Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2009 12:29:11 PM EDT
North Korean missile a crashed in the ocean.  Fail.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Breaking news!

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
it was intended to do that -
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Is Sean Penn happy now?

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what THEY want everyone to believe...

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think so.  U.S. says rocket landed in ocean
Pyongyang claims it launched an experimental communications satellite into orbit Sunday and that it's transmitting data and patriotic songs. U.S. and South Korean officials claim the entire rocket, including whatever payload it was carrying, ended up in the ocean.

But it doesn't really matter how successful the rocket launch was. Kim's critics claim he really was testing a ballistic missile capable of hitting U.S. territory.

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Good, but next time who knows, Obama will point and call the UN.......GOD HELP US!
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard Bush was behind it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
[Obama] STOP! Or I shall admonish you again![/Obama]
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Just depends on who you ask.  N Korea and Russia say payload entered into orbit. US says failure.  Will we ever really know the truth? Who knows?  Did the US ever really walk on the moon? Who knows?
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just depends on who you ask.  N Korea and Russia say payload entered into orbit. US says failure.  Will we ever really know the truth? Who knows?  Did the US ever really walk on the moon? Who knows?

oh not this shit
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ask Buzz Aldrin

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/09/29/Floridian/Lunar_lunacy.shtml

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
It does not matter if the outside world knows that it was a failure. Every North Korean from the highest general to the lowest peasant will be grinning and dancing over the stunning complete success of the new North Korean satellite that is circling the earth. Whether it is up there or not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask Buzz Aldrin

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z19/respero/aldrin.gif

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/09/29/Floridian/Lunar_lunacy.shtml

Grandpa took similar offense...

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It does not matter if the outside world knows that it was a failure. Every North Korean from the highest general to the lowest peasant will be grinning and dancing over the stunning complete success of the new North Korean satellite that is circling the earth. Whether it is up there or not.

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
which frequency do i tune to at what time to hear the Norks patriotic songs from the satelite.

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've for a long time been of the opinion that over half of this country's population is utterly stupid. Here's an example of what brought me to that conclusion.  ^^^^
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
The F-stick can't even grow rice..

And we give him a world stage.

I say we nuke about three or four really annoying countries...and the rest will quickly fall in line for centuries of 'cooperation'.

Tell my you've got a better plan.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've for a long time been of the opinion that over half of this country's population is utterly stupid. Here's an example of what brought me to that conclusion.  ^^^^

We seem to have a recent influx of new members with some trollish opinions.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#22]
It absolutely makes me go WTF when Russia supports an asshat like this. I mean, is there a better way to discredit yourself than to support his claims when the rest of the world says otherwise. Way to go comrads.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Hm.

I wonder if we shot it with a high energy laser?

They test their shit, we test ours at the same time?

HMmmmmmmmmm....
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It absolutely makes me go WTF when Russia supports an asshat like this. I mean, is there a better way to discredit yourself than to support his claims when the rest of the world says otherwise. Way to go comrads.

They don't support, they tolerate, because he is a huge PITA to America. The more attention we have to pay to NK, the less we pay to Russia.

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, to be fair to the guy, he does have a legitimate epistemological point.  in reality, the only guys who can possibly know the truth about the moonwalk are the guys who were actually on the moon.  no one else could have direct knowledge––they all observed it indirectly through radar, telemetry, etc.  if you really want to be hardcore about it, not even the guys who were there can know, because sense-perception cannot be epistemically justified or grounded––the dream argument is irrefutable.  so the only justification for saying that man walked on the moon is that so many lines of evidence from disparate sources agree on it––our yardstick is simple consensus.

that said, those of us living in the really real world are absolutely justified in our belief that a moonwalk occurred, precisely because of the agreement of all these lines of evidence.  skepticism and the problem of induction are fun to talk about and all, but when hume went to bed, he certainly expected for the sun to rise in the morning.  

so we can get a really, really good idea of the results of the launch through radar tracks and other means.  it might not count as epistemic, but the only epistemic facts are that i exist, that time exists, that causation exists, and that there is a world external to me.  anything and everything else is based on induction.  and IMO, our justification for these kinds of things is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you were designing a missile to deliver an EMP device over Japan or HO, or the West Coast, you would want it to do just that.  Just like the Iranian rockets that allegedly fail on assent over Syria
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#28]
fail.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, to be fair to the guy, he does have a legitimate epistemological point.  in reality, the only guys who can possibly know the truth about the moonwalk are the guys who were actually on the moon.  no one else could have direct knowledge––they all observed it indirectly through radar, telemetry, etc.  if you really want to be hardcore about it, not even the guys who were there can know, because sense-perception cannot be epistemically justified or grounded––the dream argument is irrefutable.  so the only justification for saying that man walked on the moon is that so many lines of evidence from disparate sources agree on it––our yardstick is simple consensus.

