Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2006 8:56:22 AM EDT
Northrop Grumman's Newest Aircraft Carrier Takes a Bow

NEWPORT NEWS, Va., March 15, 2006 -- The nation's tenth and final Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, George H. W. Bush (CVN 77), grew by nearly 800 tons today as Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) lowered the upper bow section of the ship into place. The addition of the upper bow completes the flight deck and extends the overall length of the carrier to its full size, which is as long as the Empire State Building is tall.

The carrier is under construction at Northrop Grumman's Newport News sector, the nation's sole designer, builder and refueler of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. Weighing 780 tons and made up of 25 steel sections, the upper bow is one of the heaviest crane lifts in the ship's production plan. Newport News began construction on the upper bow unit last February.

"Landing the fully-outfitted upper bow on the ship is a significant milestone in the design and construction of CVN 77, and most importantly, a great team effort by our shipbuilders," said Scott Stabler, vice president for the CVN 77 program at Northrop Grumman Newport News. "We are on track for record shipboard construction progress at launch in October."

Newport News is building the George H. W. Bush using modular construction, a process where smaller sections of the ship are welded together to form units called super lifts. These super lifts are pre-outfitted and then lifted into the construction dry dock with the sector's massive 900-ton gantry crane. The upper bow unit is the 155th of 161 super lifts used to build the carrier. It joins the lower bow section which was set into place in the dry dock nearly one year ago.

The George H. W. Bush is the second carrier to have a new bulbous bow design that provides more buoyancy to the forward end of the ship and improves hull efficiency. Other new design features include an updated aviation fuel distribution system, a new marine sewage system and new propellers. The George H. W. Bush's keel was laid Sept. 6, 2003. The christening will occur in October 2006 with delivery to the U.S. Navy in late 2008.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool pics
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn.  That's big.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
That painted section is making the rest of the ship look like crap.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah it's got a Hemi.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#5]
'lil paint touchup needed on the other 98% of the carrier...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:11:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah it's got a Hemi.

Good one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#7]
anyone else hear the theme to star wars?

that's no moon  that's a space station.
it's to big to be a...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Think thats kewl? Wait until you see the CVN(X). New generation reactors with in-cycle fuel breeding which mean that they will last the life of the ship. Also is going to use a pottasium vapor colant loop spinning magnetic bearting turbo-alternators. It's going to have more then twice the electrical power avalible to the Nimitz class. It's electric drive motors will be much less maintnance intensive then the Nimitz but make it a much faster ship. Crew should be cut in half while the air wing is going to grow by about 20 combat air craft.

The CVN(X) is going to be one hell of a ship, although with the coming age of naval rail guns I can't help but wonder if the age of the carrier is going to come to an end when we get around to making a nuclear powered version of the DD(X) with 2nd generation rail guns. 600 miles inland, 3 minutes flight time, less then $3000 a shot, that will be a revolutionary ship.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]
They still build ships in America?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I could use a big crane
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I live right across the James River fron NNSY, so I got to watch the lift.  It's very cool to watch a carrier being built.

BTW, the reason the rest of the hull has not been painted is they are still cutting openings for overboard discharge, intakes, etc..  After the cutting and welding is complete then they paint.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Think thats kewl? Wait until you see the CVN(X). New generation reactors with in-cycle fuel breeding which mean that they will last the life of the ship. Also is going to use a pottasium vapor colant loop spinning magnetic bearting turbo-alternators. It's going to have more then twice the electrical power avalible to the Nimitz class. It's electric drive motors will be much less maintnance intensive then the Nimitz but make it a much faster ship. Crew should be cut in half while the air wing is going to grow by about 20 combat air craft.

The CVN(X) is going to be one hell of a ship, although with the coming age of naval rail guns I can't help but wonder if the age of the carrier is going to come to an end when we get around to making a nuclear powered version of the DD(X) with 2nd generation rail guns. 600 miles inland, 3 minutes flight time, less then $3000 a shot, that will be a revolutionary ship.

Don't forget the the advanced  mutli-function radar that can detect LO stuff. Obligatory CVN21 pic.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah it's got a Hemi.

sweet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

UAV's/UCAV's will keep Carriers relevant...'prolly.

