Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 11:47:12 PM EDT
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/21/inside-the-beltway-97423759/

SWORDLESS SAILORS

Graduating midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis are being told in writing to leave at home or in their vehicles all "ceremonial swords" and anything else "that might be considered a weapon or a threat by screeners" for Friday's outdoor commencement ceremonies featuring an address by President Barack Obama.

Inside the Beltway has obtained the academy's list of prohibited items for this year's graduation exercises, which, besides ceremonial swords, includes umbrellas.

Yes, cell phones and texting are still allowed.

Does he really expect Naval Academy graduates to attack him with swords?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/21/inside-the-beltway-97423759/

SWORDLESS SAILORS

Graduating midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis are being told in writing to leave at home or in their vehicles all "ceremonial swords" and anything else "that might be considered a weapon or a threat by screeners" for Friday's outdoor commencement ceremonies featuring an address by President Barack Obama.

Inside the Beltway has obtained the academy's list of prohibited items for this year's graduation exercises, which, besides ceremonial swords, includes umbrellas.

Yes, cell phones and texting are still allowed.

Does he really expect Naval Academy graduates to attack him with swords?

Yes, I'm sure Obama personally asked the Secret Service to do this, and this is unprecedented.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If that fuckstick has hair one on his nuts, he will tell the secret service to forget about  that shit...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Something bad about Obama, involving weapons and the military, that is dated almost a month ago?

How did you get this amazing scoop that no one on GD has ever heard of before?

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Something bad about Obama, involving weapons and the military, that is dated almost a month ago?

Yeah, we didn't have a 5+ page thread on this topic already or anything .
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]
By decree of Glorious Leader!

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to last month and a subject that has been beaten to death around here in multiple threads.

First, the sword is not part of the graduation uniform.
Second, this isn't the first presidential visit that has admonished the Midshipmen to do the very same thing.

Now, please go and criticize the president on his policies, not on irrelevancies.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah don't you dare bring a damn umbrella in there those things are lethal!

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#9]
will all police beside SS need to be disarmed?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#10]
"There can be only one !!! "
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh teh noez!!

Gimme a break, same happened under President Bush as president obama.  Like Dport stated, bust him on his policies.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh please. Our military has turned into a bunch of pussies anyways. Jesus christ one of the airmen I work with was busted for having a god damned air soft gun in his dorm room.

Air soft. Shoots plastic balls.

Can't even have that.

Back in my day I had a compound bow with broadheads in the quiver hanging on the wall of my dorm room. They'd shit themselves today if they saw that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Welcome to last month and a subject that has been beaten to death around here in multiple threads.

Second, this isn't the first presidential visit that has admonished the Midshipmen to do the very same thing.

Now, please go and criticize the president on his policies, not on irrelevancies.

Sorry us lowly folks can't do a search in GD. I think it is pretty lame that ANY President would be afraid of military cadets with swords.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh please. #1 Our military has turned into a bunch of pussies anyways. Jesus christ one of the #2 airmen I work with was busted for having a god damned air soft gun in his dorm room.

Can't even have that.

Back in my day I had a compound bow with broadheads in the quiver hanging on the wall of my dorm room. They'd shit themselves today if they saw that.

#1: Bold statement. Me and all my pussy buddies disagree. Funny, I didn't feel like so much of a pussy during my time in the Marine Corps. I guess not enough of us died for your standards, right? Holy fucking shit.  

#2: .......... well.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Actually....yes.

When Obama came to my city for a campaign event, our SWAT team was not allowed to deploy snipers, and team members were not allowed to carry our .223's, but UMP45's were ok.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah don't you dare bring a damn umbrella in there those things are lethal!

And those brass buttons look menacing, take off all their uniforms.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry us lowly folks can't do a search in GD. I think it is pretty lame that ANY President would be afraid of military cadets with swords.

1)  It's not part of the prescribed cadet uniform, so it is a stretch to assume the cadets would be the one's carrying them.
2)  The event was open to a large number of civilians - family, etc.
3)  A no weapons policy just makes sense for the way Secret Service operates.  A little extra reminder that this includes swords is helpful, should uncle Harry be thinking about maybe presenting his nephew with an officer's sword or what not at graduation.  Or, maybe his nephew might have just been presented it, and woul dbe carrying it still to the event itself.  It would be a bit embarassing to have it confiscated, whereas a simple reminder would have people decide to maybe do such a presentation afterward, or make a detour prior.

Stepping mentally back after being presented with a media-produced article, assessing the actual facts, and applying a little bit of analysis goes a long way,

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1)  It's not part of the prescribed cadet uniform, so it is a stretch to assume the cadets would be the one's carrying them.
3)  A no weapons policy just makes sense for the way Secret Service operates.  A little extra reminder that this includes swords is helpful, should uncle Harry be thinking about maybe presenting his nephew with an officer's sword or what not at graduation.  Or, maybe his nephew might have just been presented it, and woul dbe carrying it still to the event itself.  It would be a bit embarassing to have it confiscated, whereas a simple reminder would have people decide to maybe do such a presentation afterward, or make a detour prior.

Stepping mentally back after being presented with a media-produced article, assessing the actual facts, and applying a little bit of analysis goes a long way,

THEY ARE NOT CADETS. THEY ARE MIDSHIPMEN.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

A mishipment is still a cadet just like a deck is still a floor and a cover is still a hat.

Having a special cutesy name for things doesn't negate standard english.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually....yes.

When Obama came to my city for a campaign event, our SWAT team was not allowed to deploy snipers, and team members were not allowed to carry our .223's, but UMP45's were ok.

This is true.

My old Det SGT was tasked to pull counter sniper security when Clinton visited Bosnia.  The SS would not allow them to even touch their guns.  They had to stand behind them with the actions open.  Each sniper had a SS agent there with them at their position.

