Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2001 7:05:53 AM EST
I am looking at buying a particular wall hanger, that the seller says is a circa 1850 Kentucky rifle converted from flint to percussion. As I am a rookie when it comes to old collectible muzzleloaders, can anyone give me a heads up of what to look for??? It DOES NOT have a patchbox, wood is in "good" condition, with a little pitting around the breech. otherwise in good shape. Seller is asking $450. Any thoughts????
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:32:25 AM EST
I'm long-time NMLRA . . .maybe I can help.... If it's been converted, it doesn't have a lot of collector value. It's hard (as with any rifle) to put a value on in sight-unseen, or without more data. Offhand, it sounds a little high if all you want is a wall hanger. If you want, I can point you toward resources that could tell you more....let me know. And btw...drop a ramrod down the bore before you start fussing with it...some of those old ones were left loaded, and they'll go off after 50 years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 7:41:11 AM EST
Celt - I'd DEFINITELY be interested in any resources you might be able to hook me up with. Thanks. Anything else out there is a thousand dollars. Which is a little pricey, to me. My understanding is that lots of them were converted. The lock is engraved "Henry Parker Warranted" which by my limited search, was a common lock maker of the day. E-mail me, so we can discuss further. thanks.
Top Top