that said, those of us living in the really real world are absolutely justified in our belief that a moonwalk occurred, precisely because of the agreement of all these lines of evidence.  skepticism and the problem of induction are fun to talk about and all, but when hume went to bed, he certainly expected for the sun to rise in the morning.  

so we can get a really, really good idea of the results of the launch through radar tracks and other means.  it might not count as epistemic, but the only epistemic facts are that i exist, that time exists, that causation exists, and that there is a world external to me.  anything and everything else is based on induction.  and IMO, our justification for these kinds of things is pretty solid.

How did the laser targets that we're still using to this day get accurately placed on the moon's surface? Keep in mind that they have to be aligned to reflect the laser back to Earth, and their location on the moon is critical otherwise we'd never be able to point a beam right at them. That is pretty irrefutable as I see it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
which frequency do i tune to at what time to hear the Norks patriotic songs from the satelite.  

I think XM/Sirius carries, check the program guide.

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the laser targets that we're still using to this day get accurately placed on the moon's surface? Keep in mind that they have to be aligned to reflect the laser back to Earth, and their location on the moon is critical otherwise we'd never be able to point a beam right at them. That is pretty irrefutable as I see it.

Aliens... and I mean the E.T. kind, not the Juan kind.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I heard Bush was behind it.

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so.  U.S. says rocket landed in ocean
Pyongyang claims it launched an experimental communications satellite into orbit Sunday and that it's transmitting data and patriotic songs. U.S. and South Korean officials claim the entire rocket, including whatever payload it was carrying, ended up in the ocean.

But it doesn't really matter how successful the rocket launch was. Kim's critics claim he really was testing a ballistic missile capable of hitting U.S. territory.

The whole satellite story was a cover. This was actually a successful test of an IRBM. Everyone knows this, except you and the people of the PRK.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We had enough energy emitted from SPY-1 emitters in the Sea of Japan to cook birds in flight. We have powerful radars like the floating X-Band radar and aircraft, I'm sure, tracking this thing. I will trust what NORTHCOM and other US commands say over what the PRK and Russia say.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I also heard it completely destroyed the patch of ocean it was targeted at!
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Of course it came down in the ocean.  Just as they intended.  Did you think it was going to come down on US soil?  They didn't want to start a war yet, just prove that they can.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Recovery op...........
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Where it allegedly landed in the ocean, was the distant great enough (if aimed at the US) to reach the US?
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The moon landing part was a little much but the rest of the statement was accurate.  We'll likely never know if there really was a satellite launched or not.  The US media is all too happy to leave out important stuff or twist a story however they want.  Im reminded of the news items regarding the Russia/Georgia conflict that painted Russia as the aggressor, but months later turned out to be flat out false.  You can't decry the "liberal media" in one gasp then take their reporting as gospel the next.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I want to know how accurate it was in where the first  booster landed after jettison (west of Japan in the ocean?).
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The moon landing part was a little much but the rest of the statement was accurate.  We'll likely never know if there really was a satellite launched or not.  The US media is all too happy to leave out important stuff or twist a story however they want.  Im reminded of the news items regarding the Russia/Georgia conflict that painted Russia as the aggressor, but months later turned out to be flat out false.  You can't decry the "liberal media" in one gasp then take their reporting as gospel the next.

No, but I can choose to believe the word of our generals (the good guys) over the word of their generals (the enemy).  A satellite program, ANY satellite program (especially something like a communications bird), would be cost prohibitive for NK IMHO. They're dumping pretty much every cent they have into weapons, their military, and oppressing their people slaves.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The F-stick can't even grow rice..

And we give him a world stage.

I say we nuke about three or four really annoying countries...and the rest will quickly fall in line for centuries of 'cooperation'.

Tell my you've got a better plan.

