Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5083 of 5589)
Page / 5589
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By weptek911:

Ooft, is that one of those shitty AFVs with the fuel tanks as a back door?
View Quote

It's a MTLB with cargo/passenger compartment roof cut off. I'm not an expert on these things but I'm pretty sure their back doors don't contain fuel tanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:47:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROKIE] [#2]
nope...
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Prime:
Whole blood in the field is a pretty big deal.
We've only started doing this relatively recently.
View Quote

wow!
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Saltwater-Hillbilly:

This war is an existential war of Putin, his KGB/FSB/SVR clients, and the established order in Russia.  Also, the amount of prestige Russia as a nation has put on the table would have devastating impacts to Russia's position in the world, and most critically, it's position in it's near abroad (aka, the "stans").  If Russia loses this war, a future as a Chinese satrapy is among the "best" outcomes, with the foreseeable consequences including the dismemberment Russia into several countries and/or the absorption of huge swatches of Russian territories by neighboring countries becoming distinct possibilities.  What started as the latest in a series of "wars of choice" by Russia has now become a war of survival for Russia as it currently exists, and we can expect Putin to double down and Russians not to quit as long as it has the capability to fight.  Putin and his cronies have passed all the offramps and are in the position of the driver who has passed the last exit before the tollbooths.  Anything going forward for Russia is going to extract a toll.  It is also worth noting that, at current casualty rates, 40,000 troops is roughly 50 days worth of frontline casualties for the Russian Army, and we could be near the point where Russia has "culminated", as their required replacement rate of combat effectives at the front precludes their ability to defend and conduct major offensive action.  Russia has surprised many (including me) to the extent in which they are willing to double down on the Ukrainian War, as it objectively goes against Russia's medium- and long-term interests.  Given the irrationality of Putin's actions regarding Ukraine, and how much of a departure it is from Putin's previous actions (pre-2022), the outcome is tough to predict.
View Quote

Existenial war of Putin holy shit lol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tacosis:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This war is an existential war of Putin, his KGB/FSB/SVR clients, and the established order in Russia.  Also, the amount of prestige Russia as a nation has put on the table would have devastating impacts to Russia's position in the world, and most critically, it's position in it's near abroad (aka, the "stans").  If Russia loses this war, a future as a Chinese satrapy is among the "best" outcomes, with the foreseeable consequences including the dismemberment Russia into several countries and/or the absorption of huge swatches of Russian territories by neighboring countries becoming distinct possibilities.  What started as the latest in a series of "wars of choice" by Russia has now become a war of survival for Russia as it currently exists, and we can expect Putin to double down and Russians not to quit as long as it has the capability to fight.  Putin and his cronies have passed all the offramps and are in the position of the driver who has passed the last exit before the tollbooths.  Anything going forward for Russia is going to extract a toll.  It is also worth noting that, at current casualty rates, 40,000 troops is roughly 50 days worth of frontline casualties for the Russian Army, and we could be near the point where Russia has "culminated", as their required replacement rate of combat effectives at the front precludes their ability to defend and conduct major offensive action.  Russia has surprised many (including me) to the extent in which they are willing to double down on the Ukrainian War, as it objectively goes against Russia's medium- and long-term interests.  Given the irrationality of Putin's actions regarding Ukraine, and how much of a departure it is from Putin's previous actions (pre-2022), the outcome is tough to predict.

It has an insightful ring to it.
Russians are no dummies, they’re trying to learn and adapt, but that adaptation can only go so high.
Middle management will take the blame and get replaced.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Glad you are back, Mr Prime. You as well oh tall one. Twitter killed my list, and I am building it back, but I cannot hold a candle to you guys.
View Quote

🙏
Everybody steps up when they can.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Just started this. No idea if its good or not.

THE BATTLES OF KIEV 1941 vs 2022 - UKRAINE WARS SPECIAL

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

If Ukraine is confirmed to have been behind the Nordstream explosion and that information goes public, they are going to get hung out to dry.
View Quote

It's not like russia wasn't cutting the gas off anyway. It's not like europe can't supply their own gas in their own neighborhood. The eu sucking russian cock for gas has a lot to do with why we are where we are right now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#13]

If Ukraine is confirmed to have been behind the Nordstream explosion and that information goes public, they are going to get hung out to dry.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

I hope not too many believed that the Russians blew up their own pipeline. Obviously it was Ukraine or someone/group allied with Ukraine and determined to "help" Europe stop funding Russia's war machine.

The fact that this intel is leaked, to WAPO no less, is bad news. I'm sure most Western intel folks know exactly who, what, when, and where... Possibly US/CIA putting pressure on Ukraine for some nefarious reason.

Which is why I think it is BS propaganda to spread division. Zelensky has worked very hard to form Ukraine to EU standards of behavior. That type of sabotage is diplomatically a quantum leap beyond anything else they have tried or done. Plus, I’ve seen no evidence Ukraine has deep sea demolition capabilities. 300 ft is no joke. There is a lot of equipment needed for that. And working that deep without a topside pressure chamber is near suicide for someone. Highly unlikely it was Ukraine.

Top suspects?
1) Russia to get out of delivery contracts they can’t fulfill while at same time casting suspicion on Ukraine or other actors like US. The clean cut demolition makes most sense fir Russia.

2) If not Russia, then Poland. Poland definitely would have the deep sea equipment and skills to do this. And would force Germany to get off the Russian teat. The have means and sea coast opportunity.

3) Left field WAG, ChinaIsAsshoe. Because any chaos on the Ukraine front is good for China. Disabling a EU pipeline forces Russia to use more ships of which China directly benefits, or makes Russia work harder to extend pipelines to China.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:37:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNwood] [#14]

Think what you want about WaPo, but they have no reason to make this up and I don't think they'd run this if the source is super sketchy.
View All Quotes

Anonymous source to a reporter who lived in russia? My sources say Patron the dog did it. My sources are as good as hers.

Think what you want about WaPo, but they have no reason to make this up and I don't think they'd run this if the source is super sketchy.

Seriously?  They have run lots of bogus stories for Russia and Hamas. There is absolutely nothing new in that article except to name a SOF commander who has zero deep sea operations experience. The sailboat is patently ridiculous. Maybe doing mapping or something but sure as hell not a deep sea operation. The Russian salvage ship that was hanging out in the area is the perfect ship to carry this out.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RockNwood:
How can a billionaire be this stupid. Putin have you by your little titanium balls much?

