Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2005 2:40:00 AM EDT
   The single life sucks and im trying to figure out where im going wrong. I work nights so it's hard to meet people so ive been on Cupid.com and have had mixed results, but I have also made some good friends. Tell me what you think of my profile if you dont mind. It's right here.

Everything that's writin there is just me. No lies, or exagerations or anything, just and old school romantic/gentleman.

Do I sound like an ok guy? I know im not a hot guy but I dont think im ugly. Just be honest with me weather it's good or bad.

Thanks in advance.  

UPDATE: Made some changes in the "about me" section.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
you sound/are fine

patience, grasshopper
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds really good to me. I can see though a woman thinking "It's to good to be true".   KWIM?
The right girl will come along, like D_C says, patience grasshopper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds great for a serial killer.   J/K, j/k, j/k!

Sounds pretty good to me.  

I am not the best speller and my grammar stinks, but yours is a tiny bit worse than mine.  Might want to run a spell check and throw in an apostrophe here and there (it's I'm, not im).

I'm guessing that you wanted honesty, so here goes: If I were single and reading your profile I might question the "I am ready to settle down and be the husband/father I know I can be" because it says in your profile that you already are a father, yet you don't mention your child in the "about me" section.  First question that would come to my mind would be "Why isn't he 'the father he knows he can be' with the child he already has?"  Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make it sound better.  (Don't ya just hate it when people point out a problem yet have no suggestion for a solution? )  OH, and I'm not picking on the situation because I know lots of people are in the same boat, I'm just saying it doesn't sound quite right. KWIM?

Anyway, I hope it works out for you and I hope you find a nice lady soon.    Hang in there!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think it gives a lot of information about who you are.  It tells how you behave around women but it doesn't give a lot insight about what you're like and what you like to do.  It sounds a bit like you're trying too hard to find someone [telling them what they want to hear].

Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a stickler for grammar and punctuation..it's a major turnoff.  I know that's petty, but if you can't come across in a singles ad as intelligent, what am I supposed to think about the real you?

Other than that it sounds like you're too good to be true, and it's lucky I don't live in Texas....

You might want to mention somes things you like to do, also, like Patty said.  What do you do for fun?  And, I know this is a gun forum..but don't go GUNG HO into guns, like that's ALL you do.  Say something like "I'm into shooting sports (and just let it go at that), but also put something else...hiking?  movies?  whatever else.

Just my .02.  Other than that..looks good.  And you're very attractive, fyi.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a stickler for grammar and punctuation..it's a major turnoff.  I know that's petty, but if you can't come across in a singles ad as intelligent, what am I supposed to think about the real you?

Other than that it sounds like you're too good to be true, and it's lucky I don't live in Texas....

You might want to mention somes things you like to do, also, like Patty said.  What do you do for fun?  And, I know this is a gun forum..but don't go GUNG HO into guns, like that's ALL you do.  Say something like "I'm into shooting sports (and just let it go at that), but also put something else...hiking?  movies?  whatever else.

I can imagine you in Texas.
"Yawanto?  What letter does that start with?"
"What does "Ah reckon" mean"?
"What does war have to do with electrical components?  Why did you mention a vague distance measurement (far) when talking about something that burns?"
"What the HELL is a "TV tar"?"
Of course, when you tell us you're going to "pahk da cah", we're not going to understand you either.

Gee, DF...Who pissed in your Corn Flakes this morning?  

You and I both know there's a difference between a "dialect", and bad grammar/spelling.

And I NEVER say "pahk da cah", thank you very much.

love you, too.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
OK..I'm married so anything I say is really, well...at best an opinion that probably does not matter. But, if I were single here's what I'd think:

Too heavy on the marriage/settle down thing. There are ways to say you want a serious relationship without immediately saying "I wanna settle down and be a husband/father." That would scare the bejeebus outta me if I were a single 25-35 yr old woman. Say that you are interested in building a relationship, say that you are a one-woman kinda guy, say that you are on the site because you are sick of the superficial world of dating...that STILL says you're interested in monogamy without putting the onus on the woman who will be preparing for your first date thinking "Am I wife/mother material?"

Next, your ideal woman? Narrow it down...you've got it written so that she could be anyone from a pigmy to a whatoosi. (Two tribes in Africa--short and stocky, long and lean).

If you REALLY find that you have no particular type, then say so in your blurb: "I like all kinds of women and feel what's on the outside matters little when stacked up against what's on the inside."

The way you've got it now, you're saying "I'm desperately trying to not be single and I will hook up with anything with estrogen" and that's just not good.

FWIW: I think you're good looking, and sound like a nice guy (not from your profile, but from your posts here) so...well....that's my opinion.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"What does war have to do with electrical components?  Why did you mention a vague distance measurement (far) when talking about something that burns?"
Of course, when you tell us you're going to "pahk da cah", we're not going to understand you either.

You and I both know there's a difference between a "dialect", and bad grammar/spelling.

