Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2001 9:06:44 PM EDT
What The Frick is up with the ending of Planet of the Apes?  Anybody understand that?  They went through all the trouble of making the the plot make sense(somewhat, would you leave that chick?) and then an ending that makes no frickin sense at all.  Anybody out there have an explanation?????  Am I just not getting it?  I thought it was an OK movie up till that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured it was just another future ( past? ) since he went back through the storm. Regardless, I didn't think the ending had any where near the impact of the original's. I remember being blown away when I recognized the Statue of Liberty shadow.

Besides which I'm getting really tired of Burton's "so dark you can't see anything half the time" movies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
To sucker our asses into paying for the next one.  [pissed]  Where in Kali are ya?  I wanna meet some of the members.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
easy instead of sending him back thru time the wormhole sent him into a alternative reality

and yes its a BS ending
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Syd-  I live outside San Francisco.  We just had a shoot and are planning another sometime soon up near Sac.  Check the meetings and events board.  [:)]

Oh yeah, the alternate reality makes no sense as the apes would have had much different architecture, plus the whole reason for the apes to develop was because of the humans according to the story.  I don't know why this is bugging me so much. [:\]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, why can't anybody live near L.A.?  But then again, why would they?  I wouldn't either if it wasn't for my shop. [V]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Syd- the folks down in SoCal are very active.  I think they are about to or just did have a bbq/ shoot happening.  Just keep checking the meetings and events board or start a thread yourself.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
When he landed on Earth it was 135 years after he had left it and in that time the Apes on Earth had taken it over. Don't think about it, there are huge holes in the story if you think.

Where did the Gorillas come from? Did they have them on the ship and we didn't see them? Why have large Gorillas when smaller apes could do the task? Horses. How the hell did horses get there? Why would they have HORSES on the ship?

The sexual tension between Marky Mark and Helena Bonham Carter was silly. Hey, T & A in movies is ok but the blonde didn't do anything but look good and act concerned, or jealous, about Marky Mark and HBC. Hey if she's just T & A we never saw her naked! "Loved" her sequined dress at the end though.

So the exterior of the ship deteriorates but all the wiring is intact, ready to come to life, after a few thousand years.

When the ape Prometheous (sp?) returns they should have played a distant Calvary charge horn, talk about a opportunity to return.

Just too much to go on. I was dissapointed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I kind of expected to see some monument with his face.  

I liked the original better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't seen the movie yet. 'though I did rent the original over the weekend. [:)]

I heard a critic on the radio advise people to "go with the flow" and "not try to figure out the ending."

You guys are really making me think about waiting until it comes out on video.

Tim Burton comes up with weird stuff, so I don't hold much hope for this one anyways. Should I wait or go?
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
It's like that darn AI movie, where the artsy-fartsy critics loved the weird, crackheaded story line, but the movie goers hated it, and said the critics had been sniffing something.  More crap that has not meaning or use except to take a title of a good movie and ruin it with half-baked plots and then overpromote it for making money.  When we get together and start not going to stupid movies, maybe Hollywood will stop making crap.  Flame on my tongue, got to go,
Ice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top