Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2006 10:57:25 AM EDT
  can explain to me why Marine drill SGT's use that strange voice when speaking to their recruits?

I watched a special last night on the Military channel on Marine boot camp and it reminded me of a question I should have sent into "Gunney" a long time ago. I'm sure it probably has something to do with Marine tradition. I'm just curious as to where it started and why.

The fine print:  The title "Jarhead" is not meant in any disrespect towards the Marine corp or its members.  I just couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
To scare the hell out of recruits. Marine Corps Boot Camp is theatre writ large.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
To scare the hell out of recruits. Marine Corps Boot Camp is theatre writ large.

Really ?!

My drill SGT scared the hell out of me and he didn't even have to raise his voice ...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That is true!  Some talk like that from all the yelling that they do! I had one of my D.I's come to my company before I got out and he still talked like that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#4]
That "weird" voice is not an act.  After so many training cycles, the vocal chords get absolutely trashed on some people.  Just like Wolfman Jack.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Cuz they're all fucking nuts.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That "weird" voice is not an act.  After so many training cycles, the vocal chords get absolutely trashed on some people.  Just like Wolfman Jack.

At Parris Island, 3rd Battalion D.I.'s do it intentionally. It must be some kind of tradition, because they were doing it 24 years ago when I was In bootcamp. You never hear the hats in 1st or 2nd battalion using the Wolfman Jack voice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So your saying that they yell so much that they effectivley screw up their normal speaking voice?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#8]
well 14 years ago on the pi in 1 st batt the di sounded like devils
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Some, yes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]

The drill instructors also use that "Drawl" when counting cadence. They are not screaming or yelling then. It has to be some type of tradition ... My drill SGT's at Fort Jackson screamed all day and their voices were fine.

Edited to correct spelling.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your saying that they yell so much that they effectivley screw up their normal speaking voice?

I have to take antibiotics and vitamin C to simply get my voice not to crack all the time from the abuse.  When your vocal cords take all that abuse from shark attacks it starts to break down.  It doesn't help that you have to be around some nasty ass privates who don't bathe or blow their nose properly or cover their mouth when they cough.  Then I end up yelling at them for not blowing their nose properly or covering their mouth when they cough.  They bring all manner of illness and dysentery from the four corners of the globe... right to your doorstep.

And then they wonder why we hate them so...

My wife hates what it's done to my voice.  Sounds like I've gargled with gravel or some razors.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#13]
really?  When I was in 2nd Batt. my DI's did it all the time.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#15]
They're all deaf from holding on to hand grenades a few seconds too long.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They're all deaf from holding on to hand grenades a few seconds too long.

That's false. Everyone knows that Marine D.I.'s are immune to the effects of all conventional weapons.

My Senior use to eat three or four aborted fetus's for breakfast everymorning. Then wash it down with a glass of vomit.

Maybe that's why his voice sounded like that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
really?  When I was in 2nd Batt. my DI's did it all the time.  

Well echo company mcrd didnt do it. as of 2006.

Hotel Company DI's did in 1999. They called it the "frog voice" and while their normal voices were harsh from all the time yelling, the frog voice was even more harsh, and used for particular emphasis.

Example: Drill Instructor: "This whole squadbay looks like a sack of smashed assholes! You fuckers wanna be funny? You think this is funny? I can be funny too. Everbody on your faces. Push! [frog voice] NOW![/frog voice]
Top Top