Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 7:16:57 PM EDT
Yeah, I love this car and you NEVER see these things around here. I have only ever seen one up until tonight, a black R34 on the 5 Freeway going to the Irvine Spectrum.

Anyways, it was white with gold wheels headed southbound on Carbon Canyon Rd about 7PM local time. Couldnt tell what year it was. Caught it as it went by on a corner and didnt get a clear shot of the tail lights. Anyone else seen this car?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah I saw it too, he was going fast
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, at 7pm PST I was watching the RNC
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny thing is that my two favorite unobtainable vehciles are Nissans.  I'd love to have a Skyline and a diesel engined Australian-spec Patrol.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Skylines are everywhere here, getting too common for my liking, same with supras.

Patrols are mad 4wds.

Why cant you get Landcruisers, Patrols, Pajeros etc over there?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen one in--believe it or not--Kennesaw Georgia.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've seen one in--believe it or not--Kennesaw Georgia.  

I have not seen that one, but I believe my brother has.  thing is FAST.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
warning: Hijack in progress.  I saw a NEW '05 Mustang rollin' north on I-75 about 150 miles from Detroit.  Bright Yellow with body lines that cause a spontanious erection.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Skylines are everywhere here, getting too common for my liking, same with supras.

Patrols are mad 4wds.

Good freakin' question.  The landcruiser we have over here now is a bloated luxury beast that probably isn't half as capable as it used to be.

At least we have the Monaro now!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Patrols are mad 4wds.

They arent imported by the manufacturers. Well the Land Cruiser 100 V8 is (I have one). Toyota never brought in the 70 series, or the Prado or any diesels (emissions). The Pajero, 4 dr only,  is available, called the Montero, few buy it.  Patrols were imported until the late 60s, but much rarer than 42 Cruisers.  The Defenders been out since 1995. We did get the Holden Jackeroo - Trooper - but NLA I think.

100 Cruisers are plenty capable- if you want you can convert to a 105 (solid front axle instead of IFS). Few wheel them due to price, but outside of the raw size (Hummers are worse) they work fine. Mine even has factory center and rear locker (NLA). Heh 100s, largest and most powerful, also get the best mileage, not thatits all that good. That said, I wheel my Land Rovers.

Basically comes down to emissions, safety regs and American taste. Mfg just dont think there is a market for non-luxo-utes. Wont find many, if any, vinyl interior work trucks on the sale lots anymore.

Plenty of JDM cars coming in split then getting titled. You'll see quite a few of them.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#11]
one of these?

whats so great about thaem?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:11:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
one of these?

members.chello.nl/a.stamps1/nissan%20skyline.jpg

whats so great about thaem?

Nice car....
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:31:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Funny thing is that my two favorite unobtainable vehciles are Nissans.  I'd love to have a Skyline and a diesel engined Australian-spec Patrol.  

I'm not sure about the Aus-spec Patrol, but U.S. street legal Nissan Skylines have been available here for a few years that I know of.  

If the Skyline is unobtainable to you it's probably a financial issue.

However, if you have the resources, here's a link to Motorex. They exclusively import new and used Japanese spec Nissan Skylines, and handle all the necessary modifications and paperwork to make them 100% street legal in all 50 states.

You can view a current list of Motorex Skylines available in the US below;

www.skylinegtr.com/STOCKLIST.html

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm not sure about the Aus-spec Patrol, but U.S. street legal Nissan Skylines have been available here for a few years that I know of.  

If the Skyline is unobtainable to you it's probably a financial issue.

However, if you have the resources, here's a link to Motorex. They exclusively import new and used Japanese spec Nissan Skylines, and handle all the necessary modifications and paperwork to make them 100% street legal in all 50 states.

You can view a current list of Motorex Skylines available in the US below;

www.skylinegtr.com/STOCKLIST.html

FACTORY US legal Skylines?

Or the above mentioned chopjobs?

I've never ever heard of a FACTORY available Skyline, but the above site's been around for a few years...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
These cars are not chop jobs, they are just modified to meet DOT, and EPA regulations here in the USA. They certainly add enough $$ to the sticker price for the work involved, but if you really want one they are available.

I just can't see spending $90K on a new R34, but then again I can't even afford to keep up the basic maintenance on my wife's '94 Chevy Blazer

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Factory may be a misnomer - Nissan North America Inc. will not support or warrant the vehicle. You will need to source parts elsewhere and insurance is a a bit more difficult. No worse than any nother low volume vehicle tho. Superformace S1, Caterhams, Sun Elises, all available. FOr the price of a Motrex tho, I'd prefer a Noble M12.