Video interview

“The flower of Ukrainian youth should not be sent to die. “

Wow. So profound. They should roll over and give Russian peace a chance.

Quit listening to your inner Yoko Ono!
View Quote

Lots of people don't know anything about this conflict. It's just that most of them don't get asked for interviews where they can expose their ignorance. Being a billionaire or business leader doesn't confer wisdom or awareness in other areas, especially international affairs. Heck, look at MacGregor. Being interviewed doesn't mean anything at all, it's just noise. The only pity is that he's too dumb to realize that himself.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
I'll just link to this article  https://www.thedailybeast.com/ramaswamy-claims-us-wrongfully-bombed-nord-stream-pipeline
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

It's the main story on Fox News.  That's nuclear.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:44:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not trying to be defeatist, but the concern about Russian production and manpower are a serious concern.

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-map-avdiivka-russia-troops-counteroffensive-1842601

Russia has done a very good job evading Western sanctions and building low-tech stuff like these drones en masse is well within their capability. Their manpower reserves are also vast. Again: I'm not saying Ukraine is doomed but we need to be realistic about the fact that this could still turn out very bad for Ukraine is aid stops flowing and the Russians go Leroy Jenkins. I pray that doesn't happen, but there's no point in trying to look at the situation with rose colored glasses either.
View Quote

Production numbers aren't the measure of success, and cork-sniffing the quality of production is just silly. There are two scoreboards that matter: troops under arms and land under control. Russia holds the advantage in both, and is currently making net gains in the latter. All the maps for the last couple weeks show incremental Russian gains on three fronts (Andriivka, Kupiansk, Avdiivka) and losing only one (Kherson).
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#21]

It's the main story on Fox News.  That's nuclear to be expected.
View All Quotes

I'm not really getting the sensationalism. This isn't a popularity contest where swayed votes are going to go to Russia.

The decision for Europe is "Do we help Ukraine stop Russia or do we do it ourselves".
Ukrainians may be a pain in the ass blowing up pipelines and taking FN rifles into Belgorod, but they're very critically "somebody else".

I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:56:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#22]
I guess twenty hryvnia is twenty hryvnia

In Zakarpattia, the company sewed clothes for the Russian national alpine skiing team. PHOTO
12.11.2023 06:30

Under the procedural guidance of prosecutors of the Prosecutor General's Office, as part of the investigation of criminal proceedings in Zakarpattia region, authorized searches were conducted at the place of business of one of the enterprises. Products and documents were seized.

According to the investigation, the company produced sportswear for the team of the russian national alpine skiing team. To do this, they used blanks of winter ski jackets and emblems with the symbols of the aggressor state.

After that, products labeled by one of the well-known Italian brands, using fictitious data, were re-exported to the addresses of Russian companies.

Currently, the investigation is ongoing, the necessary investigative and procedural actions are being carried out. Persons involved in the commission of the crime are being identified.

The pre-trial investigation is carried out by investigators of the National Police of Ukraine with the operational support of the Security Service of Ukraine.

https://magnolia-tv.com/news/98664-na-zakarpatti-pidpryyemstvo-shylo-odyah-dlya-zbirnoyi-rf-z-hirskolyzhnoho-sportu-foto

The SBU exposed a garment factory in Zakarpattia that covered the Russian ski team

The Security Service, together with the National Police, exposed the underground production of winter sportswear for the Russian national ski team in Transcarpathia.

It was established that illegal tailoring took place on the basis of one of the garment enterprises in the region. The factory began fulfilling orders from a Russian company that supplies specialized clothing for sports teams of the aggressor country from the beginning of 2023.

According to the investigation, during this period the underground workshop produced and delivered to the Russian Federation more than 40 wholesale batches of winter jackets for Russian skiers. During the shipment of sportswear, those involved glued Russian symbols on it with gauze tape.

In order to hide the illegal deliveries, their "route" ran through one of the European countries where the owner of the Transcarpathian garment factory was located.

He turned out to be a foreigner who was directly involved in concluding relevant contracts with Russian customers and organized the shipment of finished products to the Russian Federation.

To ensure the production process in the sewing shop, he involved the manager of this enterprise. No more than 5 seamstresses, who were selected from among "trusted" persons, were engaged in the execution of the Russian "order".

Also, the seamstresses additionally underwent "briefing" on not disclosing the fact of cooperation in favor of the aggressor country among others, acquaintances and relatives.

Currently, within the framework of criminal proceedings initiated under Art. 110-2 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine (financing of actions committed for the purpose of violent change or overthrow of the constitutional order or seizure of state power, change of the boundaries of the territory or state border of Ukraine), an investigation is underway to establish all the circumstances of the crime and bring the perpetrators to justice.

Perpetrators face up to 10 years in prison with confiscation of property.

Comprehensive measures were carried out under the procedural guidance of the Office of the Prosecutor General.

https://t.me/SBUkr/10333

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#23]

I'm not really getting the sensationalism. This isn't a popularity contest where swayed votes are going to go to Russia.

The decision for Europe is "Do we help Ukraine stop Russia or do we do it ourselves".
Ukrainians may be a pain in the ass blowing up pipelines and taking FN rifles into Belgorod, but they're very critically "somebody else".

I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

View Quote

Of course you are not getting the sensationalism.  That's not the problem now is it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Of course you are not getting the sensationalism.  That's not the problem now is it?
View Quote

The problem for the Ukrainians is if it causes a drop in support.
I'm not certain it will.

You're welcome to articulate views to the contrary.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Yes, agreed.

Though I'll also say that video of that poor schmuck might represent the large war pretty well qualitatively, but as far as actual statistics, we are looking at the "moments of sheer terror" and excluding the hours of boredom and outright failed attempts. And emotionally impactful events or images will absolutely bias you as an observer into thinking those events and images are more statistically significant than they actually are, for much the same reason plane crashes or mass shooters can overrepresent themselves in people's minds.

