Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/24/2002 3:27:25 PM EDT
I was wondering if I get a VA dl, will they try to take a chunk of my military seperations pay, even though my W-2 has my old FLA address on it. I renewed my FLA residency after I joined the military, and have been a resident of FLA ever since. But now that I'm out, I'm living in VA, and am looking for a job here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:35:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:12:35 PM EDT
I know that if I get a job that I will be libal for what those wages are, but I just wonder if they will try to hit my seps pay. Know any CPA's who visit this site??
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:43:38 AM EDT
I believe any income is taxable. Also if you have a car or boat you may have to pay property tax on it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:02:26 PM EDT
You should probably consult an accountant or tax lawyer. VA has some specific rules about non-residents that earn income in VA and how it is treated for VA income tax purposes. My best guess is that you will have to file 2 state returns (one for each state) and pay tax on a pro-rata basis based on how long you were in each state. I moved mid-2000 from MA to VA. I had to file 2 state returns. I paid MA tax on the income I earned there, and VA tax on the income I earned here in VA.
Top Top