Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 3:49:56 PM EDT
Ok, I've heard somewhere that you aren't supposed to serve beer or other alcoholic beverages in glasses that have had milk in them. That it affects the taste.

Any truth to this? Or just an old wives tale?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I can't make white russians anymore?

Pure BS.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You do wash your glasses, don't you?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard that from an old bar tender once ---
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
All my glasses are used for everything I drink.

Once they are rinsed and go through the dishwasher I don't see how the milk taste can effect anything.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess I can't make white russians anymore?

Pure BS.

Actually, I mispoke.

It was basicly for beer.

I heard this from someone who used to bartend (and of course they picked it up from other bartenders).

Basicly, you could make white russians and stuff, since it was made in rocks glasses, but weren't supposed to in any kind of glasses that beer would be served in.

It was supposed to affect how the beer would taste some how.

It didn't make much since to me, but hey, you never know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, chemistry labs reuse glass containers that have held stuff MUCH nastier than milk.

MAJOR wive's tale....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#8]
We used to take shot out of pippets that held ammonia and sulfuric acid prior to washing and no effect was determined. I call BS/Old Wive's Tale.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe if your "glasses" were plastic.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Maybe if your "glasses" were plastic.

+1

Real glass does not hold the taste of anything if it's washed properly.  Old wives bullshit tale...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't be any worse than drinking beer from an aluminum can.  Old wives tale, and not a very good one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I hear that they have these new-fangled things, soap, water, scrub-brush, washrag, dishwasher.

I might have to check them out one of these days....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You do wash your glasses, don't you?

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
well...well... how about mixing beer and milk 50/50, is this okay
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#15]
None of you guys homebrew, do you.  (Note that that's not phrased as a question. :p )

http://www.probrewer.com/resources/library/42-foam.pdf

Oh well.  Go read "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee.  In it (at least in my copy, from the mid-1980's) he discusses various things such as the effects of milk on beer foam, and the effects of copper bowls on whipping egg whites for meringue.

It's all hard science, not bullshit.

Experiment:  Take a glass.  Dump in some beer, making a nice, thick, foamy head.  Put in one drop of milk.  Watch the foam go away.

Experiment:  Take two glasses.  Dump some beer in each, making two nice, thick, foamy heads.  Put one drop of milk into one of the glasses.  Compare and contrast what happens to the heads.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's all hard science, not bullshit..

Experiment:  Take a glass.  Dump in some beer, making a nice, thick, foamy head.  Put in one drop of milk.  Watch the foam go away.

Experiment:  Take two glasses.  Dump some beer in each, making two nice, thick, foamy heads.  Put one drop of milk into one of the glasses.  Compare and contrast what happens to the heads.

Ok, here is an experiment for ya.... take two glasses.  Fill one with milk.  Then WASH it.  Then fill both with beer.  Compare and contrast what happens to the heads.  Compare and contrast what happens to the taste.

Uhhhhh.... nothing.  You just drank two identical beers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Glass doesn't absorb things.   Plastic this could be somewhat true, but not glass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top