Plus this.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the the advanced  mutli-function radar that can detect LO stuff. Obligatory CVN21 pic.

www.nn.northropgrumman.com/cvn21/images/DCS04-80-2.JPG

Yeah, and with all the Star Wars stuff, they still have a rendering showing a E-2C on the cat.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yeah, and with all the Star Wars stuff, they still have a rendering showing a E-2C on the cat.

'
It's not an E-2C and it most certainly is not your father's Hawkeye.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#17]
That must be awesome to have a carrier named after you.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice to see the rendering of the new boat with UPDATED fighters and superior aircraft...There are no F-14's on deck.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#20]
So how are we going to name the next class?  I hope that we go away from famous people and back to some of our classic ship names.  I'd love to see a Lexington or Saratoga or Wasp.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#21]
George H. W. Bush?

God how I wish we still named these things after significant battles in our nations history.

Saratoga...Lexington...Yorktown etc.

So much better.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
George H. W. Bush?

God how I wish we still named these things after significant battles in our nations history.

So much better.....

That's the domain of the cruisers now, while the submarines got the cities and states.

You have to understand the basic truth behind all this, battlefields and fish names don't vote.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#23]
There is a Wasp.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#24]
That is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Another cool link.... 56K beware....

Linkage
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
George H. W. Bush?

So much better.....

Like somebody else said, cruisers now are battlefields.

Although, I would like to point out that to the best of my knowledge the US Navy is currently lacking USS Ranger
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#28]
How many cans of primer to make the rest of the ship match?

I know it takes 20 cans to do a '66 Mustang, lemme do some math here...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#29]
So how much more capable is this ship than the other Nimitz Class carriers?

-K
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So how much more capable is this ship than the other Nimitz Class carriers?

-K

The CVN 77 George Bush is a transitional ship, the CVN 21 is the leap ahead. That said the CVN 77 still has some upgrades vs the previous members of the Nimitz class.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Only 5 years from keel laying to service?

That is a rather short time compared to some past CVNs, who lit a fire under these people?

Have they decided on a hull form for CVN-21?  I was hoping for the catamaran design like the HSV cargo ships... nice big WIIDE flight deck and hanger.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Oh God, I can't wait until she puts to sea...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#33]
They name those USMC assault ships which are basically small carrier after battles: Iwo Jima, Tarawa, Peililu, Hue City, etc.

PS.  If they name a ship after Clinton I am not sure what I'll do.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#34]
CVN 77 will have the revamped weapons elevator design that started with the Reagan, for starters.

Most up-to-date bird farm I've been on is CVN-73 USS George Washington, which is Japan bound in 2008. Kitty Hawk's relief.

The new clas is supposed to have electromagnetic catapaults and arresting gear.

We'll see. I just might still be in when the first of the new class gets commisioned.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
They name those USMC assault ships which are basically small carrier after battles: Iwo Jima, Tarawa, Peililu, Hue City, etc.

PS.  If they name a ship after Clinton I am not sure what I'll do.

They already did worse.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:19:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Be nice.

Carter is the only president who earned dolphins.  That's why he got the 3rd Seawolf.

Not saying they couldn't have picked a better name, though.  Same for CVN 77.  What happened to GOOD names?  Shit, the Brits get to name their boats stuff like "Indominable", "Illustrious", "Invincible", "Avenger"...  We used to have "Enterprise", "Intrepid", and good ones like that.  Now we've just got nearly-dead washed up old guys.  We don't even wait until they're dead first. Why can't we have something neat like "Riptide", "Stronghold", "Bastion", "Ironsides", or "Homeground"?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:30:59 AM EDT
[#37]
If you guys have never seen it, look for the documentary on the construction of the USS R. Reagan. It was filmed in the same place (Newport News). Very impressive to see how those super structures are "flown" in and placed so precisely. The tolerances are staggering for a ship that size.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:45:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, name them after famous battles, names like, "Terahn, Faluja, Bagdad" you get the idea....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Article I read last night, they guessed the CVN 21's first ship will be named USS Enterprise,
since that is the ship it will replace. Grain of salt time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Article I read last night, they guessed the CVN 21's first ship will be named USS Enterprise,

I can just about guarantee it won't be named Enterprise because it will replace the BIG E. You won't see two ships in commission at the same time with the same name. That's what will have to happen if it is to replace the BIG E.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can just about guarantee it won't be named Enterprise because it will replace the BIG E. You won't see two ships in commission at the same time with the same name. That's what will have to happen if it is to replace the BIG E.

