Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:06:08 PM EDT
OK I stopped smoking.  Its been 3 days.  HOW LONG TILL THE CRAVINGS STOP!?!?!?!?!?

Jeez this takes all the willpower I can muster.  I have two packs of my girlfriends cigarettes right by me and I cant stop thinking about opening one up and quitting.  The only thing stopping me is that I would be a pussy if I gave in.  How long till cigarettes become nasty again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You are right at the peak of withdrawal - if it gets too bad then go and do the patch, I think after two weeks all the remaining cravings are psychological, right now it's a bitch though, but you can do it. BTDT.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK I stopped smoking.  Its been 3 days.  HOW LONG TILL THE CRAVINGS STOP!?!?!?!?!?

Jeez this takes all the willpower I can muster.  I have two packs of my girlfriends cigarettes right by me and I cant stop thinking about opening one up and quitting.  The only thing stopping me is that I would be a pussy if I gave in.  How long till cigarettes become nasty again.

Throw the packs away.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay with it brother.  You may live to be old and grey yet!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#4]

HOW LONG TILL THE CRAVINGS STOP?

They never really do stop.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I envy even your three days.  I want to quit really bad, but don't seem to have the sack to follow through even overnight.  Good job, and keep it up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Keep going !!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Not true. For many it is somewhere between 6 months & a year before the hankerin every now & then goes away.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]
It will get easier.  Hang in there!

Just think of all the ammo money you are gonna gain.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day, sometimes MUCH more, sometimes none for days. I have no cravings. I have stopped for months and months before. I dont understand why some have such enormous cravings, and then I dont. I smoke cause I like it. When I get bored I stop.
Anyway,

Good luck. Quitting is the smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

they did for me, my wife still smokes but I have no desire to do so again. I quit 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations and keep it up!

The cravings are nothing compared to the pain of cancer. I watched my best bud go from 6'3" and 235 lbe to 132 lbs in 6 months. 2 weeks before he died he didn't have the strength to get out of bed. It wasn't pretty.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't had a cigarette in over 6 weeks, and I still get cravings all the time. I do allow myself a cigar a week, which helps (hurts?) a bit, but from my understanding, the cravings pretty much never completely dissappear.

I started doing mad amounts of cardio since I quit. It's easy to not want to smoke when you know it'll kill your workout.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK I stopped smoking.  Its been 3 days.  HOW LONG TILL THE CRAVINGS STOP!?!?!?!?!?...

Go to Kroger or Wally World and get some nicotine patches.  There's no point in going insane when you have an effective method of quitting readily available.  They cost about the same as a carton of cigarettes.  I smoked for around 20 years and quit with no problem using those things.

You sound like you have willpower.  Cut yourself some slack and use the patch.  It makes it a lot easier.  I quit almost a year ago and don't even think about smoking anymore.   If you've made it 3 days you've got it licked.  Slap one of those things on your arm and drive on: you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day, sometimes MUCH more, sometimes none for days. I have no cravings. I have stopped for months and months before. I dont understand why some have such enormous cravings, and then I dont. I smoke cause I like it. When I get bored I stop.
Anyway,

+1. I quit smoking regularly quite a while back, but if I'm out at the bar, I can have two or three with my drinks, and not think twice about a cigarette the next day. Just lucky I guess.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I haven't had a cigarette in over 6 weeks, and I still get cravings all the time. I do allow myself a cigar a week, which helps (hurts?) a bit, but from my understanding, the cravings pretty much never completely dissappear.

I started doing mad amounts of cardio since I quit. It's easy to not want to smoke when you know it'll kill your workout.

Exercise is a great substitute for smoking, plus you improve your health all the way around. I liked those Committ lozenges, I used to dip Copenhagen as well so that aided in stopping my oral fixation with those habits
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#16]
You're going to get fat.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I quit a year ago this week. The cravings do stop after a few months, just hang in there. I recommend the patch highly, there's no point in torturing yourself for no reason. They can be found cheap on Ebay.

I smoked for over 15 years, and loved smoking. If I can quit, anybody can.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You're going to get fat.

Yep.
The treadmill is your friend. I gained about 10 or 15 pounds but lost it all on the treadmill.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You're going to get fat.

Doutful.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You're going to get fat.

DevL is a woman???
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#21]
About 2 weeks to get nicotene out of the system,  and 6 months to undo the 8 years of behavior that came with cigarettes being an integrated part of life.  There were times where it was like reaching for a security blanket that was no longer there.

My advice:  Be a man, suck it up and drive on.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You're going to get fat.

Not necessarily.  I didn't gain an ounce.  In my case the critical factor was to just pop a Certs in my mouth instead of a cigarette or, you know, an extra large pizza or something.

Again however, I highly recommend the patch because you gradually (4 weeks in my case, depends upon the individual) reduce your nicotine level over time instead of cold turkey.  I suspect (though I have no proof) that this may be one reason I never became ravenously hungry like I did back years ago when I tried unsuccessfully to quit (and yes, when I tried the cold turkey approach I definitely gained weight).
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations! Three days is great.  Hang on...it will get better.   Drink lots of water and brush your teeth after you eat.  That really helped me get past the after food smoke.  I agree with other posters about patch, etc.  Ask your Dr. for help if it really drives you nuts.  Lots of stuff to make it easier now.  I went cold turkey.  Friends said I was  homicidal for about two weeks .  Another thing that helped me was this:  If you don't pick up a smoke, you won't have to go through this (withdrawl) again.  If that isn't enough , think of the ammo and toys you can buy with forty bucks a carton or whatever it is in your area.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quitter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#25]
If you've already gone 72 hours without any nicoteen in your system, I would not recommend that you use any products that contain nicoteen.  You're body is already flushing out the nicoteen, and the receptors in your brain that are usually bathed in nicoteen are screaming at you right now to be filled up.  Don't do it.  Just tough it out.  If you'd started with the patches, you'd be fine, but you didn't.  