As an example- imagery like the below is definitely an outlier that has to be considered, but can't be taken as the norm.

https://twitter.com/GwarWorin/status/1723499822752125209
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Capta:

Some of what you’re talking about is why I think it’s important to continue to watch and share as many low-level videos as possible, for example drone and arty strikes, even though these are so “old hat” that it’s nearly impossible to see anything new.  And frankly it’s tough from a moral perspective.  If you told me a year ago that I’d see 50,000 men die on camera over the next year, I wouldn’t believe you.   But one can (and has to) retain a degree of professional detachment.  I take breaks sometime.
Point is, seeing the “granular data” of this war, each time a drone drops an F1 grenade on some poor schmuck freezing in a hole, I think allows one to make SOME better judgments on the big picture claims of both sides which can have little or no data behind them.
The casualty number is a big one, with critics (usually of the Tucker stripe) saying that Ukraine is grossly inflating it.  Well…having seen what I’ve seen, they probably aren’t.  I absolutely believe there are over 300,000 Russian dead.  Actually I believe (and have believed and posted such since early on) that the Ukrainian figure is probably conservative.  FWIW, I also believe that Ukrainian losses are far in excess of what they admit.
When you can accept numbers like these as fact, then you can start making other inferences, like what the internal costs and stresses must be in the respective countries, and what other claims you might find plausible or implausible.

Yes, agreed.

Though I'll also say that video of that poor schmuck might represent the large war pretty well qualitatively, but as far as actual statistics, we are looking at the "moments of sheer terror" and excluding the hours of boredom and outright failed attempts. And emotionally impactful events or images will absolutely bias you as an observer into thinking those events and images are more statistically significant than they actually are, for much the same reason plane crashes or mass shooters can overrepresent themselves in people's minds.

As an example- imagery like the below is definitely an outlier that has to be considered, but can't be taken as the norm.

https://twitter.com/GwarWorin/status/1723499822752125209

Sure, and watching some other content can help there.  Some of the long-format K2 Battalion videos which are more looks at operations than “greatest hits” shows a more inclusive look at drone warfare, that most drops are misses/not close, that drones are frequently lost, that ops are scrubbed for various reasons, and so on.
Then there is the flip side.  There are also more than enough videos showing sequences of many, many hits which - taking into account that there must also be many misses/scrubs/drone losses that we aren’t seeing, demonstrate that the targets are under absolute hell.  In other words, the ten drone hits we see aren’t just the “top 10 hits” on a 100km stretch of front.  And how many times do we see a drone drop a grenade (or ten) into a covered dugout?  How many die that we never see?  How many squads sitting around get vaporized by a “miss” hitting in forested area?  How many videos are self-censored by Ukraine because they are too brutal?  Personally I think Ukraine allows some rough ones through in a very canny psychological calculation, but that there are many, many we will never see.
Yes we have to exercise a lot of caution in extrapolating all drone drops and all arty strikes as “hits”, because that’s what we see.  Obviously they aren’t.  However we should look at them like we do Oryx - they place a lower boundary on what’s possible, but they are not the whole picture.  I think if you watch enough such content, or read this thread daily, you probably understand that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Almighty mentioned this a couple days ago, now here it is in Slovakian news.

They have no chance to escape: a drone has appeared in Ukraine that catches other drones in the net

Drones pose a major threat on the Ukrainian battlefield, which is also constantly growing. The Ukrainians have been using them skillfully since the beginning of the war, but the capabilities of the Russians are also improving. We can say that we are witnessing a race to increase the effectiveness of drones and defend against them

The DroneHunter 700 has six propellers, radar and net throwers.

(lots of snip)

A special unmanned vehicle designed to hunt other drones has now appeared in Ukraine's arsenal. The DroneHunter 700 machine was boasted on video by the State Border Service of Ukraine. It is manufactured by Fortem Technologies from Utah and, unlike other similar systems, is not a modification of existing means. This drone was developed from scratch with the idea of hunting other drones. To do this, it has higher speed and agility than other drones of the same cathephoria.

It is significantly larger than the drones it is supposed to catch. That's the right word, because it doesn't shoot down or otherwise destroy other drones. He catches them in the net. Once caught in the net, smaller drones are taken suspended from a rope to their operator. For larger drones, it uses a net equipped with a parachute that brakes the caught machine in the air and then drops it to the ground.

The DroneHunter 700 is fully autonomous, guiding itself to the target with the help of onboard radar. Once a drone is within its range, it has no chance to escape. Only 15 percent of drones avoid the first network fired. However, it is immediately followed by the second. Fortem Technologies reports that its product has so far successfully caught more than 4,500 drones that have strayed where they shouldn't.

The DroneHunter 700 was tested for several years by the US armed forces. It is used by civilian and security forces to patrol places where drones are forbidden to enter, such as airports, power plants and other sensitive locations. The advantage is that they secure drones safely and do not destroy them in the air – there is no risk of collateral damage caused by debris falling to the ground and it also makes it easier to track down the owner. It is equally effective against quadcopters and drones in the shape of a classic aircraft with wings. However, it is not yet known how many pieces Ukraine has acquired.

https://spravy.pravda.sk/svet/clanok/688154-nemaju-sancu-uniknut-na-ukrajine-sa-objavil-dron-ktory-chyta-ine-drony-do-siete/

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:13:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#27]

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#28]

It's not like russia wasn't cutting the gas off anyway. It's not like europe can't supply their own gas in their own neighborhood. The eu sucking russian cock for gas has a lot to do with why we are where we are right now.
View All Quotes

There's been several articles sayi g Ukraine was behind it for the last year and nothing has come of it. I don't know who did it but Russia has the most to gain by saying it was Ukraine no matter who did it and there has been more than enough American "journalists" out there trying to make a living smearing Ukraine for me to be skeptical.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:27:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Sure, and watching some other content can help there.  Some of the long-format K2 Battalion videos which are more looks at operations than “greatest hits” shows a more inclusive look at drone warfare, that most drops are misses/not close, that drones are frequently lost, that ops are scrubbed for various reasons, and so on.
Then there is the flip side.  There are also more than enough videos showing sequences of many, many hits which - taking into account that there must also be many misses/scrubs/drone losses that we aren’t seeing, demonstrate that the targets are under absolute hell.  In other words, the ten drone hits we see aren’t just the “top 10 hits” on a 100km stretch of front.  And how many times do we see a drone drop a grenade (or ten) into a covered dugout?  How many die that we never see?  How many squads sitting around get vaporized by a “miss” hitting in forested area?  How many videos are self-censored by Ukraine because they are too brutal?  Personally I think Ukraine allows some rough ones through in a very canny psychological calculation, but that there are many, many we will never see.
Yes we have to exercise a lot of caution in extrapolating all drone drops and all arty strikes as “hits”, because that’s what we see.  Obviously they aren’t.  However we should look at them like we do Oryx - they place a lower boundary on what’s possible, but they are not the whole picture.  I think if you watch enough such content, or read this thread daily, you probably understand that.
View Quote

A LOT, to all that.