Motorex is a RI - Registered Importer; they post a serious bond, "federalize" the car - making sure the car is EPA, NHTSA and DOT compliant.  They specialize in Skylines, but there are quite a number of other RIs around. Its an expensive process, but the only legal way to import a vehicle not otherwise obtainable legally. The way its regulated now, almost any RI is very reputable, unless they want to loose their ass. Motorex does a good job, but their product is pricey - no way around it. Well, legally. Vehicle 25 years and over are exempt, so they are importable easily. Other "loopholes" exist, but they mostly are not practical.

I'd imagine there are a great deal more JDM cars that are imported and reconstituted, or are morphed 240SXs, with varying degrees of legality - but really, how would they know. Unless you are in a major accident, when the adjuster/investigators will start asking questions,  doesnt appear to be an issue - least from all the JDM vehicles I see running around. Little market in Japan for used cars, so it becomes econommic for them to go elsewhere. Many end up here, in whole or part.

Its not confined to Skylines, or even cars. Used to see a few RG500G, and still see things like BJ42 Cruisers, and late model Defenders, they just get driven across from Canada.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

I saw a Skyline in MI on I94 a few months back, between AA and Jackson.  Nissan has a Tech Center here and it had a manufacturer plate.  Didn't even have to be Nissan's, Ford and GM have huge fleets of competitive evaluation vehicles, see tons of foreign market vehicles around here.

The current Skyline in probably my favorite performance vehicle, love the sleeper looks.  Hope they don't water it down too much in the next generation.  Next one will be available here, supposed to be based off of the G35 coupe platform with a turbo version of the 4.5 liter V8.  Badged as an Infiniti, not a Nissan.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
did it have a big wing on it, 20" wheels and decals on it?

No...not yet.  

It pulled up to a liquor store next to me just as I got there myself.  The driver was some football-player-lookin, so-strong-he-shits-muscles type of guy--a black man, for whomever would care to know.  

I said off-hand without really looking at him: "now there's a rare car."  He seemed genuinely pleased that someone recognized its rarity.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw a guy in a car last night. Must have been the same guy!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The just don't import them, and it makes no sense.  I think US and Canada are the only countries in the world that Nissan doesn't sell the Patrol, and the US has the huge SUV market that you'd think they'd want to take advantage of.  Probably just as well because they'd probably do the same thing that Toyota does with the LC and load it full of luxury items and charge double the price.

But I'd still really like to have one.

The Skyline and Patrol are both available in the US, but they are not imported by Nissan.  The only way to get them is pay a lot of money to get one that an importer modified to comply with US laws, then pay a lot of money for any parts that need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Yey, another type "R" shitbox just what we need
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I's still take a Porsche over it, but its a very sweet looking car.

What retail?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Motorex at www.skylinegtr.com in California can sell you a DOT and smog approved R32, R33, or R34.  The last time I checked two years ago, a nearly new R34 GT-R V-Spec was $90,000.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#24]
The skyline is an extremly high-performance car. Stop bashing it cause its japanease. Furthermore, this rant is coming from a american truck owner. The skyline is amazing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I vaguely recall doing 140 down that road back in 1978.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I was reading about these not to long ago from what i recall they can be imported but they sit in customs for months and they are tuned down. if i had the cashola sitting around id get one. they are sweet looking
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yey, another type "R" shitbox just what we need

Those 'type "R" shitboxes' are capable of producing over 1000HP at the wheels.  I've got a video of one in Japan that's trying to leave the 4WD dyno.  This isn't your local rice boys Integra.  It's a seriousl performance vehicle.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
[...  Probably just as well because they'd probably do the same thing that Toyota does with the LC and load it full of luxury items and charge double the price.

At one time you could buy a G35 in Canada for about $5k less then in the US. Check out what Corvettes sell for in Europe,  its the way things work. Cruisers arent all that cheap elsewhere either - esp when you calculate the total cost of vehicle ownership.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Almost new R34 Vspecs here cost abotu 110k AUS.  I went to school with someone who's dad owns one.  Nobody but his dad is allowed to drive it...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I saw a red pickup the other day that had "F-150" on the side.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I saw a red pickup the other day that had "F-150" on the side.

Shit, I saw that one, too! I wonder how he got all the way up here?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top