Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 12:33:23 PM EDT
For about the past few weeks I've been waking up in the middle of the night thirsty as hell.  I always keep a small glass of water besides my bed in case I'm too lazy to get up and need a little drink at night.  Last week I started gulping down about 24oz's at a time, then would have to refill that glass a few times throughout the night.   Last night I said screw it and filled up a 1/2 gallon milk jug.  There was maybe an inch of water left in it this morning.  I also get up to take a leak about once a night too.  

I've been told I snore (quite a bit) so usually have a dry throat, hence the need for water.  Lately though it's been a feeling that my whole body's dehydrated.

I drink about 2, 12oz cans of pop in the morning, then about 32oz's of water during the day, followed by about 32 more oz's of water between dinner and bed time.  I also drink 2-6 beers a night or a couple glasses of Dewars on the rocks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to your doctor and get yourself checked for insulin-dependent diabetes RFN.  I speak from experience.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you overweight, sedentary, over 40, family history of diabetes etc? Get a physical exam, workup from an internist and a get your fasting blood glucose checked. Excessive thirst is a classic sign of diabetes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Stop salting that bacon sandwich you eat right before bedtime.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Go to your doctor and get yourself checked for insulin-dependent diabetes RFN.  I speak from experience.

+3 on the diabetes test and yes i speek from the same horribale experiance
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
That's how I found out I am diabetic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1.  Excessive, unexplained thirst can be a symptom of Adult onset Diabetes.  Also, remember that alcohol dehydrates you, so put down the beer and scotch,
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 I also drink 2-6 beers a night or a couple glasses of Dewars on the rocks.

Go a month without any alcohol at all and see how you do.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]

People don't actually do that, do they?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
No family history of diabetes on either side of the family,  just some mental illness (uncle on mom's side, Nam related) and a couple meth heads on dad's side that are locked away,  hopefully for a long time.

Over the past 3 years I have suffered from about 6 panic attacks.  2 of them kept me in the hospital overnight, and the last one they just shot me up with something to calm me down, I was only there about 2 hours.  It's weird because my heart just pounds through my chest and it's uncontrollable.  I feel like I'm going to come out of my body.  Very strange.  After the last attack my Dr. has put me on 3 different meds.  1 for general anxiety, 1 to slow my heart rate and lower blood pressure (even though bp was in normal range before) and another (xanax 1mg) to take if I start to feel signs of an oncoming attack.  I've had one minor attack since then, it was just this weekend when me and my brother stayed on the lake catfishing from 9am until 3am (18hrs)  We also went through 2 cases of beer so that might have had something to do with it.  

I don't think it's anything to do with diabetes.  I do get sugar cravings every now and then, especially when I don't drink for a couple weeks.  Cholesterol and BP are normal.  When I was in for the panic attacks I had a lot of tests and bloodwork done and nothing was abnormal or showed signs of any problems.  I have a checkup with my Dr. in about a month and will have them do a blood test and check again just in case.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

People don't actually do that, do they?

actually they do 5 years ago they told me i was alergic to alcahol (no Shit)  i was a johny walker blue or green drinker  1 drink a night  for years then sudenlya drnik just about killed me the doc said no more no beer wine anything god what a bitch   defintly go get it checked i let it go to long and no look im so...sober it hurts
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+3 on the diabetes test and yes i speek from the same horribale experiance

I am not diabetic, but this was my first thought after reading your post!  

Go to the Dr. !  NOW!

Edit:   Didn't read the part about you getting tests done.   In that case... it is prob the booze!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I also drink 2-6 beers a night or a couple glasses of Dewars on the rocks.

Shit, I usually drink a lot more than that before bed and I don't wake up during the night thirsty. Now when the alarm goes off in the morning on the other hand, I'm thirsty as fuck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No family history of diabetes on either side of the family,  just some mental illness (uncle on mom's side, Nam related) and a couple meth heads on dad's side that are locked away,  hopefully for a long time.

Over the past 3 years I have suffered from about 6 panic attacks.  2 of them kept me in the hospital overnight, and the last one they just shot me up with something to calm me down, I was only there about 2 hours.  It's weird because my heart just pounds through my chest and it's uncontrollable.  I feel like I'm going to come out of my body.  Very strange.  After the last attack my Dr. has put me on 3 different meds.  1 for general anxiety, 1 to slow my heart rate and lower blood pressure (even though bp was in normal range before) and another (xanax 1mg) to take if I start to feel signs of an oncoming attack.  I've had one minor attack since then, it was just this weekend when me and my brother stayed on the lake catfishing from 9am until 3am (18hrs)  We also went through 2 cases of beer so that might have had something to do with it.  

I don't think it's anything to do with diabetes.  I do get sugar cravings every now and then, especially when I don't drink for a couple weeks.  Cholesterol and BP are normal.  When I was in for the panic attacks I had a lot of tests and bloodwork done and nothing was abnormal or showed signs of any problems.  I have a checkup with my Dr. in about a month and will have them do a blood test and check again just in case.

How's your weight?

Any vision problems?

Feet tingle?

Get it checked, excessive thirst is a possible sign, as are the others I listed.  Doesn't matter what your prior tests showed, you can develop adult onset diabetes late in life.

Get this checked, and not "in about a month."  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Could be a combination of things; medication you may be on can certainly cause the symptoms you're having. In addition, since you mention that this happens at night, breathing with your mouth open will cause your salivary glands to dry right up.

>Are you having dry-mouth? Are your eyes dry as well?
> Do you have taste changes; when eating sweets or spices?

Listen, chances are the meds are producing this but get checked out. Also keep an eye on the amount of saliva you are producing. Let me know if you have trouble eating dry foods like crackers or dry cereal. May have to do with salivary glands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top