Very much agree with the rest, matches my observations. Sometimes there are "remember the guys/freedom ain't free" releases of bad video.

Sometimes it's just part of the picture at the front as revealed by the unit.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#30]
This could be bad news. I wonder what the hell is behind this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/11/11/nordstream-bombing-ukraine-chervinsky/

View All Quotes
This could be bad news. I wonder what the hell is behind this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/11/11/nordstream-bombing-ukraine-chervinsky/

Ukrainian military officer coordinated Nord Stream pipeline attack

Roman Chervinsky, a colonel in Ukraine's special operations forces, was integral to the brazen sabotage operation, say people familiar with planning

November 11, 2023 at 1:00 p.m. EST

A senior Ukrainian military officer with deep ties to the country's intelligence services played a central role in the bombing of the Nord Stream natural gas pipelines last year, according to officials in Ukraine and elsewhere in Europe, as well as other people knowledgeable about the details of the covert operation.

The officer's role provides the most direct evidence to date tying Ukraine's military and security leadership to a controversial act of sabotage that has spawned multiple criminal investigations and that U.S. and Western officials have called a dangerous attack on Europe's energy infrastructure.

Roman Chervinsky, a decorated 48-year-old colonel who served in Ukraine's special operations forces, was the "coordinator" of the Nord Stream operation, people familiar with his role said, managing logistics and support for a six-person team that rented a sailboat under false identities and used deep-sea diving equipment to place explosive charges on the gas pipelines. On Sept. 26, 2022, three explosions caused massive leaks on the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines, which run from Russia to Germany under the Baltic Sea. The attack left only one of the four gas links in the network intact as winter approached.

Chervinsky did not act alone, and he did not plan the operation, according to the people familiar with his role, which has not been previously reported. The officer took orders from more senior Ukrainian officials, who ultimately reported to Gen. Valery Zaluzhny, Ukraine's highest-ranking military officer, said people familiar with how the operation was carried out. They spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive details about the bombing, which has strained diplomatic relations with Ukraine and drawn objections from U.S. officials.

Ukraine has launched many daring and secretive operations against Russian forces. But the Nord Stream attack targeted civilian infrastructure built to provide energy to millions of people in Europe. While Gazprom, the Russian state-owned gas conglomerate, owns 51 percent of Nord Stream, Western energy companies, including from Germany, France and the Netherlands, are partners and invested billions in the project. Ukraine had long complained that Nord Stream would allow Russia to bypass Ukrainian pipes, depriving Kyiv of huge transit revenue.

Through his attorney, Chervinsky denied any role in the sabotage of the pipelines. "All speculations about my involvement in the attack on Nord Stream are being spread by Russian propaganda without any basis," Chervinsky said in a written statement to The Washington Post and Der Spiegel, which conducted a joint investigation of his role.

Spokesmen for the Ukrainian government did not respond to a list of questions about Chervinsky's participation.

Chervinsky's role illustrates the complex dynamics and internal rivalries of the wartime government in Kyiv, where Ukraine's intelligence and military establishment is often in tension with its political leadership.

Since Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Chervinsky had been serving in a unit of Ukraine's special operations forces and was focused on resistance activity in areas of the country occupied by Russia, people familiar with his assignments said. He reported to Maj. Gen. Viktor Hanushchak, a seasoned and respected officer, who communicated directly with Zaluzhny.

Chervinsky was well suited to help carry out a covert mission meant to obscure Ukraine's responsibility. He has served in senior positions in the country's military intelligence agency as well as the Security Service of Ukraine, the SBU, and he is professionally and personally close to key military and security leaders.

He has also helped carry out other secretive operations.

In 2020, Chervinsky oversaw a complex plan to lure fighters for Russia's Wagner mercenary group into Belarus, with the goal of capturing them and bringing them to Ukraine to face charges. In his statement to The Post and Der Spiegel, Chervinsky said he also "planned and implemented" operations to kill pro-Russian separatist leaders in Ukraine and to "abduct a witness" who could corroborate Russia's role in shooting down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over the eastern Donbas region in 2014, which killed all 298 passengers and crew on board. Last year, a Dutch court convicted two Russians and a Ukrainian of murder in the downing, which was caused by a Russian Buk surface-to-air missile.

Chervinsky is being held in a Kyiv jail on charges that he abused his power stemming from a plot to lure a Russian pilot to defect to Ukraine in July 2022. Authorities allege that Chervinsky, who was arrested in April, acted without permission and that the operation gave away the coordinates of a Ukrainian airfield, prompting a Russian rocket attack that killed a soldier and injured 17 others.

Hanushchak, who is no longer serving in the special operations forces, has said publicly that the operation was approved by the armed forces, and he declined to comment for this article.

Chervinsky has said he was not responsible for the Russian attack and that in trying to persuade the pilot to fly to Ukraine and hand over his aircraft, he was acting under orders. He calls his arrest and prosecution political retribution for his criticism of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and his administration. Chervinsky has said publicly that he suspects Andriy Yermak, one of Zelensky's closest advisers, of spying for Russia. He has also accused the Zelensky administration of failing to sufficiently prepare the country for Russia's invasion.

"The operation to recruit the Russian pilot involved units of the SBU, the Air Force, and the Special Operations Forces," Chervinsky said in his written statement to The Post and Der Spiegel. "The operation was approved by the commander in chief Valery Zaluzhny."

Chervinsky's participation in the Nord Stream bombing contradicts Zelensky's public denials that his country was involved. "I am president, and I give orders accordingly," Zelensky said in press interview in June, responding to a report by The Post that the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency had learned of Ukraine's plans before the attack.

"Nothing of the sort has been done by Ukraine. I would never act that way," Zelensky said.
Gas bubbles from the Nord Stream 2 leak on the surface of the Baltic Sea near Bornholm, Denmark, on Sept. 27, 2022. (Danish Defense Command/Reuters.)

But the Nord Stream operation was designed to keep Zelensky out of the loop, people familiar with the operation said.

"All of those involved in planning and execution reported directly to [chief of defense] Zaluzhnyy, so Zelensky wouldn't have known about it," according to intelligence reporting obtained by the CIA that was allegedly shared by Jack Teixeira, a member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard, on the Discord chat platform. Officials in multiple countries have said privately they were confident that Zelensky didn't personally approve the Nord Stream attack.

