Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 8:22:57 AM EDT
I saw a news report that said the mayor of New Orleans was not going to open shelters for this hurricane. Instead, he wanted total evacuation. If that hurricane hits anywhere close to N.O. there will be massive loss of life. This could real ugly, real fast.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure he's going to personally pick up everyone without transportation. What a fucktard!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#2]
From cnn:
www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/09/15/hurricane.ivan/index.html

I read somewhere, there could be 20foot storm surges, and most of N.O. is below sea level.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
All of NO is under sea level. If there is a 20 ft storm surge, all of NO will be under at 6 feet of water.

No shelter is going help them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The whole city is 8-10 feet under sea level. If a level 4 hurricane hits putting people in shelters will just help concentrate the bodies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Storm surge wont be the direct flood effect that you think in N.O. The pumps trying to get rid of the flood water will not keep up and the surge will give the canals no place to drain. Storm surge wont be like some tidalwave sweeping through the Vieux Carree. Shelters would indeed help. The whole city is low but there are places that aren't 12' below sealevel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Storm surge wont be the direct flood effect that you think in N.O. The pumps trying to get rid of the flood water will not keep up and the surge will give the canals no place to drain. Storm surge wont be like some tidalwave sweeping through the Vieux Carree. Shelters would indeed help. The whole city is low but there are places that aren't 12' below sealevel.

That is assuming the levies will hold which they probably won’t if N.O. takes a direct hit. In that scenario shelters are irrelevant.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm sure someone from the area can get into better details, but from what I hear, the damn city has a tough enough time keeping water out during good times.

All the canals, levys, pumps are a very delicate balance, it's amazing that this has never been an issue before from the sounds of it.

Its been 40 years since a hurricane has hit N.O.

I wish them luck.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
New Orleans is sinkin' and I don't wanna swim!

If you are in N.O., you need to get out.  There are no shelters because they can't keep out 20ft of water, even with the pumps.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#10]
N.O. is 9ft. under sea level.  How the hell can a city be Under sea level.  Strange
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]
The shelters are below sea level too. Anybody stuck better get on the roof...or up in a skyscraper off canal street.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#12]
If they do open a shelter there they will need to pass out scuba gear at the door.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#13]
The levees are only on the river and intercoastal canal. There is no levee on the Ponchartrain side. The Mississippi can't take down the levee and neither can a hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm from N.O. The reason its possible to be under sea level is b/c of the levees. It makes a bowl and the city is at the bottom of the bowl. If the levees are breeched we're fucked. What amazes me is that everyone has known this forever but we never do anything about it except pray and get lucky. There's a decent possibility that you will see flooding like none other. I just hope that shit goes east.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]

The Mississippi can't take down the levee and neither can a hurricane.

Like hell it can’t, it is a distinct possibility. And you are deluding yourself if you believe that.

You get a single failure point in a storm of this magnitude and whole sections of the levee can’t fail in a matter of moments. Hydrodynamic forces on this scale are not to be screwed with, far less has caused the Mississippi to change course.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
US Army Corps of Engineers have indeed determined that within the next 100 years for certain and maybe the next 50 years that the Mississippi River will change course at the Old River Locks just north of Baton Rouge. My point is that normal river flooding along a riprap reinforced levee hasn't broken the levee yet. A flood from a tidal surge wouldn't backup enough water to take out the levee. Aint gonna happen. Money back guarantee. I've stood on the levee south of Baton Rouge in the biggest flood of the century with less than one foot of dry levee left between the river and total disaster.You could feel the vibration hundreds of yards away. I have gone through Betsy, Camielle, Juan, Danny, and many others but they don't even come close to the rage of the river on the levee structure. YMMV

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top