Prolly right, here's a snippet from article with link

The Navy plans to deploy the CVN-21 in 2014. The yet-unnamed carrier will have a life expectancy of 50 years. Dwyer predicted the name is likely to be the Enterprise. That’s not a surprise since the CVN-21 will replace the aging CVN-65 USS Enterprise that has been sailing the seas since January 1962.

link
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sir, AFAIK deac of Big "E" is scheduled to begin here in NN in 2011, so decom will probably be in 2010.

I drove past PCU CVN77 this morning, did't notice she had a complete bow, but I don't usually pay much attention to that sort of stuff.  Modular construction of these ships has been going on for many years, even going back to the days of Nimitz only the "super" lifts weren't as "super" with the smaller bridge crane over shipway 11.  Just in case anyone noticed the crane that does the super lifts over shipway 12 is not a gantry crane as described in the original post.  

Additionally, advancements in the fleet usually eclipse new construction so many of the electronic and combat systems on the ship at delivery are back fitted to newer configurations during PSA.  JMHO, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#43]
We have several members of this board that work at this very shipyard.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sir, AFAIK deac of Big "E" is scheduled to begin here in NN in 2011, so decom will probably be in 2010.

It all depends on how many carriers Congress forces the Navy to keep. The desire is to become an all nuke carrier force. If Congress forces the 12 carrier issue then Enterprise will not be able to be decommed until there is a CVN-21 already in service. If they Navy gets its way then you're right, it could be named Enterprise; although, I have a feelling it will be named for another politician, probably a Democrat. Another JFK maybe?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It all depends on how many carriers Congress forces the Navy to keep. The desire is to become an all nuke carrier force. If Congress forces the 12 carrier issue then Enterprise will not be able to be decommed until there is a CVN-21 already in service. If they Navy gets its way then you're right, it could be named Enterprise; although, I have a feelling it will be named for another politician, probably a Democrat. Another JFK maybe?

Ugh.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

We're always going to need carriers (sea and space) and aircraft (air-breathers and otherwise)  The rail guns will provide some impressive precision strike capability, but they won't do much for air superiority.  Air superiority is a requirement to the success of ANY war.  

The rail guns on ships will be great.  The rail guns and directed energy weapons on aircraft will be even more impressive - both for air-to-air engagements and precision strike.  
Matt
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Be nice.

Carter is the only president who earned dolphins.  That's why he got the 3rd Seawolf.

Not saying they couldn't have picked a better name, though.  Same for CVN 77.  What happened to GOOD names?  Shit, the Brits get to name their boats stuff like "Indominable", "Illustrious", "Invincible", "Avenger"...  We used to have "Enterprise", "Intrepid", and good ones like that.  Now we've just got nearly-dead washed up old guys.  We don't even wait until they're dead first.

Why can't we have something neat like "Riptide", "Stronghold", "Bastion", "Ironsides", or "Homeground"?

+1.  My personal favorite (albeit from a TV show) is "Wrath of Achilles."
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
That must be awesome to have a carrier named after you.  

Yeah...too bad it was name after a guy who banned the impotation of military style semi auto rifle.
would love to have a sig 550, AUg or an FNC. but hey thanks to the man. that is just a dream now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What was old is new again. What was new is old.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

We're always going to need carriers (sea and space) and aircraft (air-breathers and otherwise)  The rail guns will provide some impressive precision strike capability, but they won't do much for air superiority.  Air superiority is a requirement to the success of ANY war.  

The rail guns on ships will be great.  The rail guns and directed energy weapons on aircraft will be even more impressive - both for air-to-air engagements and precision strike.  
Matt

Good reply. I figure DEW's will be on aircraft in our lifetime, on F-35/AC-130 first. Railgun I'm not sure about due to the massive energy required. We will prolly see railguns on tanks also.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top