Other secret Ukrainian operations targeting Russian forces, including the one involving the Russian airplane, also were designed to bypass the Ukrainian president, people familiar with their planning said.

Chervinsky has blamed Yermak and several other Zelensky advisers for botching the plan in 2020 to ensnare Wagner fighters after they traveled to Belarus. That sting operation failed, Chervinsky said in a 2021 press interview, because of a leak from Zelensky's inner circle.

"It is not just one 'mole' [in Zelensky's administration], it is a bunch of people," Chervinsky said, naming Yermak as well as two other Zelensky advisers. He accused administration officials of being "afraid of challenging Russia."

U.S. officials have at times privately chastised Ukrainian intelligence and military officials for launching attacks that risked provoking Russia to escalate its war on Ukraine. But Washington's unease has not always dissuaded Kyiv.

In June 2022, the Dutch military intelligence agency, the MIVD, obtained information that Ukraine might be planning to attack Nord Stream. Officials at the CIA relayed to Zaluzhny through an intermediary that the United States opposed such an operation, according to people familiar with those conversations.

U.S. officials believed the attack had been called off. But it turned out only to have been postponed to three months later, using a different point of departure than originally planned. Key elements of the plan, including the number of people on the bombing team, as well as the use of a rented boat, diving equipment and fake identities, remained the same.

In an interview with The Post in June, Zaluzhny said the CIA had never asked him directly about any attack on Nord Stream. He said that after the explosions, in September 2022, he received a phone call from Gen. Mark A. Milley, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. "He asked me, 'Did you have anything to do with it?' I said, 'No.' A lot of operations are planned, a lot of operations are going on, but we have nothing to do with it, nothing at all."

Zaluzhny suggested in the interview that Russian propagandists had tried to tie him and the Ukrainian military to the operation.

The Dutch military intelligence service also reported to the Americans that the Ukrainians planned an attack on another pipeline in the Black Sea, called TurkStream. It's not clear why that operation was never carried out. In October 2022, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that his country's security services had prevented a Ukrainian attack on TurkStream. But Russian authorities have provided few details and are not known to have charged anyone in the alleged plot.

The Russian news agency Tass reported, "It is known that the attack was planned by an agent of the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) on orders from the Ukrainian special services."

Some of those who described Chervinsky's participation in the Nord Stream attack defended the veteran intelligence officer as acting in Ukraine's best interests. They argued that bombing the pipelines helped to keep Russia from filling its coffers from natural gas sales and deprived Putin of a means to use the flow of natural gas for political leverage.

The Russian leader had demonstrated that he was willing to use energy as a tool of retaliation. Nearly a month before the explosions, Gazprom stopped flows on Nord Stream 1, hours after the Group of Seven industrialized nations announced a forthcoming price cap on Russian oil, a move intended to put a dent in the Kremlin's treasury.

The German government withheld final authorization of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline days before Russia invaded Ukraine, following months of pressure by Washington. Before the war, Germany got half its natural gas from Russia and had long championed the Nord Stream project in the face of opposition from other European allies.

Chervinsky's supporters have shown up in court to defend him; a few have sported a T-shirt emblazoned with his face and a #FREECHERVINSKY hashtag. For some, he is a symbol of the Ukrainian military's willingness to make hard choices in a fight for the country's survival.

In his statement, Chervinsky said, "I have devoted my entire life to the defense of Ukraine." He called the charges against him related to the Russian airplane operation "groundless and far-fetched, which I will definitely prove in court."

Read it, and honestly I don’t find it credible.  There is nothing there but “unsourced people say X.”  This isn’t the first time we’ve seen a Russian disinfo (IMO) article in the western press, and it won’t be the last.
It mentions but doesn’t address the fact that Russia had already stopped the gas flow a month prior to the sabotage.  What would or would not have happened is unknowable, however it seems clear that Putin tried to play the energy card by cutting off Europe, and he failed.  Russia ceased deliveries of CONTRACTED gas and was on the hook for massive legal damages.
CUI BONO?
Blowing Nordstream did nothing to help Ukraine and much to help Russia.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By yekimak:

There's been several articles sayi g Ukraine was behind it for the last year and nothing has come of it. I don't know who did it but Russia has the most to gain by saying it was Ukraine no matter who did it and there has been more than enough American "journalists" out there trying to make a living smearing Ukraine for me to be skeptical.
View All Quotes

The fact that "Ukraine did it!", keeps getting recycled, like other talking points, in regularity, is a tell in and of itself.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:07:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Veccio] [#32]
What happened to that clown that was convinced the US blew up the pipeline?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:12:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#33]
RU

❗️🇷🇺🇺🇦 About the problems of the Dnepr group of troops in the Kherson direction

Looking at the events taking place near Krynki in the Kherson region, several obvious problems are visible, due to which it is not possible to completely clear the AFU bridgehead in the populated area.

▪️Virtual absence of effective electronic warfare

UAVs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine fly freely over the Dnieper, sometimes even working deep into the defense of the Russian Armed Forces. This makes it possible not only to direct artillery and mortars, but also to track the movements of Russian troops at the LBS.

In turn, Russian UAV operators cannot boast of this: the enemy’s electronic warfare crews are working intensively. Various jamming stations were pulled towards the Dnieper, which seriously complicated the work of the drones.

▪️Lack of air defense equipment at the site

Due to the long front line, there are gaps in airspace protection that the enemy takes advantage of. In recent days, Ukrainian aviation has been trying to fly even across the Dnieper to support ground forces.

▪️Lack of counter-battery weapons and attack drones

The forward groups of the Ukrainian Armed Forces have a significant superiority in both attack drones and fire support. Obviously, due to certain successes in the direction, the command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine provided the “elite” brigades of Marines with everything to achieve the goal.

And in contrast to this, the Russian units holding the defense, for some reason, do not have such support. In the same 10th Special Forces Brigade, despite numerous requests, they prefer to use the tactics of a frontal assault on positions, which is not particularly effective given the terrain and intense enemy fire.

This is despite the fact that the 10th brigade has completely different tasks, and personnel are used for other purposes in assault operations, sapping the potential of the prepared formation.

❗️Well, probably the biggest problem that seriously affects the defense of the Russian Armed Forces is a certain rigidity in the thinking of some of the people in charge. Maybe this is Makarevich’s legacy, which with the arrival of a new commander will follow the previous military leader, or maybe the situation is even worse than it looked at first glance.

