Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 5:22:22 PM EDT
I'm now beyond the point of no return...
I've invested HOURS, literally HOURS of my time loading software, downloading updates, installing Norton anti-virus crap, signing on to Verizon DSL service, calling for support, etc...

NOW THE FUCKIN THING CRASHES !!!

Beyond restoration...

Now I need to go through the master recovery CD and restore the computer back to factory settings...

I'm guessing the main problem is, I'm plagued with Windows 98 1st edition as the operating system...

A buddy of mine (who's a network engineer) tells me to shitcan the Win98 and go buy the WinXP software for $125...

When will this end ???

Between all the time and money spent, I honestly don't see where a computer is more efficient than a paper and pencil...

Forgot to mention...

I'm on the trusty ole WebTV again now...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
My Win98 crashed twice and was buggy most of the time.

Got a new Dell tower for Christmas with WinXP and it has been very smooth.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Ever consider linux?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a Senior Systems Integration Engineer.  Other experts, my mom, and I all agree:  Windows 98 sucks ass.

If your hardware supports it, we all recommend that you spend the money and upgrade to XP or Windows 2000, either the home or Professional edition of either.

How many hours of your grief is $125 worth, really?

[50]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three spare machines in the basement right now.  I recycle, network, admin and do the regular sales engineering stuff that I am supposed to do at work.  Anyway I have been through a lot of machines and winME, min98(1st) are terrible OSs.  My favorite is win2000 then win98SE.  I have a burned OEM version of Win2k that I found on kaza or something that I use when I build a machine to make sure that it works.  You can still find a DSP version of win2k for less than winxp.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.searchy.nl/tux/download_tux.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have Windows 2000, it works great.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one WinTel box at home so that I can work on stuff here and send it back to work.

The garbage that Billy the Kid's company puts out is beyond crap.

My real computers use Linux or IRIX.

EBS
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Windows 98 does suck ass.

Windows XP is a lot stabler. I don't like the activation part.

I'm wondering if your pc has the specs to handle XP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have Windows 2000, it works great.
View Quote

yup yup
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Art, sending you an IM.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#12]
HELLO PEOPLE!

Dragracer_Art if I remember correctly, is a novice. He sure the hell is not going to want to mess with Linux.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Still using win98SE, and dreading XP since it latches on the HDD, and that registration crapolla
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Been running 98 for a long time  with  very little trouble.  I think it's the Second Edition versionn.

Windows, ME, though, is really bad, from what I'm told.   Is that the same as Windows 2000?  You would think so, but sensible conclusions are not always correct when it comes to software.

Then the other day, my neighbor was messing with his computer, and he is running XP, and happened to mentiojn the size of his swap drive--- something ridiculous, like over a gig.  Yikes!!  

The the security guy at work told me that XP makes all kinds of info about your computer available to hackers, Microsoft, etc.   Is this true??

Not sure I want to upgrade....
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Been running 98 for a long time  with  very little trouble.  I think it's the Second Edition versionn.

Windows, ME, though, is really bad, from what I'm told.   Is that the same as Windows 2000?  You would think so, but sensible conclusions are not always correct when it comes to software.

Then the other day, my neighbor was messing with his computer, and he is running XP, and happened to mentiojn the size of his swap drive--- something ridiculous, like over a gig.  Yikes!!  

The the security guy at work told me that XP makes all kinds of info about your computer available to hackers, Microsoft, etc.   Is this true??
View Quote

2000 is a completely different animal compared to the 9x/ME garbage.

Your swap file should be directly related to how much RAM you have.  If you max it out in your PC, you can easily hit a 1 GB swap.

The last comment is anti-MS BS.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#16]
$125!?!?!?!?

Find someone that works at MS and have them get it for 10%.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#17]
you can pick up Xp at bestbuy for $90
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#18]
i heard you can download XP using Kazaa and get the cd key off a number of websites on the internet.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey [size=6][b] MY SOLUTION IS LEGAL[/b][/size=6]

Try knoppix ( [url]www.knoppix.org[/url]) before you buy xp. Knoppix will autodetect aour hardware and start a nice graphical user interface so that you can see that everything works ok. If you wish you can then install it to the hard drive.

What is the worst that can happen? You waste a cd-r?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Of all the 98 versions 98se has been the best for me(course I'm on an old 900 Mgzt AMD thunderbird) I have been running ME for about a year now as I needed something with a bigger data base for drivers!

I have no probs with ME except it has no defrag funtions which I always used with 98SE after deleting many files!

If like Mike suggested tell him what kind of CPU and system you have then more help can come your way!   If and older say 500 to 1gig system (AMD) 98 SE might be the best way to go!

If you are running 98 1st,or 98SE then if you are using IE it will have to be below 6.0(4.7 netscape)  IE 6.0 or above only works well with XP,or 2000!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i heard you can download XP using Kazaa and get the cd key off a number of websites on the internet.

View Quote
there are warez versions of Xp available, but you CANNOT do any updates, i wouldn't recommend getting it off of kazaa though, too easy to stick viruses in such large downloads, if you wanna 'try before buy' try sharereactor, they use only verified files
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#22]
It all depends on what key you use for the install. I used a key generator that allowes me to get all the updates I want.

NOTE: The number of copies of xp and the number of lisceces in my house is equal. Windows xp personel edition is a bitch to use if you switch hardware often, while corpate edition does not have those problems.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a Mac. Zero problems.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#24]
HA !!!!

I'm back online !!!

I blew out the memory with the master recovery disc, drove to Wal-mart, bought Windows XP,($99) installed it, installed my DSL software, and WHAMMO !!

What a totally new look !

So far so good...

Nothing caught fire yet.[:D]

BTW...

Thanks for the offers to help guys.

I got it squared away before I had the chance to read the thread.
(I ran to Wally world right after starting the thread.)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#26]
You won't regret it.  Once you get rid of the stupid new crap they put in you'll feel right at home.

[url]annoyances.org[/url]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell, I like it better already.

It's got that "colorfull / fruity" look. [:D]

Norton Internet Security is already installed.
I feel safe now.

Off to the dragstrip to see if we're any faster than before. [url]www.dslreports.com[/url]

Here's a link to the test results page...
[url]ny-monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/block:1b64af7?service=dsl&speed=&os=winXP&via=winXPpppoe[/url]

*Edit to add...

Dragstrip test results showed a 720/139 down/up speed...

Not too bad. [:D]

Here's a copy/paste of the test results page.
Maybe some of you computer experts can decipher the mumbo jumbo...

Your Tweakable Settings:
Receive Window (RWIN):  64800
Window Scaling:  off
Path MTU Discovery:  ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling:  OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping:  OFF
Selective Acks:  ON
MSS requested:  1440
TTL:  unknown
TTL remaining:  112

Notes and recommendations:
Check FAQ on MTU for XP (FAQ #2252)
Input line speed for RWIN recommendation
Looking good

Example 146000 byte download
Actual data bytes sent: 146000
Actual data packets: 102
Max packet sent (MTU): 1480
Max packet recd (MTU): 1480
Retransmitted data packets: 0
sacks you sent: 2
pushed data pkts: 5
data transmit time: 1.000 secs
our max idletime: 117.0 ms
transfer rate: 70097 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 560 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 100%

Good data stream (no/few rexmits)

ICMP (ping) check
Target unpingable

Become pingable
if you need basic packet loss tests done
Check tweak FAQ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top