If you use the patch or any other nicoteen replacement, you'll just be dragging it out at this point.

You're cravings will start to weaken from this point.  After 72 hours, they should drop off a little, then after a week they should drop a little more.  After ten days they will drop off considerably.  

Just know that you'll never be completely over the cravings, but they will get to the point where they will be further and further between (and weaker and weaker).

Stay strong and you'll get through it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#26]
The rest of your life.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm sure Susan Estrich (spelling couldn't be right) is the most common cause for people quitting smoking.

If she were on TV more, or even the radio, the world would be a better place... err... no.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yes they do.  My Dad said he stopped craving them altogether about a week after he found out he had lung cancer and the concept sunk in that they were most likely the cause of his impending and very painful death.  He had about 6 smoke free months after 55 years of smoking before he died.  

Hang in there. I've did it over 3 years ago.  Lots of others have too.  Don't give up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#29]
You're either at or past the worst of the physical withdrawl symptoms from what I have seen, give it another couple of days.

The mental challenge takes longer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks guys I am hanging in... its impossible for me to get fat.  Hell I am down to 205 and need to gain weight so I dont blow away.  I have considered a single cigarette but have not given in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyway,

+1. I quit smoking regularly quite a while back, but if I'm out at the bar, I can have two or three with my drinks, and not think twice about a cigarette the next day. Just lucky I guess.

+2

I rarely want to smoke, and I can't imagine smoking every day. I just like to do it now and then.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Congratulations! Three days is great.  Hang on...it will get better.   Drink lots of water and brush your teeth after you eat.  That really helped me get past the after food smoke.  I agree with other posters about patch, etc.  Ask your Dr. for help if it really drives you nuts.  Lots of stuff to make it easier now.  I went cold turkey.  Friends said I was  homicidal for about two weeks .  Another thing that helped me was this:  If you don't pick up a smoke, you won't have to go through this (withdrawl) again.  If that isn't enough , think of the ammo and toys you can buy with forty bucks a carton or whatever it is in your area.

I agree with you on this, my Mom is going cold turkey, and boy even the cat wants to hide from her. So Lets see 2 days no cigs so I and my cat have to hide for how much longer. Yikes 12 days. Lol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Keep it up. Just remember that you're at the worst part right now. Most people claim that Day 3 is actually the worst, with the most intense cravings. It's not going to get any worse than it is right now, so you CAN deal with it. Tomorrow should be slightly better and the day after better still. After 5 days or so, you'll still have some craving for nicotine, but greatly reduced from what you're experiencing now. You'll find that manageable.

Just keep in mind, once the craving is totally gone, you may have a day where you have an intense,  sudden craving for a smoke a month or even 6 months down the road. It may come out of nowhere. Just hold steady if and when that happens. Unlike the constant craving you're having now that drives you nuts, the "aftershocks" as I like to call them will pass much quicker, though they can be very, very intense while they last.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I quit in mid feb. I still crave them pretty badly. Try the patch, they do help.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#35]
A quitter never wins.

BTW, I really need to get the sack to quit myself.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they did for me, my wife still smokes but I have no desire to do so again. I quit 6 years ago.

I made i 'bout five years, never really got over the cravings, just told myself I wouldn't smoke.  Now up to 'bout a pack a week.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Do the gum brother. I've had more family and friends quit using it.

So what if you chew up $600 in gumin one year. It's easy enough to give up once you aren't smoking. Think of it as a transfer of addiction.

You quit smoking for LIFE. ETA: 7 YEARS LAST MARCH.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I NEED TO QUIT SO BAD!!!!!!!! Someone help me!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I am up to 6 days and not one puff.  Cravings are less but still there.  After food or when I see someone light up I want to reach out and grab one.  I hled a cig in my mouth and lighter in hand and considered "just one" but didnt do it.  I sniffed the cig and wondered what I liked that nasty crap for.  Still want a cigarette though.

I have considered if I smoke one I would realise I dont really want one after that cause its nasty.  Am I fooling myself?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Need motivation?  If the Houston crew sees you with a cigarette, we make you eat another Beyond Insanity wing.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Now on 9 months and you will not believe the diffrence it will make in how you feel every day.  PLUS all that money you put into smokes can go into toys ! since I quit I have paid for a 1911a1, SA XD40, a Sig Pro2009,and a new AR Plus I can cut the grass without losing my breath play tag with my 4 year old without having to sit down at some point and catch my breath. I gained between 5-10 pounds but it is now slowly comming off. I cant believe I waited so long to get it over with. It took me all of two weeks to really shed the addiction and for that time I had to stay away from smokers at work little gathering points etc. I realized a few months back that I was really over it when a former co-smoker offered me a cig outside the office and I replied "no thanks I dont smoke " (versus "no thanks I quit smoking") I think signifiying in my own mind that I am no longer a smoker.
Stick with it and you will see that the cravings diminish and the periods in between get longer and longer till eventually you dont even think about it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#43]
You must have smoked a carton a day to be able to afford all that just by quitting smoking.

Also I dont ever want another Insanity Wing.  Just spray me in the fact with OC instead... same thing really.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top