Reluctance to take into account the nature of the enemy’s actions, to analyze possible scenarios and consequences leads to rather clumsy methods of resolving issues, such as sending assault groups without fire and reconnaissance support. The task has been set - complete it.

This, of course, can influence the development of events, but at what cost. After all, along with the killed members of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, our servicemen also die, which in the future could play a cruel joke on the direction. After all, the intensity of fire in the rear areas is not decreasing, but only growing. And a new batch of cruise missiles was delivered to Starokonstantinov.

Consequently, the enemy is still hatching plans to attack in the south while the weather still permits. The same attack on the Black Sea in Crimea looks like eliminating the threat to a possible landing of the DRG of the Ukrainian Main Intelligence Directorate on Tarkhankut. And, taking into account the movements in Ochakov and to the west, one gets the impression that this option is quite possible.

https://t.me/rybar/54082
https://t.me/romanov_92/42357

I’ll add one more significant point to Comrade Fisherman, which he touched upon only in passing.

Interaction. This is a key point not only for defense but also during actions to oust the enemy.

As an example: the Storm squad goes to storm enemy positions, but it has no direct connection with the guys on the copters, much less with the artillery. Everything is done only through the headquarters.

That is, from the moment the need for support arises to the actual support, a very significant period of time passes.

At the moment of the assault, the price of this period of time is quite equal to life. And it’s not the person at headquarters who pays it.

Establishing interaction and direct communication between attackers and copters and artillery will instantly increase our effectiveness on the site significantly.

In the meantime, unfortunately, everyone is on their own wavelength.

https://t.me/romanov_92/42358
https://t.me/dva_majors/28832

View Quote

More response to this post from Rybar.

@rybar writes about the grinding down of army special forces in frontal attacks on Krynki.

The tactics of grinding down army special forces units through frontal assaults is a problem and a disaster not only for the 10th OBRSpN, which Rybar mentions in his post. This applies to all eight brigades, one regiment and individual companies. And this lasts from February 24, 2022. As it started in Kharkov, the army special forces are still slurping up this crap in the form of assaults, which are launched both by stupid officers of the groups and by their own dunces at the brigade headquarters.

It is worth noting that the asshole entrenched in the headquarters of the OBRSpN for the sake of the cherished star of the Hero is ready to grab any orders issued from above, and if they are not issued, then they try to push their initiative, and send the small RGSpN to storm the positions. In contrast, we can say that there are enough smart commanders who stand up for their personnel.

This is clearly manifested in the same Krynki. When setting tasks, the personnel are not provided with everything they need, but literally act not because of, but in spite of. Contrary to the orders of the command, which periodically does not control the situation, and is not able to provide the necessary funds to the groups leaving for work. But how to write out orders for yourself (let’s not point fingers at the “respected” comrade colonels) so please, these are the first. This primarily applies to the 10th OBRSpN.

@ok_spn

https://t.me/ok_spn/27558
https://t.me/grey_zone/21710

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:18:29 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
I'm not trying to be defeatist, but the concern about Russian production and manpower are a serious concern.

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-map-avdiivka-russia-troops-counteroffensive-1842601

Russian forces are encircling Avdiivka, a new war map shows, as Moscow is said to have accumulated around 40,000 troops for a fresh assault on the eastern Donetsk town.

Beginning on October 10, Russia has poured in thousands of troops, as well as tanks and armored vehicles, in an attempt to seize the town, which has been described as the gateway to the city of Donetsk.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has described the situation around Avdiivka as "particularly tough."

Anton Kotsukon, spokesperson for the 110th separate mechanized brigade, said Thursday that Russia is building up reserves for a fresh push to seize Avdiivka.

"They've brought in about 40,000 men here along with ammunition," Kotsukon added. "We see no sign of the Russians abandoning plans to encircle Avdiivka."

Kotsukon said Russian troops have surrounded Avdiivka on three sides and were playing cat and mouse and sending up huge numbers of drones to analyze Kyiv's defenses.

Russia has done a very good job evading Western sanctions and building low-tech stuff like these drones en masse is well within their capability. Their manpower reserves are also vast. Again: I'm not saying Ukraine is doomed but we need to be realistic about the fact that this could still turn out very bad for Ukraine is aid stops flowing and the Russians go Leroy Jenkins. I pray that doesn't happen, but there's no point in trying to look at the situation with rose colored glasses either.

Agree with pretty much all of that.  Perun did an interview with the Dutch Col/Russian expert Anders Nelson a couple of months ago.  Col Nelson had a couple of astute observations.  He noted that the view of the Russian power structure was very much the “we are a great power and we have the right to do whatever we want in our sphere of influence, and keeping exclusive control of that sphere is by definition existential.”  This is not just Putin’s personal perspective.
The first interesting observation is that, while Putin and the Russian power structure use the rhetoric of “an existential war” for Russia, they do not in fact treat it as such.  He compares it to Ukraine, where it actually is a war of national survival and is treated as such, meaning there is total national commitment to paying any price.  However, in Russia, painful, politically costly decisions which would improve Russian chances in the war are deferred, half-assed, or kicked down the road.
He implies that the reason is that the war is treated (by the elites) as existential for Putin’s ruling coterie, but not necessarily for Russia.  (And he notes this is inconsistent.)
The second interesting observation (again going beyond Putin to include the ruling elites) is that “the people who rule Russia believe that only they know what is right for Russia in the big picture; therefore anything that jeopardizes their power jeopardizes the future of Russia.”. They tacitly acknowledge that the war isn’t directly existential for Russia, but because losing it could end in accountability and loss of their power, it is existential for them and therefore Russia.
I think this is a sobering conclusion because, if accurate, it means that this is probably going to end in the Fuhrerbunker with the Russian elites perfectly willing to destroy 140 million people because they know what’s best for them.  And them staying is power is what’s best.

FWIW he also sounded quite certain that Europe wasn’t backing down and that the Russian “strategy” of outlasting the west was mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

The fact that "Ukraine did it!", keeps getting recycled, like other talking points, in regularity, is a tell in and of itself.
View Quote

Month ago

August

June

May

March

(semi random articles found be searching "Ukraine nordstream" and sorting by date)

Intermixed with all the articles about Ukraine doing it there are stories about how the Americans, Russians, British, aliens, lizard people did it....

