime in.

Two quick definations (sp)

Soil - topical dirt/grease easy to remove

Stain - an unwanted chemical reaction very dificult to undue....Impossible.

Coffee is a great staining agent - it is very hot to open the dye sites on the fiber and has some great dye stuff to make the carpet look bad.  The best thing is to blot as fast as you can and then bring in a expert to spot clean.  you may be able to dye the carpet depending on the stlye/color/ and quality.

Most new carpet have topical stain treatments that will help protect the carpet until you do your first hot water extraction cleaning.

Good luck

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Mix one teaspoon of a mild detergent (such as Dawn) with one cup of luke-warm water.  Blot.  Mix 1/3 cup of white vinegar with 2/3 cup water. Blot.  Sponge with clean water.  Blot.

Or you can try Greased Lightning.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top