And I NEVER say "pahk da cah", thank you very much.love you, too.

How about 'wahk da dahg'?  

No no...She has CATS!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I NEVER say "pahk da cah", thank you very much.

love you, too.

I can see you don't listen to much redneck comedy.

I thought rednecks "ARE" comedy, just by being rednecks.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I NEVER say "pahk da cah", thank you very much.love you, too.

How about 'wahk da dahg'?  

No no...She has CATS!!!

There's not much Massachusetts sounding "AH's" in my vocabulary.  Once in a while, it slips out, if I'm chatting away.  I work in the first city south of Boston.  But I do admit to using the following terms freely:

wicked - I got a wicked awesome blouse to go with my new pants.
awesome - I got a wicked awesome pair of pants, I just need a new blouse to go with them.
grinder - Let's get a grinder at Rich-ah-dis.
frappe - Friendly's makes wicked awesome Frappes
"U"-ie - " I was headed in the wrong direction, so I pulled a "U-ie".

so there.
shoot me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#16]
sorry your thread got so hijacked, there, Fieroloki...

I've got a wicked awesome suggestion for you though (giggle).

Step 1.  Buy a puppy.  The cutest durned puppy you can find (hopefully a pound puppy).

Step 2.  Take said puppy to the park on a Sunny afternoon.

bingo.  Chick Magnet.

It's the truth.   You can thank me later.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
awesome - I got a wicked awesome pair of pants, I just need a new blouse to go with them.

Heh.  I understood all of that - ex-wife from Brookline Mass.  

DF:  I thought that was "Yowntoo"  (ow for hard o sound)...  But then, I'm from farther up north, near Shreveport.  I'm a yankee down here.  

Fiero, a couple of things about personals:

Don't stress too much on the family stuff - gals need to get to know you a little first.  Don't sound like you really need someone.  Sound more like you're pretty happy how you are but if someone wants to join in, that's OK by you.

Also, women tend to not initiate conversations on these things.  Write some people.  You'll probably get about a 5% response rate.  Really.  No worries, that's just how the things work.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
OK..I'm married so anything I say is really, well...at best an opinion that probably does not matter. But, if I were single here's what I'd think:

Too heavy on the marriage/settle down thing. There are ways to say you want a serious relationship without immediately saying "I wanna settle down and be a husband/father." That would scare the bejeebus outta me if I were a single 25-35 yr old woman. Say that you are interested in building a relationship, say that you are a one-woman kinda guy, say that you are on the site because you are sick of the superficial world of dating...that STILL says you're interested in monogamy without putting the onus on the woman who will be preparing for your first date thinking "Am I wife/mother material?"

Next, your ideal woman? Narrow it down...you've got it written so that she could be anyone from a pigmy to a whatoosi. (Two tribes in Africa--short and stocky, long and lean).

If you REALLY find that you have no particular type, then say so in your blurb: "I like all kinds of women and feel what's on the outside matters little when stacked up against what's on the inside."

The way you've got it now, you're saying "I'm desperately trying to not be single and I will hook up with anything with estrogen" and that's just not good.

FWIW: I think you're good looking, and sound like a nice guy (not from your profile, but from your posts here) so...well....that's my opinion.

I'm going to agree, you need to put into detail more what kind of person you are, hobbies, likes/dislikes, etc.  And also what you are looking for in a partner.  
I met my fiancee on eharmony, and they do a really good job of matching profiles together based on your personality/hobbies/requirements.  It really kind of cuts out the questions that you would come to on the first/second dates.  If you don't have any luck on the site you are on now, you should check it out.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so there.
shoot me.

<thinking to self> What did she just say?</tts>

I couldn't figure it out, either.  What the heck's a grinder?

griner = sub = hoagie.   ya know?  a sammich with lots of "innerds".
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so there.
shoot me.

<thinking to self> What did she just say?</tts>

I couldn't figure it out, either.  What the heck's a grinder?

griner = sub = hoagie.   ya know?  a sammich with lots of "innerds".

Oh.  Why don't you just call it a sammich, then?

Cuz a sammich is what your mama makes you for lunch in your lunchbox.  A grinder is something the ugly italian down the street makes in his "grindah-shop".

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Too bad you look like a serial-killer.

Otherwise, hell, Id do you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
   The single life sucks and im trying to figure out where im going wrong. I work nights so it's hard to meet people so ive been on Cupid.com and have had mixed results, but I have also made some good friends. Tell me what you think of my profile if you dont mind. It's right here.

Everything that's writin there is just me. No lies, or exagerations or anything, just and old school romantic/gentleman.
    Do I sound like an ok guy? I know im not a hot guy but I dont think im ugly. Just be honest with me weather it's good or bad.

Thanks in adance.  

Right there's your problem.
As you can see from the women's responses, they'll think you're lying anyway.

Downfall of the online dating world really. Everyone lies through their teeth on their profile. So everyone thinks that everyone else is lying as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You're bad!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the replies. Hell even you Lumpy. Ill work on it tonight and get back to ya.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So is this your official 'coming out'?  Huh?