Every 3-4 months or so the Ukraine version boils up again like it is some sort of new thing but it is the same old story about so and so saying such and such.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:20:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

What was the target? Camera didn't really show anything there but dirt.
View All Quotes

What was the target? Camera didn't really show anything there but dirt.

I believe that video is a couple of months old.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:21:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

Go home Russia your drunk...
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#38]
#Review #Summary for November 12, 2023

Western assessments of the situation on the Ukrainian front with the word “parity” migrated to our observers, transforming into the word “deadlock.” While this word is used by military, economic and political experts on the Internet, the ears of TV viewers are still being protected. According to our forecasts, nothing changes. The war will be long. It’s just that in the coming months there will be an accumulation of the combat potential of the Russian Armed Forces for decisive action. The largest of them, with simultaneous enthusiastic cries from the TV (regardless of the result of the actions themselves), will begin closer to spring and the elections of the President of Russia. To the front.

▪️The offensive of the Russian Armed Forces continues in the Avdeevsky direction. There are successes of our troops on the northern ledge in the area of ​​the settlement. Stepovoye, to the outskirts of which our troops advanced. The control zone near the railway in that area is expanding. At the coke plant, the positions of the Ukrainian Armed Forces are constantly being attacked. There is a slight advance of the Russian Army in the southern direction near the Tsarskaya Okhota recreation center. The Avdeevsky ledge itself is a conventional square of 8X8 km of continuous minefields and concrete fortifications. The enemy is forced to constantly transfer reinforcements to Avdeevka from other sectors of the front, reducing the reserves of the second echelons. Enemy military analysts note that the Russian Armed Forces have not yet committed large reserves to battle.

▪️The Kherson direction remains one of the most difficult sections of the front. First of all, because of the accumulated problems in organizing our actions at various levels. The tragic death of our column, which for some reason stood idle in the village. Gladkovka, 20 km from the front, is one of the indicators of an almost negligent attitude towards past mistakes. The organization of warnings about air attacks raises questions - the strike on Skadovsk, as a result of which our citizens died, characterizes the organization of the transmission of signals about such threats. The Ukrainian Armed Forces are trying to expand their presence in Krynki, near Peschanivka and Podstepnoye. Our soldiers steadfastly hold back enemy attacks, destroying daily a significant number of personnel on both banks of the Dnieper, capturing captured soldiers of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. However, the enemy is increasing its efforts in the second stage of the offensive operation: helicopters are being used to attack our positions from the Krynok area. In Crimea, two enemy kamikaze MBECs once again reduced the potential of the Black Sea Fleet to combat surface targets. There were no booms at the boats’ base point (Chernomorskoe settlement). In the enemy's plans at the upcoming stage, the North-West of Crimea is the site of an auxiliary strike from the sea, which is designed to pin down the forces on the shore and not allow maneuver of forces and means.

▪️The Zaporozhye front is characterized by the transfer of enemy attacks to the west from Rabotino, constant and strong artillery shelling and counter battles at Verbovoy, and enemy attacks on civilian infrastructure in the rear. The Ukrainian Armed Forces are still using armored vehicles and trying to break through our defenses. Several runs a day. The steadfastness and dedication of our soldiers and commanders, holding back the enemy at the cost of losses, made it possible for politicians at various levels to talk about the completion of the Ukrainian Armed Forces offensive, which was unsuccessful for Kyiv, but the enemy’s attacks continue, combat work is underway.

▪️Local battles took place near Ugledar; our command looks at Ugledar itself with caution, remembering the heavy losses at the beginning of the year. Positional battles are also taking place in the Vremevsky direction.

▪️A new element of the situation was the offensive of our troops on Kleshcheevka, which is located in the gray zone. The Russian Armed Forces were entrenched in the ruins on the northern side and reported battles near the heights near the village.

▪️Shelling of the front-line regions of Russia continues. Enemy forces were operating in the Bryansk region, which was not included in the official press releases of the departments. As a result of the enemy's ambush, a border guard officer was killed. Every day there is a fight against enemy UAVs; in the rear, security agencies are identifying more and more enemy agents recruited via the Internet.

The summary was compiled by: Two majors

https://t.me/dva_majors/28891

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:23:11 AM EDT
[#39]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-peAZHWYAEtuI9?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-peVCFX0AAGay6?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

They have really stepped up from setting switch boxes on fire. This is great. I think disabling rails substantially is key to defeating Russia and is a sector that Ukraine has not touched much, yet. I imagine if they had received ed all 1,000 old ATACMS we would see some train depots hit by now.

Go partisans!!

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:26:19 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

If
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:27:23 AM EDT
[#41]

You don't think the Ukrainian-supplied numbers are a little optimistic?
View All Quotes

The daily Ukrainian posting from yesterday(?) showed 1130 KIA and a boatload of tanks, APC/IFVs, arty pieces, and logistics trucks/fuel tanks destroyed. Clearly, not every day is like that. But we've had more than a couple like that recently for whatever reason. So, *if* the present rate of destruction continues, Russia will not be able to sustain those losses. Big *if* though. And, certainly any reduction in aid to Ukraine would jeopardize their ability to sustain their efforts.

You don't think the Ukrainian-supplied numbers are a little optimistic?

People?  Probably not.   It’s several hundred miles of high intensity front with the capability to reach 50 miles beyond the front almost at will.
But durable rear area equipment, probably.  If they land a 155 close-ish to a towed arty piece, is it really “destroyed?”  Who knows?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:29:57 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Anonymous source to a reporter who lived in russia? My sources say Patron the dog did it. My sources are as good as hers.

“Making this up” and getting played by sources with an agenda are two very different things.
Media chase scoops, the bigger the better.  It’s in their nature.
Russia still has plenty of contacts, influence, and compromise in the west.  A story which has exactly zero proof has their fingerprints all over it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Month ago

August

June

May

March

(semi random articles found be searching "Ukraine nordstream" and sorting by date)

Intermixed with all the articles about Ukraine doing it there are stories about how the Americans, Russians, British, aliens, lizard people did it....