Seems Democrats dont trust out Military brothers.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

A mishipment is still a cadet just like a deck is still a floor and a cover is still a hat.

Um, that's not right. If you want to say they are students at a military academy, then you'd be correct. To call them cadets is incorrect. They are not.
The Navy did have cadets at one point in time. They ranked below Midshipmen.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Obama and his assclowns are a bunch of pussies
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#24]
The US Air Force Academy has Cadets. At least that's what they were called when my brother graduated in 1991.

Oh,  they got to wear their swords when Bush, Sr. presented them with their diplomas too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

Um, that's not right. If you want to say they are students at a military academy, then you'd be correct. To call them cadets is incorrect. They are not.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cadet
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oh please. Our military has turned into a bunch of pussies anyways. Jesus christ one of the airmen I work with was busted for having a god damned air soft gun in his dorm room.

Can't even have that.

Well me and the bunch of "pussies" I'm deployed with definetily take offense to that!!  Would you care to rephrase or would you like to let your comment stand and just be considered an assclown
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#27]
This is Secret Service at work, not Obama.  Started long ago.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

Because Merriam-Webster is the source for all things Navy...

I guess I can call a magazine a clip, if it's in the dictionary, right?

2clip
Function:
noun
Date:
15th century
1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles ; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip

The Navy has floors and decks. We have windows and portholes. We have doors and hatches. We had cadets and have midshipmen. It's all about context. Addressing people/places/things by their proper titles shows professionalism.

ETA: Hey at least we found another dumb topic to bicker about, rather than this played out old topic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

Because Merriam-Webster is the source for all things Navy...

I guess I can call a magazine a clip, if it's in the dictionary, right?

2clip
Function:
noun
Date:
15th century
1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles ; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip

The Navy has floors and decks. We have windows and portholes. We have doors and hatches. We had cadets and have midshipmen. It's all about context. Addressing people/places/things by their proper titles shows professionalism.

The dictionary reflects standard use of English.  People do use clip to refer to magazines.

In the US Navy, the term they give their cadets is "midshipmen" - that does not mean they are not cadets, in the common english use of the word.

Your professionalism concern does not explain why doors, windows, and floors are called decks, portholes, and hatches - even when dealing with buildings on land.  The fact it, it is really just a cultural tradition.

Either way, the way you explain to a normal person what a hatch is, to to tell them, "its a door on a ship."  "Door" is simply a more generic term.

I often deal with translating stuff between different languages, so I have a particular dislike for military PC that overcomplicates communication.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your professionalism concern does not explain why doors, windows, and floors are called decks, portholes, and hatches - even when dealing with buildings on land.  The fact it, it is really just a cultural tradition.

Either way, the way you explain to a normal person what a hatch is, to to tell them, "its a door on a ship."  "Door" is simply a more generic term.

I often deal with translating stuff between different languages, so I have a particular dislike for military PC that overcomplicates communication.

A hatch isn't a door on a ship, I hate to tell you. We have non-tight doors, air-tight doors, and water-tight doors. Doors are something that allows you to move horizontally. A hatch, and their companions scuttles, allow you to move vertically, i.e. on deck to another.

Another example is an overhead and a ceiling. An overhead is not a ceiling. We have ceilings on ships that are used to hide the overhead. Neither is a floor a deck. We have floors and decks on ships. The floors cover the decks.  A bulkhead is not a wall. We have walls and bulkheads on ships (The difference would be similar to a load bearing wall vs a cosmetic wall. That may not mean much to you as a user of the house, but it makes a big difference to someone in construction!). A porthole is not a window, again we have both. Neither is a cadet a Midshipmen, because the Navy has had both in the past.

What I think you fail to realize is these terms were developed not to complicate communication, but to enhance communication. These terms were developed to distinguish between similar items with different function.

Using such terminology in a building is something I despise.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#31]
nvm
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, as that's the only time I've had to deal with them we are probably far more in agreement than we realize.

Try explaining to an Iraqi studying English why the other guy (civilian and retired Marine) calls the ground (outside!) a "deck" and you might understand my frustration.

But, I still hold a midshipman is a type of cadet .
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A hatch isn't a door on a ship, I hate to tell you. We have non-tight doors, air-tight doors, and water-tight doors. Doors are something that allows you to move horizontally. A hatch, and their companions scuttles, allow you to move vertically, i.e. on deck to another.

Another example is an overhead and a ceiling. An overhead is not a ceiling. We have ceilings on ships that are used to hide the overhead. Neither is a floor a deck. We have floors and decks on ships. The floors cover the decks.  A bulkhead is not a wall. We have walls and bulkheads on ships (The difference would be similar to a load bearing wall vs a cosmetic wall. That may not mean much to you as a user of the house, but it makes a big difference to someone in construction!). A porthole is not a window, again we have both. Neither is a cadet a Midshipmen, because the Navy has had both in the past.

What I think you fail to realize is these terms were developed not to complicate communication, but to enhance communication. These terms were developed to distinguish between similar items with different function.

Most squids I've met insist on using that terminology absolutely everywhere.

And I use the term "squid" with the utmost respect and admiration.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, as that's the only time I've had to deal with them we are probably far more in agreement than we realize.

Try explaining to an Iraqi studying English why the other guy (civilian and retired Marine) calls the ground (outside!) a "deck" and you might understand my frustration.

But, I still hold a midshipman is a type of cadet .

LOL!

Don't get me started on Marines. They insist on calling doors hatches for some god-unknown reason.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Most squids I've met insist on using that terminology absolutely everywhere.

And I use the term "squid" with the utmost respect and admiration.

Funny, most of my fellow squids are too busy calling ladders "stairs" and substituting equally wrong civilian lingo into the shipboard environment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top