Nah, remember DB's sig line from last year?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Made some changes in the "about me" section
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Spell check sucks apparently..  LOL!!!  On it right now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I thought the ad was fine Loki.

The only thing you might want to change, and it has already been brought up, is that you come across as a little desperate. You should be more specific on what qualities YOU want in a woman, and start out looking for the ideal partner for you.

The right girl is out there, and I'm sure you will find her.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:05:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Well despite my Y chromosome, I thought I'd throw in my .02. I spent some time figuring out the online dating thing, and at least for me, I think it can work pretty well.

The ladies here can polish up the profile, I want to talk about the overall machine of online dating. First of all, everyone is misrepresented. Women reading your profile will misunderstand you, you will misunderstand them, and that is not even counting all the profiles that are outright lies. I think it's for 2 reasons...that people in online dating scene will project all kinds of stuff into a profile that isn't there, and second that most people who may have many great qualities are not very good at conveying them in writing (and are bad photographers too!).

So, you have to not really believe what is written. You have to set some method of standard as to who you will go out with, then meet the person. Forget all about their profile, and see who they are for real, in person, in different settings.

Since the statistics are so incredibly against a guy in the online scene, you have to go for the long haul. Massive volume is the only way. If you focus on 1 or 2 profiles that look like your soulmate, then spend days writing her, wondering why she didn't write back, etc etc, you will get discouraged. I think you have to write like 10 people a day for about a week, then do more. Write people when then say something cool even if you know there is no chance you would date them...make friends and be honest (it's totally cool to write someone who you both know will not end up romantic...just say hi and make a new friend, it will help your writing skills, and who knows, they may know someone perfect for you).

What happens is the one that you thought was perfect for you, gorgeous, smart, etc., will show up on the date looking like frankenstein's bride on crack, and have warrants in 15 counties. Then the one you thought was so-so looking, seems marginally interesting etc., will show up and be drop dead gorgeous (way better than her pic), and you will talk for hours and watch the sunrise after a 14 hr date.

So be totally honest with people, make your judgements minimally on the profile, and mostly in person, write and go out on a LOT of dates (this can get expensive -  if money is an issue, get creative on what to do that ends up in a nice setting and conversation), make online friends and network through the online dating community.

Never in the history of humankind (note my gender non-specific terms here in the women's forum!) has technology been so advanced to allow just about anyone to meet a tremendous amount of potential mates in a short time. If you are truly looking for the perfect person, use these tools to find your goddess...

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:08:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Well, if any ladies want to help me polish it up some, I would appreciate it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're bad!  Patty

Uh, that is so gross.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
"I consider myself a good guy, with good morals and a good heart. I'm also a simple person, doesn't take allot for me to be happy. I'm as happy going out on the town or staying in and renting a movie and chilling on the couch. I'm also a very affectionate person. I believe in not only telling someone how you feel, but also showing it in simple ways."

That's better, Loki.  I like this version much more.  It just sounds more welcoming and warm.  Just fix the crap in red.  (Don't be mad, but daisy was right.)

[Nerd cap on] Actually, it should be "it doesn't take a lot to make me happy" (a lot vs a little)

"allot" is a verb and it means to assign a portion.  For example:

"Allot this space for containment.  Please install 12 sets of spiked shackles and toss in a bale of hay.  We'll allot this other space for torture.  Please install 6 pulleys on the ceiling, with chains, hooks, duct tape, rubber gloves, and various sundries of the sort.  Oh and we'll need 2 TVs which will play a continuous loop of the surveilence camera in Hillary Clinton's shower and Michael Moore movies."  

[/nc]

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Perse...I can always count on you for a wake up call and a smackdown.

Is that a compliment?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Perse...I can always count on you for a wake up call and a smackdown.

Is that a compliment?  

She's into tough love.  I'd say yes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I think this post was premature. I went to see a girl Tuesday night and had a freaking blast. She is very attractive, likes guns (Army National Guard) and is goofy like me. Cant wait to see her again in 2 weeks.  WOOOOHOOO!!!!

Ummm, she likes my ass to.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I think this post was premature. I went to see a girl Tuesday night and had a freaking blast. She is very attractive, likes guns (Army National Guard) and is goofy like me. Cant wait to see her again in 2 weeks.  WOOOOHOOO!!!!

W00T!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Forgot to mention she likes to wrestle to. As in clear the living room floor and fight wrestle, but not hurting each other of course. So, I get someone goofy like me, likes guns and likes to wrestle.... Oh yeah. Life is good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Forgot to mention she likes to wrestle to. As in clear the living room floor and fight wrestle, but not hurting each other of course. So, I get someone goofy like me, likes guns and likes to wrestle.... Oh yeah. Life is good.

That's just an excuse to grab you and be grabbed by you without having to commit to sex or somethin'.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Hmmm....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top