Every 3-4 months or so the Ukraine version boils up again like it is some sort of new thing but it is the same old story about so and so saying such and such.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Ruck:

Month ago

August

June

May

March

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:31:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Agree with pretty much all of that.  Perun did an interview with the Dutch Col/Russian expert Anders Nelson a couple of months ago.  Col Nelson had a couple of astute observations.  He noted that the view of the Russian power structure was very much the “we are a great power and we have the right to do whatever we want in our sphere of influence, and keeping exclusive control of that sphere is by definition existential.”  This is not just Putin’s personal perspective.
The first interesting observation is that, while Putin and the Russian power structure use the rhetoric of “an existential war” for Russia, they do not in fact treat it as such.  He compares it to Ukraine, where it actually is a war of national survival and is treated as such, meaning there is total national commitment to paying any price.  However, in Russia, painful, politically costly decisions which would improve Russian chances in the war are deferred, half-assed, or kicked down the road.
He implies that the reason is that the war is treated (by the elites) as existential for Putin’s ruling coterie, but not necessarily for Russia.  (And he notes this is inconsistent.)
The second interesting observation (again going beyond Putin to include the ruling elites) is that “the people who rule Russia believe that only they know what is right for Russia in the big picture; therefore anything that jeopardizes their power jeopardizes the future of Russia.”. They tacitly acknowledge that the war isn’t directly existential for Russia, but because losing it could end in accountability and loss of their power, it is existential for them and therefore Russia.
I think this is a sobering conclusion because, if accurate, it means that this is probably going to end in the Fuhrerbunker with the Russian elites perfectly willing to destroy 140 million people because they know what’s best for them.  And them staying is power is what’s best.

FWIW he also sounded quite certain that Europe wasn’t backing down and that the Russian “strategy” of outlasting the west was mistaken.
View All Quotes

Russian forces are encircling Avdiivka, a new war map shows, as Moscow is said to have accumulated around 40,000 troops for a fresh assault on the eastern Donetsk town.

Beginning on October 10, Russia has poured in thousands of troops, as well as tanks and armored vehicles, in an attempt to seize the town, which has been described as the gateway to the city of Donetsk.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has described the situation around Avdiivka as "particularly tough."

Anton Kotsukon, spokesperson for the 110th separate mechanized brigade, said Thursday that Russia is building up reserves for a fresh push to seize Avdiivka.

"They've brought in about 40,000 men here along with ammunition," Kotsukon added. "We see no sign of the Russians abandoning plans to encircle Avdiivka."

Kotsukon said Russian troops have surrounded Avdiivka on three sides and were playing cat and mouse and sending up huge numbers of drones to analyze Kyiv's defenses.

Boris, my feet are cold. Throw another peasant on the fire.

Everyone outside of Muscovy is expendable fodder.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Well, it's now front page on FOX too.
View All Quotes

Seriously?  They have run lots of bogus stories for Russia and Hamas. There is absolutely nothing new in that article except to name a SOF commander who has zero deep sea operations experience. The dailboat is patently ridiculous. Maybe doing mapping or something but sure as hell not a deep sea operation. The Russian salvage ship that was hanging out in the area is the perfect ship to carry this out.

Well, it's now front page on FOX too.

Color me shocked.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:32:11 AM EDT
[#46]

They have really stepped up from setting switch boxes on fire. This is great. I think disabling rails substantially is key to defeating Russia and is a sector that Ukraine has not touched much, yet. I imagine if they had received ed all 1,000 old ATACMS we would see some train depots hit by now.

Go partisans!!

View Quote

The problem with rails is that, once the railbed is there, shit can be repaired like within days.  Track can be laid in miles per day and All switches have manual backups so when an electronic one is tossed you just have Ivan sitting out there with his bovril working the lever..

You gotta hit bridges to cause any real delays. Preferably with the train on it. And that's not easy. Even tunnels are fairly easy to clear.

There is a reason that rail is still viable as infrastructure 200 odd years on. That shit is durable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:35:28 AM EDT
[#47]

I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

View All Quotes

I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I think many people fail to grasp that this conflict is existential for the European order and that Russia has already declared economic war on Europe.  They have a perfect meatshield already grinding Russia to a pulp.  Even if it’s true, which it isn’t, Europe isn’t going to care.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:15:30 AM EDT
[#48]

It is like scar tissue in my brain. I cannot get rid of it, no matter how hard I try.

Why? Because I was a Soviet kid and grew up in 1980s in a country that was occupied by russia. Soviet propaganda constantly bombarded us about Arafat and Palestinians, and their “struggle of liberation” against imperialist Israel and “Washington.” (Soviets for some reason rarely wanted to say out “United States.” They kept calling it “Washington” in their propaganda.)

I have two goals with my post today: show you a typical Soviet domestic propaganda piece, and make you think about what it means when russians get involved in any “liberation.”

I pulled out a newspaper from 1986, and translated an article about Middle East for you. 1986 was deep Soviet times. This is one of the rare articles about the region that does not directly mention Arafat by name. I assure you he was present in most of such articles. See the original and my translation attached.

The content here is typical, and the narrative was always the same. Whatever the events on the ground, Soviets cheerlead for Palestinian liberation, and Israel and “Washington” are imperialist and evil.

Now, here is my question to you.

Did russians truly and honestly care about Palestinians and their liberation?

If that’s too hard to answer, here is a simpler version:

Did russians ever care about the liberation and freedom of anyone, anywhere, ever?

The answer very obviously is “no”.

russians have never liberated anyone.

Not a single person.

Not a single centimeter of land.

Wherever russians go, whatever conflicts they are involved with, they only bring chaos and crimes. In their neighboring lands, that means direct occupation and the crimes we are now all sadly too familiar with from Ukraine. In more faraway lands like Middle East, it means fueling endless chaos, conflict, and empowering fellow autocrats and their crimes.

It is this lens that we must use to look at russian involvement in Palestinian “liberation”, which continues through this day to empowering Hamas terrorists, while allying with Iran terrorists.

I do not know what is the true Palestinian cause that someone like me could support in good faith.

I do know that for past decades, russia (both as Soviet Union and as current russian federation) and Iran have used Palestinians as a tool of fuelling endless chaos and conflict, and have trained, empowered and funded Hamas terrorists in lie and propaganda operations. Among other things, it means using their troll factory capacity to cheerlead for Hamas in social media today. And much of the West has cheerfully and uncritically gone along with the ride.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:22:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Veccio:
What happened to that clown that was convinced the US blew up the pipeline?
View Quote
IIRC there were a dozen or so members here that said the USA blew it up solely based on the pedophile in chief saying "we will shut it down".
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:41:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capta] [#50]
Page / 5589
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 5083 of 5589)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top