Nope. I do NOT have a better plan. Kinda like yours, a LOT. I'm in!
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least somebody understands what I was saying.  It's an analogy.  I was not on the rocket so I can't say what really happened last night. I only know what they, "the powers that be", tell us.  We all know that we are told what we are sopposed to believe, and it may leave out details.  Three sides to every story.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
[Obama] Uhhhh... STOP! Or... uhhhh... I shall...  uhhhh... admonish...  uhhhhh... you again![/Obama]

Fixed

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is indeed a "line of evidence", but hardly conclusive and certainly not "irrefutable".  the only reason that you believe the laser targets are there is because someone told you.  how does that person know that they are there?  because someone told him.  do NASA technicians "know" that the targets are there?  no––the only evidence they have is inductive:  "this is the behavior we would expect to see if laser targets are there, and this is what we see, so very probably the targets are there".  but they do not have direct experience––they see quantified data, which is not the same thing as directly seeing the targets.  

and does this "prove" that the moonwalk took place?  no, it doesn't.  perhaps an unmanned mission went there and planted self-aligning targets, which would account for the radar and telemetry tracks.  but we have another line of evidence––the direct reports of the astronauts.  but they could be lying.  the moon rocks might have come from a backyard in wisconsin.  the whole thing might indeed have been elaborate fakery by the government.  

you weren't there, so you cannot know.  you can only listen to what you are told, look at the various lines of evidence, and decide what it is that you believe.

you and i believe the same thing––that men landed on the moon.  but neither of us can KNOW it.

[edit:  sorry for the hijack.  all this is applicable to the ultimate result of the NK incident––i happen to believe the statement of the US military personnel, but i can't know it as fact]
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 4/5/2009 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had enough energy emitted from SPY-1 emitters in the Sea of Japan to cook birds in flight. We have powerful radars like the floating X-Band radar and aircraft, I'm sure, tracking this thing. I will trust what NORTHCOM and other US commands say over what the PRK and Russia say.

This.  I'll know tomorrow when I get into work...and I ain't telling NONE of you beotches!!!  
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is indeed a "line of evidence", but hardly conclusive and certainly not "irrefutable".  the only reason that you believe the laser targets are there is because someone told you.  how does that person know that they are there?  because someone told him.  do NASA technicians "know" that the targets are there?  no––the only evidence they have is inductive:  "this is the behavior we would expect to see if laser targets are there, and this is what we see, so very probably the targets are there".  but they do not have direct experience––they see quantified data, which is not the same thing as directly seeing the targets.  

and does this "prove" that the moonwalk took place?  no, it doesn't.  perhaps an unmanned mission went there and planted self-aligning targets, which would account for the radar and telemetry tracks.  but we have another line of evidence––the direct reports of the astronauts.  but they could be lying.  the moon rocks might have come from a backyard in wisconsin.  the whole thing might indeed have been elaborate fakery by the government.  

you weren't there, so you cannot know.  you can only listen to what you are told, look at the various lines of evidence, and decide what it is that you believe.

you and i believe the same thing––that men landed on the moon.  but neither of us can KNOW it.

My cousin who to this day works for NASA was on that program from the beginning. He's not a liar, nor would he participate in any kind of bullshit like a faked mission. They'd have had to kill him by now. At some point, the overwhelming preponderance of evidence becomes as fact. Ohm's law for example. I'm sure there are some people out there that would try to dispute Ohm's law, and they too are wacko's. In my mind I KNOW it. There is no doubt, no question, no suspicion. It is, for all intents and purposes, fact.

ETA: Having thought about it for another minute, I think you and I are just taking different approaches to saying the same basic thing.  When the evidence is so totally overwhelming in favor of there having been a series of moon missions completed successfully as reported to the world, I see it as fact. I can't watch electrons flow through conductors with my own eyes, and I can't watch their behavior in various components to become an eye witness to the validity of Ohm's law, but I know - absolutely KNOW - that they do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, we have a history of claiming the NORKs have failed at stuff they haven't (like the nuke test that "fizzled"), and of generally not being forthcoming about the strengths and weaknesses, successes and failures of our enemies.

Psyops, disinformation, call it whatever you like, but it's foolish to blindly believe any public statements or media reports about anything where national security is involved.

I've seen a human being edited into footage of a presidential visit, simply because it was embarrassing for the company, a defense contractor, for this person not to have been there. That edited footage was broadcast on the network news, this was almost twenty years ago. So I'm likely to be more skeptical than average of anything the media has to say anyway. But come on, you've gotta be nuts to take it all at face value.

Of course it's equally likely it failed, maybe even more likely, but we'll never know for sure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top