User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:12:21 AM EDT

----------------------------------------------------------
www.azcentral.com
No more sex for detectives in prostitution case

Associated Press
Feb. 17, 2006 01:30 PM

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. - The sheriff said Friday he will no longer allow detectives to receive sexual services while investigating suspected prostitution after they spent $1,200 at massage parlors last month and sparked a public outcry.

Spotsylvania County Sheriff Howard Smith defended the practice as necessary to obtain a conviction but told his department he was suspending it.

"As sheriff, I understand the feelings and concerns the citizens of this county have expressed," Smith said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Friday. "And I empathize with those feelings. Because of the public's express response, I have suspended this practice." advertisement  

Court documents show that four times last month, county detectives allowed women at Moon Spa to perform sex acts on them - once leaving a $350 tip. A total of $1,200 was spent during the visits, Smith said. He said multiple visits were necessary so detectives could build trust with the operators.

Detectives shut down Moon Spa last month. The two suspected operators and three women accused of working there face several charges, including prostitution and sodomy, Smith said.

Smith maintained the sexual contact was necessary to obtain a conviction. But law enforcement officials say undercover officers only need to get an offer of sex for money to move the case forward.

The practice has been used in Spotsylvania since at least 2003.

Earlier this week, Smith told The Washington Post that sexual contact is needed during the investigations because most professionals know not to say anything incriminating. And conversation is difficult, he said, because masseuses at the Asian-run parlors in the northern Virginia county speak little English.

But several members of Spotsylvania's Board of Supervisors have spoken out against the methods used in the investigation.

"All of us ... have been worried about this episode tarnishing the county and making us a laughingstock of the nation," board chairman Henry "Hap" Connors told the AP Friday. "That's why I came out early on and asked the sheriff to cease using these tactics."

Spotsylvania Commonwealth's Attorney William Neely said he respects Smith's decision to end the practice, but refused to apologize for the officers' tactics
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Legally "getting some" for free while doing your job. If this was still in effect I might have been moving to PA to sign up
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
These guys are turds.   I can't think of many things that are lower than paying for sex, building trust
with the sex worker, and then turning around and busting her when YOU were breaking the law every bit as much as she did.

I've never thought that prostitution should be illegal ANYWAY.  What's so intrinsically wrong with
doing something as horrible to someone as giving them an orgasm and making a few bucks in the process?

I also believe that cops should absolutely be held to the same standard as everybody else when it
comes to obeying the laws.    Those particular cops should be charged with solicitation of prostitution
and receiving sexual favors in exchange for money.     Add on breach of the public trust, misuse of
public funds,  dereliction of duty (officers getting laid on duty isn't what they're paid to do by the people),
and maybe I can figure out a few more things to add later.

CJ

I agree, but some of these asian women are traded like animals. Plus there are mafias of all sorts, so its not some poor mother trying to raise a kid after her husband ran off.

These are dens of evil!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Did they allow them to buy and snort coke to infiltrate circles of drug dealers?  Kill innocents to join a street gang?  Shoot dogs to bust people suspected of animal cruelty?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Honest honey, I was just doing my job.

All the other guys were doing it.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Same thing happens here. Some LEO "entrap" these ladies by actually having sex with them then bust them after the act. They said that it was necessary to get a solid conviction !!! I say BS !!!

The mere fact that there was an offer and an acceptance to the offer of payment for sex, that is enough for a solid conviction! It is only a way for them to get laid for free.

I hate the fact that this is being done. Yes they are "prostitutes", but I think that that practice of consumating the act then busting them is degrading and adding "insult to injury".
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Court documents show that four times last month, county detectives allowed women at Moon Spa to perform sex acts on them - once leaving a $350 tip.

Sounds like these cops were actually "johns" and should be busted for solitication themselves...and DANG, she must have been pretty good!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like I'm going to quit my police job then.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
These guys are turds.   I can't think of many things that are lower than paying for sex, building trust
with the sex worker, and then turning around and busting her when YOU were breaking the law every bit as much as she did.

I've never thought that prostitution should be illegal ANYWAY.  What's so intrinsically wrong with
doing something as horrible to someone as giving them an orgasm and making a few bucks in the process?

I also believe that cops should absolutely be held to the same standard as everybody else when it
comes to obeying the laws.    Those particular cops should be charged with solicitation of prostitution
and receiving sexual favors in exchange for money.     Add on breach of the public trust, misuse of
public funds,  dereliction of duty (officers getting laid on duty isn't what they're paid to do by the people),
and maybe I can figure out a few more things to add later.

CJ

Oh I can bud!

During the 80s in Houston the city raided a massage parlor/cat house then setup cameras.  They operated the facility for about six months sending videos to the perps houses with a 'No contest" plea form, pre-established fines, and envelops to send their money in.

This lasted until some single guy blew the whistle and took the court option.  The media got hold of it and the whole thing was quite the scandal.  

According to the media, it was a hell of money maker.

Tj

and that's what this shit is all about. the .gov just wants it's cut from the income generated by these "morallity" crimes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#12]

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, LEO should not break laws to apprehend criminals, but on the other hand, they are given lattitude to break some laws (that is engage in some illegal behavior).  For example, they can purchase drugs in order to bust drug dealers, but they can't ingest the drugs (if my law and order fu is strong).

Perhaps someone who knows something can explain where that line gets drawn.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Court documents show that four times last month, county detectives allowed women at Moon Spa to perform sex acts on them - once leaving a $350 tip. A total of $1,200 was spent during the visits, Smith said. He said multiple visits were necessary so detectives could build trust with the operators.

Detectives shut down Moon Spa last month. The two suspected operators and three women accused of working there face several charges, including prostitution and **sodomy**, Smith said.

So did the cops take it in the pooper with a strap-on dong or what?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#14]
prostitution is a law based on moral grounds.....whose morals mine or yours who is right...while id never pay for sex is some men want  buy it and some women want to sell that is their business not mine....

You dont need to touch a trick to bust a trick.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how many local cops are in deep shit at home, from wives that didn't know their husbands *were* getting laid in these operations until they read the newspaper.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Detectives shut down Moon Spa last month. The two suspected operators and three women accused of working there face several charges, including prostitution and **sodomy**, Smith said.

So did the cops take it in the pooper with a strap-on dong or what?  

Sodomy can be either anal or ORAL sex hell the militaries older definition of Sodomy was anything other than missionary position cause it was unnatural

sod·om·y Pronunciation Key  (sd-m)
n.

Any of various forms of sexual intercourse other than missionary or sex that is held to be unnatural or abnormal, especially anal intercourse or bestiality.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Actually,  some scientists who took the time and effort to STUDY sexual positions and their
anatomical  geometry have determined that the most NATURAL position for intercourse is "doggy style".
Everything fits together most naturally that way and some people say that they get the most
pleasure from it.  Particularly women.    I know  more than one woman who says she can't achieve
orgasm by any position other than doggy.

It must have been fun to do that research.

I prefer missionary, personally,  as there's something very stimulating about seeing her pretty face
and her smile.   It's more personal than the back of her head in view.

CJ

I don't agree with the definition I was just throwing it out there....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Legalize it, regulate it, and tap it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, darn!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top